Lower Tiers RBY UU Hub

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
been playing this tier a little bit in my free time since I found it pretty fun (albeit very frustrating) during the dnite suspect tours; figured I'd drop this here. I'm very inexperienced so there's probably a lot that's inaccurate but I'll give explanations.

S
Tenta and Hypno have been done to death here; if you're not using them you're cheesing and that's p much it 99% of the time, they should be on just about every good team.

S-
So why did I even add S-? The simple answer is that I see Duggy and Kadabra on a similar yet different level to the A+ mons. They have immense upside just like something like Dragonite or Articuno, but the thing is that those mons as well as Kang and Persian can have a tendency to just kind of thud in my experience, dependent on the matchup or just player error. Duggy and Kadabra, however, have no such issues; they will pretty much always put in work and can also almost always act as a win condition in dire situations which I value very highly. Their ceilings aren't quite S level but their floors are way higher than the things below them, so I see them as a notch above just because they're a lot more consistent.

A+
Dragonite and Articuno are the scariest cleaners in the tier very often depending on how easily they set up. Dragonite in particular tends to thud more in practice but it is insanely warping in the builder, forcing Toxic on countless Pokemon just to make sure it doesn't get free setup (not that a lot of them have anything better to do, but still). Persian and Kangaskhan are very solid breakers and Persian wins a lot of games.

A
I haven't actually seen much of Gyara but I respect its influence on a game-to-game basis and it can be a real nightmare to pivot around. Vaporeon kind of sucks but it's necessary a lot of the time. Dodrio is immense danger but I do think it suffers a bit from being slightly less dangerous than the Normals above, still incredible tho ofc but I do see it quite a bit less as a result. It could maybe be one tier lower but god it's scary when it does show up.

B+
Tangela owns broken ass Duggy so it gets to be here, it's decent against some other stuff too. Aero's a nightmare to play against but never really performs for me, maybe I'm just bad. It's a cleaner you have to respect though. Haunter is S when it hits Hypnosis and D when it doesn't so it can have B+ as a midground, it's really inconsistent but if it lands its sleep it is a massive threat that can't be understated.

B
I know I rate Venu and Oma lower than most but I honestly don't see much use for what they bring to the table. Venu can be very obnoxious to switch into but it provides very little defensively other than being a general fatmon and being EQ neutral just sucks so much. Electabuzz is whatever, I do think it's quite cool that it has a unique amount of stuff it can threaten but it does often leave you wanting for power and having the potential to let Duggy in completely for free is ungood. I don't really like Oma, it's a cool Normal resist and it's nice that it takes fuck all from Wrap but like... it just doesn't do anything beyond that, it's never a threat and that really sucks. Dewgong is ass but it's nice to be able to ignore Articuno in the builder.

C
Idk. I haven't played enough of this tier to really rate many of these beyond Poliwrath being pretty cool, so they're unordered. I've seen them work so I just agree that they're viable and move on.

I don't really have a whole lot more to say, RBY UU is pretty fun and I think there's still very clearly a lot of exploration to be done. Maybe once I've played a bit more I'll come back and laugh at how pitiful my rankings are and change them accordingly. Also I couldn't find the fancy tier list maker everyone's using so I just used this one and edited the labels in case anyone else is looking for something to use.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I was asked a few times to do a new VR and kept saying my old VR represents my current opinions, but now it doesn't, so here I am with a new one. The main difference here is how I rank the lower-ranked mons, as well as add an E-rank since I think we've reached a point where we can justify these.

my-image (7).png

I'll skip everything down to B except Vaporeon and Kangaskhan. For explanations on each of the skipped ones, go here, as my opinion hasn't changed.

:vaporeon:PvK cancels Vaporeon, return to Big Momma Kangaskhan:kangaskhan:
Nah, not really. I noticed I was really high on Vaporeon for some reason when the other mons in the ranks are offensive behemoths that actually hurt its viability, ahaha. It's still amazing, just not as good as the other big thicc mons. Not much else to say, I'm basically just in line with everyone else now.

:dewgong:Dewgong to B- is the wave:dewgong:
I strongly believe Dewgong is UU material. It's used about as much as Omastar for very similar reasons while being a bigger stop to Articuno. It has a worse Kadabra matchup, but that's really about it. Its Blizzard is downright terrifying for Normal Spam teams to deal with while still being a solid Dugtrio check in its own right. It patches up so many teams here, that one meme I posted a while back becomes more real all the time, at least to me. pacattacc has quite a bit to share in the metagame thread soon as well. Easily the most underrated Pokemon in the metagame right now.

:dragonair:C- Rank:pinsir:
My D Rank was getting much more bloated than I'd like and I think the power level differentiates significantly, so I went and made a section for it. Dragonair is silly and I think it's proven itself to be at least a bit beyond a D Rank now.

But there are some hot takes, so, here we go.

Pinsir is good, people rag on it way too much in my opinion. This thing secures endgames so well, locking them down with a very scary Bind that works excellently in tandem with Dragonite. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to set up, it's moreso a bonus if you get the opportunity while being a strong deterrent to Rest users. While you'd think Toxic would hurt it in theory, in my experience, it's not that bad, since its offensive prowess is enough to still keep the ball rolling despite the damage. It really completes a lot of the partial trapping cores of the metagame and benefits a lot from the ubiquitous nature of Tentacruel, both on the player side and enemy side, since it cleans up a paralysed/resting one super well while also protecting your own from Dugtrio. Speaking of resting Pokemon, bloody hell is this thing a brutal punish to that, you can lose the game on the spot just for doing it. This metagame is arguably the one it's best in. The biggest things that hold it back are Haunter and not being self-sufficient enough. Even in the latter department, I think there's potential to improve it...I'll definitely be looking into it. I may try it with Electabuzz lead, it feels like a door to something new...

Clefable is also fine, my opinion of it has only been rising with time. I already did a cool post on it before that largely summarises my opinions, it's just that I like it more now. It really helps take the pressure off your Hypno in the utility department, which I think is its biggest strength: you use them to form a utility core together. The main issue is that it's really, really easy to wear down compared to Hypno, so oftentimes the core breaks early. Maybe I'm not using it right.

EB0LA has been putting in work with Golem and while it could be top of D, I feel inclined to go C-. I think paraspam teams are deceptively viable, they're just not going in the right direction. People are a bit too afraid of Dugtrio, and people are also a bit too attached to Dugtrio at the same time. I think as that hype settles going forward, Golem and paraspam will increase in viability. Try using it with Wrap Pivot Dragonite w/ TWave and Lead Kadabra. I think you'll find it's quite interesting. The main issue is that it just hands Dragonite an AgiliWrap sweep on a silver platter if it can't get the 2HKO switching in.

:venomoth:D Rank:kabutops:
These are Pokemon that I'd use before E Rank, for what it's worth. I don't think these are particularly good but their niches are defined enough to keep them functional.

Venomoth is the fastest Sleep Powder user in the tier that can also protect Dragonite from Toxic. The main issue is that it's death fodder afterwards. Think of it as OU Jynx but a bit worse and with access to Stun Spore. It can also paralyse Dugtrio and debatably switch into it if you're ballsy, which is actually pretty damn cool. Just don't lead with it, have Lead Tentacruel weave it in instead.

Kabutops is a Swords Dance + Hyper Beam bot, so it automatically gains points in my book because of my gigantic bias. The main issue is that it isn't Bind Pinsir, which is cooler and checks Dugtrio. Kabutops forgoes this and instead focuses on being a decent Wrap absorber...which Omastar can also do, just with special attacking prowess instead. I think Sevi 7 has some takes on this thing, so let's call in the expert.

Lusch showed me some Electrode stuff a while ago and Volk forced me to read an ungodly long analysis about it when I was uploading...it's ok? Probably the best Dugtrio lure out there, since it can explode on it and often put it in a bad spot. Lusch was enough of a crackhead to even bring Take Down just to put it in range, it's really interesting. I think this Pokemon has quite a bit of potential, it's just a case of experimenting with it. Perhaps we're not quite going in the right direction with this Pokemon.

I was bordering on putting the Nidos in E, but it didn't feel right. They can do quite a bit more than the others.
1624506959098.png

The main issue with the Nidos is that they hand Dragonite the game; they can't OHKO it with Blizzard. Ergo, if Dragonite comes in unscathed, that's an AgiliWrap sweep right there if you don't carry Toxic. This is a really, really annoying problem with what are otherwise perfectly good Pokemon. Their damage output is perfectly fine otherwise, chipping Tentacruel massively and putting some decent hurt on stuff like Hypno. It's about what you would expect: Thunder Wave and Toxic-immune Pokemon that have perfect coverage.

:moltres:E Rank:golduck:
This is gonna be unordered, but there are a lot of Pokemon with potential for E Rank. I think we have reached a point in this metagame where we can potentially shoot for doing this. Here I gathered a bunch of Pokemon I have seen used and discussed on at least a semi-serious level while seeing at least a modicum of success. I'll keep each of these brief, as, well, it's E Rank...

:moltres: Volk loves this Pokemon despite its flaws, and I see why. AgiliSpin isn't completely awful, especially if you can burn Tentacruel beforehand. Use alongside Articuno only unless you're looking to lose, you want to use their combined special offense to overwhelm the endgame. Or, at least, that's my understanding.

:golduck: egalvanc brought this to one of the Dragonite Suspect Tour games and I've seen patches of it used prior. It's debatably as good as Poliwrath if you ignore the lack of sleep in my opinion, especially when you consider the lack of a Psychic weakness. I think this may be better than we give it credit for. The main issues are the lack of Hypnosis and physical strength on both sides, though...

:blastoise: LTG screamed from the rooftops that Blastoise has something, and I can believe that there's a very small niche. It combines traits of bulky Water-types that we often look for in others: Earthquake access, high Defense, and slightly higher Special than its biggest competitor, Poliwrath. It also benefits from not having that pesky Psychic weakness. These traits give it a very small niche as a firmer stop to Dugtrio while being weaker on the physical offense side. In fact, it may just be better than Poliwrath if you're not after a sleeper but need a better Dugtrio check. I think it warrants another look.

:butterfree: Lusch used this once and its niche is basically "Ground-immune sleeper". You switch it in on Dugtrio's shitty ass, sleep something, sack for the opponent's sleep later and/or use it as death fodder. In my opinion, it's a worse Venomoth, especially in the Speed department, but apparently, its bulk is just enough to give it a better Hypno matchup too. I don't know enough about this, but hey, it's somehow not choking on air. Plus, sleep is really, really stupid in this tier, so that's another point in its favour.

:seaking: Sevi 7 wrote an analysis on this and proved this Pokemon can somehow exist in this tier, which is ungodly to think about, especially after reading that Butterfree isn't screaming for death. For some horrific reason, Seaking can set up on Dugtrio while pressuring Tentacruel more effectively than its competitor, Articuno, can. Yes, you are reading this, Seaking can do that. What else can it do? Jack shit. Well, I guess it can fish for a freeze...

:fearow: Worse Dodrio, use it alongside it and it works though. Oh, and you can switch in on Earthquake or Sleep Powder and Mirror Move it if you're based.

:charizard: AM put it on his VR and I tried it a bit. It spreads burns a bit like Aerodactyl while tying Tentacruel in Speed, which are both interesting traits. Since you tie Tentacruel, if you're at +2, that Earthquake is surprisingly threatening. It's a very difficult Pokemon to use though, and I think I want to test it more. It's one of the most viable Fire-types for sure, though this may be because it isn't being dragged to hell by Dugtrio.

:scyther: Eh...Volk used it and it was ok. The main issue is that it's a worse Persian outside of the sacred Swords Dance + Hyper Beam combo I will continue to meme into relevance. It's one of those Pokemon that really wishes Dragonite was banned, as it's setup fodder and almost forced to run Toxic as a result. It's faster than Tentacruel though, which I believe makes it the only SD+HB user in the tier with that trait.

:magneton: It's almost viable, being another one of those Pokemon that wishes Dragonite would fuck off. Again, forced to run Toxic, but it's got a nuclear Thunderbolt, which is cool in a tier strapped for strong Electric-type attacks. One of the big problems is that while it's forced to run Toxic, it's also slower than Dragonite, which means it'll have to take some Wraps before it can even land the Toxic in the first place. Joy! Worse still, if you're going to run a paraspam team to make this botched resurrection work, why aren't you using Golem or Pinsir?

Anyway, that's the VR. You may now crucify me.

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
pacattacc has quite a bit to share... Easily the most underrated Pokemon in the metagame right now.
Hello! I've been meaning to talk about Dewgong for awhile, because like PvK I believe it to be one of (if not THE) most underrated Pokemon in RBY UU.

When building teams in RBY UU, a common problem that comes up is the subject of Articuno.
articuno.png

Articuno is an extremely powerful Pokemon, and on many teams it forces you to run a dedicated check to it. When deciding to do this, there are three main options at your disposal, being Vaporeon, Omastar, and Dewgong.

Vaporeon.png
Omastar.png
Dewgong.png

All three of these fulfill the role of checking the icy monster, but they each have some differences that cause them to all be viable. Omastar is the most unique of the three, as its Rock-typing causes it to function very differently from the other two. This leaves Vaporeon and Dewgong in competition with each other.

Vaporeon.png
Dewgong.png

Most people write off Dewgong as a niche choice over Vaporeon, but it is very much a viable choice for a large percentage of teams. To understand this, you have to compare the two based on the roles that each are going to be performing throughout a game.

Defensive Capabilities

As an Articuno check, Dewgong is clearly the superior choice, and everyone is aware of this. It is able to threaten Articuno for more damage, as well as being immune to the Freeze status that can cause Articuno to randomly cheese Omastar and Vaporeon and let Articuno go wild. However, these Pokemon aren’t only defensively used for this .

When people use Vaporeon, it's also used to switch into and threaten Dugtrio, acting as a soft check. Many people assume that Dewgong is worse at this due to its weakness to Rock Slide, but in reality the difference is negligible.

Dugtrio Rock Slide vs. Dewgong: 110-130 (28.7 - 33.9%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO
Dugtrio Earthquake vs. Vaporeon: 128-151 (27.6 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

In fact, its actually better to use Earthquake versus Dewgong than Rock Slide, as the tiny bit of extra damage is worth less than the 10% miss chance of Rock Slide.

Dugtrio Earthquake vs. Dewgong: 109-129 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Now, how do these two fair versus the other threats? Well, the difference is actually small for most of them.
Kangaskhan.png

Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. Dewgong: 104-123 (27.1 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. Vaporeon: 123-145 (26.5 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Kangaskhan Hyper Beam vs. Vaporeon: 217-255 (46.8 - 55%) -- 71.4% chance to 2HKO
Kangaskhan Hyper Beam vs. Dewgong: 182-214 (47.5 - 55.8%) -- 81.1% chance to 2HKO
persian.png

Persian Slash vs. Vaporeon on a critical hit: 161-190 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Persian Slash vs. Dewgong on a critical hit: 136-160 (35.5 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Aero.png

Aerodactyl Double-Edge vs. Dewgong: 87-103 (22.7 - 26.8%) -- 36.6% chance to 4HKO
Aerodactyl Double-Edge vs. Vaporeon: 102-121 (22 - 26.1%) -- 6.6% chance to 4HKO
Aerodactyl Hyper Beam vs. Dewgong: 130-153 (33.9 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Aerodactyl Hyper Beam vs. Vaporeon: 154-181 (33.2 - 39%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
CruelBased.png

Tentacruel Surf vs. Vaporeon: 54-64 (11.6 - 13.8%) -- possible 8HKO
Tentacruel Surf vs. Dewgong: 60-71 (15.6 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
Dodrio.png

Dodrio Body Slam vs. Dewgong: 114-135 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 19.8% chance to 3HKO
Dodrio Body Slam vs. Vaporeon: 135-159 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO
Dodrio Hyper Beam vs. Dewgong: 199-235 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dodrio Hyper Beam vs. Vaporeon: 237-279 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In general, both of them are going to be handling opposing Pokemon the same. However, there is one key difference between the two, being that Vaporeon stomachs Special attacks much better than Dewgong.

Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. Vaporeon: 175-206 (37.7 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. Dewgong: 194-228 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kadabra Psychic vs. Vaporeon: 104-123 (22.4 - 26.5%) -- 21.3% chance to 4HKO
Kadabra Psychic vs. Dewgong: 114-135 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 19.8% chance to 3HKO

Haunter Thunderbolt vs. Vaporeon: 142-168 (30.6 - 36.2%) -- 57.1% chance to 3HKO
Haunter Thunderbolt vs. Dewgong: 156-184 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Venusaur Razor Leaf vs. Vaporeon on a critical hit: 219-258 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 78.6% chance to 2HKO
Venusaur Razor Leaf vs. Dewgong on a critical hit: 239-282 (62.4 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is Dewgong's main setback, which is why many have written it off. However, it has a big advantage of its own.

Offensive Capabilities

Dewgong hits MUCH harder than Vaporeon, and its very noticable in games. While both have meaty Special attacks, Dewgongs access to STAB Blizzard makes a huge difference in many scenarios. Surprisingly, Dewgong's Ice Beam doesnt even lag behind Vaporeon's Surf by that much, giving you a way to mitigate the inconsistency that many believe Dewgong has over Vaporeon. Surf is also an option, if you want a better Omastar matchup. These factors give Dewgong a noticeable niche over Vaporeon (and Omastar), acting as the most offensive of the three. I would post a truckload of calcs here, but im experiencing severe demotivation as of late, so you'll either have to trust me or go look it up yourself in the damage calculator. For a general idea, heres one example:

Vaporeon Blizzard vs. Hypno: 84-99 (22.5 - 26.5%) -- 19.1% chance to 4HKO
Vaporeon Surf vs. Hypno: 99-117 (26.5 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Dewgong Ice Beam vs. Hypno: 91-108 (24.3 - 28.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO
Dewgong Surf vs. Hypno: 91-108 (24.3 - 28.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO
Dewgong Blizzard vs. Hypno: 114-135 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 53.2% chance to 3HKO

Conclusion

Many people underrate Dewgong's advantages, causing it to be dropped in favor of Vaporeon even when Dewgong may be better. Dewgong deserves more spotlight, and the stuff ive stated here is part of the reason that I use Dewgong enough to classify it as a UU Pokemon on my VR, just like Plague von Karma. I overwhelmingly support the idea of Dewgong being risen to UU. Thanks for reading!

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
And the VR Season intensifies.

RBY_UU_VR_21_7_1.png

Here are some quick explanations for those interested:

S
It's still Tentacruel and Hypno. Tentacruel in particular I think has only really gotten better in recent times, as it does pretty well against popular slower stuff like Articuno, Kangaskhan, Venusaur, and Tangela. You generally want Tentacruel and Hypno on every team and a team that is unprepared for them is a bad team.

A+
Kadabra is genuinely exceptional and I considered putting it in S- or A++. It fits on virtually every team, does a great job at keeping the two biggest threats at bay, and can fulfill a million different roles. It can serve as speed control, a sleep absorber or blocker, a lead, a revenge killer, a paralysis spreader, a Hypno check, and so on. It is incredibly strong and consistent and probably the only Pokemon outside of the top two that regularly appears on more than 50% of all teams (it actually hit over 75% usage in UUFPL!).
Dragonite is very good in the modern meta. In addition to the classics (APT and checking Dugtrio), there are a lot of things that keep Dragonite near the top of UU. The surge of offensive builds has been a boon for Dragonite, as its huge bulk and access to Thunder Wave is arguably the closest thing to a real Normal-type attacker check in the tier. Grass-type Pokemon being on the rise has also been very helpful for it.
Dugtrio, on the other hand, has taken a few hits recently. Players are getting better at naturally weaving Dugtrio checks into their teams and new advancements, like Tangela, Venusaur, and Aerodactyl, are making it harder for Dugtrio. The overabundance of Articuno has also been a mixed bag for Dugtrio. At the end of the day though, it is still Dugtrio, the best revenge killer and sweeper in the tier by a healthy amount. It is less dominant right now, but still very strong.

A
Persian is a terror right now and becoming increasingly popular. While I think the lower speed, narrower coverage, and weakness to Thunder Wave keep Persian from eclipsing Dugtrio, it is still very easy to work onto teams simply because of how difficult it is to check. Outside of Haunter, not much comfortably takes on Persian 1v1, making it very flexible in the meta right now. It's the star of several prominent modern teams. Also, it is subtly redefining the lead meta and no one is really noticing.
Kangaskhan still holds on to a rather high position simply because it has no true checks in the meta. Kangaskhan is very potent, easy to add to teams, and basically never underperforms. I also think it has a bit of an untapped mid-game prowess right now. Sometimes it is nice to keep a weak Kangaskhan around just because its Hyper Beam can annihilate basically anything, making it extremely dangerous if it can sneak in against a paralyzed foe.
Articuno is a bit overrated right now in my opinion. It is incredibly dangerous like the three other offensive Pokemon I just mentioned, but I find it much easier to check. Articuno has a much easier time sweeping thanks to Agility and its bulk, but it is quite a bit more needy in the set-up stages. This holds it back.
Gyarados isn't really doing anything special right now. It is just generally good, as always. It's an excellent offensive Pokemon that handles most traditional checks to HO builds, like bulky Water-type Pokemon, pretty comfortably.

A-
I was originally pretty anti-Vap-in-its-own-tier, but I think A- is ultimately the best home for Vaporeon. It generally lacks that immediate presence everything above it has, but it is more reliable then anything below it. It also cores really well with Dragonite, which is riding high right now.

B+
Dodrio is kind of the physical equivalent to Articuno right now. It has much lower bulk, but it sets up on Dugtrio more comfortably. It is another major offensive threat that can be pretty difficult to prepare for and easily roll out of hand.
Venusaur remains prominent because sleep remains kind of broken. It sneaks in on Hypno and forces pretty predictable play thereafter (Venusaur has consistent checks, but these checks can all be exploited by like two Pokemon). It is simple and effective, and you should always be aware that it may be unrevealed.

B
Electabuzz is a solid Pokemon. It kind of functions like Kadabra, but with a different, but still good, typing. The meta is not extremely kind to it right now, but it still holds a place as a Pokemon that can force switches consistently and occasionally outright sweep. It also remains a pretty decent lead.
Haunter actually looks really good in the current meta, considering how popular stuff like Persian is. Despite this, it is actually a pretty uncommon sight right now. I think its poor consistency, especially as a sleeper, has kind of caused it to be pushed to the side. Wrap is handled differently now and better sleepers exist, so Haunter is struggling when it honestly seems like it should be prospering.

B-
Ordering these three Pokemon was pretty difficult, though you wouldn't know that as I settled on the same order as last time. They are all kind of niche glue Pokemon that exist just to make certain powerful archetypes function properly. Tangela looks great on Mixed Offense builds that need a reliable Dugtrio check and access to sleep. Aerodactyl is good on Special Offense teams that need a Dugtrio check and a little extra speed. Omastar is good on certain Wrap builds as it can handle Persian and Agility users rather well. These Pokemon work very well on a good-sized variety of teams, so I think they are all definitely worthy of being UU.

C+
This was another troubling bunch to order. Poliwrath sat at the top for a while, but I ended up putting Dewgong there as it was the one I could see myself taking to a serious match most frequently. Dewgong doesn't really have any consistency issues to speak of and you can rely on it succeeding, even if you don't get a great matchup or make a bad prediction or something. I could realistically see Dewgong in UU proper personally, as it really has no major drawbacks and sees reasonable usage. My greatest concern is ultimately if it has enough distinction to really be treated as a competitor of Pokemon like Vaporeon and Omastar.
I spent a lot of time thinking trying to figure out why Poliwrath isn't as good as it "should be." Aside from the very obvious reason (Hypnosis bad), I settled on the fact that, while Poliwrath isn't really walled by anything, it doesn't force switches very well. Aside from accuracy, it really seems like Poliwrath should be on par with Venusaur, if not better, but it just isn't. I think what holds Poliwrath back is that it doesn't do a great job at forcing your opponent's hand. Venusaur is much better at threatening stuff, mainly bulk Water-type Pokemon, and forces in the same couple of checks, like Dragonite and Articuno, every time. Poliwrath, on the other hand, doesn't scare much of anything after landing a Hypnosis and like a dozen Pokemon might switch into it: Gyarados, Kadabra, Hypno, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Tangela, Tentacruel, Electabuzz, and so on. This means using Poliwrath requires much stronger teambuilding and predicting to function, as compared to other sleepers. Kind of weird, honestly.
Raichu is still a pretty interesting Pokemon, and I can faintly see an argument for it to be UU like Poliwrath. It remains really awkward in the meta, but it can really shine in the right matchup, as some teams really don't have a plan for it if it uses Agility or something. It still suffers from consistency issues and is generally outclassed by Kadabra and Electabuzz. It can be fun and effective at times and it has enough unique tools to hold on to some relevance in the meta.
Clefable is another Pokemon that can be very dangerous in the right situation. If it gets in at the right time, it can do a lot to pressure Hypno and Kadabra, which is really quite nice. The main issue is consistency, as its low speed and middling bulk make it very weak to mundane things like paralysis and critical hits. It also doesn't really fit any particular role. Outside of "Paralysis Spreader," Clefable can't really work towards any of the major roles you expect a UU mon to occupy, like Speed Control, Dugtrio check, Sleeper, Bulky Water, and so on.
I like Raticate quite a bit, but I think you are generally better off using Kangaskhan or Persian. Super Fang is always a really cool tech that can be devastating in the early game. It's awkward speed and average attack can sometimes leave it at a loss in endgames, but it can be a really cool Rest punish in some games. Raticate and the rest of C+ enjoy the benefit of not being too difficult to build with; they can offer support without the team being "designed around them."

C
I'm starting to lose steam now, so let's start wrapping this up. Golem is a very powerful Pokemon and it has what is essentially the only truly threatening Explosion in the tier, so it can really put in work in the right scenario. I think this Pokemon has a lot of untapped potential and many people are currently misusing it. I keep seeing it on these weird Paralysis Spam builds that don't really work in the modern meta. Rather than blaming the build, people blame Golem. I think there are interesting ways to use this Pokemon as a defensive piece or a quick killer in certain endgames. Don't sleep on it.
Between the analysis and a few games, I have some more respect for Electrode as of late. It does most of what people say it does, but I also greatly underestimated it as a sweeper. It takes more preparation than either of them, but Electrode can be just as deadly as Dugtrio or Aerodactyl. It's a great gambling Pokemon and can be really fun on Electric Spam teams (yes, that's a real thing I've tried) as well.
I don't use or see Pinsir very much, so I don't have too much to say. It has some good matchups and can bully some common Pokemon thanks to its typing and Speed tier. You don't usually prepare for it, so it can do a lot of damage to some builds, especially slower ones.
Dragonair is still dumb.

C-
This last bunch is "reasonably viable and not totally outclassed." They aren't great, but you could realistically point to a team or situation that would uniquely benefit from one of them. Moltres is neat, being carried by its stats more than anything else. It is very bulky and can be haphazardly thrown at neutral targets with reasonable success. Burn can be cool too sometimes.
I have to use Charizard more personally, but I see the potential and have seen it do some work in enough games to rank it here. It could rise or fall more later perhaps. It has a lot of bad matchups, but I can see it being rather dangerous in common endgames. Additionally, I actually meant to rank Charizard on my last VR (probably somewhere in the last rank), but I literally just forgot. So I guess thank you to AM for indirectly reminding me.
Venomoth is generally worse than Pokemon like Venusaur, but the speed tier carries it to notoriety. You can sleep an Articuno, but not much else after that. I guess Stun Spore is something.

The Other Guys
As of now, I'm not terribly impressed by any of these. D+ is populated by Pokemon that are outclassed, but still technically effective ("viable by technicality"). D- is comprised of Pokemon that I think are generally pretty bad, but notably better than some randomly selected Pokemon. I might go into more detail about these guys at another time, but I'm burning out. The last array of Pokemon are those that I or other have tried and not really liked or exist only as ideas that could maybe be decent with some development. Again, I'll probably cover these in more detail later, so watch out for that.

That was tiring. Cheers!

edit:
I added some additional notes on the Low Tier Folks as promised. I would generally advise against using most of these Pokemon in a competitive setting, but I suppose you could argue they aren't totally without merit. For me, there is a kind of soft viability cutoff somewhere around C+ and a firmer one by the end of C-. Pokemon in C+ and C are honestly pretty viable, and building teams with them can be rewarding. They are mostly limited by their consistency or the number of good teams that they actually fit on, but they can be truly worthwhile in the right matchup or on the right team. Pokemon in C- are a lot more awkward to work with, but they each have a pretty clearly defined niche and a unique identity. They aren't great, but there is an actual purpose to using them if they are used in the proper context. Once you hit D, you are working with Pokemon that are largely outclassed, highly inconsistent, or in great need of support. They don't really fit anywhere without being forced, regardless of the context. They are "better than nothing," but you really wouldn't ever find yourself in a situation where you would really want one, or miss it if you kicked if off the team. Again, you probably shouldn't bother with Pokemon beyond C-Rank, unless you are confident you can discover some lost treasure.

D+
These three Pokemon are the "Viable by Technicality" crowd. This means that, while they are widely outclassed by superior options, teams can still function more or less normally if a player decides to use them. Blastoise and Golduck are more or less just inferior to bulky Water-type Pokemon like Vaporeon and Poliwrath, but they have enough bulk to function and a few traits that keep them from being total garbage. Blastoise has pretty good physical bulk, a reasonable typing, and access to Earthquake and Counter. None of this is really notable enough to merit Blastoise a position in the tier, but if you use Blastoise, you probably won't find it useless. Golduck packs Amnesia and finds itself in the same category as Blastoise. They are much less threatening offensively and defensively, but remain usable.
Fearow is similar but different. Stacking bulky Water-type Pokemon is generally not necessary in UU, so if you are using Blastoise or something, you are generally choosing to not use, say, Vaporeon. Fearow, on the other hand, is competing with Dodrio. There isn't really any good reason to use Fearow over Dodrio, but one could realistically imagine and employ a team featuring both. There isn't much demand for teams like this, especially when stuff like Persian exists, but the option is there and can be reasonably successful. These three Pokemon really challenge the way we interpret the word "viable." They can be used alongside or in place of their counterparts with little detriment, but there isn't much of a reason to do so. It's kind of difficult to quantify something like that. But alas, here we are in D+.

