Metagame SCL II UU Discussion

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Welcome to the Smogon Champions League 2 Discussion Thread -- UU edition! This thread will be used to discuss UU in SCL II related topics, whether it’s about the players, general metagame trends, matches, predictions and so on.

Commencement Thread
Schedule

Pricelist
Not all of these players necessarily start/play UU in the tour. * on retains.

Punny - 32000*
SoulWind - 26500
TDK - 20500
Ayaka - 18000
crying - 18000
LNumbers - 14500*
Highways - 14000
GXE - 10000*
Lyss - 10000
pdt - 10000*
ProDigeZz - 9000
mncmt - 8000
robjr - 7000
Lily - 5500
Dugza - 5000
udongirl - 5000
avarice - 3000
bb skarm - 3000
hariyana grande - 3000
KM - 3000
KSt3ve - 3000
Meru - 3000
pokemonisfun - 3000
Raichy - 3000

UU Player Cores

Orange Islanders -- avarice, mncmt, pdt, Sage
Indigo Platoon -- GXE, TDK
Power Plant Dynamos -- SoulWind, KSt3ve
Uncharted Terrors -- Lyss, Meru
Technical Machines -- pokemonisfun, Dugza
Arena Spartans -- Lily, udongirl
Showdown Shoguns -- crying, Poek, Raichy
Mount Silver Foxes -- Highways, KM
Circuit Breakers -- Ayaka, LNumbers, Punny, robjr
Studio Gible -- bb skarm, hariyana grande, ProDigeZz

~

Here's to a fun SCL!​

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
I am extremely shocked pif, who has farmed every individual since the dawn of this gen + great UUPL + managing a team in finals in UUSD went for….3k? Apparently 4 games he played years ago weigh more than everything else.

It’s nice to see some new faces on the Terrors and Gibles. I hope they do well also.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Rankings (rankings only based on the level of the bolded players, including the other potential support names for reference)

1) Arena Spartans -- Lily, udongirl - Udon on the top in my view, she has a couple things going for her: 1) they are incredibly skilled as shown by their current tie for first in UUSD, 2) they keep fresh by laddering, 2.5) they recently beat me a lot more when laddering than I have beaten her which frankly is meaningful considering how much I ladder, 3) they have a very special take on the metagame, using mons/sets that aren't meta at all but still function well - this is a great advantage as any mon player will know.

2) Orange Islanders -- avarice, mncmt, pdt, Sage - PDT has had basically the best UUPL and UUSD combined (and in each) which is nothing to sneeze at - he's not first because he's coming off a loss from UUSD. But to test form, you actually need to see how well players react to losses - if the loss was a hard fought loss as opposed to a complete collapse and the player keeps up good effort in later games, that's a sign they are in form.

3) Circuit Breakers -- Ayaka, LNumbers, Punny, robjr - last year's best SCL record...hasn't played much UU since then as far as I know? This is more of a legacy thing than anything. After working closely with him last year, I must say he did work harder than any other starter I have ever seen and there is of course real strong talent. But he is also frankly never happy with his builds it seems and the test of form I mentioned when ranking pdt, doesn't seem to speak to LNumber's strength - once it was bad, he just didn't take the loss well at all. That said, in my view he had the most impressive 2021 UU performance when combining this with a perfect UUWC streak which he also won. So clark is still very solidly in the top 3 for me.

4) Uncharted Terrors -- Lyss, Meru - Lyss is the likely player I believe as Meru mentioned he doesn't want to UU - and in my view she along with hariyana, prodigezz and possibly bb skarm definitely takes the cake for the most improved player over the past say two years. I do think she could be a hit or miss because of 1 reason: anyone who sees Lyss type in UU discord knows she has very strong opinions on the metagame, or at least so she expresses it. If she happens to be right on her opinions (and this is more likely than not), then she will find great success. But if she doubles downs on things that don't work, this could be the biggest danger. That said, she is remarkably consistent and basically never performs very poorly, contrary to what I said before. Meru's had his first bad UU tournament in years in UUSD - time to see how he reacts to it if he plays.

5) Power Plant Dynamos -- SoulWind, KSt3ve - SoulWind got 6-0d by Ramolost so no chance he plays, kst3ve is another fiend who has made hugely influential innovations, or at least recognized their worth, such as using sun + darm and Registeel at fairly high levels of play. How many more of these gems does he have or is he all out before the tournament even starts? I don't doubt he will be able to execute the gems, he was the engine for the jerk in UUPL and UUSD I believe, but the question is how much more can he produce.

6) Platoon -- GXE, TDK - honestly I don't know, TDK hasn't played much SS UU but he, frankly, shocked me by outperforming in UU Invitational recently. But why put him low (and why above the actual winner of UU Invitational, Highways?). Well I just don't know how much he is into the metagame which in my view is always a bad thing.

7) Studio Gible -- bb skarm, hariyana grande, ProDigeZz - it's not particularly clear who will play to me but I will pick the one with the most recent strong gen8uu results - that is bb skarm in UU Open. Why is he in the bottom third of this? Well the bottom third of arguable the top 10 or 30 players or so still means you're like in the top 30 right? I do wonder how much he wants to win - not in the sense that he's unmotivated, but in the sense he's a bit transcended and feels at ease with his mons regardless of the result (and also in the sense he seems to be a player that cares more about playing well than winning).

8) Mount Silver Foxes -- Highways, KM - the invitational champion is squarely in my bottom - he hasn't won THAT many ss uu games recently - as far as I know, most of the invite wins were in oras and sm and all of the UUSD wins were from SM.

9) Showdown Shoguns -- crying, Poek, Raichy - yes putting the slam finalist as last - why? Well, anyone who watches her games knows she brings insane shit and I'm not sure there is anyone here to moderate her metagame takes. They could work. But if it was that easy, everyone would be using this stuff!! Right...?

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
week one is up! be sure to check out the official power rankings featuring writeups by Lily for UU too!

