Metagame Re-Evolution

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Approved by in the hills and drampa's grandpa
(Banner by me!)
Re-Evolution

reevo banner.png
We all know about Evolution, the Pokémon experiences a change that follows no rules. It may become faster or slower, better or worse at taking hits, become much stronger or stay almost the same, but what would happen if a Pokémon experienced this change but with twice the power?
The main rule:
  • Pokémon gain base stats equal to the difference with their previous stage.

Clauses: Standard OMs (Obtainable, Team Preview, Species Clause, Nickname Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Endless Battle Clause, HP Percentage Mod, Cancel Mod, Overflow Stat Mod), Sleep Moves Clause, Terastal Clause
Pokémon:
  • :basculegion:Basculegion-Male
  • :baxcalibur:Baxcalibur
  • :gholdengo:Gholdengo
  • :Gyarados:Gyarados
  • :houndstone:Houndstone
  • :lunala:Lunala
  • :milotic:Milotic
  • :solgaleo:Solgaleo
  • :urshifu:Urshifu-Single-Strike
Moves:
  • :eevee:Baton Pass
Abilities:
  • :diglett:Arena Trap
  • :snorunt:Moody
  • :gothita:Shadow Tag
Items:
  • :kings-rock:King's Rock
  • :light clay:Light Clay
  • :razor fang:Razor Fang
Watchlist:
Espathra
Annihilape
Gallade

Last Respects

Mechanics Interactions and common questions:
  • Only the previous stage is used to calculate the stats gained, Ex: Ludicolo gain 140 BST upon evolving from Lombre, it doesn't gain the difference it has with Lotad.
re ludicolo.png

• :Raichu-Alola: For a Pokémon to count as the evolution of another it has to be able to evolve into it in the main line games, Melmetal can't evolve from Meltan and isn't coded as it's evolution in any main line game, meanwhile Raichu-Alola, despite being unable to evolve from Pikachu in Scarlet & Violet, was able to do so in a previous generation and is therefore boosted.
  • :ursaluna-bloodmoon: Some special formes can't evolve from a previous stage, because of how they were distributed ingame and how they are coded to work, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon, Vivillon-Pokeball and Greninja with Battle Bond are like this and don't receive any stat changes, unlike their equivalents.
  • :Cloyster: Base stats cap at 1 and 255.
  • :Avalugg: Because that the Overflow Stat Mod was implemented, any Pokémon's actual stats cap at 654, so be careful to not waste EVs trying to get higher than that.
  • :Palafin: Battle only forms take the new stats from the base form and then receive their regular stats changes, Ex: For Palafin, do the math for base (130/95/104/61/84/125) then add the corresponding stat changes for the Hero forme (130/185/129/114/109/125).
Strategy:
This metagame gives major boosts to most Pokémon that are part of an evolution line, introducing all kinds of behemoths with power comparable to and often surpassing the cover legendaries. They should be able to balance each other out enough for different kinds of play styles to exist, from full stall to hyper offense.

Increased Viability:
:noivern: :tsareena: :armarouge: :frosmoth: Pokémon with really weak pre-evolutions get massive boosts, many like Tsareena, Frosmoth and Armarouge get around 200 points, this leave them at around 700 BST, and very few like Noivern can get over 800 BST.

:dragonite: :tyranitar: :garchomp: :hydreigon: Some already strong Pokémon don't need huge boosts to keep up with the crazy powercreep of this tier, thanks to already high stats all the pseudo-legendaries are now stronger than cover legendaries!

:ursaring: :bisharp: :chansey: :magneton: Some middle stage Pokémon receive a bigger bonus than their evolutions, and thanks to Eviolite their defensive power becomes absurd, so keep in mind those bulky NFE Pokémon like Chansey and those who used to be fully evolved like Ursaring, Bisharp and Magneton.

Decreased Viability:
:hawlucha: :torkoal: :klefki: :mimikyu: If you aren't a member of an evolution line, then there is nothing I can do for you, most Pokémon without a pre-evolution will have problems trying to keep up with the EXTREME powercreep.

