Tournament SCL II Ubers Discussion Thread

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
SS Ubers: crying vs Lunala - lunala stepped up with some magician's prep and the play to back it up. crying did get a win last week but didn't really have to sweat for it after etern ate a para and then both water resist died by turn 10. lunala's very different teams w1 and w2 might also make prep tricky

SS Ubers: TJ vs Aberforth - so i predicted against aberforth and was sabotaged by his opponent bringing a horrendous team. now i'll predict for him so either i get it right or he loses so it's win/win for me. tj not having a great tour and maybe he's hoping a change of scenery will help, but i don't see how getting his ogre crit by yveltal after aberforth sacked all his ogre checks will be of any help to tj

SS Ubers: SoulWind vs Fogbound Lake - somehow both of them brought the same six last week, and both of them lost. maybe they stumbled on the sme teambuilding idea and it didn't work for either of them. tho fog had a good position but outplayed himself for 5-6 turns so it wasn't as unclose soulwind's game. i doubt soulwind takes a risk like that any time soon, and i favor him to outplay matchups that aren't too unbalanced

SS Ubers: Exiline vs SiTuM - is icemaster feeding situm some doubles teams the main reason for the start that he's had? or perhaps tape forgot there's an ubers slot and situm is his teammate, and instead he's just munching popcorn watching his game unaware it's for his team. regardless, i think 2 weeks is enough to at least know that whatever they were trying isn't working, and maybe this is the week situm falls back to some ogre lando marsh etern yveltal ndm team. but he's not been in a happy form unlike exiline (DDs twice) so the other frenchman is favored

SS Ubers: Edgar vs Tony - mr tonebones is back! but has he kept up with the complexly shifting metagame of sword and shield ubers? or will his unawareness of the current metagame give him an accidental advantage? last time tony came back from a break was in upl, and i think he had a decent showing. edgar is at a not bad 1-1, tho he might be a bit disappointed with how last week's game ended, but he's not showing any nervousness in his first ever official team tour, and he's not playing like a silly boomer either. i give slight edge to tony cos he has way more experience in ss ubers, and has a nice support of star garay tdk johnny leru to bounce around ideas with

Garrett

Banned deucer.
Certified Myself Commentaries:
SS Ubers: crying vs Lunala - Lunala lost an unlosable matchup with DD Stone Edge NDM and it hurt to watch. Scolipede falls under "forced innovation." On the other hand, crying loaded trash.
SS Ubers: TJ vs Aberforth - Aberforth got in a great position early but risked NDM too much, never using Don to break early (even if it is running double dance, why run Thunder Wave NDM + Glare Zygarde to help it out in the middlegame). TJ played well. I enjoyed watching the dynamics in this one.
SS Ubers: SoulWind vs Fogbound Lake - This was an alright game: Fog was scared to Trick with Caly-S for a bit and ultimately his best chance was to get the Ray-NDM sequence of plays right as early as possible (it looks like V-Create was most likely a roll if he was Jolly). I was not a huge fan of Fog's team composition going all in on Ray with no other significant breaker/progress maker.
SS Ubers: Exiline vs SiTuM - Exiline is not fit to study law, but this was at least very entertaining to watch.
SS Ubers: Edgar vs JohnnyG2 Tony - While I feel bad for Edgar having to play SS and deal with un-sets like Scarf Xerneas,
1664220455342.png

please also release me from this hellscape.

SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs crying
SS Ubers: Lunala vs Malekith
SS Ubers: Tony vs Exiline
SS Ubers: Aberforth vs SoulWind
SS Ubers: SiTuM vs TJ

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Week 4 is up, replays and usage stats will be updated shortly

Matchups / Predictions Format:
SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs crying
SS Ubers: Lunala vs Malekith
SS Ubers: Aberforth vs SoulWind
SS Ubers: SiTuM vs TJ

