RU Theorymonning

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
What if Spiritomb learned heal bell?

One of the main perks Misdreavus has in RU is a spin-blocker and cleric in one, but if Spritomb got heal bell how much would Misdreavus be used any more? Which move would you drop for heal bell on spiritomb? It already has major 4MSS.
idk I'm not very good at this theory-monning :p

What is Druddigon got Trick room?

Do you need me to elaborate?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This doesn't make too much flavor sense but hey, some other mons that get the ability don't seem like pokemon that could regenerate either so i guess its okay to post here...

so, What if Primeape got Regenerator?

Fast, Powerful Pokemon with U-turn/Volt Switch and Regenerator are usually pretty good Pokemon, as shown by Mienshao in UU and Tornadus-T during its stint in OU, so i was wondering, how would primeape perform in the current RU metagame if it had this ability too? Especially considering its somewhat similar to UU champion Mienshao statwise. Anyways, Regenerator would make it much harder to wear Primeape down over the match, whether it be via hazards, hail, weak attacks, or things like Toxic, ensuring that it survives as long as possible to pull off its scouting and revenge killing duties (assuming you're using Choice Scarf Primeape). Primeape could even go from say 20% to 100% with some smart U-turn play over the course of the match, so even if you did serious damage to Primeape, it might not be dead, not by a longshot! Of course this would mean Primeape would be losing Vital Spirit, but because at least some of the sleep inducers either wall or outright KO Primeape otherwise, i don't think the loss of the sleep immunity is a huge deal. Outside of the Choice Scarf set, i could see some people using Life Orb Primeape with Regenerator as well, given Primeape has some nice speed to work with even without the Scarf and Regenerator passively heals off the Life Orb recoil when needed. So, how much do you think Primeape would improve with Regenerator? Would it be enough to bring it back up to RU from the depths of NU? Do you think any specific Pokemon might increase/decrease in usage with Regenerator Primeape around?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay...

What if Smeargle got Prankster?

I think Smeargle would become better than ever if it got Prankster as an ability. The standard hazards leads would benefit immensely, as it can now Spore things like Cinccino and friends before they can even react. It can also use priority Spikes+SR to quickly lay down hazards for your team, and also have a bit of a faster Whirlwind too. This would make Smeargle an even better hazard setter, and it would be Deoxys-D 2.0. It would also be an excellent Baton Passer, having again priority Spore, while quickly boosting and BPing at the same time, making Baton Pass teams greater as well. Smeargle would also be able to do some other support tricks and such, but I think Smeargle would become top tier if it gets this, possibly an S-Rank threat. (and gives more opportunities to lead with Smeargle for early-game hazards or Baton Pass boosts).

What if Spiritomb got Heal Bell?

I guess this doesn't make much flavor sense, but after thinking about it some I feel Spiritomb would be really strapped for moveslots to fit this into. It would like to be a trapper, or a defensive Pokemon, but I think it could fit room in for WoW, Foul Play, Heal Bell, and Pain Split. It could be a useful team supporter, burning physical attackers while also healing your team with Heal Bell, and Spiritomb could find a lot of use with the defensive set, and give it something useful for a moveslot if you're not into RestTalk for recovery. That said, I still think Misdreavus would have its perks even if Tomb got Heal Bell. It has Levitate to not give two fucks about hazards, while a Bug resistance to take on Scolipede and Escavalier is extremely helpful. Spiritomb would definitely be better, although not all of its sets would find room for it.

What if Druddigon got Trick Room?

Trick Room alone pretty much tells me this would be an epic physical sweeper. Seriously, Druddigon would flat out destroy everything with its amazing power and coverage because it can use its poor Speed to its advantage, and proceed to destroy. This also means Druddigon can sweep without the help of Mesprit and Slowking to set up TR for it. Druddigon can also run TR with LO, and also has the advantage of freedom of moves, unlike the CB set. This would be a pretty strong physical sweeper, and yeah. Here's a set that could be possible if Druddigon got Trick Room:

Druddigon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Outrage
- Flamethrower / Fire Punch
- Earthquake

What if Primeape got Regenerator?