:medicham: :gengar: :weavile: :scizor: Some Pokémon don't change much upon evolving, some like Medicham and Gengar have really strong pre-evolutions so the boost they receive isn't that big, this also happens a lot with cross-gen evolutions, for example Weavile only gets a minor boost upon evolving and Scizor stay with the same BST it has in standard play as it gains as much as it loses.

Resources:
Council:

:dewott:KaenSoul (leader)
:quagsire:Cratersmash
:golisopod:rarre
:leafeon:Gimmickyasitgets

Documents:
Spreadsheet with the stats of all Scarlet and Violet Pokémon
Spreadsheet with the Re-Evolution statlist for gens 1-8 by Clastia
Check stats quickly with the command /reevo [pokemon] on the main server!
Gen 8 Thread

Chall code /challenge gen9anythinggoes @@@ Re-Evolution Mod, Sleep Moves Clause, Standard OMs, Terastal Clause, -Gyarados, -Houndstone, -Gholdengo, -Urshifu-base, -Basculegion-base, -Milotic, -Lunala, -Solgaleo, -Baxcalibur, -Kings Rock, -Razor Fang, -Light Clay, -Baton Pass, -Arena trap, -Moody, -Shadow Tag

Tour code /tour new gen9anythinggoes,elim,,,[Gen 9] Re-Evolution
/tour rules Re-Evolution Mod, Sleep Moves Clause, Standard OMs, Terastal Clause, -Gyarados, -Houndstone, -Gholdengo, -Urshifu-base, -Basculegion-base, -Milotic, -Lunala, -Solgaleo, -Baxcalibur, -Kings Rock, -Razor Fang, -Light Clay, -Baton Pass, -Arena trap, -Moody, -Shadow Tag

Last edited:

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Viability List:

High (easy to fit in a team and to use):
:annihilape: Annihilape
:armarouge: Armarouge
:ceruledge: Ceruledge
:corviknight: Corviknight
:clodsire: Clodsire
:espathra: Espathra
:florges: Florges
:gallade: Gallade
:garchomp: Garchomp
:garganacl: Garganacl
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:hydreigon: Hydreigon
:lilligant-hisui: Lilligant-Hisui
:lokix: Lokix
:magneton: Magneton
:noivern: Noivern (if you use specs at least run switcheroo, pivot and stallbreaker are the good sets)
:palafin-hero: Palafin
:quagsire: Quagsire
:samurott-hisui: Samurott-Hisui
:sceptile: Sceptile (only use for Shed Tail)
:sinistcha: Sinistcha
:slowking-galar: Slowking-Galar
:sylveon: Sylveon
:toxapex: Toxapex
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:umbreon: Umbreon
:urshifu-rapid-strike: Urshifu-Rapid-Strike
:vaporeon: Vaporeon
:volcarona: Volcarona

Mid (work well in general with some support):
:azumarill: Azumarill
:barraskewda: Barraskewda
:basculegion-f: Basculegion-F
:bellibolt: Bellibolt
:bisharp: Bisharp
:braviary-hisui: Braviary-Hisui
:breloom: Breloom
:calyrex-shadow: Calyrex-Shadow
:cetitan: Cetitan
:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:clefable: Clefable
:cloyster: Cloyster
:dipplin: Dipplin
:dragonite: Dragonite
:drednaw: Drednaw
:excadrill: Excadrill
:frosmoth: Frosmoth
:forretress: Forretress
:gardevoir: Gardevoir
:glimmora: Glimmora
:gliscor: Gliscor
:hatterene: Hatterene
:hariyama: Hariyama
:hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:kingambit: Kingambit
:koraidon: Koraidon
:kyogre: Kyogre
:lycanroc-dusk: Lycanroc-Dusk
:magnezone: Magnezone
:mandibuzz: Mandibuzz
:ninetales-alola: Ninetales-Alola
:pelipper: Pelipper
:piloswine: Piloswine
:polteageist: Polteageist
:porygon-z: Porygon-Z
:rillaboom: Rillaboom
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
:rhydon: Rhydon
:scovillain: Scovillain
:skeledirge: Skeledirge
:slowbro: Slowbro
:tsareena: Tsareena
:ursaring: Ursaring
:zoroark-hisui: Zoroark-Hisui

