Project RU Player of the Week #4: DTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Spirit

Based on other Player of the Weeks Threads

Banner by Lax

DTC

Hi guys! Welcome to the fourth player of the week, this week we have DTC, a roomowner in the RU PS! room, moderator of the RU forums, and manager in RUPL. DTC is a very knowledgeable and experienced player of the metagame and holds many accomplishments regarding the tier, let's hop into the interview!
To start off the interview, when did you start competitive battling in RU, and how did you get into it?

I started playing ru back in bw, although i was much more of a nu player back then. I got involved in ru in early xy for a short amount of time and then i left. But a few months ago i saw that flygon + blastoise + diancie + venusaur were in ru and a lot of the annoying stuff was banned so i started playing ru more and now its my main tier.

How did you choose the name DTC?

fsr, i choose DragonTamerChris as an online username when i was like 10. Eventually i thought it was kinda silly so i just shortened it to DTC. DTC is a fun acronym name because you can be very creative w/ what it means as many users have done.

What is currently your favourite play style in RU?

Balance for sure, there's a lot of solid fat pkmn like alomomola / mega lix / registeel in the tier, and there's also a lot of p strong offensive pkmn like cb tyrant, lo medicham, and lo venusaur, balance is p easy to run too. semistall is also cool because a well built stall team is pretty consistent but harder to build.

What is your opinion on the Mega Steelix and Tyrantrum suspect recently announced?

i'm a pretty loud advocate for mega lix and ttum suspect as you might have seen in the ru forums / ru room. i think they both limit the viable teamstyles and pkmn pretty hard. cb tyrant in particular is rly hard to deal with for stall and scarf tyrant / mega lix pressure offense p hard. i would love to see a meta without both of them, and i can honestly see it being really solid with no other potentially broken mons.

How would you compare RU Ladder Battles and RU tournament battles?

i think during suspect tests the top end of the ladder is pretty strong, but tournament battles feature a noticeably higher level of skill, especially when theres no suspect going on.

How do you prep for RU tours such as RUPL or seasonal?

my records for both are poor, and i attribute that to sometimes not being fully comfortable with the teams i bring. you need to be comfortable with your team inside and out in a variety of situations. make sure you fully test and everything try to find a user or two that you can test with and help you out with teams it'll help a lot in prep.

Any Pokemon you find overrated in RU, any that you find underrated?

manectric and mega camel are overrated imo. manectric seems to be a really strong pokemon in theory, but in practice it falters vs a lot of things and it offers little defensive synergy. mega camel is a good mon but hard to fit on teams and usually checked well enough by bulky waters also the 252 speed spread that is getting kinda popular loses quite a bit of bulk which is annoying. as for underrated the most underrated is probably uxie and musharna, those mons can do rly cool things and are really bulky. CB tyrantrum is for some reason is underrated, also cb rhyperior is a god.

What RU players do you look up to the most?

theres a lot of players i look up to, but if i had to choose 2 itd be Arifeen / Spirit. Arifeen is a teambuilding maniac, dude builds so many different kind of teams and is a solid player to boot. Spirit on the other hand knows the metagame really really well and very rarely makes bad plays, although hes not as involved in the tour scene which is a shame.

Any advice for new players getting into RU?

there's a lot of dangerous threats in ru you need to account for. make sure your teams can deal with ground-types like mega lix, fighters like lee/virizion/medicham, dark-types like sneasel, psychic-types like sigilyph & meloetta, strong pkmn like tyrant, etc. dont be like me when i started out - i used teams with no ground resist and other bad holes. balance is the easiest playstyle to get into and theres a lot of strong frameworks to work off of it's better to adapt an existing framework than try to start something totally new when you're new to the tie but eventually as you learn the meta more you'll be able to think outside the box more also as i said earlier, find friends that are good that you can test and build with friends will make your experience more fun too.

How is rupl going?
i think we're doing well, even tho we've tied the past two weeks we're still second place. theres a lot of solid players on my team. ldm in particular is pullin throu quite nicely for a 4k pick our team channel is pretty active and we have Arifeen as teambuilding slave. i think we have a good shot at making finals and winning. i just feel personally responsible for our ties the first two week.if i didnt go 0-2 we coulda won.

Finally, is there a team you can post with your interview and give a brief explanation of how it works?

im saving strats for rupl so ill just give you a standard ass balance team thats hard to mess up with. alomo + registeel is also something i rly like but shake already gave u a team w/ that so.
Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Thanks again to DTC for taking the time to this interview, ask him any questions you have below, also leave recommendations for future users for POTW! :toast:

Last edited:

Any specific hopes for the next gen, like potential new Pokemon, improvements on old Pokemon (stat buffs, megas), etc?