[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - last time these two faced off pif brought stall twice and got smacked. i think pif will run a more solid team this time around, but it's hard to disregard Poek's prowess even though he hasn't dumped hours into laddering
[SPA] Lily vs Lyss [TER] - my favorite mu this week, I think Lily has a strong understanding of Lyss as a player and Lyss will need to use something outside of her comfort zone for a win here, but both players are capable of outplaying a bad matchup
[GIB] BB Skarm vs LNumbers [BRE] - been awhile since Clark has had to play ss uu, and while it would take absurd luck to recreate his results from last year, odds are he'll go positive in the weaker pool. Bb skarm is probably getting in a million tests, but Clark won't be taking chances anyhow.
[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA] - better in the builder and at battling even if he hasn't had to play ss a lot recently

[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS]
[SPA] lily vs lyss [TER]
[GIB] BB Skarm vs LNumbers [BRE]
[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA]
[ISL] pdt vs Highways [FOX]

spell

breathe again in the world anew
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - Don't really know what to think about this one given that pif hasn't done that well in his stint in official team tournaments while still being one of the better UU players. Maybe some people just do better in individuals... 60-40
[SPA] Lily vs Lyss [TER] - This one will probably be very close as I don't really believe one is that much better than the other. 50-50 but i'll go with Lyss because I like her support option more + respect how bold she is with her takes.
[GIB] BB Skarm vs LNumbers [BRE] - 50-50
[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA] - This matchup is interesting, KSt3ve to my knowledge has not been the best in UU team tournaments, yet is starting in SCL with only himself to rely on; normally this would be fine but it doesn't inspire much confidence when his opponent is someone as experienced and skilled as TDK. 85-15 though I think Steve is more up-to-date with current meta.
[ISL] pdt vs Highways [FOX] - pdt is just more consistent in UU than freitas, as evident by his exploits this year in both UUPL and UUSD. I would not count Highways out entirely, though. 65-35.

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - Not counting pif out since his individual performance in uu tours more than speaks for himself but pif hasnt really been able to translate those performances to official team tournaments yet, while poek has been more proven and is usually a good pilot in most tiers he plays. Should be an interesting game and pif definitely has the meta knowledge to potentially bring something that could do well here as long as he doesnt stay too much in his comfort zone teamwise. 60-40.

[SPA] lily vs lyss [TER] - I rate lyss a bit higher as a player recently but i think that lily can be wild enough on the builder to bring something that will be good vs lyss usual ''safer'' kind of teams. 51-49.

[GIB] BB Skarm vs LNumbers [BRE] - Both will definitely tryhard as fuck going really crazy at scouts, analyses, tests and stuff but even though Clark hasn't played UU in a while since his great performance last SCL i still think that he's the more solid player. 35-65.

[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA] - While i do rate Ksteve highly as a builder and he's more in touch with the meta i think that his performances haven't really been that surprising and TDK has ton of experience playing in bigger tours, can build solidly and while he might not be that deep into the meta he should be up to date with stuff since he played in UU Invitational and managed in UUSD and also can definitely be pretty creative in the builder. 35-65.

[ISL] pdt vs Highways [FOX] - one has a crazy record across UU tours and the other was 0-11 in UUPL at some point like.... (it's the hl game of the week for sure, i'd say 50-50 but im gonna make it 51-49 so highways has one more reason to win...)

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - 60-40. During the preseason i talked a bit about the reasons behind me ranking pif fairly low when i shared my own rankings, and on top of the aforementioned points of him not translating his subforum performances to official teamtours and his records behind very quiet recently compared to usual, with him playing little tours and more so dedicating himself to tutoring new guys (which you're amazing for btw), I also am not a fan of his team choices in current metagame, and I don't think the meta in general works in a favourable way for him. Poek is an amazing pilot, very rarely makes mistakes and is one of the best players to ever touch lower tiers to me. Add to this that he tried building for himself during UU Invitational and almost singlehandedly made rain a playstyle, or at least gave the base for future versions of it, and he also built for Garay in slam finals. I'm all for pif surprising me and taking home this win, but I give a decent edge to Poek here.

[GIB] BB Skarm vs LNumbers [BRE] - 35-65. I have not seen much of skarm in UU before other than some of his UU Open games that were highly questionable and although the last few times i've seen Clark playing UU weren't really convincing (other than last SCL), I think he's still a decent UU pilot that really excels in prep, which i think plays a HUGE part in this metagame the same way it did last SCL, where he had an insanely dominant run. I think he also improved as a player in the last year, having solid records across the board in multiple tiers, so I expect him to do well and to start off here with a convincing win.

[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA] - 40-60. I think that St3ve is underrated, imo deserves more credits for the player he is than he gets, I just wish he took more time to think things through. I'm not sure about him starting but i'm rooting for him and think he will end up picking up some wins especially because he's a solid prepper, although he often defaults to his comfort zone. I don't expect him to win here though, Carson is one of the best players in the history of UU although he somehow never found himself starting in UU in an official teamtour apparently. THAT SAID, I think he'll do well and i'm looking forward to his teams and ideas. What I think will happen here is that St3ve has little to no data to go off from and will bring the most french team ever, which somehow gets owned by Carson's random Sneasel pick.

[ISL] pdt vs Highways [FOX] - 55-45. Highlight of the week for sure, both players have had a ton of success in SS, with pdt going positive in literally every single tournament ever except last SCL (where tbf he got like 1 or 2 games idr) and Highways having a very strong UUPL and a decent showing in last year's SCL. That said, I think the meta fits pdt's building style perfectly which is why i decided to rank him first in the rankings. his teams are somehow the best and the worst thing i've ever seen at the same time, but they also somehow ALWAYS work which i find very interesting to look at. Both are very good players so i gave a small edge to pdt since i expect him to get a favourable mu and play well w/ it, but I think highways can easily take it home himself, especially since he hasn't really shown much of what he thinks is good and what not in SS in the last few months. Really looking forward to this game though.

gl to everyone, i hope we can start off this UU SCL party with some cool games

umbry

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS] 55-45 | Poek plays better pokemon games and usually brings better teams and can very well pull up with any kind of crack at any given time, he hasn't played in a while but if he's in good form he should be very clearly near the top of the pool. On the other hand pif is someone who very rarely deviates from his preferred 2-3 styles and the last time this matchup happened poek seemed very aware of pif's comfort zone so that could be the deciding factor here.

[SPA] Lily vs Lyss [TER] 49-51 | I rate both players pretty similar and they should know eachother well, probably the closest matchup of the week. Very slight edge to lyss as she's less likely to gaslight herself into thinking mons like mamoswine are good...

[GIB] bb skarm vs LNumbers [BRE] 30-70 | Clark tryhards prep like no one else and I rate him a lot higher than his opponent, I believe he's on board for another good season.

[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA] 35-65 | This is probably my favorite mu of the week, both are gonna bring some ungodly cracked teams and it'll be super fun to watch. Carson is great and realistically he should be heavily favored here BUT you all ever see those movies where the student somehow unlocks some inner power for no real reason tbh but they end surpassing the master, yeah, also teaming with luthier gives steven a significant main character boost.

[ISL] pdt vs Highways [FOX] 55-45 | HL of the week between two of my favorite players. pdt is arguably in his best form right now whereas highways has been struggling a bit in finding his place in this meta. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the result were to swing the other way as highways and km have great synergy and can definitely exploit some of pdt's tendencies as he's very stubborn but on paper betting against pdt is a little insane now also considering the huge amount of support he has on his team, moderate edge.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
[SHO] Poek vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - Closest MU of the week for me. I think Poek has the better play and pif has the better teams. Should be a very nice game - if Poek ends up with a solid team I think he takes it, but otherwise I'm like, 51/49 in favour of pif.