Garrett

Banned deucer.
"Damn Son Who Asked" Recaps:
SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs crying - So what actually happened? Did Fog say he was using a certain team ahead of time? Watching the replay was confusing because much of it comes off as a cteam. If that was an actual attempt at teambuilding, someone save us all.
SS Ubers: Lunala vs Malekith - I think Mosa was paired with the wrong kind of setup Don. The concept is probably workable. In any case, Lunala had a very good matchup at preview and converted well.
SS Ubers: Tony vs Exiline - Tony's team was out for the week and Exiline made sure to keep it interesting for the spectators by letting Kyu-B get to +3.
SS Ubers: Aberforth vs SoulWind - Aber got the prep right by facing a Confide Blissey that SubGeo Xern + offensive Etern could PP stall and thus overwhelm. Endeavor was an interesting and seemingly smart choice to bring down an NDM. I'm not really sold on Urshifu being a good partner for that team (maybe thinking the only other mon that stops Etern + Xern is Lunala?).
SS Ubers: SiTuM vs TJ - SiTuM played fine early (I think TJ's lead Caly-S into Plot was terrible given how much work it did) and then proceeded to Leech Seed for 0 reason and get extreme luck when TJ's SubGeo Xern wins the majority of the time.

SS Ubers: SoulWind vs SiTuM
SS Ubers: Exiline vs Fc
SS Ubers: crying vs Aberforth
SS Ubers: Edgar vs Fogbound Lake
SS Ubers: Tony vs Lunala

Fc

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Week 6 is up:

SparksBlade left me to die

SS Ubers: Lunala vs Exiline
SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs Tony
SS Ubers: Aberforth vs Malekith
SS Ubers: SiTuM vs crying
SS Ubers: Fc vs SoulWind

Garrett

Banned deucer.
More Recaps:
SS Ubers: SoulWind vs SiTuM - SoulWind saw Ferrothorn + Kyogre + Zygarde in a previous week and discovered Palkia potentially has a good matchup. Unfortunately, any offense does it in. We've never seen a Kyu-B put in that much work before.
SS Ubers: Exiline vs Fc - :angryeyes: when I had to bear witness to non-TWave Ho-oh so it can Defog so Exiline could throw and get smashed by very obvious setup Yveltal.
SS Ubers: crying vs Aberforth - DD TWave NDM guaranteed Aber the win from the justice gods above.
SS Ubers: Edgar vs Fogbound Lake - Suicune moment, not much to say.
SS Ubers: Tony vs Lunala - Tony got every critical play right (and in fact played very well) but it does not sit well with me that Specs Caly-S comfortably 2HKO'd his Yveltal and he had to win 3 consecutive 50/50's between Roost and Sucker Roost to stay in the game.

SS Ubers: Lunala vs Exiline
SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs Tony
SS Ubers: Aberforth vs Malekith
SS Ubers: SiTuM vs crying
SS Ubers: Fc vs SoulWind

Fc

Ubers Leader
I swear I'm not late, week 8 was late, direct all complaints to SparksBlade

SS Ubers: Aberforth vs steelskitty
SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs Exiline
SS Ubers: SiTuM vs johnnyg2
SS Ubers: Fc vs Edgar
SS Ubers: Kate vs Poek

Fc

Ubers Leader
It's week 9 SparksBlade come back ;-;

Usage stats and replays are updated for week 8, after this week I'll do a cumulative stats for the regular season with some trends and will do the same after finals ends

SS Ubers: Tony vs Fc
SS Ubers: Edgar vs Kate
SS Ubers: Exiline vs Bushtush
SS Ubers: steelskitty vs SiTuM
SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs Aberforth

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Quick Note: Some of the EVs on the teams are not the ones I used, they are just the calc sets. This is just effecting things like speed creep which don’t actually effect the way the team is played, all natures are accurate. This mostly impacts Eternatus and Yveltal.

Just want to also give a shoutout to GeniusFromHoenn who helped with scouts, prep and tests from about week 3 onwards, who was really helpful this SCL.

Week 1: Exiline

1667819311278.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-647546

In Prep:

Initially I wanted to use offensive groudon, with taunt Yveltal and whirlwind Ho-oh, but the teams that I built with that idea all ended up having almost unplayably bad matchups into Zekrom, which I felt like I was weak to in my own scout and so I shifted ideas to include both defensive Xerneas and a groudon that can beat Life Orb Zekroms. SD groudon with 3 attacks is just a cool breaker, and defensive xerneas sure-d up the matchup against marshadow and other Zekrom well.

I wanted to bring subseed Calyrex, as Exiline didn’t really have any replays since the turn of the year, and I felt like he would not be keen on Snarl Yveltal, as it is ass. Following those 3, I went with the standard big 3 that I wont be explaining in great depth in this post, if you're reading it you know why they're good already. On this team I went with Air Balloon Eternatus to help with my matchup against opposing Groudon, and double-dark move Yveltal to beat a potential disable Calyrex-S set he could use.