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
smh literally stole all my opinions from me, especially the one about me being great.

what do you think of trick room in RU currently? how often are otr mons such as diancie and slowking considered when you teambuild, both as potential members and as threats?

free lord death man

Also do you have anything positive and eulogizing about the hottest playstyle that is Sticky Web Hyper Offense?
Not a fan of Sticky Web offense at all. =[ It has a lot of issues ranging from basically using 5 Pokemon, Defog Flygon, not having any defensive synergy whatsoever. Some Pokemon are really scary with Sticky Web support though, like Exploud. It's a fun playstyle but it's not necessarily something I would use seriously. It's also annoying that you have to use Timid Exploud to outspeed Sneasel when it's -1. (And no, we shouldn't free Shuckle....)

Any specific hopes for the next gen, like potential new Pokemon, improvements on old Pokemon (stat buffs, megas), etc?
  • Fairy weak to Bug (Fairy is too strong, Bug didn't need a nerf)
  • Water weak to Poison (Water is too good of a typing defensively and offensively)
  • Ice hit neutrally by rock
  • Knock Off BP reduced; it's too high impact of a move, even with Megas.
  • Scald BP reduced from 80 to 60. It shouldn't be used offensively on Pokemon like Keldeo, and you should actually be able to switch some specially bulky Fire-types into Scald or Substitute on Pokemon with Scald for more counterplay as well as more opportunity cost for using Scald. It'd still be a good move, but not gamebreaking. I don't think Scald is too bad rn in RU though, just Alomomola / Slowking can be kind of annoying; it's mostly other tiers where Scald is a problem.

smh literally stole all my opinions from me, especially the one about me being great.

what do you think of trick room in RU currently? how often are otr mons such as diancie and slowking considered when you teambuild, both as potential members and as threats?
I don't really consider OTR when teambuilding, but OTR Diancie and Slowking can be threats if used well.

What Pokémon do you want to drop from UU?
I would love Donphan because it's a Head Smash switchin that can Rapid Spin, and it has better stats than Sandslash. It also has a cool offensive movepool including moves like EQ, Knock Off, Ice Shard, Gunk Shot and Seed Bomb. It'd be a nice mon that wouldn't really be top tier, but a strong option for some teams.

I would also like Mandibuzz as it's a good Psychic-type / Venusaur answer, although stall might have some issues dealing with Mandibuzz because it has a fast Taunt.

Vaporeon would be nice but I don't really see it having much of an impact at all.

LOL building maniac when I cant build ladder teams for shit

Anyways what's your thoughts on Venusaur and Virizion?

Why do you choke your games?

Does being a global PS staff conflict with your contributions towards RU as a player? If yes, then how?
- Venusaur and Virizion are so good. Venusaur is a durable Pokemon that has a good defensive typing and is hard to switch into. A lot of Venusaur's answers also get crippled by Sleep Powder so even if the opposition have something like Registeel, Venusaur can still have an impact. Virizion is kinda weak, but it's really fast and checks a lot of annoying threats which makes it a great choice for many teams, and it's also a pretty reliable cleaner because of how easy it is to set up SD. Most teams will benefit a lot from using one of Venusaur or Virizion, or maybe even both. Tangrowth is p cool too.

I choke my games because I'm not a good player. While sometimes I can make really big plays that just win the match, I'm not consistent enough, and if you're not consistent, you're not good. It's okay though, I'm gonna train in the mountains and become a strong player in due time.

Sometimes being a global PS leader conflicts with my RU contributions, but not a great extent. Sometimes I have to address an issue on the server rather than build teams for RU or ladder or whatever, but usually it doesn't conflict. In fact, sometimes it helps as I have easy access to the programmers and such whenever something needs to be done.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
What cores do you tend to use a lot when you build? (like 2 or 3)

What Pokemon in the tier do you think still has some innovation to be discovered (whether it would be a slight change in EVs, moves, or even an item)

What cores do you tend to use a lot when you build? (like 2 or 3)

What Pokemon in the tier do you think still has some innovation to be discovered (whether it would be a slight change in EVs, moves, or even an item)
I like Registeel + Alomomola a lot, also Registeel + Slowking. Offensively, I really like Fighting + Dark-types, like Medicham and Drapion, Gurdurr and Sneasel, etc. (theres a lot you can put under here). Also Meloetta + anything.

Venusaur probably has some interesting variation that hasn't been explored, Uxie is a really cool Pokemon that can be used in many different ways, Flygon has a lot of variation already but there's probably more to mess around with there, Slowking too. There's still quite a bit that can be discovered imo, the meta isn't quite "figured out" yet, although it's settling down.

What mons in particular do you think would increase in viability and usage if m lix and tyrantrum are banned?
Escavalier, Garbodor, Mesprit, Aerodactyl, Aggron, fairies in general, Jolteon, Analytic Magneton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)