Now here we have Mienshao 2.0. Mienshao is by far my favorite thing to use in UU right now, and I'd expect a lot out of Primeape as well if it got this ability. The Choice Scarf set would be an amazing revenge killer as always, and it can now be much harder to play around due to U-turn+Regenerator keeping it alive throughout the match. This would also make Primeape better as a scout, because now it isn't fucked up by hazards due to its HP being restored for every U-turn it makes. It can be one of the best Scarfers in RU, and I think this would definitely make Primeape solidly RU (even though Primeape is already pretty good in the tier and has always been RU worthy imo). The LO set would definitely see more popularity as well, being able to deal out solid blows, and handily being a great sweeper while Regenerator allows it to heal off the LO damage whenever it switches. It would definitely be a really good Pokemon, and I think it can definitely reclaim the RU status it deserves if it gets this ability.

As for a theory of my own:

What if Druddigon and/or Slowking rose to UU?

These two are the absolute best Pokemon in RU atm, but they are definitely seen as good by many UU players (including me), and they would definitely be UU worthy. But the point here is: Just how would the metagame change if we lost either of the two best Pokemon in the tier? Do you think any Pokemon would rise/drop in usage?

So I've been thinking about this lataley:
What if Archeops would get a second ability?
Archeops has great stats, 140 in attack is great in combination with 2 amazing STAB's in Rock Slide/Stone Edge and Acrobatics/Brave Bird. Also his special attack isnt bad either, sitting at 112 Base, wich is almost equal to Sceptile. Due to this he can even run a mixed set, with 2 STAB's and Heat Wave to deal with those pesky Steel Types. Also his speed is nice, allowing it to outspeeds most of its checks counters and switching out safely with a fast U-Turn. His main Drawback, however, is his ability: Defeatist, wich hlaves down the Attack stats if his ability gets lower than 50%.
So removing this would definitely help Archeops, if not even moving a tier up.

Celever

i am town
No doubt about it, he would get a quick-ban. People always talk about how if Slaking got another ability he would go straight to ubers, well with Archeops it is a similar story, except due to a fairly barren movepool and frailty still around him, he would probably end up OU (usage) or maybe UU. Removing it would undoubtedly help Archeops, but way too much.
However on the subject of Archeops...
What if Sky attack learned it's turn needed to charge?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What if Slowking moved up to UU?

I think this was already mentioned a while back as a theorymon, but i didn't reply to it back then so i might as well now i guess lol. Anyways, RU losing Slowking would be absolutely huge, Slowking is easily one of the best Pokemon in the tier and its a really nice glue to boot, it can fit well on teams of pretty much any playstyle, from heavy offense with its Trick Room set, to Stall with a more defensive varient. Slowking even hits on hail teams pretty well because of its resistance to Fire- and Fighting-type moves the plague the hail abusers! Looking at all of this, i think its pretty easy to say RU losing Slowking would have a pretty big impact on the tier. Firstly, bulky Water-types such as Qwilfish, Poliwrath, Alomomola, and Lanturn would probably go up in usage a bit if Slowking left the tier, as Slowking gives them quite a bit of competition even though each of them have perks, and often finds itself being used over them on a lot of teams as a pivot. Without Slowking, players would have to choose between one of them if they needed a check to things like Entei. Pokemon that were held back a bit by Slowking's presence would definitely rise in usage quite a bit as well, things such as Entei, Medicham, Hitmonlee, Emboar, Moltres, and Typhlosion would all really benefit from the lack of Slowking in the tier, as Slowking's bulk and regenerator made it a huge roadblock for all of them, as it could just pivot in, pose an immediate threat, and pivot out and be good as new. As for Pokemon that might decrease in usage without slowking.....i can't really think of many off hand to be honest lol, although i guess Pursuit might see a small decline in usage now that one of their primary targets has been eliminated, and things such as Tangrowth and Amoonguss might drop off a bit w/o their regenerator partner in Slowking.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What if Lilligant got Spore?

