SS UU Scolipede's Sun Squad!

So, I've recently been getting into UU... uh, primarily to use Scolipede in the only tier it's semi-viable, but that's beside the point. But to that end, I ended up on the idea of a Sun team focused around eliminating key threats, denting walls, in the service of facilitating Scolipede to clean at the end of the game.

545-0.png

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
The namer of the Team and the Star. A fairly standard set with the one change of forgoing Bug STAB with Rock Slide. I've found the additional coverage to be worth losing a bit of power, especially against overconfident flying types.
324-0.png

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
The "Sun," part of the Squad, Torkoal is fairly self-explanatory. Bulky, effective Sun-Setter that can survive over the course of a game and keep the sun up well. Being able to spread Toxic, set rocks and spin away opposing rocks is an added bonus.
3-0.png

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
One of two... Scalpels, for lack of a better term on the team. Venusaur is here to wax dangerous threats after a single Growth, namely rocks and steels, although when Sun disappears it becomes fairly helpless. Often wins games on its own, but if Sun can't stay up, neither can it.
555-0.png

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
While the two bordering Darm are the Scalpels of the team, meant to pick off threats efficiently, Darm is a sledgehammer. I use Darm over Moltres here for one reason; the extra speed. I found that the little bit of extra speed that Darm provides makes it better for cleaving open a hole in the opposing team. Its better move-pool as a revenge killer is also useful, which is why I upped on the speed factor with a Scarf.
534-0.png

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
The team's other Scalpel, Conkeldurr hits like a freight-train and neuters would-be walls with Knock Off and Guts boosted Facade. Mach Punch lets it wack weakened opponents with a well-timed switch and can dent speedier resists as a sacrifice.
download (4).png

Weezing-Galar @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Clear Smog
- Strange Steam
Weezing's an oddball here. I have G-Weezing on the team specifically because it fulfills a few specific things I seemed to need; a bulky tank to stop Fighting, Dark, and Normal attackers. I initially used Chansey, but found it folded to fighters too badly. Then I swapped to G-Corsola, but I had the same problem, just with Darks. After that it was Slowking, but I still couldn't deal with Darks. Now, my latest attempt is with G-Weezing, given its good physical bulk and resistances to two of the aforementioned types. As a bonus, it can act as a general support for the team by crippling walls with Toxic, healing status with Aromatherapy, and stopping boosters with Clear Smog.​
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, that about does that. All feedback is appreciated, and I thank you for your time looking at my team.
I hope you have a wonderful day/night/evening/7:42P.M. GMT/etc.​

Hey, nice looking team. Sun is a fun archetype in UU right now so I like that you have here. I do have a couple of suggestions that could help you out though.

:Torkoal:
Toxic is nice, but Yawn is nicer. Yawn has two great outcomes; first is they fall asleep which allows you to bring in and set up another teammate or two they have to switch which again gives you a free switch as well. This should help momentum significantly in the early game and let you bring in Venusaur or Scolipede more easily and quickly.

From here there are two options I was considering so I'll post both and you try it out and choose which you prefer.

:Weezing-Galar:
I'd change up the set here to the following:
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
First we keep Strange Steam as your primary attack. Next we add Pain Split for longevity. Will-O-Wisp is vaguely similar to Clear Smog, but it means physical attackers are now weakened permanently. Last is Defog because you have 3 teammates that are all weak to Stealth Rock. Having Rapid Spin on just Torkoal might not be enough and could mean Torkoal dies faster.

The other option would be a more offensive approach:
:Weezing-Galar: -> :Hatterene:
Hatterene can still deal with the types you were struggling with but in a more offensive manor. You can set up and sweep with Hatterene and not be forced to rely on Sun or Scolipede and Venusaur. The secondary benefit is Magic Bounce which can help proactively block hazards from being set against you.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas and you get some better results! Both team versions are listed below. (Click the icons)

:Scolipede::Torkoal::Venusaur::Darmanitan::Conkeldurr::Weezing-Galar:

:Scolipede::Torkoal::Venusaur::Darmanitan::Conkeldurr::Hatterene:

Hey, nice looking team. Sun is a fun archetype in UU right now so I like that you have here. I do have a couple of suggestions that could help you out though.

