2. Proof of peak
3. Team description
4. Teambuilding process
5. Threatlist + how do defeat them
6. Replays
7. Team importable
8. Outro

1. Introduction

Hello people, it's Turtle (lol) and I have another team I'd like to share. Thought I'd make a RMT since I thought the team was pretty easy to use and pretty effective in battle. I personally love using this team for its use of Virizion and Araquanid, two critters that I thought were pretty bad prior to using them. I didn't really build around anything in particular, but knew that I wanted to somehow make Virizion work. I just played with some cores and tried to find one that best complimented Virizion, which is how I came to the final product. The goal was to use a different fighting type than the meta-defining ones, like Sirfetch'd and Machamp, which is how I ended up with the idea.

2. Proof of Peak

Haven't used it for requirement suspects but it seems like it'd be decent for it; more consistent than HO but slower games and whatnot. Btw don't mind the GXE, I used this account for testing memes and whatnot so the GXE number is a little skewed.

Screenshot_20210507-163601_Chrome.jpg

3. Team Description

:ss/virizion:

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Virizion
is typically a fighting type you normally wouldn't see. However, I think it still has a few niches as a fighting type that can sit on Vaporeon and abuse the fact that many people are using Talonflame over vileplume as their fighting resists. Virizion if played correctly, can set-up to +2 pretty fast and can deal massive damage to unprepared teams. Swords Dance is Virizion's boosting move, allowing it to boost it's attack by almost double the amount. Lum Berry helps out with potential scald burns from Vaporeon or random status from bronzong. Leaf Blade and Close Combat are Virizion's primary STAB options and deal massive neutral damage to a large chunk of the meta. With stone edge evening out the coverage, being able to OHKO Talonflame and OHKO braviary after a Swords Dance. Jolly is the preferred nature to outspeed base 100's, like Flygon.

:ss/diancie:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press

Diancie is the second member of this team, helping Virizion out by defending against fire-types like Talonflame, Salazzle, and Arcanine. As well as providing Heal Bell support incase any members of the team need healing. The speed on Diancie is to outspeed Sylveon, which also means that it outspeeds speedier versions of Guzzlord who wouldwise destroy Diancie with Heavy Slam. The speed is also nice for outspeeding speedier versions of Copperajah. I chose Heal Bell over Stealth Rocks because the other member of my team, Bronzong, carries Stealth Rocks. The rest of the moves are self-explanatory.

:ss/bronzong:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 40 SpA / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Psychic
- Protect

Bronzong serves as the Steel-type of this team, acting as a Tyrantrum check, a dragon check, a Stealth rocker, status spreader and can sponge pretty much every special hit. It also provides the team with a nice Vileplume answer, who would otherwise wall everything on my team. Psychic is there for damage on the aforementioned Vileplume, as well as dealing consistent damage to Dragalge and fighting types who want to switch in. Toxic + Protect for obvious reasons, with Protect being essential to scout for choiced-locked Pokemon such as Golurk, Exploud and Sirfetch'd, as well as gaining recovery. Bold is preffered due to it's ability to consistantly check Tyrantum. With the 40 spA EVS being there to potentially OHKO Salazzle.

:ss/guzzlord:

Guzzlord @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Def / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The throat goat has been one of my most favorite and consistent mons to use lately, and that's no exception with this team. On this team. it helps against fast psychic types that may threaten Virizion, such as Starmie and Espeon. It also helps against Decidueye and Dhelmise, both issues for the other members of my team. Guzzlord's moveset can cripple walls such as Sylveon with Knock Off, paving the way for Virizion to sweep easier. The 32 speed is for those Copperajah's who have speed EV's, but the speed can probably be adjusted. Dragon tail is really annoying for some teams, especially when they don't have a fairy type. Rest provides vital longevity allowing it to better check Ghost and Psychic types that would otherwise be very problematic for the team.

:ss/talonflame:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost
- Brave Bird

The defogger of the team, Talonflame has great defensive utility being able to check Sylveon, Sirfetch'd and numerous others. It also has a great speed tier, something the team desperately needs. The speed being important to pick off threats such as Salazzle, Inteleon and more. Heavy Duty Boots are a given, and the HP investment is there for it to be able to tank hits better. Toxic is useful for crippling Mudsdale and Diancie, which are helpful for Guzzlord to spam its moves. Roost provides great recovery and Brave Bird is the STAB option, being preffered over Flare Blitz for it's better type matchups.

:ss/araquanid:

Araquanid @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Substitute
- Toxic

The undercover MVP of this team, Araquanid is able to take advantage of recent meta trends of more Vaporeon, able to spam its attacks. With max speed investment it's able to outrun Vaporeon, Wish Sylveon, Mantine, speedy Diancie and Guzzlord, and many more. It has decent defensive utility, as it's able to tank any special hit in the game, being able to kill a weakened blastoise and other special attackers of that kind. Toxic and Substitute allow you to annoy something like Vaporeon, who otherwise can somewhat try and PP stall you, Substitute also allows you to scout for stuff like Mudsdale and Sylveon, which is great as well. Max Attack is necessary for scoring KO's and dealing as much damage as possible to things such as Bronzong and Copperajah.

4. Teambuilding Process

I felt like a Diancie + Virizion core synergized well with each other, which is why they are my starting picks. Pretty standard core; Virizion defends against the grounds and waters that would otherwise threaten Diancie while Diancie serves as a flying and fire check. I started with this as a core due to the good type synergy and how they can both chip their checks down for the other to 'sweep'.

