RU Analyses Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This thread's purpose is to provide a way for users to suggest changes or improvements to any currently uploaded RU analyses that will be seen in a public forum.

Do not make trivial posts lacking content. This thread is only for important analysis discussion and isn't the place for anything else.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Given this thread will very likely remain unused over 90% of the time, lets use this to message to mention analyses that have been completed (and for needed revamps in the future ofc).

Silvally-Dark, Frosmoth, Steelix, Gastrodon, Vileplume, Whimsicott, Cinccino, Indeedee-M, Raichu-Alola, Ninetales, Scrafty have been uploaded. Threads are being moved accordingly. Thank you very much everyone for their contributions!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So mavis teched an AV Snorlax that's designed to lure in and take out Snorlax's usual checks and after seeing it in action i think it's viable enough to be onsite. The set is below:

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Immunity / Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Darkest Lariat
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake / Heat Crash

Immunity stops Salazzle from being able to poison it, defensive investment stops Rhydon from 2HKOing with EQ and Passimian from OHKOing with CC. Seed Bomb destroys Rhydon, Gastrodon, and random Quagsire that might want to come in expecting the Curse set, and max attack Lariat destroys ghosts.

Outside of luring in these Pokemon to take them out it still serves its job as a bulky blanket check just fine from the matches i watched and i think it's effective and consistent enough to go onsite. Mavis said she'd be happy to write it up.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
free the king Chople Berry DD Scrafty

bulk lets u get 1 or 2 dds p easily, chople stops revenge attempts from the most common scarfers and/or lets u set up on stuff like viriz.

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Iron Head / Zen Headbutt

some replays of it sweeping in RUgged mountain games ive played recently:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1119570459
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1119441526
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1117625681

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Magnezone should have a choice scarf set.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Toxic / Tri Attack

ID + BP has serious issues with being dead weight in certain matchups. Scarf Mag maintains being an actual Pokemon even without anything to trap, and does a good job wearing down the likes of Cobalion/Metagross/Registeel by volting on them and grabbing momentum. On top of this it has a reasonable amount of defensive utility, potentially switching into Xurk/Thundy as well as checking Togekiss and Garde. It's efficient role compression and fits well especially on offense, as a partner for stuff like Linoone and Mimikyu (which are admittedly niche, but far from unviable). Really anything else that appreciates Cobalion gone can also benefit from Scarf Mag.

Hi all, just posting a suggested change to the current Arctozolt analyses.
:ss/arctozolt:
Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard / Low Kick / Substitute

This is quite similar to the current Arctozolt analyses in terms of move choices, however, I think this set makes a few optimizations over the current analyses set that make it worth considering. For starters, the EV spread is tweaked. This gives Arctozolt much more damage output on the physical side of things, while not missing out on any important KO's with its special attacks. This is because Hydro Pump is guaranteed to 2HKO Steelix after hail damage regardless of investment, and Freeze Dry will similarly OHKO its primary targets in Gastrodon and Seismitoad without the need for any investment. That being said, I chose to dump a few EVs into SpAtk anyways in order to give Hydro Pump and Freeze-Dry a bit more firepower. The Speed EVs remain the same; with enough speed to creep Scarf Heracross while Slush Rush is active. The main point of contention that I have with the original set is that it chooses to run Blizzard with a large amount of SpAtk investment in order to "2HKO Steelix with Blizzard after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes". This does not make any sense to me. For starters, as previously mentioned, Hydro Pump will already 2HKO Steelix after hail damage regardless of investment, so I do not see any utility in running this much SpAtk investment. Second, I think that the amount of Bolt Beak damage that Arctozolt sacrifices just to 2HKO Steelix in this extremely specific scenario is a little bit ridiculous, and overall, I believe it leads to a net loss in terms of functionality. Now, for the last move, I still think that Blizzard is fine, as it hits Grass-types such as Zarude, Vileplume, and Roserade that resist Bolt Beak for massive damage. However, Low Kick is also a 100% accurate option to 2HKO Steelix after a layer of Spikes and hail damage, in addition to OHKO'ing Stakataka after a layer of Spikes. Substitute is an option to ease prediction, but this wears down Arctozolt extremely quickly between Substitute damage and Life Orb recoil. Lastly, EviGaro suggested the idea of running Protect in order to block First Impression and scout against faster Choice Scarf users, which can have its utility depending on your team composition. I'm not exactly sure how the process of editing analyses works, but I just wanted to post this to at least have somebody consider it. Cheers.

