RU Stage 3.1 - Boom Boom Pow (Toxtricity Banned | April Shifts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some takes I have on minor moves and EV choices:

:sv/mudsdale: Mudsdale: Before april 1st I would have said that spdef mudsdale is the superior build by far. After toxtricity and rotom heat left, I think physdef and spdef are roughly equally viable, but I think we need to see more spdef mudsdales. I also believe that adamant spdef mudsdale has a place. Adamant mudsdale with 0 attack EVs can get a guaranteed ohko on kilowattrel with stone edge, 28 evs get you the guaranteed 2hko on max defense oricorio, going up to 80 or so gives you a chance to ohko physdef coalossal and every point helps make stuff like Sylveon or Slowbro less able to exploit mudsdale. A ground type that gets easily worn down by Kilowattrel is just unreliable, and there are still some special attackers than mudsdale can reliably beat 1v1. The real thing I want to talk about with mudsdale is moves. Simply put: stop running heavy slam. You lose to rotom, you lose to kilowattrel, you lose to oricorio and you just don't do enough damage in general. The better moves are body press and stone edge. body press gets boosted by stamina to the point where even resisted body presses do decent of damage to flying types. Stone edge is the much preferred move on spdef mudsdale though, since it has a good chance to ohko kilowattrel and does good damage to other flying types like oricorio and altaria.

:sv/kilowattrel: Kilowattrel: Speaking of this bird, I think roost is a bit overrated and not required on all kilowattrel sets. If you are relying on kilo to check flamigo then roost is needed, but otherwise I think that tera blast helps you have more impact overall. Before the april shifts and ban I was fond of tera rock because it let you beat hattom and other kilowattrels, but I'm not sure what the best tera blast type is right now. Water seems like the good generic tera type, rock still beats other kilos and flying types, ice is good for bolt beam coverage and now you don't need to worry about heattom walling you.

:sv/gardevoir: :sv/indeedee: psyshock: It seems like even after toxtricity and heattom left, Blissey is still going to be a fact of life. For that reason, I think psyshock should be the standard psychic attack on these two. It doesn't do >50% to Blissey with scarf, but the damage is still good and it allows you to run Blissey out of soft boileds faster even if you trick your scarf onto something else. Specs sets on these two really want psyshock, since it allows them to break the blob without having to trick their item.

Now that I'm out of ladder tour I can post some of my thoughts on the tier;

:flamigo: Scarf is whatever but Choice Band genuinely has 0 counterplay beyond saccing 2 Pokemon so it dies to Recoil and Rocky Helmet. U-turn does half to slowbro and invites in whatever breaker you want and Tera CC 2HKO's pretty much every other resist, including Altaria. Doesn't really have a warping presence in the tier because there is literally nothing that you can do about it. Alomomola offered some kind of pivot into it that wasn't weak to U-turn but that's gone now..

:slowbro: Played test games with a couple good players including Eifo and Danny, and today in my ladder tour series vs Franklin (very good series go check it out :o ) and in all those test games where both people brought a Slowbro, it came down to a CM crit war. With the unpredictability of their Tera type you can't safely go into something that threatens CM Slowbro (which isn't much in the first place) and threaten it out, because it can just Tera and OHKO you back. If both people didn't bring a Slowbro, the one who did usually wins, which doesn't seem healthy to me at all. I've seen Slowbros run all sorts of tech for the MU, from using Nasty Plot instead to using Stored Power since +6 Psyshock does like 30? lol? Obviously Slowbro holds a lot of the tier together but I think Flamigo should be banned in this meta anyway and Slowbro is extremely centralizing and has 0 long-term checks because it can always afford to hit any offensive check even if it gets to low HP and just regen out.

:cetitan: :abomasnow: :frosmoth: Building for RUPL has been a nightmare because of my hellish snow creation. Cetitan literally has no answers after it gets setup besides dogshit Crocalor and makes prepping for my teammates a matter of "don't let them set up I guess" which is hard to say when Cetitan has absurd bulk and a Snow boost and a Aurora Veil boost. Frosmoth and all the other bullshit QD mons, Venomoth and both Oricorio's also need to go, especially Sensu. No tera preview is a huge issue for Ori's and Venomoth is broken even without Tera and Frosmoth is broken even if you know the Tera. Everything in this section removes any amount of skill expression from the tier and just enables a worse player to eek out a win vs someone better than them.

:blissey: :altaria: :mudsdale: All 3 of these fat fucks are A- minimum and stall is the best playstyle in the tier right now. Blissey to me honestly feels like an A+ Pokemon, it just blanket checks so much and has a surprising amount of set diversity to enable it from being taken advantage of, like Copycat, CM + Shadow Ball, Fling / Trick to remove TrickScarfs, and Healing Wish when it gets too low or becomes worthless in a game. Altaria pretty much ensures hazards just won't be a factor in a game, stopping its defog is incredibly hard bc its high BP moves threaten most offensive checks like Weavile and Gardevoir, and every hazard setter besides Blissey gets completely murked by Will-O-Wisp, and Blissey gets PerishTrapped which forces a death or a Tera Ghost. I haven't used SDef Mudsdale yet but I've played against a lot of it and its surprisingly really good. Mudsdale is very similar to Blissey in the sense that it blanket checks a lot of threats while also having enough variance to keep it from being too predictable.

TL;DR ban flamigo and slowbro and cetitan and somehow the move Quiver Dance

I'm gonna do a real post in a few days but i believe all of Kilowattrel, Flamigo and Slowbro should be looked at. Kilo is just too fast and strong for this meta and having 2 immunities on a glass cannon like it its crazy. CB Flamigo has no real counterplay you either bring Slowbro and hope they don't click u-turn or let them click CC for free. Slowbro itself i think its incredibly centralizing and Slowbro vs No Slowbro is kinda always in favour of the Slowbro user. I hope to see some more discussion as i collect my thoughts better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)