Removing the "egg rule"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
umbarsc, read the second part of your quote.

"Pokémon caught in the wild can be entered as well"

the pokewalker is, to my understanding, the same thing as catching something from the wild. you can't just pick and choose which points you look at, since the second part is the damning evidence in this case. if we could play with, for example, a self-destruct munchlax in the original little cup (impossible i know, but think hypothetically) why shouldn't we be able to play with it in our little cup, which is based off of the original little cup?

if anything, changing this rule emphasizes consistency, since the rule that we have in place now actually limits the pokemon that could be entered (again, theoretically) in the original little cup.

Remember the Evolution rule argument? That's when we all decided that "we shouldn't change a rule, even for a competitive reason". If we change this rule....well, I'll let you fill in the blanks.

Why risk going down the rule changing path for no reason? That's my main opposition to this. Not only did we state that before, even when there was a competitive reason to alter the rules, that we shouldn't alter them, but the fact that there is no competitive reason to change this rule raises the question: "why change it?". If it doesn't do anything, so be it. It does no harm, and only harm could come from changing a rule when we have no valid reason to do so.

Anyway, this is my last attempt at pointing out the hypocrisy of changing this rule. If it hasn't hit people now it won't later -_-.

At least if this rule is removed, the Rotom thread should definitely be re-opened.
So, lets just hypothetically say Bubble Squirtle was accidentally banned long ago and nobody noticed it till today. By your logic there is no point in removing the ban because the ban doesn't effect the metagame at all, even though the ban is completely pointless. Makes sense I guess. But where do you draw the line on what makes something useless. Bubblebeam? Surf? What if the pokemon in question was Murkrow?

So, lets just hypothetically say Bubble Squirtle was accidentally banned long ago and nobody noticed it till today. By your logic there is no point in removing the ban because the ban doesn't effect the metagame at all, even though the ban is completely pointless. Makes sense I guess. But where do you draw the line on what makes something useless. Bubblebeam? Surf? What if the pokemon in question was Murkrow?
I'm trying to stay out of this argument since the majority voiced their opinion and whatever, but when there are arguments such as this I cannot help but respond.

Your hypothetical situation does not apply to this situation at hand. It would have made sense if "Bubble Squirtle is not obtainable when hatched from an egg, and now we want to remove this rule", because that applies. Your example involves banning. This isn't a change in the basic rules of Little Cup, this is a banning of a specific Pokemon.

Selfdestruct Munchlax is not "banned". It is "disallowed" for not fitting the rule description of Little Cup because of an uncompetitive technicality. This is the same as Rotom, for example. We have decided that uncompetitive technicalities should remain even at the cost of a competitive advantage previously, so why go against that now? (Eric, yes I know you think it simplifies the metagame and I'll agree to disagree, this post is aimed at the person responding to my post)

My argument is that we should not change the rules of little cup for little to no reason when we have previously decided that the rules "should not be changed". I and many others would find it hypocritical to do so. We can't just change one rule if we aren't willing to consider changing others. Well we can, but we can't do it without being hypocritical.

umbarsc said:
It's cool if you're a LC purist and think that we ought not change any rules, and it's cool if you think it's ok to change a couple dumb rules while still being true to the "spirit" of LC, but you can't be both. Let's just have a little consistency.
Quoted for truth.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Given that this rule is useless competitively, and has extremely little support (including umbarsc's own quote!), and the agreement of all LC policymakers, the rule is officially removed from the ruleset.

Also, Rotom discussion is over. It's been discussed to death, and it's not happening. Don't derail any more threads with it.

EDIT: Here is the official stance on this rule.

- This rule has no competitive effect due to Pomeg Glitch allowing fully-evolved Pokemon to hatch from eggs.
- With no effect, the rule has no use.
- Less rules > more rules.
- This rule is also not in ANY of Nintendo's LC rulesets.

Therefore, removing a rule with zero effect from the ruleset is optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)