Do you think this would increase her usage? Would she rise up to UU or even OU? Discuss.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
What if Escavalier got Bullet Punch?

Escavalier's made quite a name for itself in RU because of its massive power, good bulk, nice resists, and Stoutland fear, but it was always a bit lacking in the movepool department, lacking cool moves like Superpower, Drill run, U-turn, Gyro Ball, etc, which limits it a little bit because for the most part all it has to work with offensively is Megahorn, Iron Head, and Pursuit, and while this is definitely enough for Escavalier to function decently, it still wishes it got other moves on occasion. Bullet Punch would give Escavalier a decently strong STAB priority move to work with, giving it a way to defend against faster opponents and an effective way to pick off things such as Aerodactyl, Lilligant, Sceptile, Accelgor, Cinccino, and Glaceon without taking a hit, which is really important given Escavalier has no means of recovery. Bullet Punch also means SD Escavalier might have a bit more merit, as it'd have a priority move to help fend off revenge killers and more than enough bulk to set up a Swords Dance (or even two!).

so how do you think Bullet Punch would affect Escavalier's viability? do you guys think it'd make it significantly better? what Pokemon might Escavalier be better at checking with the addition of a priority move? Would any new sets involving the use of Bullet Punch pop up?

Spore, Lilligant should have the same potential but more lethal on the practise, on the real battle since you can play more safely and careful with an accuracy of 100%, making Lilligant more dangerous in a real term but anyways should has the same counters that has actually stuff like Druddigon SpD mostly resttalker, sap sipper miltank and bouffalant, roselia and amonguss SpD.

Bullet Punch, Escavalier only should be useful on a Sword Dance set and should be more popular since Bullet Punch w/o Technichan is pretty weak so needs 1 or 2 boost at least, with Bullet Punch should be more hard to get a Revenger Killer because you can kill sometimes a scarf mon like Rotom-C with Hidden Power Fire with Bullet Punch after some boost, i dont think that should to change a lot just with stuff on this meta like Taunt Qwilfish, Emboar, Moltres, Entei etc

What if Entei gets Sword Dance?

Priority Crawdaunt: This would be really cool. It's kinda like a mini-Technician boost. Molk kinda covered everything, including his likely eclipsing of Gatr Time (until Sheer Force is released), as well as the increase of Poliwrath and Tangrowth. Actually, Poliwrath can be 2HKOed with Superpower, and Tangrowth with Crunch/Sucker Punch at +2 with a Life Orb. That said, Tangrowth can recover that first hit with Giga Drain, and Regenerator makes it quite hard to take down otherwise. Poliwrath can phaze him out, but he will be forced to rest next turn.

Priority Escavalier: If it can use Pursuit well, it can use Bullet Punch well. Simple as that. It's not wallbreaking anything (Banded Bullet Punch doesn't even bring Smeargle to it's Sash). But it can work for revenge killing stuff like Archeops, Aerodactyl, and Accelgor, and has the potential to sweep a weakened team. Not gamebreaking, since Steel isn't a great attacking type, but if could see use since Escavalier doesn't have the best movepool.

Spore Lilligant: Lilligant already has Sleep Powder, so Spore is essentially the same, but with less anger over a miss. Given that most teams switch in Escavalier/Emboar/Entei/other Sleep Talker that threatens Lilligant even while asleep, I'm not sure Spore will help that much. If they don't happen to run Sleep Talk, then it becomes much easier to set up a QD.

