Tournament SCL II PU Discussion Thread

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
5592591B-97E0-4559-AC25-6883101EE50A.png

Welcome to the Smogon Champions League 2 Discussion Thread -- PU edition! This thread will be used to discuss PU in SCL II related topics, whether it’s about the players, general metagame trends, matches, predictions and so on.

Commencement thread
Schedule
Power Rankings

A2F669A2-F711-48E6-83A8-3271EAC2B944.png

pricelist

Not all of these players necessarily start/play PU in the tour. * on retains

Punny* - 32.5k
aim - 26.5k
TJ - 26k
lax - 21.5k
crying - 18k
TheFranklin - 16k
sensei axew* - 10.5k
termi - 10.5k
pdt* - 10k
Raiza - 10k
soulgazer - 10k
watashi - 10k
xavgb* - 10k
mncmt - 8k
Lambovino - 7.5k
Nat - 7.5k
Scottie - 7.5k
jonfilch - 6.5k
snaga - 6.5k
gum - 6k
Lily - 5.5k
sasha - 5k
zS - 4.5k
S1nn0hC0nf1rmed - 4k
avarice - 3k
Meru - 3k
Raichy - 3k
Shaneghoul - 3k

if i missed anyone please let me know!!

PU Player Cores

Orange Islanders -- avarice, gum, mncmt, pdt, Vulpix03 (manager)
Indigo Platoon -- snaga
Power Plant Dynamos -- jonfilch, Excal (manager)
Uncharted Terrors -- Meru, sensei axew, xavgb
Technical Machines -- Shaneghoul, z0mOG, zS
Arena Spartans -- Lambovino, Lily
Showdown Shoguns -- Raichy
Mount Silver Foxes -- S1nn0hC0nf1rm3d, sasha, soulgazer, watashi
Circuit Breakers -- Scottie
Studio Gible -- termi, TJ

~

Here's to a fun SCL!!​

Last edited:

sasha

one eyed owl
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hii, to start off the thread i thought i'd just give my own personal prs on the teams besides the foxes obvi, im lazy though so ill do small writeups on who i know x. if i barely know someone at all not gonna say anything

1. Sensei Axew - ryan has been dominant in PU for a long time now, with a positive PUPL record and ribbon to support that. did well last scl and im sure he wants to keep that streak going
2. jon - has been picking up low tiers, good records across their PLs, and good at PU
3. mncmt - plays everything at a good level, knows the tier, and has probably the best support in the tour
4. z0m - all around good player, only here imo due to lack of exp (afaik) compared to those above but i dont really think that will hinder him at all. was hard putting either him or termi here, i think they are pretty even.
5. termi - good mainer
6. scottie
7. lambovino
- decent mainer but this pool is kinda full of sharks imo, i think he could def beat anyone here tho and think he will do fine
8. snaga - yass i hope he goes x-0
9. raichy

im curious to know what others think and excited for the PU games this year! :heart:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi, in an attempt to revive(? not sure if it's possible to revive smth that was never alive) this thread i'll be sharing my personal rankings of the pu starters this season. the actual prs will be released later this week and will be linked in the op

1. sensei axew

sensei has been a very consistent player this gen, with his first pu result being a very good 6-1 showing in puwc i, and then also going positive in the past two pupls. his main feat is winning circuit, though, beating very respected players within the tier in the process -- as well as winning ru circuit and making finals of the nu one. his scl showing last year was also nothing short of impressive; he managed to go 7-3 in nu and 7-4 overall, playing a game in uu for whatever reason. xavgb support is also very helpful and with those two being as knowledgeable of the metagame as they are, teambuilding should not be an issue. as long as he doesn't go gigalith on a scrafty, he should have a very good season

2. jonfilch

jonfilch's recent results across many tiers and pu experience is enough for me to rank him second. he made top 8 of pu open, only then losing to finalist tj and had a very strong early pupl season, struggling more in the second half. outside of pu showings though, he qualified for grand slam and has experience in officials, notably going Positive in the most Recent spl. excal is also a very solid builder and should be able to support him well, and as long as these two work well together, i think the dynamos can easily have a splendid season. only if he clicks pain split though :joobilaugh:

3. termi

the only True pu mainer in the top 3, termi has plenty of experience and results she's accumulated over the years. she had a solid scl and went 5-4, made pu open finals, and got to quarters of pu circuit, all in 2021. her not being higher might surprise some people but her dislike for the current meta and overall proneness to tilting makes me more confident in the two above players. however, i still think she'll do great, and could end up with the best record if she doesn't tilt early on. even if she does, gibles always have hariyana grande (broken, would farm) to sub in like trust