[GIB] bb skarm vs LNumbers [BRE] - Hard to argue against the more proven commodity here, but people are always super dangerous in their first officials without any data to go off, so Clark will have his work cut out for him against skarm.

[DYN] KSt3ve vs TDK [PLA] - Sorry kevin steven but I think Carson will sweep this pool with immense ease if he doesn't sabotage himself in the builder like he usually does

[ISL] pdt vs Highways [FOX] - I do slightly favour pdt over Highways but probably not by much at all. Both of these players are interesting because of how similar they are; they were both always above-average guys you'd wanna get for stuff like UUPL or UUSD that hadn't quite broken the barrier for officials yet, and now here we are with them both having risen meteorically into a position among the community's best. Turnover and stuff has something to do with that I'm sure, but you have to respect the huge improvement. Anyway, no real justification here - just wanna go with my gut and say pdt will take it home week 1.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I'm going to try to analyze my games every week, win or lose - I think you can derive more learning value from watching the game without looking at the team so I'm not going to post my paste until perhaps the end of the season - I don't necessarily want to reveal my entire team either so please don't ask me publicly what EVs/moves/set a certain Pokemon was.

This is both for my benefit to double check for mistakes and I go over concepts that can help any competitive player I- no insult meant to my opponent, I'm just trying to appreciate the game for what it is, as I've been doing since my first post on Smogon.

I'm going to go over this Sunday, 8:00 PM, GMT-4 live in pia! (pokemon is awesome, a uu focused discord server that helps people get into UU through learning/competing/contributing):

https://discord.gg/NPGuU5Fc?event=1018165754241232966

Analysis of week 1 vs Poek: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-647014

Match Up and Lead -
1662815469315.png

To begin, I define a match up advantage as being able to have a good chance to win while making level 1 plays. A level 1 play is not predicting (clicking Hydro Pump with Primarina on a Hippowdwon is a level 1 play, clicking Flip Turn to anticipate the Chansey is a prediction, level 2 play - this is oversimplifying things, but the example should provide you some clarity).

In my view, the match up advantage in this case largely hinges on the Starmie set. There's a few ways to approach who has the better match up. I'm going to talk about two ways, which are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The first, you can look at the direct 1v1 between the mons - i.e., ask yourself, do I have great counters to my opponent's threats? So I have a Prim for the opponent's Hydreigon, an Excadrill for a Nihilego, and an Amoonguss for a Tangrowth - all of which indicates a very strong MU for me. But there are some issues still, namely, my opponent has a Skarmory for my Excadrill and Tangrowth for my Sub CM Prim/Raikou. Two reasons lead me to believe this "direct 1v1" approach indicates I have a better match up. First, Prim and Raikou can actually make progress vs Tangrowth, after a burn, Tangrowth has a pretty poor match up versus even one of these mons, let alone both of them. Both Prim and Raikou can easily Scald burn Tangrowth as the game goes on. Second, we haven't talked about Starmie and Conkeldurr yet. Conkeldurr is devastating into my opponent since it gets opportunities to spam moves on Diggersby, Hydreigon and Nihilego at a minimum, and likely on Tangrowth too. Starmie can be devasting for me as well, but as shown later it's likely not an offensive set (it has Leftovers). In short, my Conk is bigger than his threat (Starmie) and my win conditions can make more progress than his vs the "hard counters."

The second, you can look at how strong the win conditions are - i.e., ask yourself, what is the most likely way I can sweep/win this game and how will that be achieved? For me, it seems the moment Tangrowth gets burned, CM Prim and CM Raikou become incredibly strong. My Scarf Hydreigon is also a significant threat as my opponent has no Fairy - again, it would help to burn Tangrowth for this. For my opponent, Scarf Diggersby can certainly start to sweep with just correct predictions (if it gets a free turn vs Exca or Raikou for example, it can immediately make progress on it's own by predicting correctly). Everything else though requires support - his Hydreigon is never making progress unless my Prim somehow gets mauled, his Starmie is defensive and probably can't sweep, Nihi can't make quick enough progress vs Excadrill. Thus, this approach yields a similar conclusion - I have a match up advantage.

An additional point to "how strong the win cons are" point - ask yourself what does your win condition open up for your opponent. As I noted, Conkeldurr is a huge threat for me to use - if my analysis is right and Diggersby is one of the best ways for my opponent to make progress, well just note that whenever Diggersby does get a kill, my Conkeldurr can come right back in to threaten a kill of it's own. My opponent has no such recourse - they can't bring in a big threat after my Conkeldurr claims, since their Starmie is not offensive.

Given that I believe I have a MU advantage, I choose a very mild lead - Scarf Hydreigon to scout whatever my opponent wants to do. My opponent also chooses Hydreigon, but as I see they have Diggersby and I know I'm Scarf, I feel quite comfortable in U-Turning.

Early Advantage
1662817363525.png

So my opponent decides not to stay in turn 1 which is pretty reasonable considering he later reveals his Hydreigon is not Scarfed (which I assumed since he had Diggersby anyways, a common Scarfer). The question is, did Poek make an error already on turn 1? Nihilego is reasonable but so was Tangrowth, the benefit of Tangrowth, is that it limits Conkeldurr much more than Nihilego does. He should be denying my main win condition as much entry as possible, which Nihilego just doesn't do. It's possible he though I'd U-Turn to Excadrill, which makes sense and would be a reasonable play - but I don't think I can keep Rocks up vs Starmie anyways + why not try to make progress right away with Conk? In any case, I Knock Off knowing that it will make great progress vs Skarmory (getting rid of Helmet helps Exca and Conkeldurr later), Tangrowth (no AV = very good for Raikou/Prim) and of course it will kill Starmie which is what happens. By the end of turn 2, I clearly have a very big advantage.

Mixed signals increase the advantage

The mixed signal here was on turn 3 - as I said previously, I assumed Hydreigon was not Scarf since he has a Diggersby. But he uses Hydreigon here to force my Conkeldurr out, I wanted to scout LO/Specs Draco Meteor which could kill me. Psychologically as well, people tend to try and preserve things if it looks like it might be good and just made progress - my Conkeldurr just got a free KO, of course I want to play safely with him now. However, he uses U-Turn on turn 3 which gives me a mixed signal - the only U-Turn Hydreigon set commonly run is Choice Scarf. Specs usually uses runs 4 special moves or Sleep Talk/Roost as the last slot, obviously he didn't take Life Orb damage. So the signal I am now getting, combined with the fact he led Hydreigon (people often lead Scarfers), indicates to me he IS Choice Scarf Hydreigon and the Diggersby set is some stall breaker set - makes sense since I am known for being a stall player. All of this and the next few turns was very logical to me which led to this:

1662818124142.png

Whoops. Apparently his Diggersby WAS Choice Scarf. I kept in Excadrill because I didn't want him to get free progress with some dangerous Diggersby set. I knew there was a good chance my Excadrill will die, but at least with an EQ it's easily in Scald range of either of my Scalders/Grass range of Amoong, Mach Punch range of Conk/Dark Pulse range of Hydreigon. I also knew Excadrill wasn't valuable into Skarmory. Of course he could have got free progress with EQ, but I just didn't think at this point Diggersby was Scarf.

