Gen 8 Returning player's Gen 8 OU team

Hello! I've recently restarted pokemon, espessially with an interest in PS, and i have been trying to create a team which would be competitively viable, but still composed of pokemon i somewhat enjoy. I've had some success with the team, but i have also discovered a lot of weaknesses. I have been struggeling espessialy with rock/ground types. There has also been some problems with toxic/wish-stall teams, where my team simply can't beat the strat.

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Band
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Weather Ball
- Moonblast
- Extrasensory

Ninetales is my main starting pokemon seeing at it does well against stealth rock set-up. The combination of snow warning with weather ball and blizzard also makes it able do inflict quite strong damage from the begining, which helps in stopping the opponents set-up. Ninetales typing also makes it very good against some commonly used dragon-types.

Raikou @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunder
- Extrasensory
- Aura Sphere

Raikou is a tough case. It honestly kinda sucks, and i really wanna switch it out. I just really cant think of another lightning type with a coverage move like scald. I also am considering completly reworking the raikou, but keeping the 'mon itself.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 172 HP / 168 Atk / 168 SpA
Brave Nature
- Bubble Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Poltergeist
- Fire Punch

Marowak is a main player on my team, offering a lot of coverage on its moveset. It handles opposing switch-ins well, but can also be a viable on switch in against electric types. I have been runing rock head on it by accident, but i am changing this to lightning rod for that electric immunity.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Claw
- Foul Play
- Iron Head

Bisharp is a pokemon i've been really struggling with, but that might just be the consequense of me not playing pokemon in a long time, and therefore having som bad switch-ins. When i get a good switch in bisharp often is capable of doing some damage, but its typing makes it a "easy" kill seeing as super-effective types are common. This is a pokemon i am considering switching out in its enterity.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Stone Edge

Garchomp is a great pokemon for physical sweepers. It usually survives some attacks, and deals damage through moves, but also by rocky helmet and rough skin. I like the garchomp with rough skin and rocky helmet, but i think the moveset needs a serious overhaul.

Volcanion @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Steam Eruption

The volcanion is either a hero or a zero. Sometimes it really pulls trough with steam eruption and flamethrower, but it is sort of a "glass canon". It easily falls to a ground move, and if it is outsped there is almost always no way to counter this. It does well against slower pokemon though, seeing as it hits quite hard. It also brings the team some much needed coverage.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Welcome to Smogon! You have the makings of a solid team, but a lot of the sets are weird. To start:

-Alolan Ninetales can be good in OU, but as an Aurora Veil setter rather than an attacker. Focus Band is also not a good item. Here’s the standard set:

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail
- Encore

Aurora Veil is best on offense-based teams, while this team is more bulky offense/balance. It's fine as is but if you want you could swap it out for something like Weavile that shares a positive matchup against Rocks setters Lando, Garchomp, and (with Low Kick) Tyranitar.

-Raikou is interesting but I'm not sure it holds much merit compared to Tapu Koko. Tapu Koko lacks coverage for Lando and a few others (although Dazzling Gleam does a decent amount of damage to neutral targets) but has stronger Electric moves thanks to Electric Surge, a better typing, a pivot move in U-Turn, and most importantly recovery. Here's the standard set:

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

-Marowak-A is only good on Trick Room teams, which yours is not. You currently have no hazard control so we'll fit in a Defogger here. Tornadus-T fits into this team very well by providing a Ground immunity (which is sorely needed as half your original team is weak to Ground) and some more offensive presence. Here's the standard set:

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

-Bisharp is not in a great spot in the meta. Defiant is good but it struggles to make progress and lacks much defensive presence as well. Here is where we'll accomplish 2 things: get a Stealth Rock setter and a check to Dragapult and Blacephalon. A Ghost resist (that isn't weak to Fire) is important on most teams because of these 2 and Tyranitar is the best one. It also can deal with Weavile that lack Low Kick. Here's the standard set:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

-Garchomp is good but it works best with Swords Dance. You lack a strong wallbreaker so SD Garchomp will improve your matchup into many bulky teams. It also really doesn't need all the coverage you've given it. Here's the standard set:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Scale Shot

-Volcanion's pretty good, just give it your choice of Heavy-Duty Boots or Choice Specs (and maybe some Speed EVs) and you're good to go.

Amstan

beebadoobea
is a Tiering Contributor
https://pokepast.es/c0fdc37e01933f7e new paste

I wasn't exactly sure what this team was aiming for or what you were trying to build around, so I kind of just made a team that should work in general and decently easy to pick up.

First I made some set changes:

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Encore
- Pain Split
I changed ninetales to a hail setter as will be explained later. Focus band is generally a really shit item because sash exists and ninetales doesn't rlly need sash. Veil allows you to bring in volcanion, arctozolt and weavile without taking too much damage.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Beat Up
Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
Either one of these weavile sets will work and it will help by providing a ghost resist and also being able to check garchomp, dragonite, and low hp rillaboom. Banded weavile can help you chunk melm and help arctozolt clean late game and sd weavile can clean after arctozolt dies. This replaces bisharp as bisharp did not really fit on this team.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press/Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
This was added in order to provide hazard control and a temporary stop to scarf kartana. Corv blanket checks most physical attackers and also provides a lele switchin. Body Press and brave bird are both runnable so it really is personal preferance.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
This chomp set was chosen to set up rocks and also improve the defensive core. Toxtect stops sweepers in their tracks and rocks helps chip shit for arctozolt.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
Volcanion was changed to specs because it hits like a truck and helps weavile and arctozolt break and clean up. Mystic water is not a good item because it doesn't boost the power of its other moves but still takes rocks damage.
Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze-Dry/Substitute
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Low Kick
Arctozolt replaces raikou as the breaker/late game cleaner of the team. Bolt beak and blizzard provide great neutral coverage and decent power, Low Kick chips ferro, and sub can be used to ease prediction. Freeze dry can also be used but its also personal preference.

Good luck on building and laddering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)