Metagame RU Stage 1 - Begin Again (Welcome to gen 9!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonna post some of my takes on the tier with explanations for anything that I have a lot of experience using and playing against

Ban:
:cloyster: Obviously this is a super early thing to say, but when exploring defensive options for this thing they're extremely limited and nearly impossible when factoring Tera compared to the ease of use this thing has. Tera Ice sets can muscle past raw physical walls like Bellibolt while Tera Grass and Electric obviously break through bulky Water-types like Vaporeon and Slowbro. Cloyster's bulk, especially paired with Screens makes it far too easy to set up for how difficult it is to manage.

:haxorus: Haxorus, much like Dragon Dance users in tiers above it, is a prime example of what can break Tera. Lose to Sableye and Slowbro? Tera Dark. Lose to Fairy- and Ice-types? Tera Steel. These are the two best examples but Haxorus has a very malleable movepool and bulk. Haxorus can also use Swords Dance with Trailblaze probably more effectively than Dragon Dance but that's up for debate.

S tier:

:slowbro: Keeps the broken Fighting-types like Flamigo and Tauros in check and stays healthy with Slack Off and Regenerator. Calm Mind sets can take over games quite easily, bolstered further by Terastalizing. Yawn and Thunder Wave can also be spammed with no commitment in a tier with very little answers to status. Future Sight pairs incredibly well with Dark-types like Weavile and Krookadile for essentially guaranteed KO’s when set up properly.

A tier:
:tauros-paldea-fire: Fantastic offensive presence even when defensively oriented, able to check a lot of the tier and reliably spread burns. Offensive sets are also quite good in their own right, with either Choice Band or Cud Chew strats. Intimidate and Fire-Fighting typing lets Tauros check big threats like Weavile, Slush Rush sweepers, and Heracross.

:bellibolt: Bellibolt can effectively 1v1 most of the tier with Soak, Charge Beam, and Parabolic Charge. It's bulk lets it even stifle out setup sweepers like Scarf Heracross and Cloyster. Soak while Charged often forces an immediate switch, making hazard stacking insane when paired with Bellibolt.

:gardevoir: Particularly Choice Scarf sets are amazing offensively in a tier lacking good Steel-types while Trick and Trace give Gardevoir amazing utility.

:toxtricity: I think the Shift Gear Tera-Normal set is quite overrated, but Choice Specs is nearly uncheckable and Shift Gear sets are still good, just not the auto-win button some people make it out to be.

:mudsdale:

:abomasnow: :cetitan: Insane Snow core, Cetitan is very difficult to check, especially with Tera. I've used Tera-Dark to wall Sableye but Tera Ice can make for even stronger +6 Ice Shards and Fairy, Fire, and Ghost can make for great defensive Teras to enable a safer Belly Drum.

:rotom: (Heat and Mow)

:weavile: Choice Band with Beat Up completely dunks on all the dedicated leads and besides Tauros and Arcanine can 2HKO almost the whole tier and even has Ice Shard to pick off weakened Scarf users and setup sweepers.

:bronzong: The SSNU IronPress set that I made way back when is still super dumb. Basically the only good Steel-type with SR and good coverage too.

Other stuff I haven't used but seems A rank worthy when playing against or just thinking about it:
:goodra: :blissey: :arcanine: :heracross: :magnezone: :lycanroc-dusk: :oricorio: :sableye: :sylveon: :flamigo: :tatsugiri: :salazzle: :krookodile: :espeon:

Stuff I think is B rank worthy or below.
:primeape: :komala: :spidops: :hariyama: :lycanroc: :froslass: :altaria: :dragalge: :drifblim: :beartic: :dudunsparce: :zoroark: :veluza:

Sorry for the watered down second half of this post I got tired :0
You forgot brokenmoth is so sad

You forgot brokenmoth is so sad
Never really encountered one while playing and I topped ladder on two different accounts. I can’t think of any reason for why it wouldn’t be broken on paper but I honestly just forgot it existed when making this. I’ll mess around with that and offensive Lycanroc-Dusk today, because I think those are both quite broken.

whats broken and whats not in this meta seems to differ from person to person, which imo is a sign that nothing is egregiously broken, but I thought I'd share my thoughts:

:haxorus: probably the one thing I can say for certain should be banned once alpha ends, a distinct lack of pokemon that actually check this thing is the biggest offender, and the fact that it does genuinely just threaten to win on the spot in so many scenarios is utterly disgusting, the only "check" to every set is avalugg, who risks getting hit with some random tera like fairy that just beats it, luckily (or unluckily) it's rarely tera fairy as it'd much rather be tera steel to stop any form of offensive counterplay! fun!