Prankster Smeargle: This however, will totally shift all metagames. If hazards are off the field (and we have Kabutops for that), then it is almost impossible for anything to sweep without Sleep Talk/Magic Coat or faster priority. Even with a Lum Berry, Smeargle can Spore, live the hit, and Spore again. That said, Kabutops can start running Jolly to outspeed and kill with Aqua Jet. Entei still manhandles Smeargle as well, since Espeed outprioritizes Prankster. Lum Berries would run rampant just in case Rocks can stay up. Current Sleep Talkers (mentioned above) would get even more use, but Smeargle could run Taunt to stop Sleep Talk if he wanted, so those Pokemon would likely abuse Sleep Clause to potentially pave the way for another sweeper that now can't be stopped cold by Smeargle. Setting up hazards becomes much easier as well, I think more like Deoxys-S than Deoxys-D, and he can Baton Pass. I may be overhyping this a bit (like Scarf Imposter Ditto was hyped), but it would not surprise me at all if he went up to UU with Prankster.

No Stealth Rock: Obviously a huge shake-up. One threat I haven't really seen much about is Eviolite Scyther. Base 80 Defenses are almost wall worthy-when backed up by Eviolite (it's the same as Roselia's base SpDef, for reference). That said, Bug/Flying is still pretty bad defensively, although it does quad-resist Grass and Fighting. However, the Bulky SD set, already an underrated set, could be ferocious to face. His adjusted stat line for Eviolite is 70/110/129/55/129/105. He also has no-drawback 90 BP STAB moves (with Technician factored in). So you're essentially facing something slightly less bulky than Uxie with the power of Kabutops. It was certainly manageable when you only had to deal with half it's health.

One of my own, building off of a couple I answered:
What if Whimsicott had Sleep Powder?
I hyped up Prankster Sleep earlier in the post, but Whimsicott could use it just as well. By flavor, he has both Poisonpowder and Stun Spore, so it makes sense to complete the trifecta. Whimsicott is not only a bit bulkier than Smeargle, but also substantially faster, meaning Pokemon like Kabutops no longer serve as checks since their priority no longer beats. Again, the typical Sleep Talk users still apply, but Whimsicott can set up Leech Seed to wear the sleeping Pokemon down, and even Taunt to shut down Sleep Talk if they switch into Sleep Powder. Finally, U-Turn/Memento ensures that momentum stays on your side after something is slept. How would Whimsicott compare to the other sleep buffs already mentioned? How about to the tier as is?

Mack the Knife

What if Regice got No Guard?

It has access to Focus Blast, Blizzard, and Zap Cannon. Do you think this would have a big effect on the metagame? Discuss.

Well this definitely beats Clear Body for one thing.

Regice's usage would increase a good bit because everyone would be scrambling to abuse it, just like what happened to Machamp. Regice can lead against Sash Omastar, and cripple it with Zap Cannon paralysis while it attacks/sets up, then go for the KO. A LO set of Focus Blast/Blizzard/Zap Cannon/Rest with a cleric partner would be appealing, particularly Lanturn, who has good defensive synergy with Regice. Many Pokemon who would normally switch into it have much more difficulty handling it with Zap Cannon's 100% paralysis rate. However, certain Fighting-types, especially Hariyama and the rare Throh, can still come in and eliminate Regice quickly with Close Combat and the like. Along with Regice's titanic 200 base SpD, you have a real monster on your hands.

No Guard, Regice should be very good in RU tier, running Life Orb with Blizzard / Focus Blast / Zan Cannon and Rock Polish, a very dangerous special sweeper i dont think that should be better or worst than the SubProtect Ice Body Regice with Charge Beam, RP Regice should fit well on any team offense while that Ice Body Regice requires Hail, very annoying and strong both but in a different way.

Now an interesting question,

What if Sand Storm (Hippopotas) is allowed in RU?
(If is avalaible first on UU tier, since some of the UU players data base wanna re-test this on the future)
In my opinion the mons that should to shine more are: CB stoutland, Sword Dance Sandlash and my favourite SubRoost bulky Aerodactyl.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Hiya, here to tackle some theories here.

What if Lilligant learned Spore?