D-
Nidoking has a very good offensive movepool and basically nothing else. It isn't really walled by anything, but it has underwhelming stats and lacks the ability to threaten a lot of stuff. It's typing is also dismal. If you are looking for a universal breaker, just use Kangaskhan or something.
Butterfree is Venomoth with the ability to take a Psychic from Kadabra. It is worse in basically every other way. Butterfree can switch into and sleep fewer things than Venomoth and is somehow even less threatening offensively. Butterfree arguably makes the better lead, but leading with sleepers really isn't viable in UU outside of Hypno right now. For the most part, if you are going to run a sleeper, you won't lead with it. And if you do lead with it, you are already fishing for the Hypno matchup, so you may as well use something better, like Venusaur or Venomoth.
Kabutops has a good typing and movepool, but is let down by its stats. It can't wall much of anything in the tier, not even being a reliable check to Articuno, and its Speed falls flat. It doesn't really work as a bulky Pokemon or an offensive Pokemon, so you probably shouldn't use it. Again, probably just stick to something like Kangaskhan.
Seaking can be a funny Agility sweeper, but that's about it. While it is less worried about Dugtrio than Articuno, that is more or less where the positives end. Seaking's offenses are poor and it really can't make very good use of its STAB. It is also pretty much non-functional without Agility, so getting it to work at all takes a lot of effort. With Agility, it can be decent, but there are so many better and more consistent options.
Nidoqueen is essentially Nidoking, but its inferior speed makes it match up poorly against even more Pokemon. I wouldn't recommend either.

Bad or Unexplored
Arbok was pitched by Sevi 7, but I still haven't seen it in action. It's mediocre speed, poor typing, and low stats are not promising.
Sandslash is genuinely awful. I tested this thing and was very disappointed. It is way too slow for the tier and can't find any opportunity to boost. I'm open to being proven wrong, but I'm sticking with Dugtrio for now.
Rapidash is something I've been toying with in my head lately. I can see it being okay thanks to the speed tier and potentially annoying with Fire Spin. The typing and generally underwhelming bulk make me not too excited, however. It'll probably be the next thing I test.
Magneton was pitched by pacattacc, but it remains largely unseen. It has the coverage of Electrode and the speed of Dewgong, so I'm not exactly convinced that it has value here.
Mr. Mime could maybe make for an interesting Triple Psychic offense or something, but that's about it. Maybe it can attempt to bully Hypno, but plenty of other stuff do that better. Heck, Moltres isn't too bad at that. To my knowledge, it is mostly untested, so maybe there is something.
Scyther has the same Speed as Rapidash and access to Slash. It is just a little too weak to make progress it seems. I've used it quite a bit in testing, but haven't gotten many good games, especially considering I seem to keep foddering it off to sleep. I'm not sold here.
Porygon exists because it theoretically walls bulky Water-type Pokemon and paralyzed Normal-type Pokemon. Porygon can kind of accomplish both of these goals, but it really isn't all that impressive when you think about it, because, you know, Wrap exists. It does technically do its job well, but there isn't much demand for it these days, so you are better off just using another attacker or something.

Last edited:

Shellnuts

Rustiest Player Around
is a Community Contributor
Hello, since everyone has been posting their VRs, I think now is a good time for the VR to get a proper update using the statistical analysis tools by vapicuno and McMeghan which have been detailed in this thread. To set this up, a survey has been made for knowledgeable players to fill out to rank the threats they consider relevant in the tier, linked here. All results will be made public once the VR is up.

I will keep the survey up for two weeks before closing it, and intend the VR update to be out by the start of August.

If you have any questions, PM me on Smogon or Discord (Shellnut#3699) and I will try to respond quickly.

For those who have posted their VRs since the last update and still agree with it, you can pm me on Smogon or Discord (Shellnut#3699) and I will add those rankings myself.

Feel free to submit your rankings to the survey, especially if you are an active player of the tier. If you know of an active player that was not tagged, share this survey with them.
Highlighting some active players who have played in recent tournaments: EB0LA, Lusch, Volk, Sevi 7, Plague von Karma, pacattacc, phoopes, Reeece, AM, Ruft, kjdaas, meloyy, Justamente, Lord Thorx, iKiQ

If you are an active RBY UU player who was not tagged, feel free to submit your viability rankings to the survey and they will be considered in the final viability rankings update, I apologize for not tagging you.

Shellnuts

Rustiest Player Around
is a Community Contributor
Update Time:
Thanks to Lusch Reeece iKiQ LTG AM kjdaas Sevi 7 phoopes BreakthrU89 meloyy EB0LA Volk Plague von Karma and pacattacc for sending their rankings. As stated earlier, the tiers and rankings were formed using the statistical analysis tools by vapicuno and McMeghan, which have been described in this thread. All of the data is publicly available and can be consulted here.

Survey methodology:
- All Pokemon that were included in the survey were either on the current viability rankings or have been mentioned two times or more since the last Viability Rankings update. At the end of the survey, there was a spot for respondents to nominate Pokemon they feel should have been included in the survey and give their ranking of it.
- None of the Pokemon were mandatory to rank.
- The order of the Pokemon on the survey was based on the prior viability rankings.
- The survey was left open for two weeks.

The average outlier-compensated viability rankings are as follows.
01 Tentacruel
02 Hypno
03 Dugtrio
04 Kadabra
05 Dragonite
06 Articuno
07 Persian
08 Kangaskhan
09 Gyarados
10 Vaporeon
11 Dodrio
12 Haunter
13 Venusaur
14 Tangela
15 Electabuzz
16 Omastar
17 Aerodactyl
18 Dewgong
19 Poliwrath
20 Raichu
21 Golem
22 Clefable
23 Raticate
24 Pinsir
25 Dragonair
26 Electrode
27 Venomoth
28 Moltres
29 Kabutops
30 Blastoise
31 Poliwhirl
32 Charizard
33 Nidoking
34 Golduck
35 Nidoqueen
36 Fearow
37 Butterfree
38 Seaking
39 Magneton
40 Arbok
41 Scyther
42 Porygon
43 Rapidash
44 Mr Mime
Considering only pokemon that were ranked by 2 or more players, we get the following reduced list.
01 Tentacruel
02 Hypno
03 Dugtrio
04 Kadabra
05 Dragonite
06 Articuno
07 Persian
08 Kangaskhan
09 Gyarados
10 Vaporeon
11 Dodrio
12 Haunter
13 Venusaur
14 Tangela
15 Electabuzz
16 Omastar
17 Aerodactyl
18 Dewgong
19 Poliwrath
20 Raichu
21 Golem
22 Clefable
23 Raticate
24 Pinsir
25 Dragonair
26 Electrode
27 Venomoth
28 Moltres
29 Kabutops
30 Blastoise
31 Charizard
32 Nidoking
33 Golduck
34 Nidoqueen
35 Fearow
36 Butterfree
37 Seaking
38 Magneton
39 Arbok
40 Scyther
Lastly, from the data collected, the following tiers were obtained.
S:
:Tentacruel:
:Hypno:

A1:
:Dugtrio:
:Kadabra:
:Dragonite:

A2:
:Articuno:
:Persian:
:Kangaskhan:
:Gyarados:

A3:
:Vaporeon:

B1:
:Dodrio:
:Haunter:
:Venusaur:
:Tangela:
:Electabuzz:

B2:
:Omastar:
:Aerodactyl:
:Dewgong:

C1:
:Poliwrath:
:Raichu:
:Golem:
:Clefable:
:Raticate:

C2:
:Pinsir:
:Dragonair:
:Electrode:
:Venomoth:
:Moltres:

D:
:Kabutops:
:Blastoise:
:Charizard:
:Nidoking:
:Golduck:
:Nidoqueen:
:Fearow:
:Butterfree:
:Seaking:

E: :Magneton::Arbok::Scyther:

The old VR tiers are as follows.
S:

A+:

A:

B+:

B:

- - - - - U U - N U - L I N E - - - - -
C+:

C:

D:

Tier Creation Process:

First, the data is cleaned by compensating outliers 1 standard deviation away from the edge of the percentiles expected to contain +/- 1 standard deviation of a normal distribution. The compensation is done by bringing these points to the edge of this extended range. This results in only a few outliers being corrected. We then plot the outlier-removed data against the integer rank to obtain the following graph:
We then focus in on the top 28 Pokemon that were ranked, we obtain the following graph.
For the sake of convenience, these graphs were re-created with the x-axis displaying the names of the pokemon instead of the integer rankings. This produces the following full ranking plot.

And, when we zoom in on the top 28 Pokemon that were ranked, we obtain the following.

Overall, the tiers are very cleanly defined throughout the entire VR and the tier lines can easily be drawn by eye in most locations. In order to verify these tier divisions, we turn to hierarchical clustering to form the tiers. To explain how this works, I'll use the following quote by vapicuno:
For every pair of Pokemon, we want a number that acts as a distance between them; we want this distance to be zero when people heavily disagree on their relative placement as this implies they are of similar worth, and to be huge when people all agree that it is clear one of them is better than the other. For every pair of Pokemon, the Kendall rank correlation sums over all pairs of people their ranking correlation. If a pair of people both ranked Pokemon A better than B or B better than A, add 1 to the correlation statistic (distance). If a pair of people rank the Pokemon in the opposition to each other, add -1. Divide by the total number of pairs afterwards. This creates a situation where if 50% of people rank A higher than B, then the distance will be 0, whereas if A is clearly better than B or vice versa, the distance will be 1. If you draw up a table of this distance for all pairs of Pokemon, you get the dissimilarity matrix. This method is actually quite tolerant to outliers unlike the linear plot method because it doesn't care about the numerical value of the rank; it only asks "do you rank A higher than B or not?".

This dissimilarity matrix is fed into a hierarchical clustering algorithm (Ward's method) which yields the following dendrogram. Think of this as a tree where the further higher through the branches you need to go to connect two Pokemon, the further they are apart. Setting a threshold (like 5) in the following graph cuts off those connecting branches, leaving colored clusters which we conventionally call tiers.
Performing this for all Pokemon from Tentacruel to Moltres gives us the following dendrogram and dissimilarity matrix.
1627784585793.png

1627785029619.png

This yields the following VR tiers:

S: :Tentacruel::Hypno:
A1: :Dugtrio::Kadabra::Dragonite:
A2: :Articuno::Persian::Kangaskhan::Gyarados:
A3::Vaporeon:
B1: :Dodrio::Haunter::Venusaur::Tangela::Electabuzz:
B2: :Omastar::Aerodactyl::Dewgong:
C1: :Poliwrath::Raichu::Golem::Clefable::Raticate:
C2: :Pinsir::Dragonair::Electrode::Venomoth::Moltres:
D: :Kabutops::Blastoise::Charizard::Nidoking::Golduck::Nidoqueen::Fearow::Butterfree::Seaking:
E: :Magneton::Arbok::Scyther:

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask, thanks for reading.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I was going to wait until the end of RBYPL to end up posting a tier list with my thoughts, but I had the free time and I really didn't want to wait and wanted to get some discussion going on the forums since stuff passes by so quickly on Discord and it's been awhile since we've had discussion here. Also I wanted to get the jump on some other people posting their tier lists so I couldn't be accused of copying their homework and just changing it a little bit like often happens with Volk lol. Anyway, first spoiler is the tier list, second spoiler is (probably lengthy) explanations.

my-image (7).png

S:
What can I say about Tentacruel and Hypno that haven't already been said? They're pretty much required Pokemon (pretty much) in order to have any kind of success unless you're a crazy builder and good at the game like Lusch is. I would feel very uncomfortable leaving either of them off any of my serious teams so they're definitely S.

A+:
There's been some discussion about giving Kadabra its own tier. I am not a Kadabra truther but I still do think it is the third-best 'mon in the tier with Dragonite close behind. I've gotten a much better appreciation for unstatused Kadabra recently, as I've run some teams where I have it as my only 'mon faster than Tentacruel. It's kind of a risky play building like this but it makes you have to keep Kadabra unstatused and when it is, it's a huge threat. I know EB0LA and maybe some others think Dragonite is better (I used to as well) but it's solidly in the number four slot for me. AgiliWrap is just too scary and is something you always have to consider when building. We haven't seen AgiliWrap do crazy amounts of work in recent days, but still, the mixups you can pull off with Dragonite's nuts movepool is a really cool feature as well. Finally, Dugtrio is super fast and strong and can just accidentally crit its way to a victory sometimes. It's such a good revenge killer and even has a little defensive utility with its Ground-typing even though it's so frail. But my stocks on it are definitely lower than the other two A+ 'mons, since a bunch of the B-ranks can soft check it by switching in at least once or twice and respond/force it out.

A: There's a lot of contention for the 6-7-8 slots in what order they go in, but my take is Articuno-Persian-Kangaskhan. I put Articuno first out of these three because of Agility mainly. Paralysis just doesn't mean as much to Articuno and for this reason it can still make a major dent in teams even after it takes a Thunder Wave. Up next it could go really either way between Persian and Kangaskhan honestly, but I give the edge to Persian because of its speed and STAB Slash even though Kangaskhan is arguably the hardest 'mon to respond to in the tier. For real, I was trying to gameplan against Shellnuts recently and I was like... how do I even gameplan for Kangaskhan? How do I respond? But like I said I end up giving Persian the edge anyway lol, having more than 100 speed is just so good. After them comes Gyarados in nine spot, another great all-out attacker but just not quite up to the same level as the three before it. It's slower and can take a hit, but overall I think most agree Gyarados just isn't quite up to par with the rest of A-rank, even though it tends to have a good win rate in tournaments IIRC.

A-:
Just Vaporeon here. Stocks have definitely slipped on Vaporeon recently for being so passive, but it's still the best bulky Water-type in UU. It's just a good all-purpose wall that can hit back and has shown its worth especially in the VapNite archetype.

B+:
We have three very different 'mons in this tier. First up is Dodrio, which I think is pretty much consensus as being the third-best Normal-type attacker in the tier behind Persian and Kangaskhan. I love Normal-spam teams with Dodrio, it's just crazy strong. Up next is Venusaur, the most reliable sleeper in the tier (besides Hypno but Hypno is its own beast). It's been incredible to see Venusaur rise over the past year+ to solidly establish itself as a top pick in the metagame, especially when paired with Articuno (shoutout Volk). Then we have Electabuzz, who I have this high for its ability to be a valuable anti-lead (since everyone loves Tent) as well as come from the back. It pairs well with Aerodactyl (shoutout May) and even stuff like Poliwrath.

B:
I have Tangela and Haunter next, though Tangela is first because of double powders + sleep powder being more reliable than Hypnosis. Personally I like Haunter better, Tangela is too passive for me most times, but Tangela has been used effectively against me enough that I think it deserves the spot over Haunter. Speaking of though, y'all are underrating Haunter in my opinion. We were talking on Discord the other day about how it's one of the few things that can really switch into Kangaskhan's Body Slam and threaten it back right away so that's super cool. It doesn't take damage from Wrap and the ability to boom in a pinch is also nice. Put some respect on Haunter's name. Afterwards, there's Aerodactyl, a great answer to Dugtrio that also has some other cool utilities as an anti-wrap 'mon as well... if only it got Rock Slide ;_;

B-:
This is bulky waters: the tier: the movie lol. I have Dewgong ahead of the other two here in part because of my high opinion on Articuno. Articuno is so good but Dewgong is just a big FU to it, and it's not quite as slow as Omastar, who's still nice to have but... Dewgong's hard-hitting Blizzard and (in my experience) better survivability than Omastar gives it the edge. And yeah I'm giving Poliwrath a UU placement. I've always been higher on Poliwrath than most people (besides Sevi) but I'm putting it back in. It definitely has 4MSS and is kind of awkward to work with at times but with the testing I've done recently I like it for the ability to check both Articuno and Dugtrio as well as put something to sleep. This is just such great role compression so it gets a spot in B-.

C+:
I'm glad Hipmonlee told us to give Clef a look awhile ago because I think it's really shown to be a good part of the metagame. I think it's still a bit underexplored as a sleeper (I've tried but Sing is just a bit too inconsistent) but still, as a "secondary Hypno" as EB0LA once called it it's pretty good. Raichu is also neat, I brought it to a tournament game even, but it just doesn't have that >100 Speed that Electabuzz has. And its coverage in Surf is okay but how many times are you really clicking something other than TBolt/TWave realistically? It's cool to pair it with Dodrio though (shout out Volk again). Golem is cool on EB0LA's Clefable + Golem team but it really is hard to justify/fit on your team in most cases. I'm always a big fan of boom though. Finally, Raticate has proven to be annoying at times to deal with but it doesn't hit 100 speed, is hella frail, and faces a lot of competition from other Normal-types to really shine. Gotta mention Super Fang though as its main selling point.