These mixed signals were very lucky for me, I didn't understand the truth of the position (he was Scarf Bunny) but I still ended up clicking the right move.

Double, double, toil and trouble, Scald burn and...

1662818411636.png

The next few turns have a ton of doubles that only make illusory progress for my opponent. Yes, my Excadrill is getting chipped down by Rocky Helmet but I am stopping hazards which would produce more progress for my opponent than Rocky Helmet chip, I already said Excadrill is not valuable, and notably, I am also making progress here. Every bit of SR damage on Skarmory is helpful as it increases the chance my Conkeldurr can sweep - that's my win con, not Excadrill.

For those of you who do not know, a double switch is when you anticipate your opponent to switch out so you switch yourself to a Pokemon that beats the expected Pokemon. You cannot double switch if your opponent clicks U-Turn or a similar momentum move which is why they are so strong, indeed momentum moves are at their zenith this generation of UU. Turn 16 is an example of a double switch - my opponent knew I'd go Prim or Raikou on Skarmory, so they went Tangrowth. I will criticize my opponent their and say they should have Toxiced, as they reveal Toxic Skarmory later, but they did not know my Primarina didn't have Rest, so this is likely why they didn't Toxic.

I know at this point my opponent has to make predictions (level 2 plays!) in order to win so I feel very comfortable using Substitute on Tangrowth, as he is most likely using Knock Off or attempting a double switch. Substitute is risk free as 25% of my health (less after Leftovers) is basically nothing, still have plenty to counter Hydreigon later. The Substitute works out and gives me two more chances at least to throw Scalds out, which culiminates in burning Tangrowth.

Final Obstacle: Be Careful

After Tangrowth is burned, I basically have a 100% win although it's not necessarily clear how to achieve it (it's dynamic, ie, relies on what my opponent does, but I have little doubt it should be 100% win anyways). I kill Tangrowth with Conkeldurr (it was very likely for me to Substitute on turn 21 which is why they do not attempt a double) which yields this position:

1662819193397.png

I will say, my opponent moved extremely fast here, almost trying to fake me out and just play out some last moves before forfeiting. It looks obvious Conkeldurr can just Mach Punch here for a KO to wrap things up even more quickly, but I correctly sense that they might be trying still and want Rocky Helmet damage on Conkeldurr - if they somehow kill Conkeldurr, maybe, just maybe the combination of their remaining Pokemon can win, after all, I am weak to Nihilego as my Excadrill is at low health.

So I make a very safe switch to Primarina to keep Conkeldur healthy and make more progress on a potential Skarmory. The Toxic surprises me but it's not nearly enough and Raikou simply sweeps directly after that.

With that - I get my first victory in this tournament, help even the score vs Poek who recently defeated me 2-0 in UU 2021 Championships, and calm a lot of my nerves as I was scared having not played in an official for a few years now. It was fairly motivating to see people predict largely against me but generally speaking, those predictions aren't misinformed, it's not like anyone had much more than a 60% chance to win, if that before preview. Some concepts I discussed were match up advantage definition, two ways to approach it, double switch, moving fast as a tactic in bad position, and trying to analyze signals/sets during the game itself.

Thanks for reading and the support my friends, I'll be doing this a bit more in depth in pia this weekend and trying to do it for other people's games at least a few times this tournament.

avarice

greedy for love
RoAPL Champion
Week 2 is up!

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA] - highways agreed to rfn and pussied out
[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO] - tdk played great last week after nerfing himself with golurk, and it's very evident poek doesn't have outside support
[BRE] LNumbers vs KSt3ve [DYN] - didnt rly like either person's team last week, I think clark is the better player but kst3ve seems more in touch with the meta
[TER] Lyss vs bb skarm [GIB] - both achieved their first win on the sheet! i think Lyss is significantly more comfortable in the tier, as both a builder and battler. i liked lyss's team a lot with nihilego proving to really great against lily. bb skarm outright ignored ho against clark (famously cheesed a ton of wins last yr) praying for good broken glowbro mu. i don't think lyss will leave herself open to that sort of fish when she's more active than clark

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA]
[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO]
[BRE] LNumbers vs KSt3ve [DYN]
[TER] Lyss vs bb skarm [GIB]
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs pdt [ISL]

spell

breathe again in the world anew
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
2/4 last week, 2/4 in total thus far.

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA] - Highways' game last week vs. pdt wasn't the most ideal, since he got quite unlucky vs him BUT he still played a pretty good game. Lily meanwhile also is 0-1 and probably less motivated to win this game than Highways is, so he'll probably edge her out a smidge. 55-45 favour of Highways.
[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO] - Poek's showing last week was... not the best but that was definitely more of a team issue than anything else. He doesn't have support so i'm assuming he's just building his teams on his own and if he brings something similar to what he brought last week then it's kind of dire. TDK on the other hand played well and builds well so i'm more inclined to bold him so yeah. 55-45 favour of TDK. Note that Poek still could probably win, just more or less depends on what he brings.
[BRE] LNumbers vs KSt3ve [DYN] - Though Clark got 6-0d last week, I believe he is still a much better player than KSt3ve. 70-30 favour of LNumbers.
[TER] Lyss vs bb skarm [GIB] - yass reina
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs pdt [ISL] - yass pdt

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
3/4 last week (i'm counting the pif one)

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA] - Highways rn?

[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO] - The Jerk war returns, both had weird teams / games last week. Poek's team was definitely questionable but I mean there's only so much you can do into broken ass Primarina so I can't really hold that against him too much. TDK on the other hand loaded a Golurk team which would've probably made people consider him to be a god in 2020 but sadly the fad has faded and instead it just looked a bit bad but hey I think it got a kill. That said, what is clear to me between these two similarly skilled players is one thing: TDK is actively trying to build and Poek took from the teambuilding comp thread. I think that'll give Carson the edge but Poek has built this tier before and I hope he starts again bc his mind for the game is super unique and will definitely have a good shot against Carson's bullshit.