This would be a nice improvement to Lilligant. It would have a fully accurate sleep inducing move, so with Sleep Talk users out, Lilligant can be more deadly because now you don't have to worry about a vital miss, and now you can grab QD boosts easier with the sleep; as they will be fully incapacitated, and switch out. Lilligant can sweep teams pretty easily already with Spore to get those turns. Scarf sets will also benefit, as a Scarf Spore will be really cool to quickly incapacitate something, then come in to revenge kill later. Nothing would change about how Lilligant functions in the tier, however.

What if Escavalier learned Bullet Punch?

I can definitely see this working well on SD sets, and I think SD Escavalier would be very viable. It can function as a great late-game cleaner with SD boosts, and can grab the boosts handily. Escavalier can revenge kill Pokemon such as Cinccino, Aerodactyl, Scolipede, etc. and can use Megahorn+Bullet Punch to handily pull off a sweep. Escavalier can also use this as a great priority move to handily be a sweeper, and this would patch up the Speed issue pretty well. Escavalier can also find use for this move on CB sets as a way for Escavalier to function as both a wallbreaker and revenge killer; it will still nuke shit with Megahorn, but Bullet Punch will have nice flavor for Escavalier to handily pick off weakened opponents that you may need to get rid of. I think this would be a nice improvement for Escavalier, given it's a slow as fuck mon. Iron Head may still be missed sometimes, though.

What if Whimsicott learned Sleep Powder?

Ughh. Sleep Powder Whimsicott would be annoying as hell. I can see Whimsicott function well as a double powder spreader, using Sleep Powder to instantly incapacite the opponent early on, and therefore that's literally a free kill. From there, it can spread Stun Spore to spread paralysis to the rest of the team, and has Taunt and stuff to further support its team. It can also use this on Sunny Day sets to incapacitate an opponent then set up sun and get something like Charizard in for absolutely free. Whimsicott would definitely love this as it would be a much better support Pokemon now.

This would be super legit, and would be an amazing special sweeper. Between Blizzard, Focus Blast, and Zap Cannon, Regice has amazing coverage and a hell of a lot of power. Regice would be a great sweeper with Rock Polish, and its titanic special bulk, even uninvested, makes it easy to grab an RP boost then pulverize the team with its power. Switching into Zap Cannon would also be really costly, since Regice can now spread paralysis and leave you in a rage. Specs Regice can also put a lot of pressure with Zap Cannon, and also use Sub to pressurize the opponent. I think this would be a damn monster, and would see a lot more usage.

What if Sand Stream was unbanned?

Hail, you've got something to fight now. Sand would be a great weather and would cause weather wars. This would make things much easier to wear down, and this would be great. Hippopotas+Stoutland can wreck, as Hippo gives Sand to basically speed up Stoutland to ridiculous levels, and it also provides Stealth Rock, which is great support. Stoutland would be very viable in RU now with Sand, as opposed to sorely outclassed and nicheless. Sandslash may also become a top threat as opposed to a non viable Pokemon, as it can sweep with Swords Dance and great coverage; it also has Rapid Spin, and now it can actually beat opposing spinblockers. I also see Rhydon becoming a greater threat in sand, as it has godly physical bulk, but its special bulk would also become astronomical. Rhydon can take hits like a complete boss on both sides of the spectrum, and can be a great tank to contend with. Sand may need things to cover the weaknesses, however, such as Mesprit, Rotom-C, and Scolipede (and Escavalier too). Sand would definitely be a highly prominent playstyle in RU and would probably force teams to run at least two checks to it.

As for a theory of my own...

What if Scolipede learned Stealth Rock?

