Implemented Removing Participant Cap in Official Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment our official tournaments usually have scaling fixed tournament caps. While this ensures that everybody gets an opponent during round one it always leaves people who were slower to sign up unable to attend these tournaments. My best judgement tells me that this is a good number of magnitudes worse than leaving some players with a free win during round one when the alternative is that these players have to wait one whole year to play in said tournament. Even when viewing the current status quo through a competitive lens, it isn't clear to me that not granting certain lucky participants one win is preferable to preventing potential winners/strong participants from entering the arena. These tournaments are many rounds long, and while it would be easier to not have to fight for your win round 1, the better players will prevail in the end. This is a mentality many players have already adopted due to the nature of the game we play. I beg you to reconsider the current rules as they do nothing but cannibalizing the already finite number of players.

To give a recent example, NU Cup had to cut about 1/4 of it's players over giving 16 byes which is a bit of a disgrace.

Last edited:
I hope this is implemented before round 2 of NU Open. The same thing has now happened in PU Open.

The idea that someone can miss out on participating in playoffs because they weren’t allowed to play in round 1 due to a scaling tournament cap seems rather antiquated. I understand more people may be given the “free” 1 point, but at the end of the day, that won’t make a different in the long-term as Charmflash said, the better players will win in the end.

Rather than tell Tournament Hosts to aggressively sub players out, the idea should be to promote hosts further to fill these spots. Smogon has grown significantly in the past decade and rules like this should be modernized for the current player base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)