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Xurkitree's overview was clearly designed for when Choice Scarf was the only set, meaning it doesn't look accurate now. Most notably, at the end it says:

"Xurkitree is mostly outclassed at everything except Choice Scarf cleaning, making it a very predictable Pokemon"

This doesn't really make sense when the first set doesn't use a Choice Scarf at all. Perhaps it would be better if it said something like Xurkitree's poor movepool makes it predictable?

A floor Mat

The Official Floor Mat of Rarley Used
Hey guys just wondering if I should include sash lead Slurpuff in my analysis, it can set sticky web and cripple an opponents pokemon effectively while maintaining momentum for its teammates so I think it's worth mentioning.

:xy/Slurpuff:
[SET]
Name: Sash Lead
Move 1: Sticky Web
Move 2: Yawn
Move 3: Endeavor / Magic Coat
Move 4: Misty Explosion
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Hasty
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

z: good idea, I see you've written the set already so this is fine

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I thought I should mention, as the QC team seems to have forgotten about it, that Magnezone still has its RU analysis up even though it is not in the tier anymore. As a badgeholder, I can delete it for you if you want, but didn't want to submit without asking in case there was some reason you kept it up.

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
I thought I should mention, as the QC team seems to have forgotten about it, that Magnezone still has its RU analysis up even though it is not in the tier anymore. As a badgeholder, I can delete it for you if you want, but didn't want to submit without asking in case there was some reason you kept it up.
We initially kept it up in consideration that it might drop the month after it rose up to OU. There was also the consideration that the final product that was in the on-site analysis was different from the one in the Smogon archives because we had made some adjustments through CMS.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll delete it after I've saved the analysis in a paste to preserve the changes that were made to it.

Hi again, something random I noticed while skimming through RU analyses out of boredom was that some mons still have a Light Clay dual screens set listed on analysis after Clay got banned. Obviously not saying this is like a horrible thing(i mean, come on, it was just banned on Saturday) but these pages might be worth taking a look at if somebody has free time since it isnt reflective of current meta anymore.

Just some suggestions:

:Suicune: Suicune could get a revamp because its currently analysis is extremely outdated, especially the Rest Talk set (e.g. has still Zarude mentions and mentions of either unviable or bad Pokemon like Machamp, Sigilyph, and Alolan Marowak while missing some currently stuff).

:Mimikyu:Mimikyu could also get a revamp. The first part of its analysis looks fine - it maybe need a small update like Quagsire as a Woodhammer target - but the team section is outdated with many Zarude and some Rhyperior mentions and misses stuff about how it fits on HO.

:Doublade: Doublade need to get some updates like removing Rhyperior and Zarude mentions, a new EV Spread, and maybe a mention of beeing a good Reuniclus check.

:Bronzong: Bronzong's analysis should get an update which replace the the first part of its team section and removes the Zarude and Rhyperior mentions.

:Milotic: Milotic's overview needs an update. The mention of bad or unviable mentions like Rhyperior, Zarude, and Indeedee should be removed or replace with something relevant. In addition, maybe add something about its competitions to other bulky Water-types.

:Steelix: Steelix analysis has a mention about using Body Press but I think it has no/ not much use, so it should either removed or move to OO.
"The last moveslot is fairly flexible. Body Press, for example, allows Steelix to 2HKO Zarude and OHKO Obstagoon."

:Politoed: Politoed's Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Alolan Marowak but this Pokemon is only C+ on the VR so Politoed might get a new EV Spread.