I know this doesn't make any flavor sense, but hey, we've had some Pokemon that don't seem like they could learn SR actually learn the move (Infernape, Mesprit, Druddigon). Scolipede learns Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and has amazing speed to be a hazards lead. How would this affect Scolipede's performance in the tier? Will it be able to push Scolipede back into his rightful tiering placement?

mkizzy

formerly kenny
What if Entei gets Swords Dance?
This was previously posted by HnC but ignored =( Anyways, (this is all assuming that SD is legal with Blitz and ESpeed) Entei would be REALLY powerful after a boost, reliably 2HKOing most of the tier with Blitz + ESpeed + Stone Edge, although some things wall it. Things like Quagsire (especially with Unaware), Qwilfish (dropping its Attack boost with Intimidate), and Slowking do fine against Entei (lives +2 whatever[except Bite has a chance to OHKO LO!L] and OHKOs back). Infact, most bulky waters (and non bulky waters) aren't really bothered by Entei, being able to take whatever it throws at it and being able to OHKO back. Basically this is just an alternative set to Band and functions pretty similarily, except you aren't able to fire off Flare Blitzes right away. It pretty much just makes it slightly better against offensive teams.

Celever

i am town
I can see Entei having to compete for a team slot alongside Kabutops, but i would definitely try it out. On the note of Entei, though,
What if Entei got Power Whip
Yeah it makes no sense (idk I can see getting whipped with Entei's mane hurting) but it would be able to get past the water types he indefinitely struggles with and runs HP grass to beat. How would you fit it on a moveset though?

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Very easily. Run it over HP-Grass/Sleep Talk on physical attacking sets, and carry a teammate who can deal with the sleep inducers if they give you that much trouble. It's not like Entei has any other coverage moves to compete for the slot.

Putting aside the lack of flavor justification for the move, Entei would love Power Whip with every fiber of his being. Slowking, Poliwrath, and Kabutops would no longer be reliable Entei counters, so other Pokemon who appreciate having them gone would likely be paired with Entei to take advantage of the new toy (and the potential drop in usage of said Water-types). I could definitely see Druddigon becoming even more of a problem than it is now, given that it can take most anything Entei has to offer once and either smash Entei outright with Earthquake/Outrage or cripple him with Glare. Qwilfish wouldn't mind Power Whip too much, as it's got the same effective power against the little puffer as Stone Edge does with only marginally better accuracy, so I'd hazard a guess that Qwilfish would rise as it took the place of Poliwrath and company as Entei counters.

Celever

i am town
I've got a couple of topics here:
What if Quagsire got Stealth Rock?
Quagsire is apparently ineffective in current RU, I mean I still like him but whatever. I feel that he could be quite a nice Stealth Rock setter with unaware and counter.
What if Cryogonal got Volt Switch?
This would make Cryogonal a pretty great screener IMO, and of course the ground types that block Volt Switch get destroyed by his STAB attack (except for Quagsire '3')

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SD Entei: I can actually see this being very useful. Considering that quite a few players sometimes use Flame Plate over Choice Band on the physical attacker set already, SD would make for a fine choice in the last moveslot of those running Flame Plate. Basically, you could feign a Band early and Flare Blitz some shit and then come in late and setup an SD to sweep with ESpeed. Of course, the likelihood of this being legal with Flare Blitz and ESpeed isn't all that high, but it would be neat for sure.

Power Whip Entei: Yeah, this makes no sense, but it would be cool nontheless. Entei's final move is pretty much a niche option anyway and rarely gets use, so it could certainly do with the addition of another physical move. I could actually see this going over Stone Edge for those who want to keep Sleep Talk to handle sleep users.

SR Quagsire: Why does this thing not get SR again? P. much every other Water/Ground type gets it. Anyway, this would definitely give Quagsire a better niche since it could actually setup SR in the face of a setup sweeper and not give two shits thanks to Unaware (just make sure that setup sweeper doesn't use Grass moves!)

Volt Switch Cryogonal: Idk. While it would be neat to escape from Pursuit users, it kinda sucks to be weak to SR. Considering Cryo is a spinner itself, I don't think many people would use it as a Volt Switch user considering it's weak to Pursuit AND SR while being a spinner. Maybe VoltTurn teams would use it for the ability to spin and use Volt Switch, but even so...