Low (only use if you have experience with the tier, unlisted Pokémon can often work, but you really need to know what you are doing):
:alcremie: Alcremie
:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:araquanid: Araquanid
:avalugg: Avalugg
:blaziken: Blaziken
:blissey: Blissey
:Brambleghast: Brambleghast
:chandelure: Chandelure
:chansey: Chansey
:charizard: Charizard
:copperajah: Copperajah
:ditto: Ditto
:donphan: Donphan
:dragapult: Dragapult
:dusclops: Dusclops
:espeon: Espeon
:exeggutor-alola: Exeggutor-Alola
:glaceon: Glaceon
:golurk: Golurk
:hitmonchan: Hitmonchan
:hitmontop: Hitmontop
:incineroar: Incineroar
:jolteon: Jolteon
:kommo-o: Kommo-O
:leafeon: Leafeon
:lucario: Lucario
:lurantis: Lurantis
:mabosstiff: Mabosstiff
:miraidon: Miraidon
:ninetales: Ninetales
:palossand: Palossand
:porygon2: Porygon2
:quaquaval: Quaquaval
:ribombee: Ribombee
:salamence: Salamence
:salazzle: Salazzle
:scrafty: Scrafty
:sneasler: Sneasler
:toxtricity: Toxtricity
:venomoth: Venomoth
:vikavolt: Vikavolt
:weavile: Weavile
:weezing-galar: Weezing-Galar
:zacian-crowned: Zacian-Crowned

Bad: (Don't use them if you want to win)
:ambipom: Ambipom
:arceus: Arceus (any)
:cinccino: Cinccino
:maushold: Maushold
:slaking: Slaking

Last edited:
A look at the watchlist:
:rabsca:Rabsca: Revival Blessing isn’t coded yet so we can’t really know how good it is
:gholdengo:Gholdengo: This Mon is fantastic, quite fast and 191 SpAtk really hurts. Its typing is good defensively and offensively, and Good as Gold+typing lets it block all hazard removal.
:houndstone:Houndstone: Uhhhh yeah this is a war crime. Last Respects is ridiculously strong at max power, and it’s not really even a glass cannon because it 94/140/139 bulk and Fluffy. So not only does it hit ridiculously hard, it can also live a hit or two if it needs to.
:gallade:Gallade: Gallade got one big buff this gen, and that’s Sharpness. It was already an A+ rank bulky attacker last gen, and now it has stronger STABs(135 BP Sacred Sword and 105 BP Psycho Cut)and it doesn’t have to deal with the drawbacks of CC anymore.
:frosmoth:Frosmoth: It was held back by a horrible typing and bad physical bulk last gen, now it can circumvent those problems. That being said, it does still have problems. The first is that it can circumvent its problems, but it can’t get rid of both at once. It can get the Defense boost from Snow, but that requires it to keep the ice typing. It can get a better typing with Tera, but it can’t get the Snow boost then. It also has a horrible MU against Ceruledge unless it runs Tera Water or something.
:cetitan:Cetitan: Belly Drum+Slush Rush go brrrrr. What can I say, it’s bulky and it obliterates if it gets Drum off.
:ceruledge:Ceruledge: This is probably one of the best Mons in the meta, it is soooo strong, it can SD to get stronger, and it has Weak Armor so if you don’t kill it in one hit it might just sweep you. It does get walled pretty hard by Quagsire though. Unless it runs Solar Blade. Ceruledge Sun broken???
Now onto my 2 favorite Mons(in general not just in Reevo)
:Quagsire:Quagsire: Quag is still here and is good as ev…wait no it was nerfed. It lost Scald and the Recover nerf hurts. Still a good Mon, although the nerfs are very impactful. Got some hazards to play around with now though.
:Clodsire:Clodsire: This Mon is great. It is passive, but not horribly so. 205/75/175 bulk is really, really good and it can pick between Unaware to serve as a great special set up stop or Water Absorb to get rid of a weakness.