[BRE] LNumbers vs KSt3ve [DYN] - Honestly I'm pretty surprised that I'm doing this but I thought KSt3ve's game last week was fairly okay, he did sabotage himself a bit in the builder though. Clark on the other hand also played ok but sabotaged himself in the builder even harder, so I'm bolding steve on the basis that I think he'll load something better. It's up in the air but I think Clark's meta knowledge is just not there atm, and it's hard to bold him until he gets a little more up to speed.

[TER] Lyss vs bb skarm [GIB] - Both players got their first sheet wins last week, congrats guys! Lyss smashed me and taught me that I need to use Wide Lens more often, while skarm fished for a good matchup vs Clark and got it. Both more than fine ways to win for sure. I think Lyss backed by shadow builder umbry is going to be harder to fish against though, so skarm will need to do a bit more than pray for a Glowbro win this week. That said, he showed that he's willing to get creative, and from what I've heard he preps like a demon. If this were a week 1 matchup I'd have said this was massively in Lyss's favour but I do think skarm's pretty impressive and has a decent shot for sure.

[TMS] pokemonisfun vs pdt [ISL] - Dunno, gut feeling. pif abused some brokens last week and had a very dominant game. He's been branching out a ton lately in terms of playstyle and I think that's proving very effective for him. pdt on the other hand is doing what pdt does, loading his comfy teams and clicking and winning. I have surprisingly little to say here which is weird bc I think this is the highlight of the week for me. Will be exciting to see how it plays out.

Week 1

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Cobalion           |    4 |  40.00% | 100.00% |
| 1    | Primarina          |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 1    | Tangrowth          |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Skarmory           |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 5    | Excadrill          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Rotom-Wash         |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Salamence          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 5    | Hydreigon          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 9    | Chansey            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Crobat             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Amoonguss          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Dhelmise           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Nihilego           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Zarude-Dada        |    2 |  20.00% | 50.00% |
| 9    | Hippowdon          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Starmie            |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Diggersby          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Azelf              |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Celesteela         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Nidoqueen          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Golurk             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Slowbro-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Zygarde-10%        |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Raikou             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Conkeldurr         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Keldeo             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Reuniclus          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Mamoswine          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Thundurus-Therian  |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Jirachi            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Since I'm the one who typically does usage stuff I figured I'd start keeping track of weekly usage stats and notice trends during this SCL. There's only so much you can really derive from only 5 games being played per week but I figured it's still useful to notice trends over time being used by UU's best.

- Primarina sports 4 uses this week with a 75% winrate, being very dominant in the games featured. In clark vs bb skarm, skarm's Primarina is able to outright 1v1 Amoonguss and force it out as well as chip Thundurus-T down. In Lily vs Lyss, Primarina makes Hydreigon terrified to really click anything apart from U-turn without causing Dhelmise to switch in, which can even get overwhelmed by spikes as it is Colbur Berry and not boots. In pif vs poek, pif's Sub CM Primarina is able to force a valuable burn onto Tangrowth which makes it tougher to use to take on Conkeldurr and Raikou. Primarina is public enemy #1 judging by the survey results, and going forward I do expect to see nearly as much Primarina usage as there was this week for the next few weeks, but I also do think it can slow down and the danger surrounding it can wear off. It really just depends on how the coming weeks go.
- Scizor didn't get used once this week at all, which is very surprising for the S rank bug. We're seeing a lot more experimentation and usage of underrated steels like Skarmory and Excadrill, as well as the ever-present Cobalion, which means Scizor's traits aren't as useful as they were before to warrant massive usage. The presence of natural checks like Skarmory, Cobalion, Salamence, Keldeo, etc genuinely make it so Scizor isn't the super splashable threat it can be made out to be, and I do really believe its not close at all to Cobalion in performance and dominance. Maybe we can see a resurgence, but not a great start for Scizor.
- Ironically enough, this SCL also starts out with heavy utilization of spikes as well, with Skarmory getting a nice 4 uses this week. Let's face it, our removal really sucks, and oftentimes we get greedy and just go for no removal and focus on keeping Skarmory from upping. Skarmory's amazing physical bulk, useful typing, and reliable recovery shut that mindset down however, and will often up at least once during games. Defog Salamence is the most common remover, but just pair Skarmory with Hippowdon or Nihilego and your troubles go away. We are seeing lots of spinners being used though, with Excadrill getting 3 uses and Dhelmise and Starmie getting used twice, though bulky starmie is pretty passive and mid imo. Spikes stay broke and we will see if trends for Skarmory remain favorable.
- To end off, I just want to note the high levels of usage these Pokemon get throughout the developments of the meta from the start of snake to now. They're just overall reliable Pokemon, which is why I'm hoping to see more exploitation of these threats as the tier develops. Nidoqueen, Vanilluxe, and many more give cores stacking these Pokemon a hard time and hopefully we can see some more underrated threats get their chance to shine on the SCL stage.

Doing quick predicts too

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA] - biased because Lily is my friend but I feel she will be very motivated to win after an unfortunate game vs Lyss, very close though either side can win.
[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO]- poek used a team that was very very similar to one that was submitted to the UU teambuilding competition and TDK did not. TDK is also fresher with the meta by courtesy of making it farther in the UU invitational. Like others said, def a battle based on the builder and I lean TDK here.
[BRE] LNumbers vs KSt3ve [DYN]- hard to really say, both brought teams that were kinda eh with Steve loading Infiltrator Crobat for some reason. Steve is more in-line with the meta whereas clark is the better player, I'm gonna go with the underdog and say Steve picks himself back up here.
[TER] Lyss vs bb skarm [GIB]- cool match to see because both are my friends. Lyss was great to team with during snake and bb skarm was one of the first people to really help me get into UU and later be involved with QC. I lean Lyss here mainly because I think she can hit a higher ceiling and I'm more familiar with her playing but close matchup.
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs pdt [ISL]- UUPL rematch and likely the week highlight, I've got more of a gut feeling with pif here as I'm more familiar with him. I sound like a broken regard but close game between the two.

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
2/4 last week, 2/4 total.

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA] - 55-45. Both of them are coming from a loss and looking to bounce back here. I really liked Highways' team from last week, although I didn't really think it was the best choice against pdt, and he played a pretty fine game with a super close 51/49 odds endgame. I was very surprised by Lily's team choice last week, I thought that was a pfine pick into me but I didn't expect her to go out of her comfort zone since her usual stuff kinda goes hard vs mine. I'm looking forward to both teamchoices here and think this is probably what is gonna dictate the outcome, both players are solid enough to turn a mu advantage into a win without making huge mistakes, gonna bold and give an edge to Highways because I think him+km are a lot less likely to sabotage themself.

