[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I thought there was a single shiny celebi that was considered legitimate by smogon back in d/p days. I think I still have it. I can find the ot and info if you want.
Celebi cannot be legally shiny.

Edit: Well, not from Generation 3 onwards.

How did that jirachi appear if Generation 3 wonder card style events cannot be RNG manipulated at all? By luck?
Moreso RNG manipulation for 3rd gen events is near impossible and Slashmolder obtained the jirachi through some fairly difficult RNG research. However, for all practical purposes, 3rd gen event RNG manipulation is impossible and unless you can tie the RNG to a well known person capable of doing this, your Pokemon is almost certainly hacked.

Slashmolder

'Ello Governor
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
The RNG for Pokemon Channel's Jirachi is seeded to the nearest nanosecond. In all cases and purposes any "good" 3rd gen Jirachi is hacked.
This Jirachi (as well as these two) were obtained using an Ocarina code which edited the RNG seed for me. Which according to Smogon's rules is not legal for trade threads since a code was used to edit the RNG state.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right place to post this,
but can a Shiny Mew be obtained in any type of poke ball ?
A shiny mew, in addition to having to be japanese, also needs to have been caught in a Pokeball available in Gen 3. No Dusk Balls, Quick Balls, Cherish, Dream, or Apricot Balls.

A shiny mew, in addition to having to be japanese, also needs to have been caught in a Pokeball available in Gen 3. No Dusk Balls, Quick Balls, Cherish, Dream, or Apricot Balls.
Alright, thanks for the clarification !
My friend got one in a Dive ball, so she was a bit skeptical at first, but I guess it's all good !

Hey guys, what do you reckon on this manaphy? Seemed a little fishy to me..

lvl 100, in a pokeball, 31 all ivs, modest, 5/24/2013, apparently arrived at lvl 10, fateful encounter. Sinnoh. Alert to sounds. . Ot: ash, id: 32833.

Should it not say hatched? (From egg from pokemon ranger) or if its a non hatched event, would it not be in a different ball, not a pokeball? Aint checked for a ribbon yet. .

Agonist

Don't see it on Pokecheck, but that doesn't mean much. I don't think they say whether they're hatched or not when you shift them over, just that it traveled a long way or whatever.

I personally wouldn't trust it, but it appears legal, so it's up to you.

Last edited:
Moreso RNG manipulation for 3rd gen events is near impossible and Slashmolder obtained the jirachi through some fairly difficult RNG research. However, for all practical purposes, 3rd gen event RNG manipulation is impossible and unless you can tie the RNG to a well known person capable of doing this, your Pokemon is almost certainly hacked.

Careful... what you're saying is that unless the person is know here on smogon its impossible for them to RNG... Smogon is not the center of the pokemon universe.

Agonist

Careful... what you're saying is that unless the person is know here on smogon its impossible for them to RNG... Smogon is not the center of the pokemon universe.
That's not what he said. He's saying that unless you can tie it to a known Generation 3 RNG abuser, it shouldn't be trustworthy. It's not Smogon's fault that most of those said people happen to be from Smogon.

Don't see it on Pokecheck, but that doesn't mean much. I don't think they say whether they're hatched or not when you shift them over, just that it traveled a long way or whatever.

I personally wouldn't trust it, but it appears legal, so it's up to you.
It doesn't say anything about having traveled or that its fron a faraway place. Got it in 5th gen and havent tried to transfer via pokebank yet. But it doesnt seem right and the guy here ob smogon is on the blacklist already for having traded hacked pokemon before... i dont want to add to that if this one is indeed legit though.

Agonist

It doesn't say anything about having traveled or that its fron a faraway place. Got it in 5th gen and havent tried to transfer via pokebank yet. But it doesnt seem right and the guy here ob smogon is on the blacklist already for having traded hacked pokemon before... i dont want to add to that if this one is indeed legit though.
Upload it to Pokecheck then, to see what the legality analysis says. Based off what you said, though, I'd say it's pretty safe to say it's hacked.