On Preview:

Two very similar teams, his Groudon was probably offensive too, because groudon and caly break well for each other, so I wanted to get the momentum and try to be on the front foot. If his yveltal was not taunt or snarl, my subseed caly has a fantastic matchup, so I should try to break early with groudon to see what his yveltal is.

In the game:

Subseed Caly had a fantastic matchup. For both of us. Some pivoting and minor play get to the actual crux of the match where both of our Calyrex speed tie and I do not win the tie. Unfortunate, but it is what it is. I played the rest of the match out just in case he messed up somewhere, but the game was effectively over as soon as my Calyrex died.

Team (evs Adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/da01fa01c94ff534

Week 2: Situm

1667819349218.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-648293

In Prep:

Situm got the better of me in UPL when I overlooked the power of Rest-Talk Kyogre, where I just could not kill it. So I knew that I wanted to bring that set. I also revealed a set that I have dabbled with in the past infrequently, Life Orb Nasty Plot Calyrex-S with protect and Disable. The logic behind it is that a +2 Astral Barrage can OHKO a Ho-oh while keeping a timid nature, and protect + disable can work well at breaking through Yveltal with only one attacking move, and can punish teams that bring both Ho-oh and Yveltal, as the Ho-oh collapses to the Calyrex and can make the game very difficult.

Given I was using protect on my Calyrex, I wanted extra residual damage on Yveltal, which is why I went with Groudon having both Toxic and Protect, to rack up significant toxic chip on Yveltal while also letting me gain health back on groudon really comfortably. The rest of the team was rounded out with the usual suspects, designed to improve my general matchups while covering the defensive weaknesses groudon + kyogre operates with (specifically a weakness to opposing grounds, which is the reasoning for foul play yveltal + air balloon eternatus)

On Preview:

Slowbro, Darm-G and Buzzwole are all… interesting… choices. My kyogre doesn’t look like it can be made to faint easily, and protect groudon is possibly the worst matchup a Darm-g can run into. Using Calyrex to break is the gameplan, ideally with a toxic on his Yveltal, and if I can confirm non-banded buzzwole my Kyogre can come in and not leave at some point.

In the game:

Early game went about as planned on preview, with protect groudon giving me massive early momentum, including toxic on Yveltal, Calyrex-S breaking through by punishing a predicted Trick, and then the game was about making sure that an opposing subseed Calyrex wouldn’t completely mess me up. Kyogre the star of the show, ending the game early by rolling scald on sleep talk as calyrex came in, removing the last form of counterplay Situm had to it.

Team (evs Adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/71d52a5fade15674

Week 3: TJ

1667819386177.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-651295

In Prep:

I prepared this team mostly for vs Fc, and what I felt Fc would like. Bulk Up Marshadow is a fantastic wincon still, and I thought that it could be supported really effectively with Zygarde and offensive Groudon, much like the idea against Exiline week 1 that I scrapped. I went with Coil Glare Zygarde instead of DD Dtail, both to have a more solid Ho-oh answer that didn’t mind getting burned, as well as something that would support both Marshadow and Groudon.

On Preview:

Didn’t want to see Zekrom, but at least I have a Groudon with leftovers now to be slightly better into it. That does put a small dent in my plan to click Glare turn 1, as now I have to respect Zekrom a lot more. Eternatus looks difficult for him to KO aside from Groudon and difficult to switch in to in general, so I decide to lead of with it, planning on using Zygarde early game and groudon late game to try to overwhelm with ground-based offense.

In the game:

Things are going pretty well, including removing the Zekrom’s Life Orb, until I see balloon Eternatus, which really frustrates the Groudon idea. I then misplay my Necrozma, believing that he will not be Foul Play (I cant really justify this assumption, this was just really bad by me), and I have to fish for paralysis to prevent my NDM from dying without accomplishing anything. I don’t get it, Necrozma goes down, and I lose the advantageous position I was in. I then mess up further by letting my Eternatus go down to his Draco Meteor, as I was mistaken in believing my speed creep would be greater, and I thought he would be Dynamax Cannon instead. The rest of the game is awkward as I try to exercise my path of winning (pp stalling Eternatus or breaking its Balloon for Groudon to sweep), but I don’t quite manage it, and I end up losing. On another day, I think I can win this matchup pretty comfortably as I don’t think my prep was bad, but I misplayed too often to deserve anything more than what I got.

