RU Theorymonning

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is Attract worked on both genders?
I think this could cause a great change in the metagame. It'd be used a ton for stalling and set up sweepers and I think genderless Pokemon would go high up in usage. Crawdaunt, would be greatly happy for the ability to set up on walls. Many stall Pokemon or even hazerd setters would like it. What do you think?

I think this could cause a great change in the metagame. It'd be used a ton for stalling and set up sweepers and I think genderless Pokemon would go high up in usage. Crawdaunt, would be greatly happy for the ability to set up on walls. Many stall Pokemon or even hazerd setters would like it. What do you think?
Nothing would change because Attract is kinda bad. Its a moveslot that just isn't worth it because of the shakiness of its activation (doesn't even stay if the setter leaves)

What if Accelgor could run Encore and Spikes on the same set.

Lately i thought i came up with what would be a great idea, which is the above. Unfortunately they are illegal with each other. This would allow Accelgor to not be a dedicated lead and set up Spikes over the course of the match and gain momentum when 3 layers are present.

Accelgor @ Leftovers/Mental Herb
Trait: Sticky Hold/Unburden
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SAtk(or Atk) / 252 Spd
Timid/Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Spikes
- Substitute/Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass/U-Turn

Yeah, I think this could be pretty useful and has good utility too. Stopping Set-up sweepers and walls and setting up spikes on them or baton passing/u-turning out to gain momentum is great and Bug Buzz for finishing off weakened mons and to not make it complete Taunt fodder. A potential subpass is always nice.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mack the Knife said:
With this change, GSM pokemon would finally be free from Gamefreak's sexuality erasure, and pokemon could finally be free to love who they want. But that isn't enough, even gender-fluid legendary pokemon should be able to feel attraction (except for the obviously asexual Bronzong), just cause they don't identify as a gender, doesn't mean they don't feel love. One pokemon that I feel could benefit from this change:

Fabuslut (Lanturn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Attract
- Surf/Scald/Volt Switch

This Lanturn can paralyze you with its beauty, make you confused about your sexuality, and attract you with it's attractiveness, allowing a teammate to set up, or just to annoy the opponent to death with its sexiness. But this bisexual Lanturn is more versatile (;)) than you think, you could give it other fabulous nicknames like, Atomicllamas, Treeko, Oglemi, or Fish.

#samelove, #freegay, #oppressivegamefreak

What if Accelgor could run Encore and Spikes on the same set.

Lately i thought i came up with what would be a great idea, which is the above. Unfortunately they are illegal with each other. This would allow Accelgor to not be a dedicated lead and set up Spikes over the course of the match and gain momentum when 3 layers are present.

Accelgor @ Leftovers/Mental Herb
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SAtk(or Atk) / 252 Spd
Timid/Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Spikes
- Substitute/Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass/U-Turn

Yeah, I think this could be pretty useful and has good utility too. Stopping Set-up sweepers and walls and setting up spikes on them or baton passing/u-turning out to gain momentum is great and Bug Buzz for finishing off weakened mons and to not make it complete Taunt fodder. A potential subpass is always nice.
You should put Unberden as an Ability option, as it could work well with Mental Herb.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What if Accelgor got Destiny Bond?

Okay, I know this is usually reserved for ghost types, but for some reason I think it fits Accelgor flavor-wise, as it just seems like it could take its foes down with it. It would definitely be a cool option for both the suicide lead focus sash set, as well as for the offensive set, as it could lure out and take out stuff like Escavalier that it couldn't normally get around. I think that it could be used on p much every Accelgor set, let me know what you think.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Sorry for the doublespost but half-bump too.

What if Manectric gained Ice Beam and Grass Knot?

It has always been a popular option to use Hidden Power Ice on Manectric, as it is a reliable way to get past Druddigon. The only problem is the fierce competition with Hidden Power Grass to help him get past Quagsire and Lanturn. The problems on top of this is that the Hidden Powers usually end up pitifully weak; but what if Manectric gained more powerful moves that don't lose out on coverage? Well that would be Ice Beam and Grass Knot!

What if Manectric gained Ice Beam and Grass Knot?
Manectric would definitely love to use Ice Beam, as it's more powerful than Hp Ice. For Grass Knot, however, it's main use is for Quagsire, as it doesnt really hit Lanturn for more damage than HP Grass would do. It would be possible to run Volt Switch/Discharge, Ice Beam and Hp Grass however, but then the scarf set becomes less useful to pla around with, and so will his Specs set, as you either lose the ability to hit Steel-Types because of the loss of Ocerheat, or lose some utility by giving up Switcheroo.