[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO] - 55-45. I wasn't really convinced by both during week 1. I don't think Poek played awful but his team was definitely questionable, pif got a good lead at preview and Poek's set choices pmuch meant that the game was over, he couldn't do anything about the Conk and instantly found himself in an extremely dire position. Carson loaded Golurk which i was a fan of, and was doing really well until he decided to click Close Combat on the Skarmory. Thankfully for him st3ve choked back a bit which meant He was still able to win. As for this week, idk. The Shoguns seem completely lost in the builder and Carson is also very much able to sabotage himself in the builder, I think the team preview in this game is gonna look insane and it's gonna be a super fun one to watch, be it for good or bad reasons. Giving TDK an edge because his week 1 team looked a lot better.

[BRE] LNumbers vs KSt3ve [DYN] - 55-45. fun matchup. Wasn't a fan of the team choices from both last week, Clark's team looked a bit outdated and couldn't do anything about the gbro although I don't blame that on him considering how this meta goes. That said though I gotta say that all of Clark's teams after last scl have been looking the same? from what i've seen at least? He seems to be comfortable with these prim-mence BOs, but I don't think they do amazingly in current meta and he has been loading them for a while now, so not surprised he got an unwinnable mu. I hope he can go out of his comfort zone a bit and bring something different here, against someone notorious for good prep. I didn't like St3ve's team much, but i think he played pdecently overall, he was doing well until he threw back but that was also a debut vs TDK of all people so i thought that was a decent showing overall. Bolding/giving an edge to Clark because I think he's the better player+he should be able to do well once he steps out of his outdated style comfort zone.

[TMS] pokemonisfun vs pdt [ISL] - 45-55 - another fun one. i wrote too much and i'm tired but pmuch their week 1 teams were what i expected from both, with pif loading a BO with a couple of sets i didn't really love such as subcm prim, and pdt loading offense with a HO wincond. They probably played 3871 times on the ladder and know each others extremely well, giving pdt and edge because i liked his team more+i think his style matches up well vs pifs, but i wouldn't be super surprised if it went the other way around.

very uninformed predicts

[FOX] Highways vs Lily [SPA] - both copped Ls last week, but im a big lily stan. i do really like how both her and reina brought some uupl ass teams, very nice to see. anyway she got kinda sorta sold. i dont really know what to say about highways's game ngl, he played well etc, so ill just give this a nigh almost vs bold...think highways will bring the cooler team given km creativity is much different from lily's and better suited for these bo1s.

[PLA] TDK vs Poek [SHO] - i really hate predicting against poek, mkw bias of course but i also think he has the highest playing capability out of anyone in the pool. of course, im going to say what everyone has liked to say for a tdk prediction for the past half decade, and ramble about how good his building process is, and i dont doubt hes going to bring some anti meta stuff. it hits way more often than not, and he knows how to pull the triggers to actually make use of it. but my gut just favors poek in an even mu here, not that he doesn't have the capacity to craft something out of left field either.

[BRE] LNumbers
vs KSt3ve [DYN] - idk. kst3ve has been a known quantity in the builder for the better part of almost 2 years now and i like watching him play but im just going to favor the 3k lines in prep (he still does that right?). dont feel too strongly about this one way or the other, im hoping this isnt a boring game.

[TER] Lyss vs bb skarm [GIB] - good work to both for nabbing their first sheet win last week; i rate lyss aka The Biggest Hater as a better player since ive just seen her (win) more, but she's said herself she panicked in her game last week, and i'm ngl she seems pretty tsr-pilled metagame wise lately. i really don't feel confident in how that translates to both the gameplay and the building fundamentally...but i still think she has a high ceiling and i trust the backing of aly and meru to at least get a good mu. bb skarm put a clinic on last week. you can argue he didn't really have to put in thought given the mu advantage or that there was no way to lose that but i think people underestimate sometimes how first game nerves make it very easy to get in your own head and just toss the game. definitely didn't have faith in him last week but i give him more of a fighting chance now.

go pdt

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Week 2 vs pdt - I'm going to try to go over this live in pia, 9 PM GMT-4 on my twitch. I've got a couple more vods there as well, including an analysis of highways and pdt from last week I did with pinorska

Usual disclaimers - I will do this win or lose, I mean no disrespect to my opponent, I do this for the educational value

Replay

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-648260

Match up and Lead

1663379224575.png

In my week 1 post, I went quite in depth on defining what a match up advantage was (whoever would win if neither side predicts = MU advantage), and ways to identify it (identify which win cons are strongest or identify if you have counters to opponents threats, not mutually exclusive).

Actually, we get pretty close to a mirror match up, which I think is self explanatory but happens when both teams are very similar. We have four Pokemon exactly the same (Mence, Diggersby, Primarina, and Cobalion) and one mon very similar (Amoong vs Tangrowth), with the major only difference being Reuniclus for Nihilego. This is a pretty easy short cut to see who has the MU advantage - while Amoong does own Tangrowth pretty badly, CM Reuniclus is basically unstoppable in this case without significant hax. I pretty obviously have the MU advantage. However - one thing isn't too clear, that is, his Primarina set. If it's Choice Specs, my lack of Fairy resists means it will get a KO every time it comes in for free which is no bueno. I'll still be able to force it out and then set up with Reuniclus on something but it's not necessarily clear I have a MU advantage if his Primarina is specs (it's not!).

I end up leading with Cobalion, thinking my Tangrowth lead is pretty darn obvious and he can just lead Amoonguss. I want SR up and even if he does Defog with Mence, that gives Reuniclus pretty free entry (not completely free as lowering the evasion actually makes Hurricane more effective). A few reasons I regret this, not just in hindsight. First, it is true that my Tangrowth lead is pretty predictable, but Tangrowth alone can't really make progress vs an Amoonguss team, and he can immediately make more significant progress by (Stun) Sporing something potentially. All I can do is get rid of Amoong's item which rarely ends up mattering. The other thing is that Diggersby is a perfectly acceptable lead for my opponent too, and I'm probably not going to risk Cobalion. Note that he probably doesn't have to scout for Shuca, since I run Tangrowth and Mence, I'm extremely unlikely to be Shuca Cobalion (and I reveal Helmet later). Lastly, I kind of flub a very basic concept in mons - when you're ahead, play it safe. I was definitely ahead on match up alone, no reason not to play it safe with the Scarf U-Turn Diggersby lead.

Momentum PDT - Why did I vote to not suspect test Primarina, turns 1-5

1663417756385.png

So my regrettable lead choice aside, I decide to go straight to Tangrowth to try and counter my opponents lead Primarina. I could have stayed in to damage Primarina or set up SR, but Cobalion was helpful here for many reasons and my Tangrowth set could potentially not get 2HKO by Specs Moonblast anyways. On turn 1, it reveals it is not Choice Specs to my relief - it's likely an offensive 3 or 4 attack set though. Protect has been very common as a last move but I figure Knock off is going to make a bit of progress vs Primarina or Amoonguss no matter what, so I feel fine going for it. Of course I forget that Substitute Ice Beam is a very real set, which is the only way that I not only do NOT make progress, but I also end up potentially losing a mon quite early on.