Bit more of a practical suggestion with Entei:

What if Entei learned Wild Charge?:

Ok, outside of Flareon, just about every other physical attacking Fire-type learns the move. Emboar, Arcanine, Rapidash, and Victini all get the move via TM. While it does nothing to help Entei deal with Rhydon and the lesser-seen Quagsire, it would put a pretty big dent in every other bulky Water-type that tends to switch-in on Entei. With Wild Charge in its arsenal, I could easily see Druddigon and Rhydon rise as primary checks/counters to Entei since the former is resistant to Wild Charge and the latter is immune entirely.

Mack the Knife

What if Ambipom dropped down into RU?

I know this is pretty unlikely, but it is universally reviled in UU. If it were to drop, would it be good in RU? Would it have a large affect on the metagame, or be outshined by Cincinno and possibly fall into obscurity like Electivire?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Kay, here to answer some more theories.

What if Entei got Swords Dance?

This would be pretty cool, and this means Entei could easily run Flame Plate+SD if you want freedom over moves, and Entei could do an admirable job at wallbreaking except without immediate power; Entei could also use buffed ExtremeSpeed to sweep faster teams with its +2 Priority move that hits hard coming off of Entei; kinda like Absol in a way. This would be a really cool tool to give Entei more freedom of moves while still giving it a lot of power to use; it also allows it to step away from the standard CB set sometimes. (and besides, this would definitely be legal with Flare Blitz+Espeed, Swords Dance is a TM!)

What if Entei got Power Whip?

If it did, I can see Entei running this over HP Grass all the time, as this now gives Entei a powerful and reliable weapon against incoming Kabutops, Omastar, and Rhydon; three Pokemon that typically stop Entei from nuking teams into pieces. It also has a nice tool to handle other Water-types such as Slowking, Lanturn, and to a lesser extent Quagsire, and overall just gives Entei more overall coverage. This would definitely be a good tool for Entei to have, despite not making any flavor sense at all.

What if Quagsire got Stealth Rock?

I'll tell you this; Quagsire would be so much better if it got Stealth Rock, and I think it would be a staple of teams if it got the move. Quagsire, although rather outclassed, has a niche, and a very good one; Unaware is a great ability and allows Quagsire to stop cold setup sweepers such as BU Gallade, Durant, Absol, and a bunch of others. It also has reliable recovery in Recover allowing it to be effective, but even then, it still finds itself outclassed by the likes of Poliwrath, Alomomola, and others. But with SR, however, I think Quagsire can fill its niche effectively, but have the edge now over other Waters not only because of Unaware+Recover, but its ability to support the team with Stealth Rock. Not I'll tell you; SR is one of the best moves in the game, and Quagsire being able to do this would make it a milestone better because now it has a way to really support its team. I'd say Quagsire would be pretty good in RU if it got this move (although I'll admit I've used Quag successfully before).

What if Cryogonal got Volt Switch?

Thinking about it now, this would give Cryogonal another role outside of spinning. Although this wouldn't mean much for Cryogonal as far as spinning goes; because it's weak to SR and is super vulnerable to Pursuit, so as a spinner, Cryogonal would not get much out of Volt Switch in its spinning roles. However, Celever hit it head on with what Cryogonal could get from Volt Switch. Cryogonal would be a pretty good Dual Screens user, being able to set up both screens for the team, but also provide support with Switching out to something quickly to grab momentum. Cryogonal could also hit Water-types decently hard while serving as a scout. Cryogonal could definitely find some new roles with this move.

What if Entei learned Wild Charge?

This would be pretty swell, as Entei could definitely find a lot of use for this move because Fire+Electric is good coverage. Entei can use a great coverage move now to handle Slowking and friends with more ease, and also prevents Entei from being setup fodder for Omastar, which can be costly if that thing gets hazards or gets a boost, and you can probably lose. This would be pretty cool imo.

What if Ambipom was RU?