4. z0mog

not only is z0mog good at the game, but he also has some of the best support in the pool, with zs and pu swiss winner shaneghoul which i think automatically gives him an edge against multiple people in this pool. this isn't his first time playing pu in scl/snake as well, as he had a brief stint in the tier during the last edition of snake and managed to do well. even if he ends up struggling for some reason, shaneghoul, who easily could've been starting if he ended up on another team, should also be able to do well

5. soulgazer

similarly to z0mog, soulgazer is a good player that has the potential to farm, but i have him lower than z0mog because of his support being worse. sinnoh and sasha should both be able to feed him with decent teams, but the former's builds tend to be on the weirder side while the latter is less experienced and knowledgeable of the tier. soulgazer's playing abilities should still be enough anyway, and i don't really see him having a bad tour, though i also don't think he'll do exceptionally well, unless i'm underestimating his building support

6. lambovino

coming off a great pupl showing, lambo will once again be starting this scl. his unique teambuilding style is definitely a plus, though that sometimes means his teams end up being quite matchup fishy. while he's a decent player himself, he's in a pool filled with more experienced players, and i think he'll struggle a slight amount. but i also think he can do alright and i'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with this tour

7. scottie

scottie's a very solid player, but just had a very mediocre pupl and has no one to help him with teams. i think how he ends up doing will matter a lot on how his teams look; if he's using good teams, he's easily a top 5 player in the pool, but otherwise i don't really see him doing too hotly when people of similar caliber are in this pool and have more recent pu results and support

8. snaga

i think he's the builder? which has a chance of going horribly in the first few weeks as he learns the tier considering his limited exposure to the tier and poor pupl showing, but similarly to scottie he's a good enough player that there's a solid chance he doesn't do as badly as this rank implies, as long as his teams are good (though most other teams still have more support)

9. raichy

at last we have raichy, who has no support and is not as good of a player as the people above him. don't think it's a lost cause though and he could? pick up a few wins. just like scottie and snaga, it'll probably depend on if his teams are good or not

Last edited:

gum

for the better
week 1 is up!

SS PU: Raichy vs z0mOG
SS PU: Lambovino vs sensei axew
SS PU: termi vs Scottie
SS PU: jonfilch vs snaga
SS PU: mncmt vs soulgazer

Raichy vs z0mOG - i think the first few weeks are most likely gna be a little rough for raichy, who has to learn how to build entirely by himself. z0mog, on the other hand, has 2 good builders by his side while also being the better & more experienced player

Lambovino vs sensei axew - lambo's main advantage over the rest of the pool is his building imo, which isn't that helpful of a tool when facing ryan, an experienced puer that also has access to stresh support. with those two being great builders, i don't think lambo will be able to outprep; ryan loves building slightly off-meta teams while stresh's teams are all solid themselves. in an even mu, i give the edge to ryan, and i think he can outplay even a somewhat bad mu

termi vs Scottie - her building and experience is what gives her the edge here, as scottie's teams often end up with noticeable flaws. similarly to raichy, i think scottie might have a harder time than most the first few weeks as he patches up holes in his building, and once he does, i think he's one of the best players in the pool. for now i have to give termi the edge, though i think scottie can still take the win if he comes up with something solid enough

jonfilch vs snaga - jon has way more recent pu experience and has access to excal support, and assuming they work well together, i don't really see him losing this week. snaga has been doing rather poorly in pu recently and has to rely on himself for teams, which might end up being an issue as he learns the meta. still, if he brings something that isn't Bad, i think he has a solid chance to win, so this'll be an interesting game to watch

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SS PU: Raichy vs z0mOG - man I’ve been high on Raichy in the past but rough pupl and no support means I’ve got no grounds to predict against the rankings
SS PU: Lambovino vs sensei axew - I think Lambo wins this but ends up going like 5-4 and Sensei loses but goes 9-1
SS PU: termi vs Scottie - termi always gets pu even when she hates it
SS PU: jonfilch vs snaga - it’s kinda weird reading the team overview section of the Snake PRs and pu is just the only tier not mentioned several times and gets called not a major low tier unlike literally every single other low tier mentioned. Anyway I don’t think snaga is favored here
SS PU: mncmt vs soulgazer - mncmt with him support has been great but I’m hedging my bets that sg immediately starts popping off again so I’ll give him the predict just in case. It just seems too possible

gum

for the better
week 2 is up!