Celever

i am town
Oh here's another one for you, mainly because I was really disappointed when I found out he couldn't learn it.
What is Sceptile learned U-Turn?
Sceptile with U-Turn would be really scary, and it would actually make Sceptile a pretty prominent scarfer in the tier IMO. It would clash with Unburden quite a lot though, so it wouldn't see use on every set. I would personally love using this as a Choice Band set since I think I am the biggest fan of VolTurn in RU actually (feel free to challenge me on that :P) and it would make Sceptile an incredibly versatile threat.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ice Beam/Grass Knot Manectric: Ice Beam would be a neat addition to Manectric's arsenal for the ability to get past Druddigon as well as Golurk. As for Grass Knot, I completely disagree with HP Grass only ever being used for Quagsire. Rhydon and Golurk anybody? Yeah, they get trucked by Grass Knot thanks to their high weight. Of course, Grass Knot does even more pitiful damage to Lanturn than HP Grass usually does. That said, the only set that would really be able to make use of either of these moves (Ice Beam especially) without running into serious 4MSS issues is the Special Attacker set and it would still have to decide between full coverage and the ability to use Volt Switch.

U-turn Sceptile: Idk on this one. While that blistering 120 Speed combined with U-turn would get to be really annoying, I don't really see how it really helps Sceptile itself. Sceptile's biggest claim to fame is its ability to sweep while bypassing priority users and/or revenge killers with the use of Substitute on special sets or Unburden on physical/mixed sets. Sceptile's base 85 Attack is decent, but not amazing (20 points lower than Mesprit who can barely clock in as a CB user) and many of Sceptile's physical moves are weaker than its special moves so I don't see CB being very effective. Choice Scarf is just overkill with something as fast as Sceptile. The only sets I can really see it being useful is a Specs set for scouting purposes or with a LO set utilizing Leaf Storm to let Sceptile keep momentum when it's forced to switch after the Special Attack drop from Leaf Storm.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmmmmm while testing out mandibuzz a bit this is something that came to mind

What if Mandibuzz learned Wish?

Mandibuzz has always been known for its outstanding overall bulk, possessing 110/105/95 defenses along with some cool resistances and immunities to work with, although its Stealth Rock weakness holds it back a bit. What Mandibuzz lacks though are some good, exclusive support moves such as hazards, wish, heal bell, etc. So, what if Mandibuzz had one of these, wish in particular. Personally, i think Wish Mandibuzz would be a pretty good boon to stall despite the Stealth Rock weakness. Mandibuzz can take pretty much any hit decently well and it has more than enough bulk to pass wishes onto her teammates while at least attempting to keep herself healthy as well, keep Stealth Rock off the field, and she'll be absolutely golden. Mandibuzz's Wishes would be pretty big too, nothing along the lines on Alomomola's mighty Wishes, but still significantly more than saw Clefable's Wishes, which is pretty significant as Mandibuzz could heal the majority of defensive Pokemon for most of their HP in just a single wishpass. Mandibuzz keeps all of her other support moves too, such as Knock Off, Taunt, Whirlwind, Foul Play, U-turn, Toxic etc, meaning she could probably perform the same role she does in today's metagame without any problems while also being able to be an effective Wishpasser. Imo, the most common set would probably be Wish/Foul Play/Taunt or Whirlwind/Roost or Protect, but there might be something i'm missing that could make the set even more effective. So, What would Mandibuzz be like if she learned Wish, would she be more effective in the current metagame? Do you think she'd still be NU or do you think she'd be solidly RU with the support move, what teams would appreciate Wish vulture, and what Pokemon might rise in usage to check her?

#revival
What if Absol got Close Combat?
Absol looks like a pokemon that would fight up close, so it makes sense flavor wise. Now Absol wouldn't have to lower its attack to hit Steel types.

Idk if Close Combat Absol would make much of a difference. It's kinda like a hit-and-run mon imo, and the defense drops from Close Combat make it even more susceptible to priority (especially Kabutops's Aqua Jet). Still, I would probably use it over Superpower but it wouldn't be a huge difference imo. Here's one I was thinking about the other day that seems pretty interesting. I don't think it was discussed yet either:

What if Rhydon had Solid Rock?

To be honest it would probably be like a low S Rank threat with this ability. Rhydon's current abilities are pretty useless to it unless you run Double-Edge which is pretty rare. It would be able to survive way more hits like Galvantula's Giga Drain, Kabutops's Aqua Jet, and Manectric's HP Grass which would allow it to get way more KOs on stuff that would normally take it down. What else would Solid Rock Rhydon be able to do?