Team (evs Adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/7bc5781b28da00e0

Week 4: Vs Soulwind

1667819421120.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-652194

In Prep:

I wanted to use a HO that Soulwind would not recognise as HO from team preview to try to earn time in the early game. As such, I started with a 4 mon core from HO, including Sub Endeavor Xerneas, Meteor Beam Eternatus, Life Orb Yveltal, and Weakness Policy Dusk Mane. I wanted something to set rocks in a way that wouldn’t be telegraphing the HO nature of the team, so I opted for Landorus-T, with rocks, rock tomb, swords dance and EQ. The final slot I decided to use Urshifu, as I felt that 1: It helped reduce the teams Calyrex weakness considering the Life Orb Yveltal, 2: Yveltal + Urshifu could probably break down each others checks pretty well. In my head one line was Yveltal OHKO’ing Eternatus into Urshifu having a relatively easy time cleaning up lategame. I also ran through a couple of scarfers and there are a couple of versions of this team, but this is the one I went for here.

On Preview:

There is an Excadrill. I don’t really get it. I saw Crying use it to take on a Zekrom, but I honestly don’t really believe in it. The rest of Soulwind’s team is slow, and my two realistic winpaths are overloading the Xerneas, Zygarde or Blissey such that one of Urshifu, Necrozma or Xerneas/Eternatus can sweep.

In the game:

The lead works essentially exactly as planned, getting up rocks with Lando while being faster than Yveltal, and Swords Dance + Rock Tomb gives me a KO to go with it. I Rock Tomb the Zygarde in case it is a DD Zygarde, and seeing glare I know that it isn’t, before going into my Xerneas to drain Blissey’s PP so that my Eternatus can try to win. Approximately 70 turns later, it does.

Team (evs Adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/de9c12c14bbc27f7

Week 5: Vs Crying

1667819463270.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-653668

In Prep:

I was excited to play Crying, as I haven’t faced off against them before to my memory, and they are a very creative builder. I tried a number of ideas, before deciding to go with a squad I used in a UPL game vs Suapah. I am comfortable with this team and it features a couple of unconventional picks that work pretty well into what I thought Crying liked.

On Preview:

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Ho. Fuck. This squad does not do fantastically vs HO. My best path to victory is weakening/Killing NDM, and trying to countersweep with Xerneas.

In the Game:

I lead Eternatus to threaten damage, KOing Slurpuff without sleep or endeavor shenanigans, and go to my phys-def Yveltal to try to take on Necrozma, getting double para’d in the process as foul play had odds to OHKO even Colbur Berry NDM. I paralyse the Necrozma, and then bait an EQ to make my Zygarde big, and use that opportunity to set up. Importantly, I don’t want to actually KO the Necrozma, as then Cloyster would set up for free and my only Ice resist is also my only Fairy/Eternatus resist. I DD until I will die the next turn, and manage to do 80% to the NDM. At this point, I feel like my only real play is going for the Xerneas sweep, as even if I KO the Necrozma, the other setup sweepers are too dangerous for me to deal with, so I sack my Necrozma for rocks (in case the Cloyster was sash), as it would have outsped my Xerneas if it was Jolly, and then fortunately get the crucial para that I needed to win the game.

Not how I wanted the game to go, but I would also argue that my phys-def Yveltal doing 0 due to a double paralysis to a DD Dusk Mane was not ideal for me, and put me in the position where I would need the full para to go my way in the first place.

Team (evs adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/d2a2810306d14e9c

Week 6: vs Malekith

1667819491717.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-655268

In Prep:

Malekith was a massive unknown for me, and Edgar is more known for his building tendencies in BW than SS. As such, I didn’t really know what they were going to do against me, so I decided to use something I thought was just generally good and solid into most possible teams, Double Ghost. Marshadow + Calyrex don’t really share that many checks, but both are potent wincons and both are very good at what they do. I went with Modest Caly-S, and decided to go with a defog Lando-T to more effectively deal with both NDM and Groudon as rock setters. That means that my own NDM needed rocks itself, and I went with Knock off as well to enable Modest Calyrex better (both providing Knock Off support hitting Yveltals, and having one extra tool to use against opposing Calyrex-S that not-being-timid removed from me). I felt that the rest of the team could probably handle offensive/demon Etern well enough to make that trade off.