SS PU: soulgazer vs lambovino
SS PU: snaga vs Raichy
SS PU: Scottie vs jonfilch
SS PU: sensei axew vs termi
SS PU: EVIL z0mog vs mncmt

soulgazer vs lambovino - i am a big fan of what lambo brought last week, which gave him the edge on preview vs sensei. the archeops set was also a big surprise and i think that against soulgazer's weaker support, lambo can once again aim for a solid matchup pretty confidently, and his playing last week seemed solid. don't know how motivated soulgazer is for this considering he simply used the team stresh used for pupl finals tiebreaker week 1

snaga vs Raichy - snaga ran into the only lycanroc ever while using a team that got 6-0ed by it, but his team looked rather solid outside of that 1 matchup. raichy brought a very strange looking team that came close to winning, but im less confident in his building abilities, while snaga seems to not be doing too badly

Scottie vs jonfilch - both are coming off very convincing week 1 wins, but i liked jon's team more. scottie used a very interesting one for sure but it worked well enough and didn't look like it was too bad into anything, so i think this game should be pretty close even if i bolded jon. i just rate his support higher than scottie's building

sensei axew vs termi - idk im like.. biased. going off their week 1 teams, sensei's does look better vs most of the meta and i still rate the terrors's pu building very highly, while termi unfortunately ran into sandslash sand with nothing that could eat a +2 hit. if termi brings a glaceon or something maybe they'll freeze again and put sensei's wig into retrograde, idk hopefully both come up with fun teams. highlight of the week in my opinion..

also here are the week 1 usage stats

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SS PU: soulgazer vs lambovino - lambo showed up well week 1 with something new and interesting and sg reused and tried to outpilot which seems relatively difficult vs fresh stuff in this meta. If sg preps though I'd edge the odds in his favor

SS PU: snaga vs Raichy - eh, about even here

SS PU: Scottie vs jonfilch - about even here but on a higher level. gut says Scottie, no good reason

SS PU: sensei axew vs termi - following up my week 1 prediction where sensei loses to lambo then goes on a tear

SS PU: EVIL z0mog vs mncmt - free gum

SS PU: lax vs Scottie - shoguns seem a little loss in the builder for pu at the moment and although lax is a phenomenal player, scottie has been bringing more solid teams and is a good player as well
SS PU: termi vs soulgazer - soulgazer bopped a mainer last week but i highly doubt termi goes 0-3. sg can definitely win this though, was a huge fan of his centi team last week
SS PU: mncmt vs Lambovino - lambo's team last week was uh interesting for sure but regardless he has been playing p well. nonetheless, mence with gum support should still win
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs Leru - idk what happened to snaga but zom's had good teams and good play. leru won pretty convincingly last week though, so i think this is gonna be a close one

MZ

SS PU: lax vs Scottie - dunno about scottie in this tour so far but they can always turn it around
SS PU: termi vs soulgazer - they're both having uncharacteristic starts, I think termi's just been hit by weirder stuff
SS PU: jonfilch vs sensei axew - been better so far
SS PU: mncmt vs Lambovino - been better so far
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs Leru - z0m is consistently convincing in PU and leru's out of the loop enough to try to ask me for ideas

SS PU: lax vs Scottie - I trust scottie more than an emergency sub lax
SS PU: termi vs soulgazer - termi seems to be struggling with the new meta while sg is only getting going. Could go either way but I favour sg
SS PU: jonfilch vs sensei axew - two of the top players in the pool and could easily go either way. Really liked what Jon brought last week so picking him
SS PU: mncmt vs Lambovino - didn't love what lambo brought last week but hoping for a bounce back here
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs Leru - he's evil

MZ

Well I wanted to do predicts so uh, here's week 4 guys
SS PU: sensei axew vs lax
SS PU: Scottie vs EVIL z0mOG
SS PU: Leru vs mncmt
SS PU: watashi vs jonfilch
SS PU: Lambovino vs termi

SS PU: sensei axew vs lax - I pulled sensei r1 of seasonal and I need him to tilt this week. Go lax!
SS PU: Scottie vs EVIL z0mOG - not rly high on either rn but z0m is doing slightly better so far
SS PU: Leru vs mncmt - not rly sure why a new person has had to play every single week for the islanders but they've still seemed pretty good, Leru's been fine too but I think Islanders will probably start getting it together
SS PU: watashi vs jonfilch - hasn't played vs a somewhat low caliber of wins so far, pretty 50/50 here but I gotta pick one so ok
SS PU: Lambovino vs termi - liked her teams a bit more