Also, there isn't any way to check for legitimacy short of getting it yourself, or watching the other person obtain it. The best you can do is check legality.

Im sorry, i guess you know some rng abusers that do not frequent smogon that much. My bad. Also, "your Pokemon is almost certainly hacked." means that the OT didnt\could not rng. Essentially its a double standard. Know rng abusers dont create fake pokemos, and unknown people do...

I know what he meant, but that was not what i read.

Maybe a better choice of words would have been something like "be extremely weary of any pokemon not created by a known rng abuser", but what do i know? English is not even my second language... Also i have a zygarde and a xerneas that are 31 all over, no fakes, no rng. Its possible to soft reset those 3gen pokemons right?

Also, now that im here and as i dont want to go off topic. In BW2 what is and inst possible to RNG? At first i thought that BW2 was impossible to rng, now ppl say only eggs are impossible. What is and isnt possible to do in a 3ds with BW2?

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Im sorry, i guess you know some rng abusers that do not frequent smogon that much. My bad. Also, "your Pokemon is almost certainly hacked." means that the OT didnt\could not rng. Essentially its a double standard. Know rng abusers dont create fake pokemos, and unknown people do...

I know what he meant, but that was not what i read.

Maybe a better choice of words would have been something like "be extremely weary of any pokemon not created by a known rng abuser", but what do i know? English is not even my second language... Also i have a zygarde and a xerneas that are 31 all over, no fakes, no rng. Its possible to soft reset those 3gen pokemons right?

Also, now that im here and as i dont want to go off topic. In BW2 what is and inst possible to RNG? At first i thought that BW2 was impossible to rng, now ppl say only eggs are impossible. What is and isnt possible to do in a 3ds with BW2?
No, not really . All Gen 6 Legendaries are forced to have 3, 31's at a minimum. Gen 6 is extremely easy to get multiple 31 IV's in relatively short time even in the case of a few wild captures (Undiscovered group 'baby' Pokemon who can't breed).

It's possible to RNG eggs in B/W2 but there's very little reason to when the same thing can be done in B/W 1 with less effort. The wording of what he wrote was fine, chances are most of the "known RNG abusers" stem from here or known from someone here to begin with. It's not exclusive to Smogon only.

Edit: The rest of B/W2 you can RNG just fine.

No, not really . All Gen 6 Legendaries are forced to have 3, 31's at a minimum. Gen 6 is extremely easy to get multiple 31 IV's in relatively short time even in the case of a few wild captures (Undiscovered group 'baby' Pokemon who can't breed).

It's possible to RNG eggs in B/W2 but there's very little reason to when the same thing can be done in B/W 1 with less effort. The wording of what he wrote was fine, chances are most of the "known RNG abusers" stem from here or known from someone here to begin with. It's not exclusive to Smogon only.

Edit: The rest of B/W2 you can RNG just fine.

Nice! I only have access to X right now and have an offer on a 2nd hand B2. So, i wanted to know if it was possible to do it before getting the game. I guess at least the legends i can learn to rng. The eggs are not that important, breed is easy in X, but for its always nice for some pokemons that need tutor moves.

If i'm not mistaken RNGing a pokemon involves changing the date/time of your ds. In that case, are pokemons with weird met/hatched date (like date before the game is released, or like 40 years in the future) considered legit ?

Last edited:

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If i'm not mistaken RNGing a pokemon involves changing the date/time of your ds. In that care, are pokemons with weird met/hatched date (like date before the game is released, or like 40 years in the future) considered legit ?
Yes he met/hatch date (barring a few circumstances) aren't any real indication of legality. I mean, sometimes you have to go a hundred years in the future for some RNG's. Even non-RNG'd captures have that sometimes when people are lazy as hell and just leave the factory settings on DS or change the time for in-game events.

Agonist

If i'm not mistaken RNGing a pokemon involves changing the date/time of your ds. In that care, are pokemons with weird met/hatched date (like date before the game is released, or like 40 years in the future) considered legit ?
Date is completely irrelevant, since you can easily change the clock on your DS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)