Celever

i am town
Solid rock would be fantastic, however the offensive Grass-Type Pokemon of RU would still be able to O/2HKO him most of the time. See:
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 88 HP / 84 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 823-975 (220.64 - 261.39%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 88 HP / 84 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 282-336 (75.6 - 90.08%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Tank Tangrowth)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 88 HP / 84 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 1074-1269 (287.93 - 340.21%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Offensive Tangrowth)
252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 285-345 (76.4 - 92.49%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swanna Surf vs. 88 HP / 84 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 495-589 (132.7 - 157.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Hariyama Cross Chop vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 217-258 (58.17 - 69.16%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 243-288 (65.14 - 77.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

New spreads would have to be found for Rhydon to tank hits like these, but it would be very interesting and fun to use. Funnily enough I also thought up a Rhydon theorymon yesterday, I thought I posted it though...

What if Rhydon had Rapid Spin?

By spinning quickly, the user can escape from restraining moves.

This is the description of Rapid Spin. What does Rhydon do? Spin his horn. Quickly.

Obviously having a new defensive rapid-spinner would hurt Cryogonal and Sandslash a lot, while Kabutops could also see less usage from it. Those people who are willing to use Sandslash because of defensive rocks AND Rapid Spin will love Rhydon, while he can also go offensive partnered with Trick Room. With Trick Room, Rhydon can beat Spiritomb 252+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 169-199 (55.77 - 65.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO on the switch or simply keep him out. He could also run a Lum Berry and NOT use Trick Room support to beat out the ghosts. There would probably be a split for some time whether Rhydon or Kabutops was the better Rock-Type spinner, but the answer is that they go on different teams!

Also: 252+ Atk Choice Band Rhydon Rapid Spin vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 89-105 (29.96 - 35.35%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Muahahahahahaa!!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Solid Rock is the only real difference between Rhyperior and Rhydon, Solid Rock Rhydon would be a top 10 pkmn.

Rapid Spin Rhydon would be really good, better than Kabutops by a decent margin because he's bulky enough to spin consistently and strong enough to force pkmn out to get time to spin. Additionally he can do serious damage to tomb, so tomb has to be careful switching in. It'd be like spin blocking Starmie in OU basically, there is no pkmn that can tank its attacks and block spin.

However if Rhydon got spin Rhyperior would probably be OU and Rhydon would (imo) likely be UU.

Given how almost every mon with solid rock has x4 weakness i wish the ability cut damage by half. Sigh daydreams over heres a new one
What if unnerve lowered spatk instead of its current effect?
I posted this in ou thread but it suits better here since so many unnerve mons are here. Think stuff like galvantula would become more bulky on the spdefence side.

What if Unneerve lowered Sp. Atk
Well, I'd say it woudl help a lot with putting a stop to things like Magneton, Magmortar etc, as it's current effect is kinda useless.
However, the only users of unnerve available in RU are: Arbok, Persian, Ursaring, Masquerain, Vespiquen, Fraxure, Aerodactyl and Galvantula.
Out of that list, Only Arbok, Masquerain, Vespiquen and fraxure are notable, because they have decent bulk to actually function like a special wall and not an better ability (like Guts on Ursaring) so it's use is kind of limited. =/

Wish Mandibuzz: Hmm...kinda on the fence on this one. Agreeing wholeheartedly that Mandibuzz deserves some support moves, however with Wish she still faces some serious competition from other Wish users. Alomomola generally outclasses her as a pure Wishpasser due to Regenerator, while Clefable has a gigantic movepool to fill in even more roles (Rocks, Heal Bell, etc). That said, her excellent mixed defenses and unique set of resistances could carve her just enough of a niche to get RU usage. She does much better with things like Sceptile and Typhlosion who can break Clefable with Focus Blast.

Solid Rock Rhydon: I feel like this guy should definitely have it since he really needs Head Smash for Rock Head to be useful. Anyway, I do think there will be some disappointment as always with Solid Rock, the list of moves he can now tank is incredible. Examples include Banded Cinccino Bullet Seed, LO Accelgor Giga Drain, Tank Tangrowth Giga Drain, and Defensive Slowking Scald, while avoiding 2HKOs from things like Qwilfish Waterfall, Scarf Mesprit Ice Beam, Lead Accelgor Focus Blast, and physical Entei HP Grass. Definitely a useful ability and bound to make him top 10.