:toxtricity: the shift gear sets will fall off as time goes on (far too limited, too easy to stop, can't abuse tera defensively since it wants tera normal) but specs sets are absolutely disgusting and make this mon extremely threatening and arguably broken, nothing switches in, nothing, palossand is vulnerable to the likes of snarl or hex making it an unreliable check and everything else either gets blown up by boomburst or volt switched into oblivion, the fact that this thing can pivot on top of being basically unwallable should say enough about how ridiculous it is, but I do think it should be suspected rather than quickbanned due to both of its sets having at least some counterplay and it rarely just winning games on its own

:venomoth: is threatening, but imo not quite banworthy just yet, very frail, not all that strong even with tinted lens (even the likes of heracross can live a +2 hit and kill back) and its setup opportunities tend to be fairly limited, and it needs a ton of setup to be even remotely threatening, might be banworthy later, but for now imo its fine

:cloyster: this thing on the other hand can go fuck itself, shell smash in addition to near unwallable coverage in icicle spear + hydro pump for lugg followed by your choice of filler (ice shard to beat prio, liquidation for physical water stab, ect. is crazy strong, with very few reliable checks outside of your resisdent steels, of which zong is the only really reliable check, and all of which are very prone to being worn down, stupid mon, and once alpha ends should probably be suspected.

and besides that, I don't really think anything is that broken, at least right now, I can see several mons being suspected down the line for one reason or another. but these are probably the most egregious, thats all for now, thanks for reading!

Look I know I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but y'all think this set might work as a glue on bulky teams to survive the setup onslaught?

:Sv/Crocalor:
Crocalor @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Roar
- Fire Spin/Curse

Spin and curse are here just to get a little chip once you're forced to stay in. Curse also let's you beef up a bit before clicking tera so you can survive some more physical hits.

252+ SpA Punk Rock Toxtricity Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 224 SpD Eviolite Tera Ghost Crocalor: 129-153 (35.2 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 32+ Def Eviolite Tera Ghost Crocalor: 169-199 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Crunch vs. 252 HP / 32+ Def Eviolite Tera Ghost Crocalor: 226-268 (61.7 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 32+ Def Eviolite Tera Ghost Crocalor: 135-165 (36.8 - 45%) -- approx. 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 224 SpD Eviolite Tera Ghost Crocalor: 125-148 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(sorry if my english sounds bad, i promise i did my best !)

So i made a VR, let me explain some points :

my-image.png

: this mon is just broken, and i think anyone can agree with that. He's very versatile, can run SD for breaking easily defensives cores. +1 DD make him able to outspeed scarf users like gardevoir or flamigo. CB got a really strong utility too with first impression. None of the currently mons of the tier is able to check him at 100%.

: Strong priority with an amazing speedtier and movepool. This mon is silly, and even slowbro or palo isnt able to deal with LO crunch on a switch.

252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 187-221 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 187-221 (47.4 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO

It sure gets checks, like musdale or colbur berry palo/slowbro, but he restricts hugely many team builds, and it deserve to be banned imo.

: it's basically a strong mon. It's easier to set up this mon with dual screens teams. It can deal with priority users with it's own, not the mention to tera which helps him to deal with mons like mag with tera ground.

Revavroom : it's actually underrated. This mon is as stupid as cloyster. He got an amazing typing, which able him to set up on the majority of the tier. Imo, best tera type is water.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Water Revavroom Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 354-421 (94.6 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Water Revavroom Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 234-277 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

i think it will be a meta-def mon in the coming weeks, when alpha ends.

