Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Actually, this looks like it might change category upon Tera. Used Starstorm on a Chansey with a Terapagos with Atk>Spatk; did ~50. Let the Chansey go and refought it with Terastalized Terapagos, Starstorm annihilated the Chansey. The very slight power increase shouldn't be enough to explain this damage increase.
Video documentation of this, in case it wasn't already. Showdown still currently has it always be special.

I have 2 questions pertaining to Tar Shot:

1. If you use it on a Pokémon before they Terastallise, and then they Terastallise, does the effect remain?

2. If you use it on a Pokémon who is neutral to Fire and then try to activate a Weakness Policy on them with a Fire attack, why doesn't it work? (I am interested in how the game determines if the Weakness Policy should activate or not - anything beyond that I believe I already understand)

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I have 2 questions pertaining to Tar Shot:

1. If you use it on a Pokémon before they Terastallise, and then they Terastallise, does the effect remain?

2. If you use it on a Pokémon who is neutral to Fire and then try to activate a Weakness Policy on them with a Fire attack, why doesn't it work? (I am interested in how the game determines if the Weakness Policy should activate or not - anything beyond that I believe I already understand)
Terastallization won't remove Tar Shot if it's present. If a Pokemon is Terastallized, using Tar Shot on it will only drop Speed, not apply the Tar Shot effect.

Weakness Policy will in fact activate by using a Fire-type move on a Pokemon that wasn't originally weak to Fire but affected by Tar Shot (e.g. Umbreon). Occa Berry will also activate and reduce Fire-type damage.

Terastallization won't remove Tar Shot if it's present. If a Pokemon is Terastallized, using Tar Shot on it will only drop Speed, not apply the Tar Shot effect.

Weakness Policy will in fact activate by using a Fire-type move on a Pokemon that wasn't originally weak to Fire but affected by Tar Shot (e.g. Umbreon). Occa Berry will also activate and reduce Fire-type damage.
Oooh, so my testing was flawed! It doesn't work on a Terastallised Pokémon. Now I get how Tar Shot works both with and without Tera, though. Thank you so much!!!

Pledge moves cannot gain double STAB via Terastallization (either by Terastallizing into the Pledge move type or Terastallizing away from it).
When you combine Pledge moves, it forces STAB as if the user and move type matched regardless of whether they actually do, right? How does that interact with Tera Stellar?
Tested the Pledge moves and how they interact with Tera today. Some of this is retreading old territory but I thought it would be good to test in case anything changed between December 2022 and now.
I did not have the opportunity to test with a Tera Stellar Pokemon whose base typing doesn't match any Pledge move typing, but based on these results I'd think it's reasonable to assume it'd be the same.

Edit: source for the Flygon used to do damage calcs off of is here (League Club Mikkel): https://gist.github.com/sora10pls/b12d9a1cf1b4696585ba04281a016b61

Last edited:
Just because we've talking about Tar Shot a fair bit recently, a couple more questions about it popped into my mind. Sorry that I can't test them myself, and sorry if they've already been tested and answered:
  • Would a Fire attack on a Tar Shotted target that's otherwise neutral to Fire have its damage reduced by Solid Rock, Filter and Prism Armour? This sounds like something that would be an obvious "yes" considering that Tar Shot's effect seemingly works like a weakness on Fire neutral targets, or at least "reduces" your resistance to Fire damage (not to mention, it was stated in SWSH's battle mechanics thread that Tar Shot would disable Wonder Guard's Fire immunity, after all), but it's nonethless always good to research this stuff for the sake of certainty.
  • Does the Expert Belt (and Neuroforce for that matter, although I have no idea if that ability even works since its one and only user was Dexited) boost the power of Fire attacks that target Tar Shotted Pokemon that were originally neutral to Fire? Again, this answer is probably also another totally obvious "yes" since we now know the Weakness Policy and Occa Berry would affect said attack, but we should be certain.

I have a question about Tera Blast. Let’s say I have a Pokémon which has a higher Attack than Special Attack in default conditions. But its Attack is currently at a negative stat stage and thus is lower than its Special Attack. If it is terastallized, uses Tera Blast and crits, will it be physical or special? In other words, does crit terastallized Tera Blast take into account the user’s negative stat stages?
The same question holds for Photon Geyser since its varying category mechanic is similar to terastallized Tera Blast.

Hello, I was wondering about how Future Sight interacts with Beads of Ruin:

- Does future sight boost the damage dealt by future sight?
- Does a future sight from a pokémon who uses beads of ruin still get the damage boost associated with it if it switches out of the field?
- If another pokémon uses future sight, does future sight sent by that pokémon get boosted by a beads of ruin user in the field?

In this video, after Revival Blessing is used, the revived Pokemon isn't sent out until the end of the turn. On Showdown, the revived Pokemon is sent out immediately, as seen in this replay. No updates between the original Revival Blessing tests and the video seem to have changed anything relevant, nor any between the video and now. It seems that when this behavior was being tested, Revival Blessing was used after all other Pokemon had already moved

Edit: It seems that ingame, if you revive your partner the same turn it faints, it brings it back in instantly. That's probably how the original tests got this behavior wrong

Last edited:
I ran these same tests today before checking if someone else had already posted about it. I guess we can confirm it still works like this a year later. The only thing I can add is that a Mirror Armor user holding a Clear Amulet does not reflect the Attack drop.

did some testing in regards to sparkling aria:
  • covert cloak and shield dust prevent the burn from being cleansed (no sheer force). this is currently incorrect on sim, where it does get cleansed.
  • sheer force prevents the burn from being cleansed. this is currently correct on sim.
replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9balancedhackmons-2083978429
I went to bulbapedia to check the move, and saw that it mentions that Sparkling Aria does remove burn on Shield Dust user when hitting multiple targets. So that and Covert Cloak interaction should probably be double checked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)