Tournament SCL II LC Discussion Thread

OP taken from all the different variations of this thread

1661724984129.png

Welcome to the Smogon Champions League 2 Discussion Thread -- LC edition! This thread will be used to discuss LC in SCL II related topics, whether it’s about the players, general metagame trends, matches, predictions and so on. Teams, Replays, and Usage Stats can be found [SOON].

Commencement
Schedule

1661725076183.png

LC Players Cores (starters in bold, manager support in italic)
Orange Islanders -- boulicrok, pdt
Uncharted Terrors -- Acehunter1, collette, xavgb
Circuit Breakers -- LIlyAC, Scottie
Power Plant Dynamos -- Welli0u, luthier
Showdown Shoguns -- -Tsunami-, Raichy
Indigo Platoon -- tazz, Z Strats, Star
Arena Spartans -- daunt vs, TheFranklin
Technical Machines -- ninjadog, danny
Mt. Silver Foxes -- S1nn0hC0nfirm3d (?), dcae, freezai
Studio Gible -- kythr, ProDigeZz

Have fun everyone!

I'll kick off discussion I guess with some general thoughts on the pool

- For power ranking purposes, I think that ninjadog and boulicrok very solidly occupy the top 2 slots (with dcae being somewhere up there whenever he plays), with the next couple spots being very unclear

- This might be a motivation and building game: with the exception of S1nn0hC0nfirm3d every single starter voted to bring back vull and this meta is broadly disliked within the pool. I think that this is a builder's meta (but not in a good way), so it will be interesting to see how people who aren't really enjoying the meta respond to some of the jank that has been everywhere recently.

- The biggest question marks are definitely the Foxes and the Shoguns. Depending on who is starting between S1nn0h and dcae, the Foxes could potentially be one of the weakest or strongest slots depending on the week. S1nn0h doesn't have as much experience or results as the rest of the pool, but he does have freezai behind him who can probably get him a few wins through matchup at the very least. I don't think that dcae not playing is as devastating as it would be in previous tournaments, as this meta is not as difficult to play as early gen metas. How well shake does is anyone's guess. The objective guess is to rank him last, but if he cheeses every week (which is my guess as to his strategy) he can probably pick up some wins if he knows what he's doing in the builder. We saw last year that lax helped KSG develop some pretty potent cheese, so he might have some help in that department.

Last edited:
I agree with tazz that building is gonna be important, and I wanted to give my opinions on some of these cores:

For all intents and purposes, I would consider Bouli, DVS and ninja to be by themselves for the most part, I dont expect anyone else on the team to provide a major shift to their prep. I do agree with tazz tho that in therms of how clean the in game is, I think bouli and ninja will score the highest in therms of how accurate their plays will be. As for DVS, the jury is still unsure as to whether or not he plans to actually play.

Llly+scottie:

This one is interesting, im personally more into Osh's building, I think his lot of his teams are quite spot on even tho im not really sure he really always brings them at the best moments (he had a couple of sus mu in lcpl imo). On the other hand I think lily has been shaky in individual tours due to her reluctance to use something that isnt the good 6, but I think her lcpl tie break game (the only one where she played ss in), has shown that she is a really strong when shes playing stuff that is more up to date.

I think with good collaboration between the two this has the potential to be maybe the best record slot, but otherwise I see Lily going prob a similar record as last year.

Welliou+luthier:

Tbh im not so sure about this one. Welliou has been shown to be a good player and he did do very well(iou) vs a lot of good players, tho im unsure on how his prep would be without someone like ninja dog or tkk in his corner. He's for sure a great player but he might have a couple gaps in knowledge that would make it hard for him to be self reliant as builder. Luthier on the other hand is a giant question mark . He obviously has a lot of history with lc, but him forcing me to watch the worst game of modern lc ive seen during the lcwc doesnt really inspire great confidence for now. I wont keep my hopes too high for now, but for a non Mainer this is a probably a decently powerful core.

Tsunami+Raichy:

This is a meme core that really has no business playing in SCL in my opinion. Raichy is undeniably a good player, tho im not sure hes ever built lc in his life, tho to his credit he has been shown to be able to do well (even with him not being super clean, I do think for a non Mainer hes been quite good), tho idk if he can support that well.

The same cannot be said about Tsunami, we've seen in previous years what I looks like when top tours players try to lc, but tsunami is not a good player to begin with, no clue what hes going here.

Tazz+ starmaster:

Allegedly starmaster is great support, tho in modern meta, which is quite a bit different than past lc's, im not sure how well that holds up. Originally I was gonna put tazz as a lonely solo slot but I mean hey cant hurt right? In any case I think tazz is quite good and he will prob do just fine on his own, tho I could see him go down a path of "oh god I hate this" and then get Into his head for future weeks if hes off to a bad start.

Dcae+freezai+sinnoh

Unsure who Is playing here but I assume Dcae (?). I think dcae and freezai would prep off each other well and I could easily see them pop out a handful and really cool hyper offense teams. Tho the motivation does seem to have been on the down trend so I would be sad but not surprised to see them recycle. Easily the best YouTube friendly core Ive seen cuz its really easy to get ppl on "epic magby sweep". Otherwise I think if theres a non Mainer that would carry over to playing screens cheese well in lc its def ho3n.

Kythr+prod

I like both of these two, and I also think they have similar types of builds they like, so they should be able to assist each other decently well. Kythr is def gonna be the main builder, but I think they are both very good at playing. They both kinda suffer from the formerly mentioned good 6 syndrome, but I think they could make it work, tho I wouldnt too surprise to see this slot go negative despite me liking both these players, I still hope to see them do well tho.

DuGuo

Just say love me.
is a Tiering Contributor
Supplement Papillon, i want to talk about these cores.
Acehunter1, collette, xavgb.
This is an obvious strong core. I think it is similar to the core of lily + Scottie. Everyone in this core entered the final of lcpl. Collette brought tiebreak to his team, while acehunter1 and xavgb played tiebreak respectively. As far as I know, Collette and xavgb are not very good at building, but acehunter1 is an obvious build master.
Kythr+prod

I like both of these two, and I also think they have similar types of builds they like, so they should be able to assist each other decently well. Kythr is def gonna be the main builder, but I think they are both very good at playing. They both kinda suffer from the formerly mentioned good 6 syndrome, but I think they could make it work, tho I wouldnt too surprise to see this slot go negative despite me liking both these players, I still hope to see them do well tho.
I also like this core. Kythr and prodigezz performed well in lcpl. But they may have a little defect in the build - of course, both of them are absolutely good lc players.

daunt vs, TheFranklin
Free TheFranklin plz. TheFranklin epic records in LPL and lcplI also appreciate this core, although I am not particularly familiar with daunt vs but i know he is really good. TheFranklin will be a good support or a good player i think.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d (?), dcae, freezai
Ho3n played bw lc well in lcpl and he is very good at ss nfe. It goes without saying that freezai can definitely become his best support. Dcae is also a strong player but i also be unfamiliar with him. But yesterday drift, laro and i talked about the top10 lc players and they metioned him. So I look forward to the surprises brought by the cores.

Anyway Good Luck for every players! Look forward to and enjoy your games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)