C:
This is the rank where I would probably stop bringing these Pokemon to a serious tournament game, though you might be able to convince me in the right scenario idk. I don't have a lot of experience with Pinsir, but May has annoyed me with it before so it has shown that it can work. Just wish it had Wrap instead of Bind lol, it really does make a difference. Dragonair is funny when it works, but most times you'd be better off using something else that can Agility sweep. Venomoth is a faster sleeper than Venusaur and Double Powder is neat. I could see it being higher tbh but it just doesn't have a lot of offensive prowess. Maybe pac can do something with it since he seems to like it. Electrode is hella fast and can boom. That's about it. Most of the time it's not even worth it on double Electric teams and triple Electric is just lol. Moltres I could also see being higher, as it seems underexplored... but there's just so many Water-types in the tier to make it really worth it. Thankfully NU exists so it can shine there.

C-:
Reserved for the two 'mons that were D in the last VR but I think deserve a bit better than that now. Charizard has shown worth as a specialized wallbreaker but most of the time I feel like it's difficult to set up Swords Dance in UU, but maybe that's just me. EB0LA has played against me with Golduck a few times and it hits surprisingly hard after an Amnesia. But its speed really holds it back from making tooo much of a difference.

D:
I'm not 100% sold on the order here but here we go. Most of these Pokemon are usable, just there's something that does it better. Fearow is a worse Dodrio, for instance. Pair them together though and you can do some stuff. Blastoise gets squeezed out by the abundance of other Water-types in the tier. It's a decent mixed tank though. Kabutops gets Swords Dance but as I mentioned before its hard to set up SD and it doesn't have the Speed that Charizard has. Butterfree has a microniche as a lead but just use Venomoth instead. Nidoking has good coverage but it's just better suited for NU.

E:
Arbok you can use on some Wrap spam teams I guess? Eh. Magneton you think would be better with all the Water-types in the tier but it's sooooo slooooow. Nidoqueen is a worse Nidoking which is already bad. Scyther can't set up easily and has no coverage. Seaking is basically a meme but Agility sweepers do have a place in the meta, so yeah.

Hopefully we can get more discussion like this on the forums, I think it'll be beneficial for people to see when doing research about our tiers for stuff like UUSD/NUTeamTourII, etc. But yeah, that's my list and I'm sticking to it (for now). Let me know what you think

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Been watching on down time, or at least trying to based on me being pretty busy these days, the UU games in RBY PL. My ranks didn't change too much outside of a couple move arounds. These also are not ordered like some VRs do, they're just thrown in the subranks I believe they belong in.

rbyuurank.png

Just to preface, like last time, I didnt rank stuff below B ranks. These are normally meme picks that shouldn't be used on a serious team and in most cases very trivial/waste of time to discuss (barring Pinsir, Golduck, which I haven't seen enough to rank).

S: Nothing really new here. Far as this format I'm a big believer in that the person to lose their Hypno first is going to be at a big disadvantage due to its capabilities as being a great pivot, spread status, keep a lot of things like Kadabra in very good check. Learning when to preserve/sack Hypno I think is an underrated tool that only comes with analyzing/playing games in this gen. Tentacruel same thing, defines the lead metagame here, tier warps around its speed tier and Wrap, and other minor details based on set variations and opposing matchups.

A+: Same thing as last time, you always have an out in your game if one of these are healthy and these mons normally are the ones outside of specific lower tier stuff that will win you games, in most cases. They define a lot of the teambuilding beyond Tentacruel's presence and outside of Persian where Persian is more about preserving stuff to fight back near or at the end game.

A: Good mons that provide certain offensive or defensive utility that are appreciated by both higher and lower tier mons. Dragonite isn't A+ to me because of Blizzard being so common as coverage, and teams teching to keep it at bay with things like Toxic. It's still a good mon due to Wrap and some useful defensive traits like switching into Dugtrios EQ, being generally bulky. Tangela will always be better than Venusaur, due to its resistance to Earthquake from Dugtrio putting total control in the Tangela's user in this specific matchup and only being weak to one of the common offensive types while Venusaur is weak to both Blizzards and Psychics. Kanga is a great wall-breaker, its actually one of the better ways to make progress against bulkier teams for one of the A+ mons to clean up, assuming Tenta isn't wrap spamming you to death or you catch a paralysis. Gyarados similar to Kanga just sports more defensive utility in dodging Duggys EQs, bit more useful coverage options.

A-: General good support mons, either offensively or defensively. I personally think Aero has gotten worse or doesnt feel as good as before but it doesn't really belong in a higher or lower tier bracket. Haunter good for sleep and one of two viablish mons that can boom, the other in Golem, which is very strong as an offensive tool. Electabuzz a decent offensive staple one of a handful of picks in the lead metagame as part of the leads that threaten Tenta lead. Dodrio physically oriented version of Arcticuno utilized mostly in Normal Spams in conjunction with Persian to overload bulkier builds, wish it wasn't so reliant on paralyzing stuff to really win in some matches though. I've been putting Dewgong in a higher pedestal lately due to its ability to consistently keep Articuno in check, the other checks for Cuno which are pretty much the other waters are at the mercy of getting Frozen via Blizzard.

B+: Okay mons that have good utility just not great. Omastar good wrap pivot for opposing Tentas, check to Cuno when not getting Frozen sort of runs in a similar fashion to other Waters they just provide different defensive utility. As much as phoopes likes to joke about my support for Zard and the hot takes I have its unironically better than things like Venusaur and the stuff below its rank. To be paired with Paralysis and Sleep support so Hypnosis Hypno, Haunter, things to that degree on more offensive teams. Venusaur isn't really that good to me, at least enough to justify it over Tangela or doubling up on defensive waters which in most cases does a better job for your builds even if they do different things. It's useful for sleep and dodging Toxic I will give it that, the latter being important for mid-grounds against the normal Toxic users trying to catch Dragonite or Gyarados. Vaporeon to me tends to be one of the most crit prone mons but the complete neutrality to the majority of offensive staples is very useful defensively. It can feel like an A- mon any day of the week depending on matchup.

B: More niche stuff that have certain traits that could be useful for a team but not required. Golem part of the better boomer pair with Haunter but has somewhat terrible defensive utility outside of checking non bubblebeam persian. The other stuff I've seen a bit here and there and they have about equal viability to me, with Clef probably a bit better than all of them as explained in phoopes post above.

I don't think these ranks will really change too much outside of some of the meme mons eventually not becoming memes fortunately this format doesn't change too much in terms of the lines and sequences so loading things like samples and the same 2/3 teams over and over is actually perfectly viable.

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Been watching on down time, or at least trying to based on me being pretty busy these days, the UU games in RBY PL. My ranks didn't change too much outside of a couple move arounds. These also are not ordered like some VRs do, they're just thrown in the subranks I believe they belong in.

View attachment 382468

Just to preface, like last time, I didnt rank stuff below B ranks. These are normally meme picks that shouldn't be used on a serious team and in most cases very trivial/waste of time to discuss (barring Pinsir, Golduck, which I haven't seen enough to rank).

S: Nothing really new here. Far as this format I'm a big believer in that the person to lose their Hypno first is going to be at a big disadvantage due to its capabilities as being a great pivot, spread status, keep a lot of things like Kadabra in very good check. Learning when to preserve/sack Hypno I think is an underrated tool that only comes with analyzing/playing games in this gen. Tentacruel same thing, defines the lead metagame here, tier warps around its speed tier and Wrap, and other minor details based on set variations and opposing matchups.

A+: Same thing as last time, you always have an out in your game if one of these are healthy and these mons normally are the ones outside of specific lower tier stuff that will win you games, in most cases. They define a lot of the teambuilding beyond Tentacruel's presence and outside of Persian where Persian is more about preserving stuff to fight back near or at the end game.

A: Good mons that provide certain offensive or defensive utility that are appreciated by both higher and lower tier mons. Dragonite isn't A+ to me because of Blizzard being so common as coverage, and teams teching to keep it at bay with things like Toxic. It's still a good mon due to Wrap and some useful defensive traits like switching into Dugtrios EQ, being generally bulky. Tangela will always be better than Venusaur, due to its resistance to Earthquake from Dugtrio putting total control in the Tangela's user in this specific matchup and only being weak to one of the common offensive types while Venusaur is weak to both Blizzards and Psychics. Kanga is a great wall-breaker, its actually one of the better ways to make progress against bulkier teams for one of the A+ mons to clean up, assuming Tenta isn't wrap spamming you to death or you catch a paralysis. Gyarados similar to Kanga just sports more defensive utility in dodging Duggys EQs, bit more useful coverage options.

A-: General good support mons, either offensively or defensively. I personally think Aero has gotten worse or doesnt feel as good as before but it doesn't really belong in a higher or lower tier bracket. Haunter good for sleep and one of two viablish mons that can boom, the other in Golem, which is very strong as an offensive tool. Electabuzz a decent offensive staple one of a handful of picks in the lead metagame as part of the leads that threaten Tenta lead. Dodrio physically oriented version of Arcticuno utilized mostly in Normal Spams in conjunction with Persian to overload bulkier builds, wish it wasn't so reliant on paralyzing stuff to really win in some matches though. I've been putting Dewgong in a higher pedestal lately due to its ability to consistently keep Articuno in check, the other checks for Cuno which are pretty much the other waters are at the mercy of getting Frozen via Blizzard.

B+: Okay mons that have good utility just not great. Omastar good wrap pivot for opposing Tentas, check to Cuno when not getting Frozen sort of runs in a similar fashion to other Waters they just provide different defensive utility. As much as phoopes likes to joke about my support for Zard and the hot takes I have its unironically better than things like Venusaur and the stuff below its rank. To be paired with Paralysis and Sleep support so Hypnosis Hypno, Haunter, things to that degree on more offensive teams. Venusaur isn't really that good to me, at least enough to justify it over Tangela or doubling up on defensive waters which in most cases does a better job for your builds even if they do different things. It's useful for sleep and dodging Toxic I will give it that, the latter being important for mid-grounds against the normal Toxic users trying to catch Dragonite or Gyarados. Vaporeon to me tends to be one of the most crit prone mons but the complete neutrality to the majority of offensive staples is very useful defensively. It can feel like an A- mon any day of the week depending on matchup.

B: More niche stuff that have certain traits that could be useful for a team but not required. Golem part of the better boomer pair with Haunter but has somewhat terrible defensive utility outside of checking non bubblebeam persian. The other stuff I've seen a bit here and there and they have about equal viability to me, with Clef probably a bit better than all of them as explained in phoopes post above.

I don't think these ranks will really change too much outside of some of the meme mons eventually not becoming memes fortunately this format doesn't change too much in terms of the lines and sequences so loading things like samples and the same 2/3 teams over and over is actually perfectly viable.
Oops! All Spice (1).png

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
New Year; New VR. Everything is ordered. There's not really anything to say, because my thoughts are largely the same, I'm just I'm a little harsher on Water and Electric-types at the moment, and I'm liking and fearing Kangaskhan more as well. As usual, DNite is only in A+ because of AgiliWrap just winning sometimes. If it couldn't do that, it'd be behind Kangaskhan. E Rank is largely experimental stuff that hasn't really been tested or had enough success imo, but it has been used enough or works well enough to at least rank it. Also, Nidoking is really cool in the right matchups. It's a good late game mon against a slowed and/or flying team. You should all definitely be trying it out, if you haven't already.

my-image (1).png

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
done with uusd, have some exclusive takes

S
Tentacruel
Hypno

Self-explanatory

A+
Kadabra
Dugtrio
Persian

Kadabra takes 3 for me because of how hard it is to replace, it's just so nice into Tentacruel and nothing else can handle Tenta the way he handles Tenta.
Dugtrio is just very very strong, checks are hard to fit in and they all die after like a couple switchins. Electric immunity is super handy in generating switchin opportunities that other breakers don't have. Best breaker in the tier.
Persian is the only mon that gives it competition, and it's going to be better than Dugtrio against lots of opponents who don't play enough Haunter, but overall the Haunter mu is just too sad and Dugtrio doesn't have to deal with that kind of sadness very often if ever.

A
Kangaskhan
Articuno

Kangaskhan takes my next spot as the next proper progress maker of the tier, it has an extremely easy time making damage stick on enemy teams but the speed tier and lack of special bulk make it significantly worse than Dug/Persian despite Kang being potentially even slightly better than them offensively. Dnites are annoying but not the end of the world.
Articuno is just crazy in endgames, it basically 2hkos anything that isn't water type + has agility lol, super insane and i think a bit underexplored currently. Needs builds that set it up for success rather than throwing it on as an emergency Dug check.

A-
Gyarados
Dragonite
Vaporeon

Gyarados and Dragonite are only this high up because of Dugtrio, they're pretty horrific pokemon otherwise, but they get free turns on the best breaker in the tier so they're alright usually. Gyarados is decently hard to switch into and some teams especially struggle against it, but it's just a bit slow and pretty depressing against Haunter. I find Dnite is annoying moreso than powerful, non-APT sets are just kind of easy to handle and APT very often is just suicidal given how much people prep for it. Overall a worse pokemon than Gyarados because you will not find a team that doesn't prep for it, and it cannot be understated how much it fucking sucks in Tentacruel endgames.
Vaporeon is fairly underrated, occasionally it has a hard time keeping up with the pace of the tier but it's just a giant fucking stat stick and it always does something before dying (usually 'something' is forcing slam para on Tentacruel or Kadabra, which are both worth a lot). Super useful pokemon to have, not once have I regretted having him in my 6, was considering bumping him above the two Flying-types even.

B+
Haunter
Omastar

Haunter is insane, stopping Persian is SO good and the Tbolt is genuinely annoying for some teams to handle. Kinda shit into Dugtrio and should not be relied upon as your only sleeper, he's a Persian check that can also occasionally sleep things really. Dugtrio MU sucks and holds him back a lot, but the emergency boom option is there when that shows up.
Omastar is just really handy, you turn your Vaporeon into an APT / Persian check instead of a Dugtrio check, it's a very neat option to have in the builder though it will only come in on specific teams. On builds where he does fit he's absolutely great.

B
Tangela
Venusaur
Dewgong
Aerodactyl

Tangela and Venu are both "sleep something and die" types of mons. Venu speed and damage output are both alright but I much prefer the Stun Spore and Bind utility from Tangela, given that in most cases they will both greatly struggle to be much more than sack slots after getting off their sleep powder. Neat mons for certain builds, they achieve tempo gains in very unique ways, but generally not the best unless I really need the exact thing they're offering. (I suppose they switch into Dugtrio a couple times too, which is neat.)
Dewgong is very strong but just kind of worse than Vaporeon a lot of the time. Fuck you button for Articuno is not a great niche when Articuno isn't exactly running the tier.
Aerodactyl has some very unique niches - speed tier, Dug check, pp stalls Wrap, interesting into Kangaskhan, murderer of Dodrios, sometimes dangerous as a breaker if the Double-Edge crits start rolling. But overall it's just not that good, doesn't deal enough damage and isn't reliable enough defensively to be as good as it sounds on paper. I want to like it but I just don't really like it.