-Gardevoir is an actual threat offesively and defensively (esp tera ghost) as you rain hard on Lycanroc and Toxtricity's parades
-Tera and or ghosts are really important for the tier (Avalugg/Mudsdale Body Press, Lycanrock/Heracross Close Combat, Toxtricity Boomburst, Teracross Facade) which means Mabostiff should be pretty good.

It's interesting that OU, UU, and RU each have premier body pressers in Garganacl, Orthworm, and Avalugg/Mudsdale.

I don’t think lycanroc is ban worthy honestly. It has a fair amount of checks and priority is nice for all the setup sweepers around. If anything, cloyster js more ban worthy.

What do you guys think of CM Vaporeon? It got it and I think it’s opened up a lot of potential, especially since it can easily reach 404 (Does that matter if blissey is gonna calm mind though?) and fully invested HP is divisible by 16 (Just something nice). Ice beam destroys pretty much every haze user. I tried it and it seems to work quite well, even if it doesn’t sweep it‘s good at making some pressure. I‘m a low ladder scum though so could it have a real niece over defensive sets? (Defensive sets lost 3/5 of their commonly run moves during the transaction, ouch). I also am not so sure what EVs are optimal, full defense or full special defense. Special defence helps you set up in front of the special attacking Pokémon you’re trying to set up on, but full defence is more defensive utility and stops physical attackers from just ruining. I think defence is better and it’s not necessarily special attackers you set up on but passive Pokémon too. Also, Vaporeon and Espeon got new battle poses, which I think is cool.

I don’t think lycanroc is ban worthy honestly. It has a fair amount of checks and priority is nice for all the setup sweepers around. If anything, cloyster js more ban worthy.
Lycanrock doesn't really have any checks once you factor Terastalization. Tera Rock, Fight, and Dark are all great types in the meta for multiple reasons and I'll show the calcs and logic behind each of them here.

Tera Fighting
STAB Tough Claws-boosted Close Combat breaks through even the sturdiest of physical walls, making it stronger than even Terrakion.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Fighting Lycanroc-Dusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 442-523 (109.4 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Fighting Lycanroc-Dusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellibolt: 469-554 (111.1 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Fighting Lycanroc-Dusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 398-469 (117.7 - 138.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I don't really need to go on, you get the point after Mudsdale.

Tera Dark
May seem like a more unconventional choice, however STAB Crunch lines up perfectly against its best checks, Slowbro, Pallosand, and even is immune to Sableye's Prankster moves while also completely walling it, letting you SD as much as you want.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Dark Lycanroc-Dusk Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 554-655 (140.6 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Dark Lycanroc-Dusk Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 554-655 (148.1 - 175.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Dark Lycanroc-Dusk Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 355-419 (116.7 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tera Rock
Boosted +2 Accelrock destroys pretty much all offensive checks, and Stone Edge breaks through a lot of neutral targets as well.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Rock Lycanroc-Dusk Accelerock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flamigo: 354-416 (116 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Tera Rock Lycanroc-Dusk Accelerock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Mow: 260-307 (107.8 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not saying Lycanroc-Dusk is for sure broken, but it's definitely a contender for it, and although Cloyster and Haxorus might also be ban-worthy that doesn't mean multiple Pokemon can't be broken at once. I personally think Lycanroc-Dusk is an unhealthy breaker for the tier, especially with screens support, and even though the tier is super young, just looking for consistent checks to this thing seems pretty hopeless.

-Gardevoir is an actual threat offesively and defensively (esp tera ghost) as you rain hard on Lycanroc and Toxtricity's parades
-Tera and or ghosts are really important for the tier (Avalugg/Mudsdale Body Press, Lycanrock/Heracross Close Combat, Toxtricity Boomburst, Teracross Facade) which means Mabostiff should be pretty good.

It's interesting that OU, UU, and RU each have premier body pressers in Garganacl, Orthworm, and Avalugg/Mudsdale.
Hard agree. Trace in particular has a surprising degree of usefulness
You can pivot into Slowbro, Tatsugiri, and Toxctricity.
You can reliably revenge KO Weather sweepers, Dragalge, and Oricorio while getting some kind of boost out of it.