Unfortunately, I think this wouldn't do much, if anything. Ambipom is horribly outclassed by the likes of Cinccino, who has high Speed, but also has much more power and has the ability to eliminate Smeargle, Snover, etc as well, which eliminates the one niche Ambipom could possibly fill. Cinccino has more power, so it has much better sweeping chances than Ambipom, while Cinccino has the luxury of having the valuable ability to break Substitutes. Bullet Seed means it handles Kabutops and Omastar, better, and also prevents Omastar from boosting. The bulky nature of the RU metagame does not help Ambipom's case either; as it gets beaten as it is so frail it can't take a hit; but it also can't do a significant amount of damage back. Sad thing is, even if Ambipom has more power, there simply isn't much it could do in RU. It will probably have no impact outside of the initial hype at the beginning.

Anyways, as for a theorymon of my own:

I know this doesn't make any flavor sense, but hey, we've had some Pokemon that don't seem like they could learn SR actually learn the move (Infernape, Mesprit, Druddigon). Scolipede learns Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and has amazing speed to be a hazards lead. How would this affect Scolipede's performance in the tier? Will it be able to push Scolipede back into his rightful tiering placement?
I said this before, but anyways, how would this do?

It seems safe to say that Scolipede would be one of the most common hazard setters in RU if it got access to every hazard. Invest in max speed and pick the hazard of your choice depending on the opponent's team. Seems easy enough. Running a Focus Sash would essentially give you a more reliable version of lead Custap Crustle, and Scolipede has a decent attack stat and stab Megahorn which makes it good offensively. Even though Scolipede would give Crustle a lot of competition, Crustle could potentially rise in usage as an anti-scolipede lead with Rock Blast. And Crustle would probably be a better answer against lead Snovers who would not give Scolipede more than one turn to set up hazards. That is, unless Scolipede runs max HP to take minimal damage from Blizzards and Rock Blasts at the cost of its own attack. Unfortunately, Twineedle doesn't reliably OHKO Sash Snover even if it runs a -def nature.

252 Atk Scolipede Twineedle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Snover: 222-262 (85.05 - 100.38%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

As for something that could possibly complement Scolipede as a hazard setter...

What if Dusknoir got Technician?
Would it actually have some merit as a physical attacking spin blocker?

Last edited:
UU July Stats said:
| 57 | Houndoom | 3.52861% | 11533 | 3.955% | 9175 | 3.809% |
| 58 | Meloetta | 3.26713% | 9311 | 3.193% | 7363 | 3.057% |
WELP.

Also Dusclops is kinda close too but not as much so yeah. I think Houndoom dropping has already been brought up in this thread because it's consistently been close to dropping. Meloetta sure is interesting. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it's a bit broken, as I feel it could run so many effective sets. Not only does it have several powerful sets, but each group of sets has completely different checks.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SR Scolipede: This would make it just one of 3 Pokemon capable of using all entry hazards (Smeargle and Omastar being the others) so you could just basically plug in the 2 entry hazards you need it to carry while giving it Megahorn and Aqua Tail/Rock Slide as its attacking options to cover things as needed. Would definitely rise in usage since it has higher speed than both Smeargle and Omastar while hitting from the physical side.

Technician Dusknoir: Unlikely that this would change much. Although it may seem cool to have a stronger Shadow Punch/Shadow Sneak, this does nothing to fix Dusknoir's pathetic HP stat that makes it invest so heavily in its bulk in the first place. Imo, that's always been its problem. The fact that it has to invest in bulk to live attacks makes it to where it can't utilize its decent Attack stat since it can't afford to invest in it.

Virizion in RU: Well, this would definitely be a shake-up for sure. It would p. much be the best answer to Rotom-C with its special bulk and it could pose a threat on both the physical side and special side thanks to SD, CM, and a decent movepool on both sides. Grass/Fighting STAB combination crushes most RU walls, so I could see it being a pretty nice wallbreaker as well as a great cleaner. Base 108 Speed means it outpaces a large number of RU threats. Would definitely give Gallade stiff competition as the premier Fighting-type since it can actually deal with Slowking and Spiritomb reliably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)