The core struggled with ghost types, particularly Decidueye and Dhelmise which was a little worrying, which is why I chose Guzzlord. I chose the bulkier variant for it's ability to stomach more hits, and to provide more support for Virizion and Diancie. Rest also helps the longevity problems and for it to better check the aformentioned Ghost-types.

Next, I needed something that could defend against fighters, since Guzzlord was bait for fighters, Diancie isn't a fighting resist and Virizion is destroyed by first impression. Talonflame also provided the team with a defogger and a ground immune, as well a great speed tier which is perfect for this team.

The combination of steel type + water is pretty effective, and that's no exception here. Bronzong provides the team with a nice special wall, soaking up hits like specs boomburst, dragalge's draco meteor and many more. While Araquanid can take advantage of waters that would annoy bronzong, like Vaporeon and Blastoise. It is also another wallbreaker that the team was lacking.

5. Threatlist and how to deal with them

:ss/golurk:

This stupid thing is so annoying to face, but luckily it isn't too common. In the event of a Golurk, try to protect scout with something like Bronzong and try to figure out if it's band. If it's not, Guzzlord can switch in (watch out for dynamic punch tho) and you can usually get a toxic off with Bronzong. If it's banded you can scout once again. If it doesn't come in on Bronzong, just try to pivot around it, though you are probably gonna lose a mon. Just don't let it in and try to play around by trying to get Virizion on the field as much as possible

:ss/tyrantrum:

Despite having a Bronzong and Diancie this thing is still a huge threat. It can be really dangerous with head smash and its DD set which is really scary. Just try to revenge with Virizion and or scout with Bronzong. Make sure to preserve Bronzong's health by spamming Protect.

:ss/toxicroak:

(Thanks Jirachite for pointing this out to me). Toxicroak is very scary in team preview, and is only really dealt with by revenging it with Talonflame or by keeping Bronzong healthy. Just try not to let it get free turns by making aggressive plays with Araquanid + Talonflame.

:ss/sirfetchD:

Sirfetch'd doesn't have too much opportunity to come in on this team, but in the event that it does there's a few counterplay. I actually usually try going Diancie first as it's too much of a risk going Talonflame, though it depends by matchup. If they go in on Bronzong (they have a lot) then just protect scout and play around from there. If they come in on Guzzlord they lose their item/ get forced out by Dragon Tail but if they don't, then just go Talon/Diancie. You can usually burn it if you're lucky.

:ss/sylveon:

This thing is honeslty really annoying to face as Bronzong can't immediately threaten it with a steel move, and can only hope to status it. Specs isn't a threat but wish can be annoying as it can pretty much always heal up its teammates for free, also checks Virizion and Diancie. Just try to toxic it and get gradual chip with Stealth Rocks and Knock Off chip.

:ss/kingdra:

SO scary honestly but the best you can do is just toxic it as it's trying to set up its Focus Energy cheese. They usually don't hard Surf on Talonflame, allowing you to get a Toxic off and Bronzong always lives on from full. Be aware, Araquanid and Virizion drop to a Critical-hit boosted Draco Meteor.

:ss/escavalier:

Luckily it doesn't see too much usage but in the event of an Escavalier, try and scout its moveset. Banded is usually handled by prediction + Talonflame, while ToxTect is dealt with by gradual chip. Offensive is an issue but it's not that common so just pretend to not see it.

6. Replays

Vs Sirfetch'd Balance https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335508421
Another one but different person https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335575471-cm4lfqm63bdcq8uubqapf0r1bipkgk8pw
Vs Toxicroak balance https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335659916-vijq8ak8i5nmlscfx0qwb629cxi5c6rpw
Vs Frosmoth Celebi balance https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335840029-m9nl6a7chabhzgchzeob5phjantwn9qpw
Vs Standard balance but with Magmortar https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335879764-3c92eq13krzul95yxdoqjjpsr6s2uwupw
Vs Screens HO https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335540767
Vs Psychic Terrain Offense https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1335681822-49aqfv5y531cou2ap6qegmgio6z5mabpw

7. Team importable

https://pokepast.es/0b85674e82f0cc0f

8. Outro

Thanks for taking the time to read my RMT. I've been laddering more seriously recently and have been personally enjoying the NU metagame. The team isn't perfect and my English isn't either but if there's any suggestions don't be afraid to tell me! Have fun and stay safe in these uncertain times.​

Last edited by a moderator:

shooting star

formerly Jirachirite
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there Turtle, congrats on your peak, I have always enjoyed all my battles with you! I will just like to add one more mon to your threatlist.

:ss/toxicroak:
The way I see it, no one in your team is safe against it. Araquanid gets countered by Croak, Guzzlord gets forced out unless you managed to Dragon Tail it on the switch, Virizion cannot do anything back at the moment, Bronzong on the switch receives 44.9% damage minimum from Adamant LO Low Kick, and Moonblast Diancie only have a 0.4% chance to 2HKO while receiving 46% damage minimum from Adamant LO Gunk Shot. It seems like the best way to deal with it at the moment is doubling to Talonflame everytime to force Croak out.

Thus, unless you really need to use Stone Edge on a Talonflame switch-in, I would like to suggest changing the move to Zen Headbutt. Talonflame being faster aside, Stone Edge only 2HKO Scarf Braviary. Additionally, at +2, Close Combat already has a 75% chance to OHKO unboosted Braviarys with 252HP / 0Def EVs. Of course, you can bluff as well, but I would rather settle for something more reliable. Other than that, great team as always!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)