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
With a few demons (no gholdengo unfortunately :pensive:) banned, I'm pretty excited for the state of the tier right now. Here's a few things I've been looking at that I need to test some more.

:lokix: clicks tinted lens u-turn and sucker punch. Bug/Dark is a good offensive combo when backed by Tinted, and it has a mean attack stat of 158. The physical bulk is enough where it can click Swords Dance if it wants to.

:dragonite: haven't built with this yet which is a shame, tera-normal e-speed looks insane. other people can attest to this things power.

:armarouge: unlike cerueldge it doesn't have a 2x boosting move. Calm Mind is pretty good, though, so it'll do well for itself in the tier. I've liked it when I played.

:iron-bundle: with a Quark Drive boost, this actually outspeeds almost everything without needing max investment. It's very powercrept though, so probably not great. It's worth testing out though.

:vivillon: this is faster butterfree with a highly accurate hurricane. Probably the best of the early game quiver dancers.

Last edited:
You say Medicham doesn't change much, but base 80 attack Pure Power looks scary, plus 100 speed isn't bad. I suppose I'll try it out.
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 780-918 (242.9 - 285.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 824-972 (256.6 - 302.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 240-283 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 321-378 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

uh-huh

New gen upon us. I enjoyed Reevo Last gen (and theorymon reevo CAP with KaenSoul and Kennukem). Did some work on cross evo so some things caught my eye in Reevo. Y'all pre banned some of the good stuff before I could abuse it. A shame. I wanted to enjoy some degenerate shit.

:Gallade: Might be biggest winner of returning mons? Sharpness makes this beast even better. 135 BP sacred sword, 105 BP psycho cut, and Night Slash being more powerful than knock (but limited distribution and item removal still makes Knock Viable).

:Bisharp: Became an NFE but lost Knock. The bulk with evio looks good but the lack of knock hurts.

:Palafin: Dont be OU and ban it. Learn the matchup and 6P it. Time to Totusgeki Reevo Iruka-san.

:Gholdengo: Great ability name, and anything with BST >= 800 catches my eye. 191 spa, 158 speed is some crazy offense while ghost/steel 129/120/112 bulk means it can take a hit or 2.

:Clodsire: The stall mon that has me interested the most given Quags viability last gen while being way more unique than other regional forms. No offense but 205/75/175 bulk is really strong. Water Absorb vs Unaware is hard choice but could lead to ability mixups.

:Baxcalibur: Its a pseudo-legendary. Moving on.

:Rabsca: Looked at this for cross evo and I think it has potential. In reevo, revival blessing is a powerful move and 199 spa is a nuke. But poor def typing, speed, and abilities are major detractors.

:Ursaring: Potentially has sauce if it counts as a NFE even though the evolution is unreleased. 180 atk is awesome and 120/100/100 bulk +evio means it can tank hits. No way to activate ability and lack of recovery hurts though.

:Breloom: Given that Sneasel x Breloom has returned to cross evo so I can mash harder than a unga Bunga gorilla, Breloom has caught my eye for reevo. On the one hand 60/100/60 bulk is garbage and 105 speed is meh. On the other hand: spore, 220 atk, and tech Mach Punch + Bullet Seed. Seems too frail but it can put something to sleep and do some dmg.

Last edited:

Gimmicky

sorry for using your post as an excuse to talk about Gallade, it's been on my mind for a while now
:Gallade: Might be biggest winner of returning mons? Sharpness makes this beast even better. 135 BP sacred sword, 105 BP psycho cut, and Night Slash being more powerful than knock (but limited distribution and item removal still makes Knock Viable).
Gallade is easily the biggest winner, IMO. Went from a high/top tier to something I can very easily picture being banned sooner than later. Sharpness is an insane ability, and catapults it into the stratosphere.