On Preview:

Trick Room. I do not rate Trick Room as a playstyle, I think it is inconsistent and, more often than not, bad, but I need to be careful to not get overwhelmed by the combination of Calyrex-Ice and (presumably) Geoxern. Calyrex-S is my lead, as trick is always high value, especially if Malekith believes I am any set aside from Choice’d, and from there I just need to keep in mind what I need most and least in the rest of the game.

In the Game:

I get the Sash turn 1 with my Calyrex, giving me a large buffer to play aggressively around Calyrex-I if I need to. I’m forced to sack something to the specs Kyogre, so I sack the Lando, as it beats exactly 0 members of Malekith’s team, before stalling out some trick room turns with Eternatus. I probably should have recovered instead of Dragon Tailing on the final trick room turn, but I was concerned about a Calyrex-I switch in. A few turns later and I’ve burnt up the healing wish, sacked my Yveltal (specs ogre is strong) and weakened the Porygon with Marshadow before I claim a KO, with Kyogre being the mon Malekith decides has served it’s purpose. NDM then successfully 1v1s Caly-I, and the combination of NDM and Marshadow are enough to take down the rest of Malekith’s team.

Team (evs adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/c10d3d9268b456c0

Week 7: Vs Tony

1667819524215.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-656652

In Prep:

I was on an Offensive Ho-oh high at this point, and wanted to bring exactly that into Tony, partnered up with a Zekrom as I had not used one at all this tournament thus far, despite it being an excellent Pokemon. Lando-T was then added for much the same reason I brought it vs Malekith, especially as it is a fantastic pivot to bring in both Zekrom and Ho-oh. I decided to go for Rocks Lando this week, instead of Defog, to allow me to use my own DD NDM as an additional wincon. Taunt Yveltal pairs brilliantly with Twave Ho-oh, which had a mix of both speed and bulk to go with its attack (aka it was more complex than just max speed max attack that’s in the importable), and 3 attacks Ho-oh doesn’t have that much that actually wants to switch in to it aside from Zygarde, which I felt I could handle through the combo of both Lando-T and Zekrom. Eternatus then plugs the holes this team has vs Marshadow and Kyogre well enough that I don’t think I lose to either on preview.

On Preview:

Lol the same 6. Offensive Ho-oh looks decent if I can play it right, especially weakening zekrom and lando-t, and of course Zekrom always looks threatening.

In the Game:

Essentially nothing went Tony’s way this game, and I wasn’t going to let my good fortune go to waste. This was not a difficult game, but it could have been if Tony didn’t get massively unlucky.

Team (evs adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/0e6934c45b2901a7

Week 8: vs Jackie

1667819553651.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-658100

In Prep:

Not going to lie, at this point I was kinda burnt out. I didn’t really like any team, and decided to use the same team as I had just used against Edgar for world cup, as I liked the way that team played offensively. The idea is that Pheromosa is difficult to switch in to, and Water Spout Kyogre loves having pivots all around it. Early game Pheromosa + Ogre breaking into late game Phero cleaning was the gameplan.

On Preview:

Feeling relatively confident in the gameplan, Pheromosa threatens everything with a 2hko and the gameplan is simply going to be chipping everything into Pheromosa range.

In the Game:

Jackie gets control pretty early on with the trick onto my Yveltal, which makes a lot of things very difficult for me, and I decide to play aggressively to try to counteract that, such as bringing my Pheromosa in hard on Calyrex to try to prevent the Eternatus from recovering out of range. I sack Eternatus to Calyrex, and go back into Pheromosa, and then pick up a kill with my Kyogre and then do a lot of damage to her Kyogre too with my Water Spout. She then sets up on my Yveltal, and outplays me between Substitute and Toxic, with the Zygarde living on 4% and cleaning through the rest of my team. I felt like I was in a position for Pheromosa to clean, but I was a little slow and too careful with my execution, and that gave Jackie the opportunity to come back and capitalise on my misplays.