B-
Dodrio
Electabuzz

Dodrio is just very hard to justify when three other physical breakers sitting at ranks 4/5/6 exist, he's unique enough that sometimes it makes sense to use him but those use cases are realistically very limited, special bulk and weakness to boltbeam both are super awkward, and running into a rock when you have Dodrio is just fucking miserable.
I hate Electabuzz with a passion. If you're not already running Kadabra you should never touch it. If you are running Kadabra, then you're looking at Tent / Hypno / Kadabra / Electabuzz, which means in 2 slots you need a Dugtrio switchin and a Persian switchin and a Kangaskhan switchin and a Gyarados switchin and possibly an APT check. You can cover some of these things but you will be vulnerable if not outright weak to others. And what's your reward for exposing yourself to such dangerous defensive instabilities, you ask? Well of course it's a funny electric man who is OHKOed by Thunder Wave and cannot click its STAB safely vs Dugtrio teams. Viable antilead against somebody who never leads Hypno, if such a person exists, and literally nothing more.

Nothing else is currently viable.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Had an amazing time in UUSD with Big Man Amaranth, shoutouts to him for handling me in some dark hours during the tournament as well. Absolute star, love the little duo we have going. Now, hopefully we get put on the same team for the Ubers Winter Team Tour...

Anyway, you're all here for the VRs because, as is tradition, RBYers have to make VRs every second of the day whenever a tour is over.
my-image(10).png

Now a lot of people know I'm more liberal with my VRs and like to go "well you can use this but also don't" so here you go.

:tentacruel:S Rank:hypno:
These Pokemon are mandatory and should be on every team. Tentacruel defines almost every game state while it exists and the tier is effectively warped by its existence. It's come to be appreciated by many as a part of the tier's identity thanks to the almost balanced game states it brings, though. Hypno is the best defensive piece the metagame has to offer and its support repertoire is something to behold.

In regards to Hypno, I think the best (and arguably only) set is Psychic / Seismic Toss / Thunder Wave / Rest. I strongly dislike the Hypnosis variants as any move it drops for it often leaves it seriously weakened and vulnerable to exploitation by Pokemon like Kangaskhan. I've seen people argue for dropping Seismic Toss for Hypnosis time and time again but it consistently underperforms; it either ends up missing and taking serious damage or being sat on by Kadabra.

:kadabra:A+ Rank:dugtrio:
Kadabra is very nearly mandatory but I have gone "Kadless" with success quite a few times without feeling at a disadvantage or being laughed at, so it goes here. Very, very strong Pokemon that ensures Tentacruel doesn't shank you in your sleep; it also has amazing utility in general that gives it a variety of ways to be played. Kadabra + Tentacruel endgames are very good and something you should be playing for.

Dugtrio and Persian are tied in my eyes: they do similar things, hit fast and hard, while making Tentacruel sweat for once in its goddamn life. Although, when it does sweat, it's normally looking like this:

Anyway, Dugtrio has the all-valuable Electric immunity, crits every 3rd move, and makes non-RBYers very upset. It's a nightmare to switch into and mandates every team to carry at least one or two Pokemon - one of which is normally a Flying-type - to make it think before it clicks Earthquake. This is what separates good UU teams from bad ones and is also a part of why Haunter and Electabuzz struggle so much right now.

Persian is Dugtrio if it was honest about its intentions when it hits the field. That is, critting every time and securing endgames from what is honestly not that much progress. It just hits so insanely hard to the point Haunter remains a viable choice. I can't count the number of times I've just put this on a team and seen it immediately succeed, it's deceptively flexible.

:dragonite:A Rank:vaporeon:
Dragonite is still a pretty amazing Pokemon and I use it on a lot of teams. I think people tend to undersell the non-APT sets without really using them effectively. The point of Dragonite is the fear factor: it can absolutely secure a game on its own, and you're forced into predictable plays because of that. Regardless, it is experiencing low tide in the metagame right now and I do think it is poised to continue to drop, but maybe it won't. We'll see.

Vaporeon is still great and continues to get underrated by players who don't value its amazing statline. It is undeniably the best bulky Water-type, and you usually need at least one on your team, so it will frequently be the one you pick. However, with the exploration of alternatives - namely Omastar and Dewgong, plus Poliwrath I guess - it won't always be the one for you, so make sure you make an educated guess.

Kangaskhan is a destructive force and the best progress-maker that isn't in A+. Why isn't it A+? Too slow, terrible Special, smells funny. A lot of people use it with Persian and I think it's starting to get an undeserved "second Persian" reputation: discard that, because it absolutely isn't, it's being used wrong if you're using it that way because it's what enables your special attackers so consistently. Kangaskhan paves the way, everything else follows.

Articuno is just a big brutal nuke. Like Amaranth's post says, don't use it as a Dugtrio check, use Gyarados or Dragonite if you need a flier that does that. Or Aerodactyl, Aerodactyl is pretty nice. Maybe Tangela. Just not Articuno, it takes a Rock Slide and squeals really loudly.

Gyarados is another big ball of stats that takes unreasonable amounts of punishments and somehow strikes back with the exact same force, even if it's over multiple turns. It struggles to get an opportunity to land hits sometimes and occasionally has to switch in and eat a hit though, both of which are severe issues. However, unlike other Pokemon that can't really make up for it, Gyarados does, because it's Flying-type, hits hard, and has great coverage. It's a Water-type that beats other Water-types (except Tentacruel sometimes) thanks to Thunderbolt and that's neat.

:dodrio:B Rank:tangela:
These are all kind of B- to me but they seem a cut above so they're here.

Dodrio just struggles to distinguish itself from Persian and Kangaskhan, but hoo boy is it a menace. It hits harder than the others, flies over Earthquake, isn't solidly checked by Haunter, and has Agility for good measure. I think many of the people who use Kangaskhan as a "second Persian" actually mean to use Dodrio, because Kangaskhan is outsped and slept by Haunter while Dodrio can Drill Peck it. Oh, and if you let this thing get Agility off, it will probably win. Give this Pokemon a shot if you haven't already, I think it's gonna rise.

Yeah, yeah, it lets in Dugtrio, shut up, I don't care, it's fine. Just boom the cunt if you're so scared of it switching in: if it does that successfully, Dugtrio just isn't going to sweep, and by the time it's coming in on this boom, you've already slept something: Haunter has done its job and done is flawlessly. If it matches into Persian - which isn't often coupled with Dugtrio due to the defensive fragility of that core - it's solid. It has amazing highs, terrible lows. Oh, and if it misses Hypnosis, it gets punished seriously hard, I hate that so much.

Tangela exists.

:omastar:B- Rank:dewgong:
Omastar and Dewgong are Vaporeons that are quirky and help you fine-tune yourself for certain matchups. Omastar helps against Normal-types (sort of) and tends to give Articuno a hard time, while Dewgong has a better Hypno matchup, quad resists Articuno's Blizzard, and has its own strong STAB Blizzard, thus fitting better on offensive teams. They are very good and all Dewgong deniers will get the wall. I remember when people said Dewgong was somehow irredeemable against Dugtrio? Amazing how far we've come.

Aerodactyl is a cool albeit shaky Dugtrio check, and also has a crit rate to rival god, allowing you to rob wins. It spreads burns really well with Fire Blast too, which is nice, since it often lands them on crucial targets like Kangaskhan, Dugtrio, Articuno, or Dragonite. I greatly value its Wrap defensive utility but people hang me when I say that so let's move on.

Electabuzz and Venusaur exist.

:clefable:C+ Rank:poliwrath:
Clefable is cool and phoopes wants it to rise but I don't see it. Resistances are shaky and it's in a tier where Hypno and other Normal-types often fulfill what it wants to do. It does do this in a single slot, but replacing these slots with a Clefable sucks, so...yeah. It's kind of redundant a lot of the time despite what it can bring to the table, I dunno. It's solid enough to be C+, it's just that viability drops off a cliff from B-.

Poliwrath misses Hypnosis and dies.

Raichu is amazing at 100%, terrible at any other because literally a single Tentacruel Wrap tick puts it in Dugtrio Earthquake range. Using this Pokemon gives me immeasurable amounts of anxiety in every game state and I think most would actually have a heart attack.

:golem:C Rank:pinsir:
The mythical Golem copium team has yet to arrive outside of a dumb lead that was used in RBYPL and did not stick at all. I swear down that this Pokemon should have stayed in unranked, but people seem to think it's ok, so I guess it can stay here. It seriously feels like theorymon and the people who use Golem always seem to be using it to prove a point rather than for something competitive.

Pinsir is cool, I've pushed this Pokemon a lot and I think it's something you can use unironically, unlike Golem, since unlike Golem it actually brings something to a team: more partial trapping and a neat Dugtrio check. Anyway, if you need more info, read the Pinsir analysis! I wrote it!

Charizard is really neat alongside Persian since it beats everything Persian has trouble with. I did want Amaranth to bring it in RBYPL and he did like it but not enough to use it. Here are two teams that use it, try them out for me! One even has Hypnosis Hypno for the little gremlins who eat the forbidden fruit.

:raticate:D Rank:electrode:
Raticate is very nearly C Rank for me, but it's just...outclassed. If it gets a Super Fang off it's really cool but Persian also deals 50% to like half the tier, so it feels kind of unnecessary a lot of the time. I don't understand what holds this Pokemon back in every tier, even NU...it shines so well when it works, but most of the time, it's like a fart in the wind.

Electrode can Take Down -> boom on Dugtrio and that is the sole competitive use Take Down has ever had, so it gets a pass from me for effort. Otherwise, it's, err, a Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave bot. That's cool, right?

Moltres is a functional Pokemon that, like OU Victreebel, is amazing until you realise it misses. Then, you get haxxed and die. Also, you see all those high-ranked bulky Water-types? Unlike Charizard, Moltres can't even muster up the fart in the wind that is Raticate's existence when faced with those, it just finishes spontaneously combusting like the fiery rubber chicken that it is.

Sandslash is cool if you're a Golem denier that wants to use Swords Dance. This is actually pretty solid, since on those mythical UU paraspam teams, it would probably actually work. The problem is, they're myths.

Venomoth is the fastest user of a reliable sleep move in the tier, the problem is it has to contend with Venusaur. Regardless, it also outspeeds and serves as a good sleep sack against Venusaur, so it technically wins more matchups and will achieve about as much as Venusaur otherwise would anyway. I just wish it had Razor Leaf.

Dragonair is a crayon chewing APT Pokemon that, like Golem, is almost solely used to prove a point, that being "APT is problematic outside of Dragonite and should be banned". A noble endeavour, but it's never seen consistent high-level success for a reason.

Golduck uses Amnesia and dies.

:blastoise:E Rank:porygon:
Blastoise is a very highly specific bulky Water-type that compresses some of Poliwrath (sans Hypnosis) and Vaporeon's roles into one, while not having a Psychic weakness. This is cool, and if you're like me and don't want Poliwrath to miss Hypnosis and die to Psychic, you use this and then question what you're doing with your life. I think this Pokemon will find the team it needs to be on eventually, and I look forward to it, it's a very interesting Pokemon that warrants a better look. This could rise to D, maybe C...

Porygon works in theory since it can switch into Kangaskhan and Recover stall it. Then, you look at the rest of the tier.

Scyther clicks Slash and is faster than Tentacruel. Then, you look at Persian, go "hey it's immune to Dugtrio Earthquake", get hit with Rock Slide, then hit X.

Fearow apparently works with Dodrio but I have never seen the team nor game it actually worked in, so I think Sevi or Volk gaslit me, it was one of the two who said it worked. Call me.

I used Rapidash once and it kinda worked but it was in a really cosmic sort of way. Here's the team, I forgot the strain I used when I made the team though. It was like, middle of last year when I made this.

Nidoking and Nidoqueen are ok until you realise their Blizzards can't OHKO Dragonite, thereby making them setup fodder for APT. Then you try using Toxic feeling all smart and see that their damage isn't quite there. Then you delete the team you made for them and never look at them again.

Inmundo likes Mr. Mime.

Machamp deals damage and that's about all I can say about it.

Arbok can Glare Dugtrio.

Sevi 7 likes Seaking.

Lusch likes Butterfree.

I want to test Kingler and Kabutops cus on paper their Swords Dance stuff may be kinda neat. Not used them properly but I know Sevi had a bunch of ideas for at least Kabutops once. Maybe I'll build with them sometime.

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Figured that as the RBY UU Invitational Host, and with a solid showing at UUSD (4-4 losing only to Top 6 players while beating Torchic and phoopes), it would be a good idea to share my RBY UU VR. My thoughts are overall a similar mix of Amaranth and May's, but with a couple differences like Raticate.

my-image(43).png

• My S-A3 is almost identical to Amaranth. I value Persian higher than Dugtrio, as while Persian's poor MU (Haunter) is a lot less playable/good than Dugtrio's poor MUs (Dragonite, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Tangela), Dugtrio is also going to run into at least one of these (sometimes more than one) in like every game. I also rate Dragonite over Gyarados, due to more set diversity and therefore unpredictability (AgiliWrap is also the cheesiest way to win in the tier even if it's kinda bad rn that's always a plus).
  • I agree with May and Amaranth that Haunter is very good. Being the main Persian cockblock, a sleeper, and having a nasty TBolt as well are all excellent traits. These combine to give you a Persian, Dragonite, Gyarados, Vaporeon/Omastar/Dewgong, and Venusaur check in one mon that also has Boom. That's very good. I am going to go with May over Amaranth when it comes to Dodrio, while it is hard to justify it does have enough valuable traits (especially since I rate Haunter highly and think Grasses are still relevant) including Agility that it puts a lot of work game to game when used. It is a weird mon though, I get where Amaranth is coming from. Finally, I like Electabuzz. It has simple offensive utility that I value, like no one is misunderstanding why I would like it since its a simple mon so I'll leave it at that.
  • I feel sad since I still enjoy the mon, but I'm calling Venu the lowest UU mon. It tends to not achieve the promised offensive pressure compared to Tangela, and the other B2s have a lot more unique traits. It still helps to make Special Offense a viable archetype, as Art + Venu cores are scary, but I value Tangela's access to Bind and Stun Spore more.
  • Poli - Clef are standard picks, as y'all know thanks to UUFPL I also like Raticate.
  • Golem is a serviceable Counterpick Pokemon on paper that doesn't get to be used that much. Pinsir, Charizard, Electrode, and Dragonair are all Pokemon that could see solid use in a tournament setting.

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
230E9596-B9A0-49E0-B246-635A1C154E6F.jpeg

• In every game I had, Kadabra felt mandatory to keep an offensive psychic healthy. If the opposing Hypno got full para’ed against Hypno v. Kad MU, I’d switch my own Hypno in. The way I see it, Kadabra felt it works better mid-game when Hypnos are resting and Duggy/Persian has taken a lot of damaged.
  • Persian > Duggy for being more favorable against Gyarados and Tangela and takes neutral damage to surf/blizzard rather than get OHKOed by it.
  • Dragonite will ravage the team and I hate being forced to run toxic in at least one of my pokemon to prevent it from wrapping all over the place. Non-AgiliWrap sets have also been great at being self-sufficient as a bulky attacker that can be even more frightening offensively.
  • Cuno nukes everything until it gets blanked by Tentacruel/Vaporeon/Omastar.
  • Kanga is a bully and I hate when i click earthquake with my own kanga it goes for body slam instead :(.
  • Gyarados isn’t as passive as Tangela when it comes to checking Dugtrio and has a super offensive movepool to tinker with.
  • Haunter isn’t uncommon but still is not common, and Aerodactyl can be worn down crits/repeated slashes. I tend to use Persian over Duggy as it beats Gyarados rather than loses to it like Duggy. Dragonite almost always forces Duggy to get KOed even if it gets poisoned; been liking non agiliwrap sets as well.
  • I like using Dodrio more against leading Tentacruel; the threat of body slam para and its high speed tier makes it threatening on all fronts, and drill peck to smack grasses is also nice to have.
  • I like using Haunter as a way to stop Persian and it takes special hits better than I thought. Also awesome for absorbing random toxics and blanks non Earthquake Kangas. E buzz is also legit for better taking status to keep kadabra healthy and possesses better matchups against waters.
  • Aerodactyl is super nice against duggy and who also doesn’t like to fight crits with critS? Who also wants another wrap absorber as well? What pains me is how it needs double-edge to progress.
  • Clefable compresses status inducer and has boltbeam + slam coverage to make it effective as an attacker. Great bulk and makes it as a bulky status absorber. Does have a lot of competition but does the jack of all trades, master of none parts excellently.
  • Raichu surf w/o crits doesn’t even OHKO duggy. Also is slower than buzz and it‘s hard to fit agility in.
  • Thought About using Mime as a way to keep hypno/Kadabra healthy but didn’t turn out the way i wanted to.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well everyone else is doing it so I may as well:

UU tier list 1-16-22.PNG

Thoughts are going to be short this time I think

S: Tent and Hypno. Duh.