In my experience, TrickScarf is my favorite set. 110 is a great speed tier that means nothing short of max invested Noivern outspeeds you at +1, giving you the jump on threats like Dragapult, Espeon, and Kilowattrel. You can either keep this incredible speed tier at the cost of move versatility (not a problem with your 215 base attack), or instead cripple a defensive piece while still outspeeding threats like Breloom and Dragonite, and tying with unboosted Frosmoth.

LO 3 attacks is another incredible set, trading off the speed for insane damage output. With Tera Ghost, your weak Shadow Sneak becomes stronger than a Dragonite E-Speed, and you maintain some ludicrous calcs against defense and offense alike. Sacred Sword at +2 is one of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, and without the drawbacks of Close Combat, it's almost unhealthily spammable.

You thought those two sets were problematic enough? They're hardly Gallade's only options. There's very little stopping you from adding obscure tech from it's massive movepool to deal with the few answers it has.

TL;DR retest this thing we all misjudged last time

I was curious, and I did an exploration of the Eeveelutions ... if they are allowed, some of them become truly beastly.

Here's the rundown; calling them "___-E" just for simplicity
Vapor-E: 205/75/70/175/125/75 ... good SpA power, rather bulky
Jolt-E: 75/75/70/175/125/205 ... that speed
Flar-E: 75/205/70/145/155/75 ... potentially with Guts, gg nitenite
Esp-E: 75/75/70/215/125/165 ... that SpA is bonkers, great speed also
Umbr-E: 135/75/170/75/195/75 ... thiccness
Leaf-E: 75/165/210/75/65/135 ... not bad, not sure where it ranks among mates
Glac-E: 75/65/170/215/125/75 ... same bonkers SpA as Esp-E
Sylv-E: 135/75/80/175/195/65 ... same S-bulk as Umbr-E but very slow

And just did this for Arcanine ...
"Arcanine-E": 125/150/115/130/110/130 ... with Intimidate and probably WoW, looks really physically formidable, and not too shabby on the special side either, with good speed to boot.

Last edited:
A tetrad more beneficiaries of the E treatment

"Hariyama-E": 216/180/90/60/90/75 ... this bulk on a b180 Attacker with Guts
"Hitmonchan-E": 65/175/123/35/185/117 ... hmm
"Hitmonlee-E": 65/205/71/35/185/139 ... land HJK and hurt things
"Hitmontop-E": 65/155/155/35/185/105 ... Intimidate and wall things

KaenSoul

Community Leader
It's been a bit over the last (and first) voting slate, the meta changed a bit and I decided to revisit two Pokémon while adding a new one for this edition, and the results are...
Gallade, Gholdengo and Palafin have been banned!
KaenSoulrarrekennukemCratersmashAlexSaysBruh123Result
GalladeBANBANBANAbstainBANBanned
GholdengoBANBANBANBANBANBanned
PalafinDo Not BanBANBANBANDo Not BanBanned

:Gallade:
If you played Re-Evo last gen then you knew what Gallade was capable of, and thanks to its new abiliy Sharpness, it went from one of the strongest Pokémon in the tier to something hilariously overpowered, at least it no longer has Triple Axel allowing defensive Noivern to check it to some degree (it still takes around 55% from CB Psycho Cut), it pretty much had a negative impact on the viability of anything slower than it.

:gholdengo:
Good As Gold had a negative impact in the tier, as it reduced the counterplay to hazard stacking and screen HO to... Flamethrower Noivern. Golden boy is also among the Pokémon with the highest BST in Reevo, a good bulk of 129/120/112 that was even higher on practice thanks to preventing Defog from cleaning Screens, an astonishing SpA stat of 191 paired with NP and the great coverage it has with just stab moves, and finally 158 Speed, outspeeding everything relevant exept for Noivern, Dragapult, Espeon, Lycanroc-Dusk and Meowscarada.