Beyond Trace, Moonblast is incredibly spammable in the tier, and Trick cripples the few switchins to it like Bronzong and specially defensive Sylveon and Florges. Healing Wish greatly supports tanks like Hariyama and Tauros-Fire while also just curing brutal status conditions since there's no Heal Bell or Aromatherapy. I've been meaning to try Choice Specs but honestly Choice Scarf alone, especially with Tera Fairy, blows through so much of the tier. Super healthy presence in the tier and I'm honestly super happy to have it around, solid A+ rank to me imo.

(sorry if my english sounds bad, i promise i did my best !)

So i made a VR, let me explain some points :

View attachment 481337
Few things that I disagree with on this VR..

:Whiscash: This mon actually has a niche now as a hazard stack lead, and I've made a couple effective HO teams with it. Taunt immune + Rocks and Spikes now means that it would be able to get hazards up in the face of some designated leads such as Froslass and Lycanroc-Midday. Incredibly passive though, and can easily become settup fodder if the opponent decides to lead with something like Haxorus after seeing Whiscash, still think it owes a spot in at least D tier.

:Vivillon-Fancy: Love vivi, and I see it as a bit more notable with Terra as it's issue in coverage can be fixed. Combination of Sleep cheese, Quiver D, Hurricane, and Terra though means that it can be a pretty potent sweeper. Might be like C- in my books, I definitely see it better than Mareanie for example. Haven't tried out :Mareanie: but I'll take your word for it as D tier.

:Klawf: and :Blissey: imo are overrated, Klawf especially I do not see as being better than :Mabosstiff: as it's too frail to effectively do an anger shell set, can't really act as a physical wall to many of the current threats in the meta without going tera, it's movepool has some decent support options with rocks + knock off but it both feels a bit too passive or frail depending on the set for B+ where you put it. I heard of assault vest as well for it but haven't tried it out. Blissey is good but it's nowhere near dominant which I think would be implied from where you put it in VR, I personally don't think it fits super well in this meta but I'm open to counter argument.

I think :Mabosstiff: and :farigiraf: are a clear step ahead of everything else in B-, and especially without that many bulky waters I'd drop :Cacturne: as well. :Ursaring: has been completely underwhelming when I've faced it, and considering the threat Mabosstiff and Farigarif pose with Mabo's stakeout choice set + farigarif's insane bulk with agility + cm I see them as closer to B/B+ imo. Nothing else sticks out too too much, Maybe Mismagius drop a bit or Lurantis for C- but D is pretty good for it too.

I'm not going to sugar-coat Komala :komala: as a staple of the tier, but honestly I think that its role compression is very valuable, especially with an AV.

You have Rapid Spin for hazards, Sucker Punch for priority (very useful against some setup mons), Uturn to pivot and EQ to smoke the overconfident Revavroom and Toxtricity.

In a screens team, this thing can switch into any special attack and (slow)pivot into one of your broken setup sweepers.

Pluim

formerly goodra4thewin
I know this might sound odd, but Calm Mind Espeon with STAB Stored Power might be a scary combination that non-dark types can struggle to switch into safely
If the opponent lets you get Calm Minds up sure, but nobody is realistically going to do that. A defensive tera could add survivability, such as Tera Fighting to resist Sucker Punch and Accelerock and provide fighting coverage for steels.
Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Tera Blast
- Substitute/Shadow Ball
Overall though while I think it can work, and isn't that horrible, at the end of the day just too frail to set up and then sweep. It has a nice speed tier but gets rk'd by priority (without tera fighting) and Scarfers. It also is unable to take out pokemon like Bronzong (which just walls), but also Psychic types in general without Shadow Ball.

+3 252 SpA Espeon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 282-334 (83.4 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This is with 3 Calm Minds.