PDT smartly Substitutes on turn 2 just to scout for the Knock Off, which he gets and is further rewarded with a Freeze on Tangrowth and a special attack drop on turn 4. The significance of this is that I end up having to lose a Pokemon basically early on - he didn't actually need the freeze or drop for this, just the correct Knock off prediction.

Which brings us to the first really important choice of the game - did I have to go Primarina on turn 4? Even without the special attack drop, my own Primarina wasn't going to come out of this exchange without someone else or itself dying. Even if I outspeed it and break the sub, there is no way I am going to be able to OHKO their Primarina and I'm not CM either. The point is, breaking the Substitute on Primarina isn't important - Reuniclus sets up on her even if she has a Substitute up.

So turn 5, I basically concede turn 4 was a mistake and just end up giving up my cold noodles anyways. So I lost health on Primarina for no reason on turn 4, but at least I didn't take two Moonblasts for no reason. This is a key skill strong players are able to apply - admitting their mistakes and not committing to bad lines just because they started it. Yes, the turn 4 was probably pretty bad from me but I didn't have to commit and obviously the game was early enough + Reuniclus was good enough to recover later.

Setting up the counter attack - turns 6-14

1663418774100.png

Okay so I'm down a mon by turn 6, but Reuniclus is so strong that the position isn't really that bad still + I am now seizing the initiative since MY threat is coming in for free now. PDT is worried enough to just switch out and lose his Substitute, which is probably correct since if I got two Calm Minds (one on Prim, one on the switch out), I will OHKO the Amoonguss, losing the ability to Spore me will take away a big part of his potential Reuniclus counterplay.

I immediately try to scout for a Spore on turn 8 but my opponent gets a correct double switch instead so we end up trading a lot of health on each other's Primarinas and I learn his is slower than mines. Turn 11 is a bit interesting, I've talked about it on streams before, but psychologically speaking people are often loathe to give up Pokemon that just did a lot of work - clearly Prim did a lot of work for my opponent early on, so I predict they don't want to lose it now and take the opportunity to set up SR. This is basically what I wanted turn one, setting up Rocks early on to get Mence in so Reuniclus comes in for nearly free vs Mence.

To my surprise, my opponent opts for damage on Reuniclus instead of Defogging, potentially putting my Reuniclus in 2HKO range of more moves and also letting his Primarina stay in Torrent range more easily. Nevertheless, I get an opportunity to set up Reuniclus again and my opponent finally bites and uses the Spore on turn 14, which I correctly scout for and thus disable one more piece of counterplay he had for Reuniclus because of Sleep Clause and Ramolost does not own Smogtours. To be clear, my opponent cannot really be faulted for not predicting the scout - he already did it once and there was a decent chance I'd stay in with Reuniclus on Amoonguss - I could either rely on an overprediction by my opponent or a 1 turn sleep or a Psyshock Crit, all in all, odds were not that low that I stay in.

A bit more set up - turn 16-21

1663419498649.png

Okay, basically all that is happening here is 1) me not wanting to set up on Body Slam para chance + 2) wanting to use Rocky Helmet to put Diggersby in +0 Focus Blast range or +1 Psyshock range. Focus Blast was certainly an option turn 19 (and 18, but 19 I knew he was locked in), but I ruled against it in light of Primarina forcing me out with Torrent Scald afterwards.

Arguably turn 21 was pretty poor from me, risking Cobalion waking up and giving Amoonguss the ability to spore again, except now my team is even more tattered with Primarina gone and Cobalion heavily chipped. But I was getting pretty excited about the opportunity for Cobalion to make some progress on it's own, giving me an extra chance to win apart from Reuniclus, and I was getting ready to try and punish a hard Amoonguss switch in to Reuniclus later to spore me by just Psyshocking instead of CM - might have worked. Regardless, none of these lines play out since I stay asleep anyways.

The Jelly from Helly - rest of the game

1663419856957.png

Everything is set into place - I have SR not that it matters much, my Reuniclus is at high health, Spore is wasted, and Diggersby is in range of Psyshock so no Focus Blast necessary. Obviously I would love more (Prim being dead to get rid of Ice Beam freeze, Cobalion being in range of Psyshock for example, but I don't think I'm getting more chances. Apart from Amoong, Mence is what I want to set up on so I take it. Diggersby risks para chance and I still don't know if his Nihilego is Meteor Beam or SR/if his Cobalion has Megahorn.

Anyways, I tactically get out of Primarina's Torrent range by healing and letting Primarina heal with Leftovers which sets up a chance for Calm Mind to sweep. I couldn't tell based on PS rounding on turn 25 if he was in Torrent range but I would have healed anyways. I thought healing on turn 28 was a pretty nice move by me to stay out of range of any move on turn 29 if he crit on turn 28 and indeed he does get hax on turn 28 and 29, but not the optimal hax that he needs to win.

My idea is this - get Reuniclus boosted enough so after I break the sub, I can KO Prim. That should force him to sub into torrent range, which still gives him a chance for a torrent crit but only 1 shot. However, he's going for the Ice Beam freezes instead, which have an 8% chance to freeze for at least 1 turn, as opposed to Scalds roughly 4.2% critical hit chance. Anyways, I think Ice Beam is right because it can still do good damage with crits, but I end up winning this exchange.

His next hope is getting Diggersby para hax - I don't want to be in range of U-Turn + Earthquake so I scout on turn 34 with Recover, but this gives PDT an extra body slam paralysis chance which comes perfectly in handy for him - he gets the paralysis on turn 35.

Turn 36 is pretty important as we both have decisions to make - do I heal or attack, does he boost or attack? I basically have to hope he isn't Megahorn at this point or he is heavily favored, he can kind of spam it and likely wait for a full para, and then Nihilego revenge kills me.

The Iron Head seems correct for my opponent - basically, they have two chances to win with Cobalion 1) if they get Iron head/full para two turns in a row, then Cobalion just kills Reuniclus/Reuniclus is kept at 10% and Para and useless or 2) if they get 1 or 0 Iron Head/full para, then then can set up a SD after I recover and hope for Focus Blast Miss/full para (47.5%) PLUS the next turn focus blast miss/full para/iron head flinch ( 63.25%).