Team (evs adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/a55062fcccce7690

Week 9: Vs Fog

1667819272794.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-659485

In Prep:

Ferrothorn is incredible in this meta and I somehow had not used it all tournament. Especially given how highly I rate Zekrom, I wanted to bring Ferro here given my team was now officially out of playoff contention and this would be the last chance I would have to use it. Ferrothorn pairs brilliantly with Kyogre, especially providing spikes support in the event that fog wanted to use some weird stall team with a Blissey because his team was out of playoff contention. After that, the sets were mostly standard, with a Dtail Eternatus to solidify me against Block Kyogre while also pairing up excellently with Spikes that Ferrothorn provides, especially as Eternatus can switch in to the best defogger in the tier, and a Yveltal that can always take one hit from Groudon in a pinch, with Taunt so that I wouldn’t get messed up by most of the fishing Calyrex sets.

I will say I’m not entirely sure the natures are accurate on the paste below, as the team is on my laptop and I don’t feel like checking right now, but I think they are all accurate.

On Preview:

Dialga. I would have bet money it was the same Dialga set that I brought vs Fog in the final week of UPL, where the game also didn’t matter, which means Dragonbreath and Iron Defense Body Press. A Kate special, and potentially very frustrating for me. Thankfully I have aroma on Caly instead of Plot, and once the Marshadow goes down my Kyogre doesn’t really fear much, which I can facilitate with Dtail + Spikes. He also doesn’t have anything that is immune to Thunder Wave, so that could be useful.

In the Game:

This game took place at 3am. This is important context for later in the game. I felt pretty good after the early game, racking up some nice chip damage with Spikes, removing Eternatus’s boots and identifying the Kyogre set properly. There’s a small scare with Ferrothorn potentially losing 1v1 to Dialga, but I know that if I get paralysed that I have Calyrex that can clear the status if need be while only taking 30 from Dragonbreath. A bit later in the game after not much is happening, I try to catch Dialga coming in by clicking Knock Off with Yveltal against Eternatus, as getting rid of its leftovers effectively removes Dialga as a threat. This leaves me with barely a Yveltal left, as I am now forced to play more aggressively still due to the threat of Dialga. I manage to get some Spikes up and start phazing his team around with Dtail, racking up important chip damage on Marshadow, which ends up not managing to fire off an attack all game due to hazards.

Turn 60 onwards I am blaming on it being 3am and my judgement not being at its finest, as I was suffering from a small bout of insomnia on the day. Nonetheless, I will try to explain why I elected the path that I did. I saw not much further value out of Necrozma in this game, as I saw it as being easy setup for his Dialga, and so I wanted to go for Iron Head + Paralysis either to force a rest (in which case I can go into Calyrex-S and Aromatherapy) or wear Kyogre down a little, sacking my Necrozma in the process, before continuing with the shuffling shenanigans with Dtail Eternatus to try to drag in his Dialga to take significant chip damage or claim a KO on anything other than Yveltal.

Unfortunately for Fog, this is not what happens, and his Kyogre (and thus his best answer to my Crogre) goes down. 8 turns later, I go into my Kyogre, and do not switch out for the rest of the game.

Team (evs adjusted):

https://pokepast.es/085776525c4ea4c6

Enjoyed my time playing SCL this season, my teammates were all really fun to be around and talk with, and I look forward to teaming up with all of them again in a future tournament.

Fc

Ubers Leader
Semifinals are up:

SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs Kate

SS Ubers: Fogbound Lake vs Kate (55:45) - Fogbound is doing better than his price tag would have suggested coming into the tour, but I think he's a pretty solid player and one of the better overall ss ubers players rn. He did seem to struggle a bit against some of the stronger fundamental players in the regular season (his 4 losses were to all of the top 4 players on the official power ranking) but has played his games solidly and used some good teams most weeks. Kate's games have been weird, she got robbed in her first loss and was beaten pretty bad by poek with stall2, but won against Edgar very convincingly, although he used the teapot. She's a very skilled player but she's only played 3 games and it's her first official, harder to bet against someone who's played the whole season and gone positive, but a very close game overall.

SS Ubers: Tony vs Exiline (52:48) - I think this game is even closer, and I'm going against what the records say here to predict Tony to win. I'm a huge fan of Tony's in general, his play is always on point and his teams when he isn't going full meme are solid, so I rate him very highly overall in the pool. Exiline is no slouch, being tied for most ubers wins in the regular season and taking out other very skilled players, but I'm just going on a hunch and predicting an upset by a close margin.