:Torkoal:
Toxic is nice, but Yawn is nicer. Yawn has two great outcomes; first is they fall asleep which allows you to bring in and set up another teammate or two they have to switch which again gives you a free switch as well. This should help momentum significantly in the early game and let you bring in Venusaur or Scolipede more easily and quickly.

From here there are two options I was considering so I'll post both and you try it out and choose which you prefer.

:Weezing-Galar:
I'd change up the set here to the following:
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
First we keep Strange Steam as your primary attack. Next we add Pain Split for longevity. Will-O-Wisp is vaguely similar to Clear Smog, but it means physical attackers are now weakened permanently. Last is Defog because you have 3 teammates that are all weak to Stealth Rock. Having Rapid Spin on just Torkoal might not be enough and could mean Torkoal dies faster.

The other option would be a more offensive approach:
:Weezing-Galar: -> :Hatterene:
Hatterene can still deal with the types you were struggling with but in a more offensive manor. You can set up and sweep with Hatterene and not be forced to rely on Sun or Scolipede and Venusaur. The secondary benefit is Magic Bounce which can help proactively block hazards from being set against you.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas and you get some better results! Both team versions are listed below. (Click the icons)

:Scolipede::Torkoal::Venusaur::Darmanitan::Conkeldurr::Weezing-Galar:

:Scolipede::Torkoal::Venusaur::Darmanitan::Conkeldurr::Hatterene:
I've started using the Hatterene version of the team and so far I'm thinking it's a lot better. After a few goes with the revised Weezing I realized that the team has a horrific weakness to Psychic, which Hatterene also fixes. That, combined with Magic Bounce which pairs well with Torkoal, (Torkoal being so horrifically slow makes it risky to stay in on opposing rock setting leads like Azelf or Excadrill from my experience, so swapping to Hatterene can solve two problems at once. Reflects rocks and is bulky enough to tank anything a common lead would do, even if it's supereffective.) makes Hatterene fit excellently.

I've started using the Hatterene version of the team and so far I'm thinking it's a lot better. After a few goes with the revised Weezing I realized that the team has a horrific weakness to Psychic, which Hatterene also fixes. That, combined with Magic Bounce which pairs well with Torkoal, (Torkoal being so horrifically slow makes it risky to stay in on opposing rock setting leads like Azelf or Excadrill from my experience, so swapping to Hatterene can solve two problems at once. Reflects rocks and is bulky enough to tank anything a common lead would do, even if it's supereffective.) makes Hatterene fit excellently.
I don't know if updates count as bumps but either way. Been experimenting more with the team and made the following changes;

Scolipede --> @ Choice Band, Megahorn replaces Swords Dance.
I found very few chances to set up a dance. Immediate power via a Banded set seemed like the best option to fix that, choosing that over a sash for a lesser weakness to priority.

Darmanitan --> Rotom-H
I found the team struggled against physical walls in many ways, with only two special attackers that both relied on either set up or a switch to function well. Rotom-H seemed like a good fix to that. It benefits from Sun without being reliant on it like Venusaur, and functions excellently as a revenge killer with a scarf. Good bulk gives it opportunities to switch in as well, and Volt Switch keeps momentum going.

Conkelldurr --> Tentacruel
This is the biggest change, but I found that Conkelldurr was too slow to function well. Mach Punch didn't deal nearly enough damage to make up for its lack of power, even with a Guts boost. At the same time, I realized that the team lacked any sort of dedicated special wall and, despite two ways to play around rocks, was still too weak to the sneaky pebbles. This is exactly where Tentacruel falls in. Its high special bulk allows it to function well as a wall and a poison resistence pairs it very well with Hatterene, and rapid spin allows it to remove any rocks that sneak onto the field. It also reprises Conkelldurr's support role with Knock Off, and is able to deal good damage with Poison STAB and Ice Beam.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not entirely sure about the swap to Tentacruel yet, but it's served me pretty well so far. My main goal was an additional anti-hazard 'mon that was specially bulky, and in my eyes it came down to Rotom-W, Tentacruel, and Klefki. I ended up choosing Tentacruel primarily for the additional bulk plus team support with knock off.
\/ Current version of the Team \/
Scolipede's Sun Squad (pokepast.es)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)