EDIT:

:Seismitoad: Seismitoad's analyse needs either a revamp or a big update by removing mentions of unviable or bad Pokemon such as Zarude, Rhyperior, Mienshao, and Entei. There is also no mention about competition to Gastrodon. The currently EV Spread for the defensive set has Speed EVs for Alolan Marowak (only C+ on VR) and Jolly Rhyperior. The Rain Sweeper set has Focus Blast as a main coverage move for Zarude which should replace with something like Sludge Bomb for Celebi

:Gardevoir: Gardevoir's analysis needs an update by removing the bigger Zarude, Rhyperior, and Mienshao mentions. The Choice Scarf set has a mention about Alolan Marowak and Rechless Mienshao as wallbreakers that appreciate its Healing Wish support. These examples should be replaced.

Last edited:
I have suggested many changes on the Discord but it seems it sometimes gets drowned with all the chatter so here I am.

:Bronzong: Bronzong's analysis should get an update which replace the the first part of its team section and removes the Zarude and Rhyperior mentions.
To add onto this mentions of walling Pokemon like some variants of especially Necrozma but also Celebi would be appropriate.

:Politoed: Politoed's Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Alolan Marowak but this Pokemon is only C+ on the VR so Politoed might get a new EV Spread.
"but 92 Speed EVs can be ran for Milotic, which Encore + Toxic variants can beat. " Isn't this speed creep and not aloud in analyses? also milotic runs speed for Golurk

:Umbreon: Umbreon I think add mention of running 180 Speed Evs for Adamant Golurk while also outspeeding Jolly Marowak-A.

:Slurpuff: Slurpuff
"In addition, its Fairy typing allows it to set up on common Pokemon such as Noivern, Umbreon, and Choice Scarf Heracross."
+6 252 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 254-299 (83 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Indeedee: Indeedee There is no mention of psychic terrain stopping First Impression from especially Durant but also Golisopod, I also think Choice Scarf should be the first set. A choice Specs Indeedee competes with Gardevoir with terrain as its advantage, having Terrain as an advantage is a lot better on a Choice Scarf set as you actually outspeed Durant and Scarf is just easier to fit.

:Necrozma: Necrozma Earth Power is a good option with Zarude gone crucially letting Necrozma hit Incineroar after Meteor Beam and it OHKOs Stakataka. Heat Wave is still a fine option to hit Bronzong, Celebi, Escavalier. Swords Dance Necrozma was used in this RULT game and I think it should be mentioned in OO with how good Psychic + Ground is at wallbreaking.

Some of the stuff I already recommended on Discord

:Cobalion: Cobalion Mention of Magnet Rise to OO or as a main option to the Swords dance set. Chandelure isn't too common so Magnet Rise can be very effective vs some of its usual checks like Flygon, Metagross, and gastrodon.

:Reuniclus: Reuniclus probably needs a revamp.
Reuniclus has no mention of Life Orb on its Calm Mind set even though its a great option. Also LO Thunder is a good option for Haze Milotic, and to slam Doublade pretty hard so I think it deserves mention. Roar Suicune is also mentioned in Phazing that should be removed as it isn't really relevant

"Spikes or Toxic Spikes support from Pokemon such as Roserade, Dragalge, and Galarian Weezing is greatly appreciated"

While tspikes support sounds good on paper it just isn't seen almost at all. This should defo not be the first sentence to teammates if it is kept.

"Knock Off from Pokemon such as Incineroar and Seismitoad can be a nuisance. Therefore, good Knock Off absorbers such as Cobalion, Galarian Weezing, and Rest variants of Suicune complement Reuniclus nicely"

This is for the CM set, you can very much afford to take Knock Off from Seismitoad without losing too much effectiveness, and rest suicune is kinda a terrible Knock Off absorber passive and concedes momentum.

I also don't like how Crobat one of AV Reuniclus's best teammates is not mentioned at all.

"Another set is a dual boosting set with Calm Mind and Acid Armor, with Stored Power as the only attack. With the right conditions, such as the opposing Dark-types and wallbreakers being removed, it can absolutely tear through teams. However, the prevalence of Dark- and Ghost-types such as Chandelure and Obstagoon..."