:palafin-hero:
I think this is a ban we could revisit in the future as the tier leaves the HO meta that the previous bans forced, Palafin could easily beat the frail HO mons with its strong priority STAB move Jet Punch and just be a great cleaner in general, but sadly, this anti-hero didn't stop there, what makes it dangerous is being a ball of stats similar to Gholdengo, has enough bulk to set up on pretty much anything that doesn't hit it for SE damage, and thanks to Tera that can be quite tricky, on top of great speed and power.

I also updated the third post with explanations for the previous slate, as I forgot to do this last time.

Gimmicky

You may have noticed, but we have an official VR now! I won't be going over everything here, but let's take a look at our top tiers.

:garchomp: Undisputed best in the tier. It already topped the viability rankings last gen, and the meta has only gotten kinder to it. It has all the versatility Chomp has always had, as well as new options like spikes and a very versatile Tera choice. The lack of top tier fairies Clefable and Togekiss help a lot, too. Use this when you can, you will not regret it.

:clodsire: Insane special bulk. Clodsire has two equally viable, amazing abilities, a solid defensive type with the option to terastalize into an even better one, all while absorbing t-spikes, putting up hazards of it's own, and not being too passive with Curse.

:lokix: 158 Atk, Tinted Lens, and STAB Priority. That's all you really need to know. Lokix is an incredibly consistent attacker and cleaner, and can come in multiple times in a game thanks to its ground resistance and psychic immunity. Swords Dance only pushes this to the barrier, and it's speed tier is nearly perfect. U-Turn will cleave through anything not named Corviknight.

:noivern: Jack of all trades, master of most of them. It's one of the tiers most versatile mons, finding use on all types of teams. Physdef serves as a secondary check to a lot of the major threats in the tier, while 3 attack + Roost sets give you very solid coverage and longevity. Tera Normal Boomburst can tear teams to shreds, and 4 attacks can reliably hit most of the tier. These aren't your only options by a long shot-- try a Noivern, it can do pretty much anything!

:armarouge: This thing is on my personal watchlist. Very solid bulk, Weak Armor, Calm Mind, Stored Power, and a very spammable secondary STAB make this thing really hard to stop once it gets going. All of this coming off of 200 SpA means that even your initially lackluster speed can't hold you back. It's weak to priority with a mediocre defensive typing, but it's not to be underestimated. Stored Power isn't it's only set, either. Scarf can be used to spam Armor Cannon and Tera Blast while Taunt and a bulkier spread let you achieve boosts more reliably.

:annihilape: RFBU. Or, Rage Fist Bulk Up. Annihilape's BST is mediocre, but it makes up for that with surprisingly high bulk, a reliable setup move with a STAB recovery option, and the ever terrifying Rage Fist. Options like Tera, Taunt, surprisingly decent coverage and a nuke in Final Gambit round out Annihilape's moveset quite nicely, and make it a threat more than worth considering.

:corviknight: Oh, how the mighty fall... a whopping two viability ranks. Yeah, Corv is amazing in a Post-Gholdengo Meta. It does the same things it did last gen, get hazards off and keep them off, while providing a defensive answer to some of the top threats in the tier. It has a very customizable stat spread that allows you to spec it to survive some of the strongest moves in the tier, then U-Turn out into your counter. Don't let the Roost nerf dissuade you, Corv is the defensive and balance staple it always was.

If you feel like we missed anything or ranked anything wrong, let us know, but otherwise, happy playing! I'm really happy with the state of the meta, right now, and I hope you all feel the same :)

Gimmicky

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to analyze something really interesting with the Gen 9 Re-Evo meta-- Sun is viable! Last gen, Sun wasn't very good due to the prominence of rain, hail/snow, sand and the relative weakness of Kantonian Ninetales. With Scarlet and Violet, we got one of the best sun setters and one of the best sun abusers in one teamslot: Koraidon.