Unnerve like a special Intimidate: Turtleye kinda hit the nail on the head with the viable users things. That said, Coil Arbok now looks much interesting, being able to boost his Defense while retaining decent special bulk. But the big winner in my eyes is Aerodactyl. With Unnerve, he can now add some bulk to his Choice Band set, or add more immediate bulk to any set lacking Double-Edge. He also gains an option for a Bulky Hone Claws set with Roost/Taunt and EdgeQuake to set up on big threats like Moltres, though he's still vulnerable to revenge killing by his usual counters.

Finally, one of my own:
What if Drapion had Moxie?
Drapion was a good Pokemon once, but now it's seen as too weak for an great offensive set while not quite enough bulk for a great defensive set. So I feel like Drapion deserves a boost, although I kinda struggled to find just one thing that would help him that still sorta kinda fit with flavor. Moxie was my best guess (his Dex entry states "it takes pride in its strength", so something like Moxie, or its Japanese name Overconfidence, seemed to kinda fit), and it somewhat alleviates the offensive problem, as once he KOs a weakened Pokemon, it becomes harder for defensive Pokemon to stomach his blows. A Scarf set becomes somewhat viable as a cleaner, since 95 Speed is enough to outspeed many speedy threats in RU (Scarf Emboar, Rotom-C, and Rotom-N, or Aerodactyl and Accelgor). However, early on it is still difficult for him to get through defensive Pokemon like Alomomola and Ferroseed (they need +4 for a 2HKO), and if he uses Swords Dance to speed up the process he still struggles with many of the aforementioned revenge killers who can hit him super-effectively or on his weaker defensive side. SubSalac is the last option I see, getting the Speed of a Scarf while maintaining the power of SD, but then he's much weaker to basically all priority. So would Moxie help Drapion? Can any 1 thing help Drapion?

What is Electivire got Sheer Force?

electivire is known for its amazing coverage, and if he got sheer force, his move pool would hit a heck of a lot harder. Thunder Punch wouldn't hit as hard as wild charge AND no recoil. ice punch would become 97 bp, allowing it to hit those omnipresent grass types harder. Life orb would be a great option due to boosting his moves even further without the recoil drawback. he would also be able 2 run mixed/special sets with t-bolt and flamethrower.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What if Electivire got Sheer Force?

To be honest this looks like a pretty good buff for Electivire, and i think it might be just enough to make it a bit more of a solid choice in the current metagame, at least compared to how people view it now with all the Electivire bashing and stuff. Electivire's coverage is pretty phenomenal to be honest, the real problem Electivire has is that a lot of its coverage moves either have low BP (Ice Punch, non STAB Flamethrower) or are suicidal in nature (Wild Charge). Sheer Force helps with both of these pretty significantly, as it boosts the base power of ThunderPunch, Ice Punch, and Flamethrower pretty significantly, while also removing any Life Orb recoil Electivire might take when using these moves thanks to Sheer Force mechanics. Because Thunderpunch is actually stronger than Wild Charge with the Sheer Force boost taken into account, Electivire doesn't have to worry about that recoil either when it has to use its STAB move. I could see Motor Drive and Vital Spirit being missed at times, but honestly Sheer Force would probably be a good enough of an ability to make losing out on the Electric-type immunity or the Sleep immunity more than worth it. Overall, Sheer Force Electivire would probably have quite a bit of potential as an RU wallbreaker, and i'd definitely give it a shot if it recieved the ability somehow.

Might add a theorymon here later

What if Cradily can learn Paleo Wave?

Cradily can now attack with dual STAB without resorting to Hidden Power or AncientPower, and a special attacker set can emerge from this new addition. Cradily still suffers from 4MSS, and a special set has to choose between hitting Escavalier, Durant, and Ferroseed harder or recovery, and its Special Attack is rather subpar without boosts from Calm Mind/Nasty Plot (both which can also help it).

What if Electivire got Sheer Force?

As Molk mentioned, this has the obvious advantage of boosting Flamethrower, Thunderpunch, and Ice Punch (sorry Cross Chop and Earthquake), while removing the LO recoil from these moves. However, there is one less commonly used coverage move that IMO has its merits on mixed sets and becomes even more viable with Sheer Force: Psychic. The reason why Psychic is a good coverage move is that it already has a high Base Power, and gives Electivire a way to hit Fighting-types super-effectively, such as Primeape, Sawk, Gurdurr, and Emboar. It makes mixed sets more viable since Flamethrower/Psychic/Thunderpunch/Ice Punch gets SE coverage on Slowking, Druddigon, Tangrowth, Ferroseed, and many other common RU threats. The only super-common RU Pokemon not hit super-effectively by these moves is Entei, and even he struggles to switch in since Thunderpunch will still be a heavy hit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)