Imo I prefer a Specs set as a revenge killer for the instant power. It doesn't have to set up to be able to use Psychic stab and rely on Tera. It still struggles with similar pokemon, but it doesn't require a Calm Mind to do its job.
Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tera Blast

That being said I have had a lot more success with Specs Gardevoir (Tera Fairy) due to stab Moonblast + fblast coverage being so strong. You can mix it up with Mystical Fire for Bronzong also.
Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Mystical Fire
Bronzong can still switch in, but can't more than once with a correct prediction:

252 SpA Choice Specs Gardevoir Mystical Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 156-184 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Call me a clown but i think wigglytuff is viable in RU. It has a massive support movepool, such as rocks and wish. It also got taunt this gen.

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

This set has insane utility. It can set up rocks, pass wish and can also taunt to cripple certain Pokémon. Of course, you COULD run competitive but it would be a huge waste of its support movepool. It could also set up screens.

However, I would also expect it to be D tier in the viability rankings (barely viable) as it is mostly outclassed by Dachsbun

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
Not me randomly talking about sets early morning... I kinda wanted to try offence so most of this will be based off that sorry

Whiscash @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Icy Wind

This is actually dumb that this is good, but it really is. Essentially has nearly everything a hazards lead wants: immunity to taunt, multiple hazards, a move that hinders the opponent pretty badly, and somehow still has some offensive presence. Honestly might prefer this to Froslass - who is a better screen setter anyway - or Lycanroc, because using this allows you to use Lycanroc in the way God intended, click buttons and break stuff. Its tera water here because you will never, never, NEVER tera this, please don't, like even ghost really just use another ghost its not worth it

Veluza @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Surf
- Fillet Away
- Recover

So I've seen this in the UU thread, I did not come up with it at all, but ngl I fell in love. Now its not good, like at all, it has SO many problems, biggest one is hi Umbreon, right until the realization that its not fast or bulky enough, but... it does win some games, and more often than you'd think. I really don't like physical in comparison with Bruxish, even crit set just doesn't do it enough imo, but this random thing? It really has little competition there and good thing its actually still a bit bad because we'd have issues.

Salazzle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Corrosion
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Pulse / Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic

I talked a bit about Salazzle in my previous post, and imo this is the way to use it. I have seen a lot of talk about banning Cloyster - the usual sign telling me people find screens a problem in RU - and well, this is one good revenge killer for it. Cloyster will almost never have a tera type that blanks this stab combo - if it uses rock LOL - which makes it about as consistent as it will get. It does other things, obviously: steel type haxorus is fried by flamethrower after a DD, and does not enjoy taking neutral hits at all either, or a Dragon Pulse if no tera. You can technically put tera dragon to secure the ko always but its a tough mon to tera imo. Knock Off, Toxic, Toxic Spikes are all pretty good utility moves. Toxic is consistent vs QD mons which is always nice. Toxic Spikes are always fun and Knock is Knock, also makes you do something vs Naclstack....

(Edit: actually two things I was forgetting, but you always outspeed +2 Toxtricity and +2 Drednaw with this, no matter their nature. This can be huge to revenge them after decent chip in the former's case. Its more complicated with Drednaw, but there's options. Tera Blast with grass obviously, but it would probably be easier to fit foul play on it and this does around 75 after a shell smash. This also do a good chunk to Haxorus, so could go instead of Dragon Pulse if you are confident of picking it off after)

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

You can talk all you want about Florges, or Sylveon, or Dachsbun, I don't care. THIS is the best fairy wish passer in the tier.

... At least until Haxorus is banned, because Foul Play koes that right quick and the other three cry the moment it goes into tera poison (why are we all using steel btw? Like I get the accelrock resist but avalugg and dog....) but Umbreon just has a lot less passivity in some key moments vs offensive teams that the other passers just can't match. However, in hard balance matchups the lack of toxic or heal bell gets to it really bad, so Umbreon still has some flaws but fairy is an excellent option on it and its a good mon!

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draining Kiss
- Taunt / Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

So, I love Mismagius, its the mascot, my favourite mon, my spirit animal, literally represents me in a spiritual fashion, has a great hat. I did not know it got Draining Kiss, and this changed everything. I wasn't heavily considering Mismagius before to my shame, and now it might be one of the top mons in the tier in my eyes.