:koraidon: Koraidon can be hard to slot onto any team not centered around it, due to average special bulk, a 4x fairy weakness, and competition for the offensive dragon type with metagame staples like Noivern, Dragonite, Hydreigon and the incredibly prominent Garchomp. Koraidon's stats are still incredible, even in a powercrept metagame like Re-Evo, and even more so when it has a free life orb and 3rd STAB with no drawbacks. Koraidon's presence alone makes sun or semi-sun teams worthwhile, but it's not close to the only viable abuser.

:scovillain: Currently the only Chlorophyll user ranked on the VR, and probably the best. Scovillain has a great speed tier under sun, allowing it to outspeed many relevant Choice Scarfers with minimal investment, as well as strong dual offenses (154/154) and spammable STAB moves. It's movepool is limited, and leaves it walled by a lot of metagame staples, but it can cleave through plenty of the rest.

:leafeon: I promise this isn't just me being biased! Leafeon is another good option for a chlorophyll sweeper/cleaner. An even better speed tier allowing for minimal to no investment (can be boosted further with Trailblaze), an even stronger physical attack stat that can be boosted further with Swords Dance and a quite solid physically defensive profile combines to give Leafeon a niche of it's own. Limited coverage, especially with the loss of Knock Off, hurts its viability quite a bit, but it can use Tera Fire to give it a better offensive movepool with sun-boosted Tera Blast.

:lilligant: Unovan Lilligant has the lowest initial offenses, but the highest initial speed and special bulk. Lilligant packs a great speed tier even outside of sun, a great boosting move with Quiver Dance, a spammable Solar Beam and Giga Drain, and utility in Stun Spore and Healing Wish. I have the least to say about Lilligant because I've not played with it myself, but I'd definitely consider it if you don't need the fire type of Scovillain.

:armarouge: Sun-boosted Armor Cannon.

These aren't your only options by any means! Espeon and Umbreon get to use their respective sun healing moves for consistent recovery, and tera-fire Noivern can use Moonlight as well over Roost. Anything with Fire Coverage benefits directly, as well. I think running a full sun team is less viable than semi-sun, but I'd love to be proven wrong here. All four weather types are similarly viable for the first time in the tier!

These aren't out yet, but expect Hisuian Lilligant and Hisuan Typhlosion to be excellent sun abusers if they're released.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
A quick update on the watchlist, we are not going to vote on anything until early next month I think, but I want everyone to know what we are looking at.
:annihilape:
This thing is really bulky, and Rage Fist gets out of control quite quickly as most stuff just fail to OHKO it without a Super Effective stab, so it just switch into random stuff without much fear, and it can just live forever with Wish support or Rest, it really makes thing difficult for balance teams.
:espathra:
This thing is bulky enough to just set a sub and cm a few times against half of the tier while gaining some speed each turn, it doesn't even need Tera to do that most of the time as Sub already take care of First Impression/Sucker Punch, oh and screen support turn it into a demon. It does struggle a bit against Skeledirge (you may want to tera into a Psychic Resist/immunity) but in the end it just seems too centralizing.
:armarouge:
Trying to find answers to this thing has become quite annoying, most of our special sponges can't hit it back or are weak to Psychic or just get melted by STAB Psyshock anyway, and is really bulky, even after a Weak Armor debuff it can survive plenty of strong priority moves making it quite hard to revenge kill.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Annihilape and Espathra have been quickbanned!
KaenSoulkennukemAlexSaysBruh123Cratersmashrarre
AnnihilapeBANBANBANBANBAN
EspathraBANBANBANBANBAN
ArmarougeDo Not BanAbstainBANAbstainDo Not Ban

Not much to add to the previous post, but have some replays from the last few weeks:
Ape:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1746110855
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1746106109
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1746118073
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1757406735
Espathra
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1751779179
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1751777518

rarre

Sometimes I think maybe its too late
is a Tiering Contributor
Banning ho one mon at a time since 2022

I do actually like the current state of the metagame as it is. Similar to last gen, I’d say bulkier teams are quite good with clodsire, corv, chomper, umbreon, noivern, and garganacl being great mons. Ho is still good, as grimmsnarl is still in the tier with other setup sweepers such as dragonite, frosmoth, baxcalibur, armoruge, and hydreigon being able to tear teams apart.