The regular season is finally over, good luck to the competitors in the playoffs! I'll do a post like this after poffs end again, but here's the records and usage stats throughout the regular season

Ubers Records.PNG
SCL Regular Season Cumulative

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Yveltal            |   88 |  97.78% |  51.14% |
| 2    | Necrozma-Dusk-Mane |   85 |  94.44% |  51.76% |
| 3    | Eternatus          |   77 |  85.56% |  53.25% |
| 4    | Calyrex-Shadow     |   32 |  35.56% |  56.25% |
| 5    | Kyogre             |   31 |  34.44% |  51.61% |
| 6    | Xerneas-*          |   23 |  25.56% |  60.87% |
| 7    | Landorus-Therian   |   21 |  23.33% |  47.62% |
| 8    | Groudon            |   20 |  22.22% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Ferrothorn         |   17 |  18.89% |  70.59% |
| 10   | Ho-Oh              |   15 |  16.67% |  60.00% |
| 10   | Zygarde            |   15 |  16.67% |  53.33% |
| 10   | Marshadow          |   15 |  16.67% |  40.00% |
| 13   | Zekrom             |   13 |  14.44% |  53.85% |
| 14   | Weavile            |    9 |  10.00% |  11.11% |
| 15   | Dracovish          |    6 |   6.67% |  33.33% |
| 16   | Rayquaza           |    5 |   5.56% |  20.00% |
| 17   | Darmanitan-Galar   |    4 |   4.44% |  25.00% |
| 17   | Lunala             |    4 |   4.44% |  25.00% |
| 19   | Kyurem-Black       |    3 |   3.33% |  66.67% |
| 19   | Urshifu-*          |    3 |   3.33% |  66.67% |
| 19   | Blissey            |    3 |   3.33% |  33.33% |
| 19   | Pheromosa          |    3 |   3.33% |  33.33% |
| 19   | Aerodactyl         |    3 |   3.33% |  33.33% |
| 19   | Slurpuff           |    3 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Zarude-Dada        |    2 |   2.22% | 100.00% |
| 25   | Shuckle            |    2 |   2.22% | 100.00% |
| 25   | Rotom-Wash         |    2 |   2.22% |  50.00% |
| 25   | Palkia             |    2 |   2.22% |  50.00% |
| 25   | Hatterene          |    2 |   2.22% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Porygon2           |    2 |   2.22% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Calyrex-Ice        |    2 |   2.22% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Toxapex            |    2 |   2.22% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Excadrill          |    2 |   2.22% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Giratina           |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Clefable           |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Zapdos             |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Shedinja           |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Audino             |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Magnezone          |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Suicune            |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Froslass           |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Blaziken           |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Mewtwo             |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Obstagoon          |    1 |   1.11% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Landorus           |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Buzzwole           |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Slowbro            |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Scolipede          |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Melmetal           |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Magearna           |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Mew                |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Heatran            |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Weezing-Galar      |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Cloyster           |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Garchomp           |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Polteageist        |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Dialga             |    1 |   1.11% |   0.00% |

Fc

Ubers Leader
Finals are up

SS Ubers: Tony vs Kate

SS Ubers: Tony vs Kate (55:45) - Kate had a solid win last week, beating Fog with a Beat Up Weavile that 2hko'd the entire team and demon etern + sub xern which was very good prep and was well capitalized on. Tony, on the other hand, expectedly deadgamed after his team swept the week. I think Kate is definitely finding her footing this tour, clutching out 2 weeks in a row and using less dogshit than she would in other tours, but like I said in my last predicts I have a lot of faith in Tony as a player and especially in a potential do or die finals situation I expect his experience and play to be a step above.

Fc

Ubers Leader
SCL has concluded, congrats to the dynamos on their win and especially the Ubers players, Kate and SoulWind. If anyone wants to share their post season thoughts on SS as it comes to a close or just drop some of your favourite builds that would be great, as always thank you everyone for participation in this thread and also for making SCL an enjoyable experience.