Chandelure and Obstagoon are poor mentions for "prevalent" Pokemon

:Sylveon: Sylveon
The analysis should mention Sylveon competing with Gardevoir and Togekiss, and usually being worse than them. It should emphasize its advantages over togekiss for its cleric set for example not being Electric or Rock weak. Incineroar is one of cleric sylveon's best teammates and defo deserves mention. and I think specs is bad gardevoir for the most part and should probably be removed

:Tornadus:Tornadus
"Nasty Plot Tornadus has a niche in RU as a strong wallbreaker on many archetypes, especially on rain and hyper offense teams"
Tornadus is really only seen on rain. The pivot set should probably be removed to.

:Kabutops: Kabutops
Probably deserves a proper analysis now that its on the weather VR??? Im still not sure as to how that works.

:Metagross: Metagross
Mention of Cosmic Power, Rest, Body Press in OO. Can be a pretty scary sweeper especially if your opponent relies on Gastrodon for Metagross.

Last edited:
Hello, first time here. Just wanted to give a moveset for Electivire. It would be:
-Cross Chop
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Puch

Nature: Jolly
Items: Air Ballon/ Assault Vault
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd

It's just an idea. Plus, in OU, it can survive to a Landorus-T's Earthquake and OHKO after, even with the Intimidate

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was going to put this on discord but didn't want it to get lost in discussion so I figured I'd post it here then link it there.
I think the current Quality Control team is a bit overwhealmed, as there are currently 15 analysis that are in the Quality Control stage (one of which is less then 2 months away from its 1 year anniversary) and only 6 quality control team members. Obviously this isn't all their fault, as doing quality checks is generally a thankless job which provides no monetary reward. However, I think that it would be ideal to speed up the pace at which analysis are being uploaded while being able to maintain the quality that comes with Quality Control. That's why I'm proposing that our analysis subforum follows a procedure akin to Monotype's which can be found here. This would be a good way to quickly get new blood into the RU QC team while ensuring that all stamps are going through the quality control team. While it would require some work from the QC team in the short term, in the long term I feel that dividing the work between more people would be beneficial and would allow more people to contribute to the RU analysis subforum.

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
i support the notion of having qc members simply check over am qc checks and then having those checks count towards the analysis' qc check tally.
1. having qc members check over am qc checks is a lot easier than writing a check themselves, reducing burnout
2. gets more people involved in the community easily. I know qc has been looking to boost its members for a while to push out the last chunk of analysis, but has had a hard time finding new participants. I think the monotype C&C process will get more people involved because newer checkers can contribute directly to analysis.
It is still debatable if RU would attract new checkers, though there has been a surge of new writers as of late. For me personally, I have lost a lot of interest in the analysis process as I don't enjoy writing them and I have found writing am qc checks pointless (though helpful) but in the procedure proposed I would definitely consider doing more checks again, knowing I am actually contributing instead of just throwing suggestions. SV releases in a month and a half so I think it would be in RU's best interest to allow am checks approved by qc members as 'real' qc checks as quickly as possible.

Though I also wanted to discuss what was going to happen next generation when it comes to the analysis process. Gen 8 saw a number of different metagames which caused problems as some writers didn't want to write knowing their work was going to be irrelevant within a few months. I am curious about the approach going into the new generation seeing how gen 9 will likely take a similar approach when it comes to dlc's, home, etc...

I also wanted, for at least the time being, some basic samples sets of the following pokemon to be uploaded:
Jellicent
Drapion
Sneasel
Ferroseed
Shiftry
Ninetails
Drednaw
Gigalith

It is uncertain if some of these will get an analysis by the end of the gen and i think there should be at least be a recommended set for them as these were just a few off the top of my head that did not have a set/analysis.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Monotype's procedure is what we already have in place, but less formal. There's just no contacting a QC member beforehand with your amQC check. If you write an amQC check with up-to-par quality then someone on the QC team will just stamp it, credit you, and call it a day. To be a candidate for becoming a QC member is simply being a knowledgable player with an interest in C&C. To show the former you can do that through your analysis writing if you aren't already a well-known and accomplished player in the community. And don't be shy about it, you can tell us that you're interested in joining the team. For the sample sets, I'll go and do those now that I've (finally) gotten around to obtaining my SCM badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)