A+: I'm a Kadabra truther now, it deserves its own tier. Look at its usage rate, that should really explain it. It's that good, just not quite the level of mandatory as Tent and Hypno.

A: Up next are the three best physical attackers. Persian has a bad matchup against Haunter, but other than that it's fire. Khan is a little too slow to rank it ahead of Persian. Dugtrio is behind both of them for me because there's more stuff that can switch into its attacks. Next up are the best Agility users. Dragonite is more versatile but I find that it chokes more often than Articuno, so this might just be a personal feeling but I take Articuno lol.

A-: I've fallen in love with Vap recently. It's just so beefy and it's one of the few things that I can actually manage to wake up from a Rest. Gyarados is good, don't get me wrong, but I find it a tad underwhelming. Like a jack of all trades master of none sort of.

B+: Even though Dodrio has competition from Persian and Khan and gets walled by the Rock-types, it's still powerful enough to warrant a spot this high. Haunter stocks are high because of what's already been mentioned.

B: Venu and Tangela: I value Sleep Powder a lot. Venu gets the edge because it has more of an offensive presence and you can use it as an anti-Hypno lead. Next are the Rocks. Omastar gets the edge because it doesn't mind paralysis as much and I think it just has better matchups overall.

B-: Electabuzz stocks are falling since I feel like there's no reason to use it as a lead anymore, or use it without Kadabra. Dewgong is hard to justify over Vap or Omastar as a bulky water but it has its niche.

C+: I put Poli in UU in my last tier with but I've played with it a lot since then and it's just not as good as other bulky waters. I made that long-ass post about Raichu maybe being better than Buzz but I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet. Clef is okay but it has a lot of options for moves to run. Maybe if someone figures out the ideal moveset for it it moves up.

C: I want Golem to be C+ soooo bad but it's so hard to fit onto your teams. If you play it right though it can put in work. Raticate is just okay: Super Fang is the only reason it's up here.

---

I could talk about some other stuff like Golduck or Dragonair or Charizard (to name a few, not a complete list) but I feel like everything else is not worth using in serious games. Or if they are it hasn't been proven yet.

Hi! I was planning on doing this post for a long time but between a lack of time for being busy IRL and a lack of motivation to do anything pokemon related I have been struggling to find the time to sit down a write this. I'm planning on taking a break from mons and leave discord sometime later this year so I thought I might as well share my personal VR here just in case I'm not around for the update scheduled to happen in September/October.

I would have posted these earlier but I didn't want to do so before getting more experience in the December ladder and RoA Spotlight tour. Something I'm now confident I did pretty well:
ratio.PNG

That said as anyone that tried that ladder knows the average ladder players during the time were far from the knowledgeable players you will find on the average tour. I would say in average 3 out of every 5 games were very much free :psycry:.

Shoutouts to Torchic for beating me on every single game we played! As well as the decent players that were around a lot like Mikon and Sevi 7. :swole:
And shoutouts to newcomers like whoever "Gambler Keegan" and "Flame of Flareon" were, They did very nice experimentation and let me see odd pokemon like Electrode and rest Haunter around, and sometimes got me good by playing Tentacruel-less teams that caught me off guard and swept me because they had something else instead of Tentacruel as the last pokemon. :trode:

With all of that out of the way lets get on with:
S :tentacruel: :hypno:
A+ :kadabra: :dugtrio: :dragonite:
A :persian: :kangaskhan: :gyarados: :articuno: :vaporeon:
B+ :dewgong: :tangela: :venusaur:
B  :haunter: :omastar: :dodrio: :electabuzz: :aerodactyl:
B- :poliwrath:
Order doesn't matter a lot at this point.
C+ :clefable: :pinsir: :raichu: :golem: :raticate: :charizard:
C  :electrode: :venomoth: :mr. mime: :fearow: :dragonair:
C- :golduck: :moltres: :sandslash: :kingler: :kabutops:
I completely stopped caring about order.
D or Lower :blastoise: :nidoking: :nidoqueen: :butterfree: :magneton: :arbok: :seaking:
Unrank :scyther:
I don't feel like wasting your time too much on these, anything that can be said has already been said outside of some niche sets that might not even be worth your time tbh.
:rs/tentacruel:
I'm a big fan of the standard set and will almost never drop rest in favor of keeping it as a more solid pivot and articuno counter. With that said I do think both blizzard and rest are droppable on it (Though if you drop blizzard you better compensate for it with something like a faster-than-Dragonite blizzard user, Or Haunter/Omastar in the back): never drop water stab and wrap.
Swords dance + Hyper beam is good but you can't be as aggressive with tentacruel as with the rest set, Instead keeping it in the back as a solid wincon. Tentacruel's natural critical hit rate hurts this set a bit and I've lost games to landing a critical hit with hyper beam and to Arbok to make it worse, I got PTSD from this :psycry:
Barrier + Rest I feel this set is not being advertised properly. While I agree it can be used as a lure to Dugtrio, Dugtrio is very infamous for its critical hit rate and getting past its checks with them. On the other hand dealing better with Articuno and physical attackers not called Persian has its merit, And I think this set has its place on some team structures. I don't think this is better than just using standard + another pokemon that checks physical attackers better like Omastar, Tangela or Vaporeon though.
Swords dance + Rest has a niche spot since it lets you set up on the tentacruel mirror and deal extra damage with wrap while still letting you heal from paralysis. You can still pivot out of Dragonite and Grass types so I think its worth a shot.
I'm not a fan of ice beam or hydro pump but some like them. I believe hydro pump has potential but its too easy to stall out with a opposing bulky water or tentacruel. Ice beam seems like an even worse tradeoff, Not OHKOing dnite while encouraging tentacruel to engage in very risky freeze wars seems like a L/L tradeoff in my eyes.
Toxic has good synergy with wrap but the common switch ins are: Fast attackers like Electabuzz, Kadabra and Persian, Who will love to be immune to paralysis; And Tentacruel or Haunter, Who are already immune to Toxic in the first place. Not recommended.

:rs/hypno:
Hypnosis is kinda bad, Try to use other sleepers instead. If you have luck with it then its very much worth it but most of the time that sleep will miss or go to a psychic type that can just sleep off your barrage of psychic type attacks; Always pair hypnosis hypno with dragonite or physical attackers that will make the opponent regret trying to burn that sleep turn off. I've seen some players drop rest on hypno so you can have hypnosis + seismic toss + thunder wave + STAB on very offensive teams, That set its indeed worth exploring on HO but too risky for balance or BO teams IMO.
Sleepless teams are more viable than hypnosis hypno teams the 40% of the time the move misses (Even bigger odds if your hypno gets paralysed, And that will happen a lot), Then again I'm one of the few players that think Sleepless teams are viable in RBY UU in the first place, so maybe that doesn't mean much.
Counter is a nice tech that could be used against someone that spams persian and other normal types too much (You know who you are ❀). It can also catch off-guard seismic toss users, giving you a change to bring in a physical attacker on the recover/rest turn your opponent might go for (Keep in mind this will only work well 1 time in the whole game, After that it gets mindgame heavy). Spoiler alert: This move is better used on another psychic type.

I've seen other choices like body slam or even body slam + meditate, I don't recommend them.

Unlike other people I think dropping one of the S ranks can work. As a matter of fact, thanks to bad paralysis rng and turn 1 freezes you can find a lot of replays featuring "Tentless" and "Hypnoless" teams. But just like in many other tiers, Openly avoiding using any of the S ranks will give you a team that is far less consistent than what is standard.
RBY UU is more dependant on RNG than RBY OU and RBY NU, I think this is something most players of the tier can agree with. Between every time you risk missing wrap, Every time you find yourself switching in on a turn where your opponent might not rest and use thunder wave or attack instead; And paralysis vs paralysis being the main way psychic types deal with themselves the tier finds itself being more about managing odds and taking risks than other RBY tiers. Something that makes it very tough to rank some pokemon in the A Rank is that the difference between their best with luck and their worst with luck is huge (Yes, I'm mainly thinking about the dragon, And the dug to a lesser extent).
For the sake of simplicity I decided to lean into ranking Luck reliant mons higher than their more consistent counterparts because they cannot be underestimated in the builder. If a crit or a paralysis on the wrong turn is all it takes from them to go from manageable to banworthy then I'd rather stay on the safe side. Its true that Dragonite can be considered less consistent than something like Articuno (As long as you prep for it, No way you just remove toxic from persian and blizzard from water types in a team and get away unscathed if a dragonite sets up). But something to keep in mind is that the viability rankings are some of the first things new players look at while trying to learn the tier, And I believe respecting the dragon is part of the starting knowledge players should get.
:rs/kadabra:
Everything that can be said about this mon has been said already. Its physical frailty justifies dropping it in favor or other pokemon in some team structures. Far from a mandatory 3rd adition on a team but probably the most safe pick if you don't have it and need a 6th pokemon for a team.
:rs/dugtrio:
Tangela makes it look like a toy. Outside of that matchup you are pretty much taking a risk every time you switch in anything against it. Don't use hyper beam. Slash is its best move against tangela, Outside of that matchup toxic + substitute can deal with anything else really. I would use Earthquake and Rock Slide 100% of the time. Body Slam is worth using.
:rs/dragonite:
Pack a move to status or OHKO it on every pokemon in every team, You will regret not doing so the instant it sets up on you. Some pokemon like Omastar and Haunter let you get more creative with your sets, But force you on specific team structures because of the weaknesses they add to the table. The only reason this pokemon its not seen as threatening with some its because they prep for it on every team and developed the skills to avoid giving it any free turns to set up, A pokemon deserving that much respect can't really be ranked lower than this tier.
Because of how much standard teams and players prepare for it and how unreliable agility+wrap can be I rarely use this pokemon. But if you feel you are worse than another player and want something that can get you a lot with a few clicks (Ok wrap is a lot of clicks, But I mean the single agility click), Or are a sadist that wants to get as much as possible out of your opponent doing a single missplay this is your mon.