With tera fairy, Mismagius becomes essentially Flutter Mane at Home, and even has things the broken uber thing would love to have, namely a ground immunity and Nasty Plot. NP also solves the problem always associated with Draining Kiss - its weak af - and the combination is stupidly strong. Changing ur type makes revenge killing with dark moves completely irrelevant AND heals you back to full, which is legit insane. While CB Weavile can still, like, ko you with ice move, killing dark is an amazing boon, and Krook's stab combo is irrelevant vs it. Also noteworthy, you end up getting a fighting resist off it, which doesn't seem great compared to an immunity, but it lets you take a CB CC from Flamigo from full, NP once, and then get it all back with Draining Kiss. Its honestly stupid how many times I ended up at full on a sweep, and completely changes the way I always used Mismagius and I don't hate it.

As added bonuses, Mismagius is amazing vs stack hazards, as it always was, due to levitate, so webs spikes and tspikes are irrelevant and its always at a perfect speed tier for those teams to really hate it. Taunt and Tbolt are, imo personal preferences, but with Taunt Umbreon is absolutely completely screwed vs you, without it it can twave or yawn which are both very annoying. so if that's something you really like on your team, I heavily recommend. Same goes for most blisseys, although killing that will... take a while.

That's it I think, but yeah most of those mons deserve more usage that I have seen, especially Mismagius, and you should use them! Except Veluza, please don't I mean its funny but God Jesus don't the funny wins are not worth it...

Last edited:
Haven't seen much sun being used or talked about, and I can see why. There is difficulty in slotting sun sweepers and multiple setters, seeing as we don't have Ninetails this time around, but just wanted to share some sets I've been using.
Prankster Sableye and Defog Scyther are setters:
Scovillain @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast
- Overheat
Scyther @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Close Combat
- Defog
- Sunny Day
Sableye @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sunny Day
- Recover
- Encore
- Knock Off

Scovillain:
- On Scovillain you could opt for Zen headbutt over Overheat to 3HKO or 2HKO Dragalge on switchin
- Tera Fairy on Scovillain is for Dragon types that would otherwise wall it's dual stab. (Tera Fairying on Altaria feels so good)
- Tera type can be baited though, but all it does is potentially waste a sun turn
- Fire types are a problem, such as Arcanine
- You COULD use tera ground, but trading the ability to kill Haxorus, Altaria, and some fighting types just to be able to OHKO Arcanine and Coalossol doesn't seem worth it to me. (Not Dragalge with 252 HP)

Scyther:
- Close Combat is very nice coverage for it

Sableye:
- Not really what I would call a good pokemon in RU, however gets the job done
- Prankster encore is amazing, and if needed, emergency prankster sun to outspeed a threat

Overall, Scovillain has high sweeping potential. There are a few pokemon able to take hits, such as Dragalge, the Blobs, Nacl, Arcanine, Rotom-Heat, Coalossol and Goodra (Tera Fairy doesn't OHKO even offensive Goodra), so by no means is this a broken sweeper, but it can do some serious damage.
I’ve had some success with 3 attacks + Growth on Scovillain. +2 Flamethrower in sun is strong enough to put most checks in 1-2 shot range, and Tera Blast Fairy becomes a roll to kill max hp AV Goodra if rocks are up.

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't know what's actually good or bad in the tier but Arboliva is the most fun mon I've used so far. Specs tera normal with hyper voice hits like a truck, and I'm wondering if it's worth considering incidental synergies with grassy terrain when building with it. Pretty bulky too, which helps it come in despite it being so slow.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
I don't know what's actually good or bad in the tier but Arboliva is the most fun mon I've used so far. Specs tera normal with hyper voice hits like a truck, and I'm wondering if it's worth considering incidental synergies with grassy terrain when building with it. Pretty bulky too, which helps it come in despite it being so slow.
Yeah I think Arboliva is very good as well, we toyed a bit with the idea of three attacks + eject button for more dedicated terrain and its honestly not the worst. Specs is my favourite set though, however I think this tier doesn't really need the added power to stab over a potentially better typing. Fairy is a classic but for good reasons since changing to it allows you to pick off so many mons that would come in to revenge and makes it a lot easier to manage a game without those threats in the way.