:cinderace:
On another note, cinderace has arrived. It won’t appreciate the Libero nerf, but it did gain access to sd and has a great option for hazard control in court change. Overall, it will be interesting to see how cinderace will fit into this new generation

How has no one noticed barraskewda’s bonkers stats this whole time??
183 BASE ATK off the FASTEST MON IN THE TIER, BEFORE SWIFT SWIM?!?! Dwindling bulk doesn’t really matter if no one can hit you to begin with.

183 BASE ATK off the FASTEST MON IN THE TIER, BEFORE SWIFT SWIM?!?! Dwindling bulk doesn’t really matter if no one can hit you to begin with.
lokix-isnt-gonna.png

Walled by Noivern (without Ice Fang) and Water Absorb Quag, rain is meh in general due to its reliance on Peli, it has to worry about opposing weather with TTar, Hippo and even Koraidon, it HATES that screens are as good as they are, and honestly most offensive Pokemon are bulky enough to take at least one neutral hit (or resisted Liquidation) and threaten it back even without screens. This doesn't even consider defensive Tera shenanigans with something like Garg.

Rain is ranked C+ so it isn't unviable, but it isn't insane as you might think and has a lot going against it.

you have to remember that priority freaking exists, kingambit does what it does best, reverse sweeping your butt with focus sash, swordsz dance, and sucker punch freaking m*rders Barraskewda.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Clodsire, Armarouge, Baxcalibur and Polteageist have been banned!

KaenSoulCratersmashrarreKennAlexSaysBruh123Result
ClodsireBanAbstainBanBanBanBan
NoivernDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not BanNo Action
ArmarougeBanAbstainBanBanBanBan
FrosmothDo Not BanDo Not BanBanAbstainBanNo Action
BaxcaliburBanDo Not BanAbstainBanAbstainBan
PolteageistBanDo Not BanAbstainBanBanBan

:Clodsire: Clodsire has been banned for slowing down games to an unhealthy degree, thanks to an absurd 205/75/175 bulk and Unaware it could check pretty much all the special attackers in the format and a whole lot of physical attackers too, it wasn't perfect but the right Tera type could turn into something near impossible for some teams to break, and it could also utilize Curse to become a quite effective set up sweeper.
:Armarouge: Thanks to all around high stats it had no difficulties setting up on most stuff and then sweep, and thanks to Tera it could easily break pass its answers like Tyranitar and Skeledirge.
:Baxcalibur: Powerful set up sweeper and wall breaker that had quite limited defensive counterplay, and thanks to Tera it could forget its lackluster defensive typing or get stronger stabs to break pass corv and other walls much easier.
:Polteageist: Thanks to SS, Ghost STAB, Stored Power, Tera Fighting/Fairy it could easily kill anything but some unaware tera dark mons, leaving most counter play limited to just trying to revenge kill it.

If you see anything in common on all this cases, it must be clear that our eyes are in Tera now, is a controversial subject, so while most of the council wants it gone we will wait a bit more, most likely wait for HOME before the final decision on it.

View attachment 507672
Walled by Noivern (without Ice Fang) and Water Absorb Quag, rain is meh in general due to its reliance on Peli, it has to worry about opposing weather with TTar, Hippo and even Koraidon, it HATES that screens are as good as they are, and honestly most offensive Pokemon are bulky enough to take at least one neutral hit (or resisted Liquidation) and threaten it back even without screens. This doesn't even consider defensive Tera shenanigans with something like Garg.

Rain is ranked C+ so it isn't unviable, but it isn't insane as you might think and has a lot going against it.
Psychic terrain tho
It’s not the perfect plan but not unviable either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)