None of the pokemon in this rank are forced, And Kadabra is the only common sight. Dugtrio and Dragonite in particular are dropped sometimes in favor of more flexible or consistent pokemon.
:dp/persian:
Take Dugtrio: Remove the weakness to Tangela (Now its Haunter instead, Who is less consistent/harder to fit on a team) and remove the thunder wave immunity; But also increase the average damage output and give it good coverage vs pokemon that resist its STAB. This pokemon is a monster that can result on 2x1 trades or be an amazing wincon in the lategame. Arguably A+ worthy, The vulnerability to paralysis makes it a bit more manageable IMO.
:dp/kangaskhan: :dp/gyarados:
I feel these 2 are on a similar power~consistency level, With Kangaskhan being far harder to switch into and probably being the only pokemon with no clean switch ins on the tier, While Gyarados is less threatening offensively but still hard to switch into and provides some extra defensive backbone by having a better matchup vs dugtrio and some special attackers.
Kangaskhan has a bit of a 4MSS of Toxic vs Rock Slide vs Counter, If you have Dewgong (And to a lesser degree Omastar or Vaporeon) on your team feel free to ignore Rock Slide; Only use counter on teams that are weak vs normal types; Don't raw switch into a persian or kangaskhan if you have counter, if they choose to scout for it or they get low rolls you will be losing that trade or be even at best, just sack a pokemon to bring it in full instead.
Always use Blizzard on gyarados.
:dp/articuno:
If you ever ask for advice for building in this tier you will find this is one of the pokemon more experienced players will say you must have a check for (The other is Dugtrio, Dragonite must be checked by the whole team). Thankfully (Rest) Tentacruel easily covers that role on all teams. That said, All it takes for articuno to get past tentacruel is a single double edge critical hit on the right turn or freezing it with blizzard on the switch. It does not always happen but; When it does, If you don't have any other answers on your team this pokemon can easily sweep you. A great lategame wincon.
:dp/vaporeon:
The star bulky water of the tier. It has amazing matchups vs many of the pokemon in the upper ranks. The other bulky waters sacrifice some matchups this pokemon has to perform better vs some other matchups but at the end of the day this is the most solid choice and has the best ratio of positive/middle ground matchups of all of the water types in the tier.
:bw/dewgong:
I don't see a big viability gap between Dewgong and Vaporeon, And the few matchups that get worse are easy to cover. I know I'm the odd one here but this post is meant to show my opinion and this is what I think. It makes articuno look like a toy and the extra offensive pressure is nice.
:bw/tangela:
Makes dugtrio look like a toy. The growth set should be dropped to an "Other options" mention in the analysis, Its very hard to use and its easy to handle for most teams; Not only does this keep it away from inexperienced players that will not pull it off but will also increase the little viability the set has via obscurity. I'm a solid believer of Tangela>Venusaur. The combination of ground resistance, + learning stun spore and bind make up for the lack of good offensive grass STAB; And the lack of psychic weakness makes tangela fit on more teams. Sleep powder can disable a pokemon in the opposite team unless the opponent does unorthodox plays like letting you paralyze a Dragonite or a Haunter to deal with your grass types. That is enough of a niche in itself. I believe this pokemon has some room of experimentation with dropping a redundant paralysis inducing move (Don't use body slam + stun spore) in favor of rest sets to handle physical attackers better.
:bw/venusaur:
Venusaur is to Tangela what Dewgong is to Vaporeon IMO. Maybe the gap is not as big but its very much a similar relationship. Razor Leaf and the better speed tier are nice but the extra psychic weakness and lack of ground resistance limit the team structures it can fit into. The lack of stun spore makes it less reliable vs some pokemon.
:bw/haunter:
Makes Persian and Dragonite look harmless and huggable (They already look huggable to be fair). Hard to fit into teams because of the weakness to ground and psychic. Hypnosis sucks and I have lost some games that I would have won if I had clicked explosion instead, But sleep is too good to not use when you have the chance; And enabling hypno to use seismic toss is great. Psychic + Thunderbolt will give you better coverage than any use of night shade outside of psychic types and it can be argued that the paralysis and drop chance are more useful. This pokemon has tons room of room for experimentation with moves like toxic, giga drain and rest. Haunter its a nice lure to psychic types: Explosion OHKOs Kadabra on the switch and gets hypno into the range of being finished off with many physical attackers; And on a pitch it can tank one non-critical hit stab psychic to do either. Haunter is a mon of extreme matchup fishing, In the matchups where it finds itself vs pokemon it hard counters it shines, In the matchups where it finds itself with no positive matchups it can only gamble hypnosis and explode vs something at best.
:bw/omastar:
A bulky water that plays in a very different way when compared to the others. The lack of water resistance and ground weakness forces it to very specific structures but the solid matchups vs Dragonite, Articuno and Dodrio cannot be understated. More reliable than haunter but arguably inferior advantage/disadvantage ratio when compared to a solid hypnosis + explosion trade. Its the best Dodrio counter because it does not mind body slam paralysis (Not really a normal type counter because Kangaskhan tends to run earthquake and Persian can run thunderbolt).
:bw/dodrio:
The strongest physical attacker on the tier, Unfortunate speed tier holds it back. Its very strong as long as it doesn't find itself vs rock types. Since It doesn't provide as much defensive utility as other offensive pokemon and it only speed ties tentacruel it will find itself being sacrificed to break holes in a team most of the time instead of being kept as a lategame wincon. Dropping agility in favor or toxic to hit dragonite and/or make wrap lethal vs Aerodactyl or Omastar is an interesting option I think its worth trying out.
:bw/electabuzz: :bw/aerodactyl:
Anything that can be said about these has already been said on the thread.
:bw/poliwrath:
Hard to justify over all the other water types but the combination of great physical bulk, water type resistances and hypnosis give it a solid edge over other options below. Not a fan of submission or amnesia sets but they can be a thing I guess.
After this point how much I'm willing to say drops drastically. High level players rarely bother with these and will not care a lot about what I say, And low level players are better off trying the more consistent pokemon as they learn the tier.
:bw/golem:
Good enough to be featured on a sample team. I feel people haven't talked enough about it in this thread but the analysis covers it very well. Hard to switch it into anything besides predicted electric moves, But once it gets in it can force heavy damage. Sadly most of the time this just means fishing paralysis with body slam or exploding to ko the desired switch-in, You will rarely get much out of it if you blindly click earthquake or rock slide. Nice explosion lure vs water types. Very hard to use compared to anything ranked above it.
:bw/clefable: :bw/pinsir: :bw/raticate: :bw/raichu: :bw/charizard:
May already covered many of Clefable's options in the thread, The strenghts of Pinsir and Raticate are already covered in some RMT threads. Got nothing to add really, All of them are solid. The comparison phoopes did between Electabuzz and Raichu Increased how much I value Raichu, The gap was a bit bigger before. The Charizard team AM shared is not the best build with it IMO but I find the strenghts AM sees in it as very much true (A bit overrated on his VR IMO).
:bw/electrode:
Fastest pokemon in the tier, Highest critical hit rate in the game, Explosion. Rather dumb lead that lets you click thunder wave vs any matchup and also lets you scout early if the opponent has a ground/grass/ghost/rock type. The mindgames between the Electrode user thunder waving and using a few thunderbolts or exploding right away had made me lose or heavily chip some of my pokemon in a few ladder games, More scary than some people give it credit for.
:bw/venomoth:
You might want to consider dropping mega drain and use double edge instead to hit psychic types better, Sleepers are good and while I don't think one is needed on a team this is the better non-hypnosis non-grass type one.
:bw/mr. mime:
Mr. Mime
Ability: No Ability
- Psychic
- Counter
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
Take Electabuzz and replace the better speed tier with a Psychic resistance and a better special stat. The physical bulk is better than Kadabra's (It can even live a Dodrio hyper beam if you have full hp!). Of all the psychic types this is the only one that can afford to use counter without feeling like it misses out on anything meaningful. Desired interactions include thunder wave trade vs a psychic type lead, Using seismic toss and then countering a seismic toss, Vs Hypno you can just seismic toss again for a KO, Kadabra just dies by the counter. With this opening line now being made public by me I'm sure doing so now will become very hard but when it works its great. Since now hypno will rest early or psychic and Kadabra will try to recover you can keep clicking seismic toss or bring in something like a kangaskhan or a persian and start applying great offensive pressure. It can afford to thunder wave any lead matchup besides a tentacruel that chooses to stay in and chip you with multiple wrap uses (Very risky thing to do and not worth it). Not weak vs sleep leads, speed tying venomoth and handling venusaur well. Getting slept is a positive in my mind if it means your hypno can now be intact thanks to sleep clause. Hard to justify on a team when Electabuzz and Kadabra exist, As a matter of fact my only teams with it (excluding 2) involve using triple psychic + Electabuzz. But its far from useless. Less reliable than Electrode and Venomoth but more interesting than whatever is ranked below it IMO.
:bw/fearow: :bw/dragonair:
The Juniors.
:dragonair: If you like to use agility + wrap (I don't). Dragonair can be worth it, Unlike Dragonite it can survive 1 hit of most blizzards in the tier and while the damage is lower as long as you get lucky you can land a lot of damage. Best case scenario your opponent gets desperate enough to pp stall it and that will reveal a lot of his team. Worst case scenario you now have 2 mons that struggle vs Haunter/Omastar/Aerodactyl.
:fearow: Dodrio + Fearow instead of any other normal type or even other pokemon is just very hard to justify tbh, not a fan of it. Still a better pick than most of what is below.
:bw/golduck: :bw/moltres:
Like articuno these pokemon can just sweep lategame if you take care of bulky waters and tentacruel, Unlike articuno the defensive utility they provide is very little or very negative. Moltres shines vs matchups where tentacruel is the only water resist. Golduck shines vs matchups where tentacruel struggles to switch in (Paraspam and Kadabra + Electabuzz in particular).
:bw/sandslash: :bw/kingler: :bw/kabutops:
Just paralyze tentacruel and all of these can set up and start wreaking some havoc, hard to justify over pinsir and options that require less set up.
:bw/scyther:
Its just not worth it when compared to other normal types and sword dancers, Or even just random pokemon with good coverage like Nidoking.

Last edited:
so ive finished 4 sets in pacinvitational, decided id post some things, even tho i likely still have more set(s) to play but also i think most players in the tourn know how i see a lot of the metagame anyway lol.

hypno and tent #1-2, apparently im the only player who sees hypno > tent but i think its close and i dont rly care about the order at this point

~ persian #3, kadabra and dugtrio #4-5:

i think persian > dug is now a view held by many players, tho idk if anyone else has persian above kadabra.

in terms of persian vs dug, slash both hits harder vs neutral targets, and resists/immunities j arent as common or as good. dodrio gyarados and dragonite (unordered) are all pretty common, all easily force duggy out esp if they switch into eq, and most importantly are all quite difficult to switch into, at best u have to rely on prediction and otherwise u are losing a mon.
on the other hand @ persian checks, omastar tends to be quite passive, if omastar misreads then either persian stays in on a weak body slam and gets an almost free tbolt on oma, or tent comes in on water or ice move which is harmless outside the freeze chance. and even with a correct read, persian can take safely take one hit from omastar, and oma is still relying on the para chance for bslamming a tent switchin. not to mention the tier’s other common water types (vap gong and to a lesser extent gyara) which fear very little from omastar.
golem doesnt have much usage rn anyway but it is 2hkoed/crit ohkod by bubblebeam and can only ohko persian with explosion, so it isnt massively in golem’s favor in the way that dodrio/gyara/dnite are favored vs dugtrio.

haunter is ofc the biggest persian counter, but in reality outside of hypnosis haunter doesnt actually threaten persian that much and isnt that hard to switch into either, especially considering that haunter exploding on eg a kadabra switchin would open up persian. persian giving haunter sleep chances can to some extent be avoided by not bringing out persian too early.
and persian’s ability to eg 3hko hypno means that it also can be used as a midgame breaker / rest breaker if needed, something dug really cannot do. and persian’s ability to take any one hit whenever needed, sometimes even two hits, is v useful as well.
rest haunter might be a bigger problem for persian, i havent seen rest haunter anytime recently so idw to speculate but i def think that is a tech to consider.
dugtrio has the twave and tbolt immunity, however the tier’s best twave users except kadabra do well vs dugtrio anyway so its pretty hard to actually take advantage of the former. the uu electric types arent very good, but electabuzz threatens body slam anyway while electrode outspeeds and kos with explosion after any chip damage; imo the tbolt immunity is most useful vs haunter on a dugtrio + persian team.

@ kadabra, kad is certainly very good in uu particularly as a tent response, i do think it sometimes looks better in the builder than it actually is tho, and ultimately its weakness to every physical attacker is almost always going to be a liability at some point in a game.
for example, even if kadabra gets the chance to freely click its strong and fast psychic, almost every team has a physical attacker faster than kad so sacing something against kadabra and then bringing in eg your persian is often a perfectly fine way to respond to it.
the fact that persian specifically does 78% minimum to kadabra with slash is an issue as if u dont run either haunter or a rock u will inevitably give persian free turn(s) to click slash, while if u run haunter or any non-aero rock alongside kadabra u start to open up a dugtrio weakness.
uu teams run out of the six pokémon slots very ‘quickly’ and as much as kad does offer, dedicating a slot to a mon that is weak to physical offense and also doesnt provide physical offense comes at a significant cost.

~ kangaskhan #6, articuno and dragonite #7-8, dodrio #9

i think almost every uu team should run either kang or dodrio (if not both), almost nothing matches their midgame breaking ability. (persian can potentially fill this role but using persian too early risks giving haunter a free turn to click hypnosis, and in general using a late game threat for this isnt great as some key defensive mons (hypno and dragonite) have thunder wave.

kang has had high usage for a while now, drio had high usage in lcq mostly from me and pokemonisfun. dodrio has its advantages tho due to speed and power. the tentacruel speed tie specifically is a big deal, a full health dodrio can threaten to ko tent from 60% with hyper beam even without winning the speed tie (tho dodrio often has better things to be doing.) even tho omastar walls dodrio on paper even omastar gets worn down sometimes without making much progress either due to its passivity, and honestly oma bothers kang as well (on hyper beams, as well as forcing kang to click earthquake).
golem however is a huge issue for dodrio, whereas kang doesnt care, if golem usage comes back dodrio can drop but as of now i cannot place it below #9.
and ofc dodrio also has its well known endgame use, as well as being a good lead but i dont want to focus on lead dodrio rn bc thats not rly the point @ why i rank it this high.
kang > dodrio largely bc of its great physical bulk, which gives kang favorable matchups vs basically every other physical attacker in the tier, but dodrio is very good (in all of lead, mid, and late-game) and there are plenty of teams where i will choose to run dodrio and drop kang for various reasons that arent about wanting an agility endgame. even putting aside lead dodrio, agility certainly is good but drio is already fast and i largely only click agility when there is a clear endgame sweep (or if im way behind and need to go crit fishing lol).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1uu-613884
this game is an example of dodrio doing ‘midgame’ things that kang cannot do nearly as well, bslam koing both hypno and kadabra from a higher range than kang could, and later the tent speed tie taking away the option that ‘would have existed’ vs a kang of taking damage on it to bring it into tentacruel range (tho this game was prob over by that point anyway but i j mean in general)

articuno varies a lot by matchup but normal spam is very good rn, and articuno is probably the single best counterpick to normal spam. dragonite checks both dug and persian, partly @ persian due to the agiliwrap threat lol, but even ignoring agiliwrap its a good defensive mon, nothing else remotely checks both dug and persian except tangela which is passive af, and kangaskhan and clefable but clef is v borderline as a dug check esp since clef doesnt 2hko dug with body slam. and ofc unstatused dragonite can wrap hypno.

this is where id end A rank. i will edit this post ‘in the future’ to add thoughts about B rank stuff

B ranks

~ vaporeon and gyarados #10-11

vaporeon has that amazing statline, only water never 2hkod by the (non-magneton) electrics and is even a roll to be 3hkod by haunter’s thunderbolt.
checks normals (and dug) pretty well, tho it lacks dewgong’s ohko on dodrio and guaranteed 2hko on kang, and ofc checks articuno. while it is checking normals clicking body slam is very high risk tho as it does almost nothing to them, while tent can come in on its special moves except for the blizz freeze chance and then wrap. even if theres no go-to matchup vs vap, tent pivoting at minimum lets the opponent freely choose which mon to let vap get damage on.
being slower than hypno, particularly hypnosis hypno, def matters early game, less so later on.
i think the vap vs gong gap is very small, honestly i could even see gong above vap but since i dont use either of them much and the consensus at least rn is clearly gong > vap i am sticking with that.
when using vap i think taking advantage of its ability to stay in and basically 1v1 electrics and haunter is very important, this something that other waters really cant do. it also means that (at least once sleep clause is active) vap can click body slam without worrying about haunter gaining momentum if it comes in for free.

i think gyarados is rly in a rough position right now, defensively it is not at all good vs persian, and its best chance to wallbreak is against opposing dugtrio which has dropped off in usage at least somewhat. it is also struggling a bit in teambuilding because running gyarados + persian ‘tends to be’ very haunter weak.
as a wallbreaker, it just isnt as good as kangaskhan or dodrio, it does have the ability to switch into vap and oma reasonably well, it doesnt switch into dewgong tho and kang being sm better vs persian honestly is worth more @ any defensive utility. so i dont think using gyara instead of kang is rly ever a good option.
then theres also that it cant fit all five moves, tho i do think dropping hyper beam is usually fine, and that its wallbreaking is much more dependent on prediction to the right moves compared to drio/kang which can mostly just click stabs.
id maybe consider dropping gyara even further tbh but thats prob premature.
also it is a reasonably good lead fwiw, blizz for venu, hydro for good damage on hyp, forces out lead kadabra with its good special bulk and strong bslam.

~ haunter #12, dewgong venusaur and aerodactyl #13-15, omastar #16

the lower B ranks are largely the matchup fishers, i tried to keep these all short lol.
haunter is *the* persian counter, but it also severely obstructs aerodactyl, gyarados, and venusaur, only the last of which is easy to check in other ways, ofc it comes at the cost of a big dug weakness, and a less severe kadabra weakness. it also in practice is weak to dodrio.
it is not really a good sleeper but its defensive utility can sometimes get it a free turn to click hypnosis, particularly the turn when it is first revealed so choose that turn carefully. its not exactly an offensive threat, but isnt passive either.
i could also see it above gyara, but ill put it here for now.

dewgong was discussed as a vaporeon alternative before. other than losing a few weird things like vap switches into kadabra better (esp on stoss), they are very close. vap can definitely burn rest turns better tho.

venusaur is the only serious 75% accurate sleeper faster than hypno, its ‘fast’ sleep combined with the threat of razor leaf means venu has the potential to get a significant edge early game if it can get sleep. however if venu doesnt get sleep ‘quickly’ it can get sleep blocked, and most teams will naturally have a grass resist so even assuming it gets sleep effectively it might not do as much beyond that as one would like. the dodrio and articuno mus are particularly important weaknesses that it brings.

aerodactyl is at its best vs dugtrio teams, dug is easily forced out by aero and even tho aero doesnt exactly hit hard, without haunter or a rock type it is not a mon u can j switch into over and over again, esp as rest has gotten harder to use / easier to punish.
but against teams without dugtrio (or also pinsir), aero can often find itself without anything it can rly force out, and then its lack of power rly is a problem. its persian mu is ~ok~ but not great. its needs kadabra below 50% to revenge it with dedge. u can still ‘find something for it to do’ eg against kang or dodrio, aero is completely crippled by para tho so these mus are generally coinflips at best. also, kang and dodrio often come out earlier than duggy, so it can be hard to figure out whether to bring aero in against them, or to preserve it for a potential dug in the back.

i think the best use of omastar is to try to switch into hyper beams and then get big damage on the recharge, all the hbeam users except potentially gyarados are rly threatened by omas attacks. ofc this requires some prediction.
otherwise, i think its j very passive, even if it gets matchups it is looking for like dodrio, dragonite, or aerodactyl it usually is a bit too easy to switch into and also depends on hitting a switchin with the right move. combined with that it is probably switching in on bslams itself (if it fails to switch into a hyper beam), the ‘reward’ of bringing oma against the mons it checks just isnt that much. while if it gets a bad matchup omastar can be struggling to find something to do (tho almost all teams rly should at least have a kangaskhan that omastar can annoy to some extent). oma is a matchup fish that truly does cover a number of matchups, but it j doesnt actually help ~that much~ when it gets its mus, except ig an agiliwrap dragonite that successfully setup. also, tho to a lesser extent than haunter, it adds an additional dug weakness. so while i think it is solidly uu, it is at the bottom of the tier for me.