Ghost has potential too, spinblock, you deal with poison weakness, immune to fight over resist though not for Flamigo (you do however counter guts Heracross more effectively with the facade immunity). Ghost weakness is a massive bummer though since this mon tends to wall most of them. But yeah overall I think those are way better options than either of its stabs, as you really want to play into its bulk more than for something like Toxtricity or Lycanroc where your goal is more to just hit more things harder and quickly.

Just wondering, what are the actual existing Rapid Spin users in this tier? Because Tera Ghost/Silk Trap Spidops could actually serve as a pretty fun friend for Glimmet. That way you unlock the ultimate "menace to society" Trainer Class by puking up T-Spikes, Stealth Rock, Spikes, AND Sticky Web in just two turns or so. You either take a speed hit, help these two set up another layer of Toxic Spikes, or just get Circle Thrown outta the ring.

...I just realized this is for Singles RU, oops. Guess they still serve as fine enough switch-ins for one another due to their resistances though?

:ss/copperajah:
Elly (Copperajah) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt

CB Copperajah is absolutely insane. Not saying its broken, just its stupid in this current meta. It can bypass almost everything in the tier by the power of Sheer Force Iron Head and its other coverage. All of the meta threats, just gone. Not to mention its great defense, which can tank a lot of things you wouldnt expect.

252+ Atk Cloyster Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Copperajah: 168-198 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Copperajah Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 258-304 (107 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Copperajah Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 235-277 (80.2 - 94.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Copperajah: 183-216 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Copperajah Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxtricity: 500-590 (171.8 - 202.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Fighting Copperajah: 214-252 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Copperajah Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lycanroc-Dusk: 798-938 (274.2 - 322.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A +2 Lycanroc-Dusk :lycanroc-dusk: simply OHKOed my max def. Palossand :palossand: with Crunch. I don't know... The Couple Haxorus & dog might be too much for the tier... Running colbur would restrict too much its utility for other situations

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
:hariyama:
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Fake Out / Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam / Poison Jab / Earthquake

This mon is really a lifesaver with its old classic NU set. With all the nonsense on the Ladder with Tera types and crazy offense mons, Hariyama really stands out due to its reliability. It tanks hits, recovers it back with Drain Punch, and spreads Knock Off (a move which is very lacking in distribution). Fake Out is also really great in this meta to scout with all the cheese Strats going on. I think Steel is the best Tera-type so you can confuse Flying/Fairy/Psychic Pokemon and then you also get access to STAB Heavy Slam.

also Dudunsparce is really good

EDIT: Also who the hell thought Whiscash would ever turn into a hazard stack lead, thats so funny :quagchamppogsire:

:haxorus: :toxtricity: :lycanroc: are brainless top threats.
:flamigo: :gardevoir: are good splashable scarfers.
:Tauros-fire: is the ultimate bulky offense mon, seriously checks so much while being a threat.
:palossand: and :altaria: are legitimate defensive threats.
:arcanine: Banded extremekiller is my goto revenge killer i love it so much
I wanted to talk about a funny mon that reallly improved with tera and i found it to be decent on screen

:falinks:
Falinks @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Defiant is very useful because means tauros cant switch in, and good in general vs stray intim krook/arcanine, chilling waters and deters defog

Tera steel is super cheap to flip weaknesses like psychic, fairy and flying on the fly. If youre under screens try to bait weaker SE moves for policy activation

Cc and iron head is all you need, SD is mandatory because between screens, +1 defenses and predicted switches u have so many opportunities to boost. And u just sd up on passive mons like slowbro, palossand, bellibolt..etc

Of course has weaknesses like reliant on screens, slower than every scarfer..etc but its still fun nonetheless
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1768850998

Here sds and baits slowbro psyshock and proceed to win

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1768834456

No retreat > sd on whiscash leads to sweep

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1768835470

Proceed to retreat>sd>tera steel and win

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1768826428

Bonus arcanine clip putting in work

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1768847451
Everyone here puts some weight

Edit: also yea :sableye: got screens this gen. Its crazy how i didnt see it mentioned at all since prankster screens is so reliable AND hes a spin blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)