Draft Rock-types article draft

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rock-types in BBP!

When comparing BBP to the core handheld series (eg. Pokemon Sun/Moon), there are major winners, or losers, out of the differences in the game mechanics. In this article we will briefly look at what some winners in BBP – Rock-type Pokemon!

Covered in our previous article, the normalized stat distribution and battling calculations in BBP results in Rock-types leveraging far better off their bulk. Instead of being outsped and KO’ed before landing a hit, prominent Rock-types in the game can now take a good beating and dish back the same! Despite most Rock-types still somewhat lacking in Special Defense, Abilities like Sturdy and Solid Rock help mitigate those downfalls and often provide an advantage overlooked by an unprepared opponent.
Speaking of Abilities, have you ever run into a “dang I wish I can have both Abilities on this one Pokemon” moments? You’ll have that wish coming true in BBP! Rock-types pack many useful Abilities that interact directly, providing valuable increases in bulk and power to make a difference in battle.

Finally, a mechanics interaction unique to BBP’s Rock-types, lie in their STAB-unique mechanics. Rock-types using non-attacking moves that solely boosts Defense / Special Defense stats, such as Barrier, Iron Defense, and Acid Armor, can do so at higher Priority, the way Quick Attack works! Most of those moves have properties unique to BBP as well, so Rock-type users that find themselves in a specific disadvantage can overcome them and regain momentum in battle.

So, come join BBP and start raising a Cranidos or Larvitar of your own today! Within a week of work, you will see a strong Rampardos or Tyranitar accompanying you in your BBP adventures, taking on greater challenges here!

Last edited:

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Subject: Rock-types in BBP

Writing strategy: Linking to previous article introducing BBP, and provide elementary knowledge to promote BBP as a game.

To-do: Peer review, actually linking to that introductory article.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Aside from the first sentence I talked about in Discord, I think you should have spotlighted one, maybe two efficient Rock-types in BBP, like Tyrantrum or Rampardos, to better showcase in which ways they are good. Fleshing out the "Ability synergy" part would be interesting as well.
Also don't forget you can use formatting to emphasize specific words or notions in your text!

In addition to what TMan87 said, here are some small grammar changes having to do with singular and plural words:
  • Covered in our previous article, the normalized stat distribution and battling calculations in BBP result in Rock-types leveraging far better off their bulk.
  • Speaking of Abilities, have you ever run into “dang I wish I can have both Abilities on this one Pokemon” moments? (Remove the "a" before "dang")
  • Finally, a mechanics interaction unique to BBP’s Rock-types lies in their STAB-unique mechanics. (Remove the comma after "Rock-types")

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Rock-types in BBP!

When comparing BBP to the core handheld series (eg. Pokemon Sun/Moon), there are major winners, or losers, out of the differences in the game mechanics. In this article we will briefly look at some winners in BBP – Rock-type Pokemon!

Covered in our previous article, the normalized stat distribution and battling calculations in BBP result in Rock-types leveraging far better off their bulk. Instead of being outsped and KO’ed before landing a hit, prominent Rock-types in the game can now take a good beating and dish back the same! Despite most Rock-types still somewhat lacking in Special Defense, Abilities like Sturdy and Solid Rock help mitigate those downfalls and often provide an advantage overlooked by an unprepared opponent.

Speaking of Abilities, have you ever run into “dang I wish I can have both Abilities on this one Pokemon” moments? You’ll have that wish coming true in BBP! Rock-types pack many useful Abilities that interact directly, providing valuable increases in bulk and power to make a difference in battle.

Take Gigalith, for example - it has above-average stat distribution in the Physical spectrum, and below-average in Special. But with Sand Stream as one of its Abilities, Gigalith uses the weather to patch up its Special Defense, a mechanic retained from the in-cartridge mechanics core games. Coupled with Sturdy, Gigalith suddenly stacks up an impressively effective bulk against both Physical and Special damaging attacks! Not to mention Sand Force directly benefits from Sand Stream, granting more oomph to Gigalith's own heavyweight-worthy blows. A full package of Abilities and STAB effects, perfectly interact to elevate Gigalith's status as a self-sustaining Rock-type attacker.

Finally, a mechanics interaction unique to BBP’s Rock-types lies in their STAB-unique mechanics. Rock-types using non-attacking moves that solely boosts Defense / Special Defense stats, such as Barrier, Iron Defense, and Acid Armor, can do so at higher Priority, the way Quick Attack works! Most of those moves have properties unique to BBP as well, so Rock-type users that find themselves in a specific disadvantage can overcome them and regain momentum in battle.

So, come join BBP and start raising a Roggenrola or Larvitar of your own today! Within a week of work, you will see a strong Rampardos or Tyranitar accompanying you in your BBP adventures, taking on greater challenges here!

Last edited:

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Added a paragraph making an example in Gigalith, and the minor grammar changes suggested, but I still couldn't find the original BBP article

:<

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"In this article we will briefly look at what some winners in BBP "
I think something is missing there.

Other than that, I find this version pretty good! Gigalith really shines as an example.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Yeah I should just removed the "what" there. Fixed in post #5.

EDIT: Also made minor changes in the Gigalith paragraph.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Okay finally found the Flying Press article and hyperlinked it! This should be considered a finished draft ready for GC/QC.

"Coupled with Sturdy, Gigalith suddenly stacks up an impressively effective bulk against both Physical and Special damaging attacks!"
"Finally, a mechanics interaction unique to BBP’s Rock-types lies in their STAB-unique mechanics." (remove the comma after "Rock-types")
Also, I'm assuming you're going to delete the crossed-out section?

Other than that, looks good! Fix and approved. Also, if you could post a link to the draft in the Editor's Desk thread, that'd be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)