Not much has changed but I'll drop some stats again as well to inflate that Urshifu winrate as well as some more in depth record stats. Might do a seperate post later analysing some of this stuff and dropping cores I liked in the tour.
SCL Cumulative Usage Stats

Code:
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Yveltal            |   92 |  97.87% |  51.09% |
| 2    | Necrozma-Dusk-Mane |   89 |  94.68% |  51.69% |
| 3    | Eternatus          |   81 |  86.17% |  53.09% |
| 4    | Calyrex-Shadow     |   33 |  35.11% |  57.58% |
| 5    | Kyogre             |   32 |  34.04% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Xerneas-*          |   24 |  25.53% |  62.50% |
| 7    | Groudon            |   22 |  23.40% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Landorus-Therian   |   21 |  22.34% |  47.62% |
| 9    | Ferrothorn         |   18 |  19.15% |  66.67% |
| 10   | Ho-Oh              |   17 |  18.09% |  58.82% |
| 11   | Marshadow          |   16 |  17.02% |  37.50% |
| 12   | Zygarde            |   15 |  15.96% |  53.33% |
| 13   | Zekrom             |   13 |  13.83% |  53.85% |
| 14   | Weavile            |   10 |  10.64% |  20.00% |
| 15   | Dracovish          |    6 |   6.38% |  33.33% |
| 16   | Darmanitan-Galar   |    5 |   5.32% |  20.00% |
| 16   | Rayquaza           |    5 |   5.32% |  20.00% |
| 18   | Urshifu-*          |    4 |   4.26% |  75.00% |
| 18   | Lunala             |    4 |   4.26% |  25.00% |
| 20   | Kyurem-Black       |    3 |   3.19% |  66.67% |
| 20   | Blissey            |    3 |   3.19% |  33.33% |
| 20   | Pheromosa          |    3 |   3.19% |  33.33% |
| 20   | Aerodactyl         |    3 |   3.19% |  33.33% |
| 20   | Slurpuff           |    3 |   3.19% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Zarude-Dada        |    2 |   2.13% | 100.00% |
| 25   | Shuckle            |    2 |   2.13% | 100.00% |
| 25   | Rotom-Wash         |    2 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 25   | Palkia             |    2 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 25   | Hatterene          |    2 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Porygon2           |    2 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Calyrex-Ice        |    2 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Toxapex            |    2 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 25   | Excadrill          |    2 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Giratina           |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Clefable           |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Zapdos             |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Shedinja           |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Audino             |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Magnezone          |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Suicune            |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Froslass           |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Blaziken           |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Mewtwo             |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Obstagoon          |    1 |   1.06% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Landorus           |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Buzzwole           |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Slowbro            |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Scolipede          |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Melmetal           |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Magearna           |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Mew                |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Heatran            |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Weezing-Galar      |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Cloyster           |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Garchomp           |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Polteageist        |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Dialga             |    1 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
Ubers Records.PNG

Best Performance:
Aberforth, Exiline, Fc - 6 wins

Best Value Players:
Exiline - 0.916k / win
Fogbound Lake / Kate - 1k / win

Performance vs Power Ranking Spot (Starters):
Player
Record
PR Placement
Final Placement
Change in Position
Fc​
6-1​
3​
1​
+2​
Aberforth​
6-3​
2​
2/3​
+0/-1​
Exiline​
6-3​
4​
2/3​
+2/+1​
Fogbound Lake​
5-5​
7​
4​
+3​
SiTuM​
4-5​
8​
5​
+3​
crying​
3-3​
5​
7​
-2​
Lunala​
3-4​
6​
8​
-2​
johnnyg2​
2-3​
10​
8​
+2​
SoulWind​
2-4​
1​
9​
-8​
Malekith​
0-3​
9​
10​
-1​
Performance vs Power Ranking Spot (Team):
Player
Record
PR Placement
Final Placement
Change in Position
Gible (Fc + TJ)​
7-2​
3​
1​
+2​
Foxes (Aberforth)​
6-3​
2​
2/3​
+0/-1​
Islanders (Exiline)​
6-3​
4​
2/3​
+2/+1​
Breakers (Lunala + steelskitty)​
5-4​
6​
4/5​
+2/+1​
Shoguns (crying + Poek + Bushtush)​
5-4​
5​
4/5​
+1/+0​
Terrors (Fogbound Lake)​
5-5​
7​
6​
+1​
Dynamos (SoulWind + Kate)​
5-6​
1​
7​
-6​
Spartans (SiTuM)​
4-5​
8​
8​
+0​
Platoon (johnnyg2 + Tony)​
3-7​
10​
9​
+1​
Machines (Malekith + Edgar)​
1-8​
9​
10​
-1​

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Kate - i think her usually unconventional builds will make her difficult to prepare for and might cause the opponents to overthink their own prep. meanwhile she can just bring one of the good ice types and win. rooting for her

fc is cool too hope he does better than aber

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)