MZ

SS PU: jonfilch vs Lambovino
SS PU: mncmt vs termi
SS PU: reyscarface vs soulgazer
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs sensei axew
SS PU: Leru vs Scottie

SS PU: jonfilch vs Lambovino - Honestly I have no clue here. Haven't been wowed or negative on either, jonfilch has a slightly better record and a slightly easier path so far. I think I liked Lambo's win last week a bit more though
SS PU: mncmt vs termi - wouldn't have expected either of these two to be where they are but I didn't think termi showed up well last week at all
SS PU: reyscarface vs soulgazer - not expecting much from the shoguns at this point, not that I ever did
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs sensei axew - z0m's dropped their last two and sensei's still looking great
SS PU: Leru vs Scottie - I suppose this week I'm just going trend-heavy, but Leru's 3-0 has looked alright so far

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
SS PU: jonfilch vs Lambovino - i didn't like how boring lambo's team was last week
SS PU: mncmt vs termi - she's trying more
SS PU: reyscarface vs soulgazer - shoguns pu slot :weary:
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs sensei axew - knows what he's doing more
SS PU: Leru vs Scottie - leru is bringing better teams

Last edited:
SS PU: jonfilch vs Lambovino - jon has yet to play an actual game of SS PU in scl and I’m unsure if that streak will continue, lambo’s been bringing more creative teams and it’ll be interesting to see how he adapts to jon’s playstyle rn. regardless, i rank jon a bit higher and as long as he doesnt get cteamed he should probably win
SS PU: mncmt vs termi - slot in gum already mence is 0-2 LMFAO while the besties are each 1-0, mence apparently hasn’t won an official tour game since early SPL so termi would easily be able to clear if it wasn’t for the immense pu support mence has. jokes aside, mence did get fairly unlucky last week and he’s obvi still a good player so i’ll give him the edge here
SS PU: reyscarface vs soulgazer - right so um anyway, soulgazer should probably win here as long as he preps for the incoming SU team
SS PU: Leru vs Scottie - banking on a solid 3-0 and the fact that scottie kinda almost lost a pretty good MU last week

gum Shaneghoul vamanos

SS PU: jonfilch vs Lambovino - I think lambo decided to stop bringing bad stuff after the trick room week so i like how he's looking now
SS PU: mncmt vs termi - idk how strong a grip termi has on the meta and mence has good support
SS PU: reyscarface vs soulgazer - this ones a freebie
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs sensei axew - he's evil
SS PU: Leru vs Scottie - Leru's been doing well and scottie kinda threw against us last week which wasn't great to see

gum

for the better
SS PU: jonfilch vs Lambovino - good at abusing the brokens. i rate him more highly as a player and atp he's familiar enough with the tier, i think he has better odds as long as he runs into a playable mu
SS PU: reyscarface vs soulgazer - umm idk.. both slots are 1-3 and the shoguns's pu teams have looked better in the past 2 weeks to be honest but lax is no longer playing so idk
SS PU: EVIL z0mOG vs sensei axew - he's been on a roll while zomog has been struggling a bit more in the past 2 weeks. also has better building / support
SS PU: Leru vs Scottie - 3-0, has played decently enough and i've liked the teams he's brought. scottie's not doing too badly but he almost lost a 95-5 mu last week, and not cuz zomog played better so im less confident in him winning

MZ

SS PU: Scottie vs mncmt
SS PU: sensei axew vs Leru
SS PU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs EVIL z0mOG
SS PU: Lambovino vs reyscarface
SS PU: ProDigeZz vs jonfilch

SS PU: Scottie vs mncmt - He finally got one
SS PU: sensei axew vs Leru - Better overall, but Leru's been solid too
SS PU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs EVIL z0mOG - S1nn0h's innovations in building have been better than when he actually gets in
SS PU: Lambovino vs reyscarface - vroom vroom
SS PU: ProDigeZz vs jonfilch - better

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
SS PU: Scottie vs mncmt - i don't know
SS PU: sensei axew vs Leru - both could win, i've liked leru's teams more overall but leaning sensei here
SS PU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs EVIL z0mOG - ho3n not evil enough
SS PU: Lambovino vs reyscarface - lambo will bring a better team this week i believe
SS PU: ProDigeZz vs jonfilch - both could win but i rate jon better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)