He had about a 22.6% chance of getting 1) and 30.0% chance of getting 2). I'm not factoring in his crit chance as well so maybe he had a bit more than this, but overall, it seems like his Cobalion alone had about a 45.8% chance to win. Primarina and Salamence had chances as well, so all in all, he did seem favored to bring down Reuniclus BUT THIS WAS BECAUSE HE GOT THE PARA - which he was of course not guaranteed to do. It's a bit more complicated, but I'm confident in saying that the opponent was slightly favored to win if he got a Body Slam paralysis, which he did. But I'm not sure he was favored to win before getting the paralysis.

Anyways, he doesn't get literally anything, so Cobalion dies AND reuniclus is healthy, which sets me up to win in a very high probability.

The Calm Mind on turn 39 is because I calced his Salamence is probably very defensive and +1 Psyshock won't do more than 50%, so I need to boost again to hurt it.

Quite surprised at his turn 45 that he didn't go for hax, in addition, if he loses Nihilego I don't need Reuniclus to win, my Salamence can also have a high probability to win. I think this was a mistake but he was already in a very bad spot. not much to say for the rest of the game, my opponent had a chance but much less than 1%, and he ends up not getting it.

Basically, apart from some finessing to try and set up the Reuniclus sweep (some nice mechanics knowledge by me like getting out of Torrent range, getting Spore activated, and getting chip on Diggersby via Helmet), it was a complete odds game on Reuniclus and I got the odds I needed to win.

That brings me to my second victory in this tournament and gives my team a chance to win this week as well fortunately. Again, it's very nice winning against someone higher seeded although, as I'm sure anyone who's ever competed seriously knows, you don't really care about your seeding when you play the match. I've always had trouble vs PDT, losing two UUPL games to him and he was one of the tougher ladder players for me as well so getting this win is really critical for my confidence. I was a lot calmer this game than my last one and I expect that will continue. It's still very early on in the tournament so I'm only cautiously happy.

TLDR - IF THERE IS ONE EDUCATIONAL NUGGET YOU CAN GET OUT OF THIS - maybe one obvious lesson is this - you do NOT need to commit to bad lines that you start, if you make a mistake, you can recover from it - I'm referring to my turn 4/5 here, where going Prim was bad vs the opponent's Prim.

Last edited:
Week 2

Code:
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Salamence          |    8 |  80.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Diggersby          |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Cobalion           |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 3    | Nihilego           |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Scizor             |    4 |  40.00% |   0.00% |
| 6    | Amoonguss          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 6    | Primarina          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Reuniclus          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Jirachi            |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Slowbro-Galar      |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Chansey            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 12   | Togekiss           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Hydreigon          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Tapu Bulu          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Conkeldurr         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Krookodile         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Gyarados           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Necrozma           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Scolipede          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Tangrowth          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Rhyperior          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Xurkitree          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Zygarde-10%        |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Azelf              |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Azumarill          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Zarude-Dada        |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Haxorus            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Umbreon            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Quagsire           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Slowking           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Week 2 stats are here, so let's see some interesting and cool trends brought now that players are beginning to settle into this current setting.

- 80% usage is fucking insane for a Pokemon to hit, especially with a more developed and less centralized tier like UU. We saw heavy utilization of Salamence's reliable typing, ability, and movepool to take on common Pokemon like Tangrowth, Scizor, Keldeo, and Conkeldurr. In Lyss vs bb skarm DD Salamence established itself to be a massive danger from preview, with Skarm's only real out having Scizor take a hit and retaliate back with Knock Off or Bullet Punch. Between Choice Band Crawdaunt and Choice Scarf Diggersby being needed to revenge kill other threats however, it was given that Salamence would get an important turn to boost and put skarm in an awkward situation. Mostly defensive sets were used although I think an offensive special attacking set can still take typical answers like Hippowdon by surprise if it thinks it can switch in at low health. It didn't really shine much in the other games but the consideration it was given to patch up necessary building holes and pair well with other Pokemon like Primarina and Tangrowth was enough to show the usefulness of Salamence in the current metagame.
-Reuniclus was brought twice this week and basically won both of them. In Lily vs Highways Lily played wisely to avoid what I believe to be a Choice Specs Primarina from breaking past Reuniclus before it set up, and with Scizor confirmed to not be Swords Dance it was a matter of time before Reuniclus came in on Rhyperior or Amoonguss to sweep. In pif vs pdt it autowon from preview, it's cool to see anti-meta threats getting a shot to shine. There's only one really common Dark-type in Hydreigon with Krookodile and Mandibuzz being ass and Zarude not being as common as before, so Reuniclus definitely can pull off sweeps better than it could before, just gotta watch out for SD Scizor.
- Taunt Gyarados was a cool set used by Lyss on the IP Hyper Offense team, allowing one of the biggest issues for the team in general in Skarmory to become setup bait. It still has the same applications Substitute would by denying status from Hippowdon and Celesteela as well.
- zero Hippowdon this week, honestly very shocking considering it is one of our best physical walls and Stealth Rock setters. Granted, its dominance is beginning to lead to strategies to exploit it between set up sweeper Reuniclus sets and offensive Water-types like Crawdaunt and Gyarados. Considering Scizor had an ok turnaround (got 4 uses but won 0 games) this week after being not used once Week 1, I expect something similar for Hippowdon.

Ending off with this week's predicts. I went 5/5 for last week so technically I'm 5/10 since I didn't post last week (I did predict pif, clark, tdk, pdt, and Lily to win on my own without posting so if I did I would be 8/10)

[SHO] Poek vs LNumbers [BRE]- both have not been doing so hot lately and are 0-2 right now. Clark had some weird team choices like 6-0d by Galarian Slowbro and bringing stall vs a common Conkeldurr user while poek had the near-identical teambuilding competition team and brought mono choice band last week granted their team already lost the week. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict clark will begin to pick himself up and start to patch up his teambuilding skills after these two big losses. If poek brought an actual team vs TDK that made up for the Week 1 blunder I would bold him but as of now I don't know where to stand on either's teambuilding in general.
[GIB] bb skarm vs Highways [FOX]- probably the most difficult matchup to decide this week, Highways is either super motivated to win after going 0-2 or doesn't care anymore while skarm is moving along nicely at 1-1. I've liked skarm's teams more in general so I will bold him but it's anyone's game. I could've just flipped a coin it's very close.
[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lyss [TER]- Lyss is currently 2-0 and I am more impressed with her as a player in general to warrant the bold, her branching out into hyper offense last week was certainly unexpected. Steve could pull off a win for sure but for now I lean Lyss.
[ISL] pdt vs vs Lily [SPA]- go Lily. I think the double dance Reuniclus idea she brought was very smart and Togekiss was cool too although it was loaded vs rhyperior while pdt brought a very basic team this time around and got hard-punished by a Reuniclus. Close game regardless though either can take the win.
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs TDK [PLA]- go pif. I'm not familiar with TDK's building and drive much at all and I think pif is very dedicated and will go all out in prep to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)