C ranks

#17 clefable, #18-19 electrode and electabuzz, #20 tangela

(idk if this is rly the right place to draw the tier line, not going to focus on that).

clef is another mon i rank very highly compared to other players, certainly it is a step below the other normals but its very effective and there are a number of good reasons for using a teamslot for it. its excellent special bulk allows it to trade hits with special attackers quite well, and is a solid switchin to weaker special attackers such as electrics if needed. unlike kang which can j be 2hkod/crit ohkod by tent’s surf, clef even at half health forces tent to lock into wrap and risk taking a twave if wrap misses, same as hypno. it 2hkos kadabra with bslam and again doesnt rly fear psychic crits or drops due to its special bulk. it doesnt 2hko dug with bslam but still has a very good dug matchup, allowing it to generally be able to click twave freely. as the only viable bulky mon with access to both twave and counter other than hypno, it can come in on persian and threaten either to do huge damage to a switchin with counter or to cripple persian with paralysis if it stays in.
it should not be used as a team’s sole normal type, its physical attacks fall between gyara’s and dnite’s in power level which isnt rly enough to be a team’s primary wallbreaker, but it can ‘back up’ kang and/or dodrio, or maybe persian.
since i know teambuilding with clefable has been a question for some players (when/where do u use it), i typically use clef on physically offensive teams, where its special bulk is very useful, but without giving up offensive presence or momentum like eg vaporeon does, and without the type weaknesses of either dragonite or gyarados which an offensive team doesnt want to have to deal with as they lead to a loss of momentum. clef for example does not have the weakness to articuno that basically every other uu physical attacker has.

trode is probably just the best electric in uu rn but it doesnt have enough usage for me to put it higher than this. as far as the dugtrio mu goes, take down into explosion kos, but obv trode is fishing for groundless mu. even grasses can only take so many tbolts, pair it with a razor resistance to not repeatedly lose momentum vs venu. tangela is passive af so giving it free turns doesnt matter lol, also tangela cant pivot anymore if it takes twave.
the rest of the tier rly doesnt like taking stab tbolts esp from that crit rate, and revenge killing trode is obv not possible. electrode + dodrio is horrible into golem but have good synergy vs pretty much everything else in terms of what trode offense can look like.

buzz is kind of bad, has to click body slam a lot vs dug teams, so its just about as prediction reliant vs dug as trode is, and vs dugless trode is basically just better. being slower than persian and physically frail sucks (tho buzz is not as frail as kadabra lol). still there arent that many electrics and buzz sees enough success and usage.

tangela is another mon i rly dont think is good, yea on paper its a great dug check and ok v persian, however this plus its low speed means that unlike venu itd usually rather wait a bit to get sleep, after coming in on a physical attacker. but by then it can often be sleep blocked, and yea bind means it doesnt lose momentum from being sleep blocked, but it cant actually make progress either bc once tangela is bind locked opponent can do whatever they want lol so there is no real pivot advantage. i see this in game after game and even if like tangela predicts the sleep block it can… click mega drain for 5% recovery or double switch lol. to be fair stopping dug’s momentum several times is worth something, but not ~that much~ lol, esp when other dug checks have sm offensive presence. and its obv weak to ice anyway, most tangela teams would be better off with dnite instead and j deal with relying on (restless) hypno for sleep.

#21-22 poliwrath and golem #23-24 raichu and pinsir #25 charizard #26 moltres #27 magneton

golem can be explored more, after haunter its prob the biggest mu fish in the tier, dodrio and to a lesser extent aero teams can be quite weak to it, tho its ofc crippled by burn from aero and rly doesnt want to switch into a paraslam from drio either. kang is everywhere rn tho and can switch into golem pretty well which limits its ‘ceiling’ at least somewhat. like aero it has the issue that if opponent hasnt revealed a drio or aero yet, u have to evaluate whether to bring golem into say a paralyzed hypno’s twave which effectively means giving up on the potential matchup it was fishing for to begin with.

poliwrath is a water type w hypnosis, outside of hypnosis its outclassed even by blastoise honestly lol. there are some things it rly doesnt do well enough as a water imo, the persian mu is rly a problem unless u run submission which is hard to fit and tbh is mediocre anyway, kang mu isnt great either and submission doesnt even help there, both issues are bc of polis bad special stat, these are not mons u want a bulky water to struggle against bc theyre among the biggest offensive threats in the tier. then its also weak to drio’s drill peck lol. basically the only offensive mons its good against are dug and aero, in the current meta that is not that useful. the only thing sort of interesting to me is being able to switch into omastar or dewgong from a dodrio lead or something which hypnosis hypno cant do very well, this mon is j not worth it.

raichu is j worse than electrode in any matchup except vs golem teams, which are likely to be very weak to raichu lol. if golem gets significant usage raichu can rise, but its kind of stuck being ranked under golem since that mu is the only real resson to use it. (tbc raichu can still be effective outside of that mu, its j outclassed).

i used to like pinsir before aero’s rise on phys offense, but rn the aero weakness is generally a bigger issue for normal spam than the benefit of pinsir’s ability to check dug.
i do not agree at all that pinsir is outclassed by dnite and should only be used alongside it, pinsir hits much harder w slash, and lacks the 4x weakness which as noted before offensive teams dont want to have to deal with esp since they already tend to be weak to cuno. however it is very hard to justify over kang, and certainly i would never use it insted of persian, the speed tier and paraslam immunity are way more valuable than bind.
however, the mon can work, unlike raticate which rly has no purpose with all the better normals present it does have a niche of some better matchups than eg dodrio due to bind, i think probably it should j be limited to ‘mu fishing’ against players who dont rly use aero / hope u guessed correctly that they dont bring aero. @ moveset personally i prefer dropping sd in order to fit stoss to trade with haunter as well as to run both bslam and slash bc para fishing can still be useful in many situations even tho pinsir’s bslam isnt very strong (same power as gyara’s), but i know many/most players prefer the swords dance set.

others can comment on zard better. as for moltres, its rly hard to justify over cuno, while using both opens u up to weaknesses. molt does have the speed tie with kang and ofc the burn chance so even for rs kang that is way more uncomfortable than the cuno mu, eg if kang loses the speed tie and gets burned its rly bad and molt can even setup on it at that point if it wants. molt also has the higher attack vs cuno but that is undermined by being weak to water and ice, also isnt walled by dewgong which is more important. so i dont think molt should be unranked but it def struggles.
magneton isnt exactly bad but the problem is if u are matchup fishing for dug-less then u have better options, haunter and electrode. offensively, trode is generally a bigger threat to dugless, tho magneton does have some advantages such as grasses checking it poorly, while if u are choosing magneton for its bulk allowing it to take on normal types, u likely may choose haunter instead, since it walls persian and outspeeds kang, tho magneton is obv far better vs dodrio. and ofc if u dont get the mu fish, trode and haunter will do much better. mag is just barely rankable for me and i def get why some ppl wouldnt rank it.

other (weird) stuff like poliwhirl or golduck, and prob one or two other mons i cant remember, im not going to bother with here.
(butterfree and venomoth are dumb and i will never rank them lol)

Last edited:
Played a reasonable amount of UU against a wide variety of players to the point I can probably give an opinion on this. I thought probably the best perspective I could give is how good some of the lower pokemon are in in UU given I probably have more experience than most rocking up into UU with NU pokemon.

my-image (1).png

S - Most is self explanatory, Tenta rules the tier, Hypno is the backbone of the tier.

A+ - Nothing switches into Kadabra well except Hypno, forces out Tenta well, weakness is it is exploitable on forced recover turns and has piss poor defences giving opponent momentum. Persian/Dugtrio are the two main big critters of the tier, Persian less threatening but less checks, Dugtrio more threatening but has at least one strong check every team.

A- Kang kinda just hits pretty hard, pretty hard to get in and trade with due to its bad special/no resistances so you can get chipped. Cuno Blizzard is a nightmare to deal with if Tenta is out of the picture unless you have like a dewgong or something. Vap is just the best water wall due to amazing stats, you can kinda get away with running rest on it as well which not many pokemon (including those that do run rest currently) can, gyara is kinda when you want something to do everything, like a worse vap that checks dug at the same time etc., some teams need that. Dnite another overrated mon because of agiwrap but that does give it a dimension that sees it in the A tier, you see this overutilised despite horrible ice weakness just cause dugtrio is a monster.

B+ The three heads pretty good mon, hits hard, crits, nothing really can switch into it well, can win speed ties with tentacruel or para it in early mid game leading to opponent losing, no defensive utility. Haunter bad pokemon but switches into wrap and persian, gyara and aero well so in the context of the tier its good. Omastar is not really a water in that it isnt a water resist, but can switch into normal physical attacks whilst still sponging Cuno so it holds that value, obviously youd rather it resist water too. Tangela switches into Dugtrio and a few other mons, venusaur has an unfortunate ice weakness and no eq resistance, I guess I value the defensive presence more than the offensive one for sleepers. Aerodactyl is kinda a meh mon due to its horrendous movepool and rounds out B+ just by virtue of respect from the rest of the community who probably know better than me, I'd rather use other pokemon as a dugtrio check personally.

B- Gong kinda is just there, not as tanky as vap but does come with freeze immunity and extra matchup security vs Cuno, Id only really run on cuno weak teams. I have the three electrics here in this order, I think they obviously hate dugtrio coming in on electric moves and to a lesser extent tangela. I rank them based on what they can do in multiple matchups, I think Buzz can threaten Venusaur with Psychic and the better speed tier is valuable. 105 vs 100 is not big, but I value the consistency of knowing certain lines in matchups such as tenta/dodrio when these pokemon can risk speed tie vs. raichu which gives more routes for the opponent to consider and being able to have the option to win the tie with kadabra. Electrode is the most powerful of the electrics due to critting more, being faster than persian, dugtrio, aero and kadabra is valuable in the endgame. It has no coverage but then if you are clicking something that is not tbolt or twave, whats the point of using an electric and not something else. Can just boom on bad matchups, nothing except Golem really walls it well in the tier and Golem isnt a thing. Poliwrath the last of the tier, I don't have much more to say that isn't said by others.

C+ - Where you start getting into NU mons that are good in UU. Clef mostly been talked about above, same with Rat. Charizard I think is underrated and can sweep through teams and a lot of meta teams are pretty zard weak. Egg is a mon I've used a lot, switches into a lot of things and gets off the sleep, switches into Hypno too, which is a trait unique to sleepers, offensively useless but then so is tangela.

C- - Too many waters for fire bird but it is powerful, Dnair is just wrap cheese, you can potentially put in work with SD sweepers but they generally have glaring defensive weaknesses which make them easily revenge killed, Moth I think is pretty good, unfortunately Kadabra and to a lesser extent hypno exist which wall all day.

D - Golem I think can find usage, its hard with the meta as is. Yea Seaking kinda sucks since tenta exists, even if you can freeze tenta you probably got another mon to deal with, Mime unfortunately is bad too since you might as well just use the best two psychics.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
S: :hypno::tentacruel:
A+: :kangaskhan::persian::articuno:
A: :kadabra::dodrio::dragonite::dugtrio:
B+: :dewgong::vaporeon::haunter:
B: :venusaur::aerodactyl::gyarados::tangela:

Spent most of UUFPL helping Shellnuts with scouts for his game when I could and since our season is over I'll go ahead and put this up. Not going to go really too in depth relative to others nor care too much about orderings in specific subranks the ways other do. I agree with jouean above that Hypno is better than Tenta, for the personal stance that you can run games without Tenta but not Hypno, yes aware this is quite the hot take but "shrugs". The A+ mons are best mons imo below Hypno and Tenta and contrary to the dorks hating on RBY the gen (though it has its moments), this tier is very easy to just click click and Kanga/Persian are big facilitators of that, Articuno is better now cause lot of the normal spam structures which tend to be weaker to them. I'm always dead serious when I tell people it'll take you 3 games to get the hang of the format, to at least play it without feeling totally lost, which isn't a bad thing and makes format fun minus Wrap moments.

The A mons are good mons not totally sold on Dodrio being super high up with Kanga/Persian simply cause you can definitely trade in a lot of instances to mitigate its damage output, still very strong where checks and options are out in the late-game. The other mons are good as well but they're usually better on paper than in practice and shine in specific lines/scenarios. Eventually the Kadabra leads are going to die out, they lowkey suck but anything that can spread paralysis will normally be good and its still the mon that plays a factor in Hypno being as good as it is.

In all serious once you start hitting this B+ or whatever equivalent other people have/going to make you're picking 1 maybe 2 mons out of it and running all the A and up stuff. They're good for different reasons but in most cases you're using them for some sort of defensive utility as opposed to the offensive ones the better ones provide, like Dewgong with the normals so Articuno doesnt fold you, or Haunter for sleep/boom, cover Persian better.

B mons here have specific uses but not going to sugarcoat, either I will never run them in a game that matters or I will run them in a game that matters and completely regret it. Some are usable but im definitely being nice with the grasses cause they're highkey unviable rofl. You're more likely to see them in a normal game though so I'll just leave them there.

If it's not listed it's either unviable, usable but requires lot of team support specific or opportunity cost with something else, or are mons to meme with. Things like Blastoise, Charizard, Clefable, Sandslash would fall under something like but again never a need to ever bring them.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
So after Unowndragon's incredible performance in UUFPL II alongside some of the crazy, demented teams we made together, I bet you're all chomping at the bit to see my VR. Well, do I have the stuff for you!
bing bong.png

If you're not convinced, then wait until AgiliWrap ends up getting the ban hammer; you'll probably see this VR make more sense. Generally, I don't fear it at all, because not many people actually play with it, and I think I've got the "how to stop it" stuff down pat. That's a big part of why my VR is structured the way it is.

C+ was a difficult rank for me to nail down. I consider those Pokemon to be quite firmly good, but just shy of hitting B- by like...an inch, give or take. I think C is also quite close and that's partially why you see Raichu and Poliwrath below, there's a weird conglomerate of viability there. I wasn't sure if this was UU or NU at all. Eventually, I realised that the problem isn't the strange viability levels, but UU itself, and thus I believe it's time to begin the process of dropping Tangela and Omastar.

So if it helps, you can see A Rank on here as an S- of sorts, but I firmly believe S should always be for "mandatory" Pokemon, sort of like a "God" tier. This is why I may "underrate" some Pokemon in other's eyes.

S: Alright, here are our superthreats.

Tentacruel remains the face of the tier, dictating every facet of the game to the awe of many. You already know what this does, but I do think people are starting to see its flaws. The biggest flaw is that Tentacruel sucks in a flat 1v1 against much of the top threats, with Wrap being inconsistent and most resisting Surf. This obviously isn't always the case - Tentacruel is the best Pokemon in the tier - but I do think its podium is a bit shakier than it has been the past couple of years.

Hypno is great, but I think it's beginning to show its cracks and people should start exploring sets a bit more. The standard sets are beginning to be better understood by players and thus exploited more effectively, but that also means that players are realising how easy it is to stay in and go to town with Hypno. Regardless, Hypno dictates offensive play in the tier and demands that you bring more than one Psychic resist, so it's mandatory and thus S-rank. I think that as the meta progresses, Hipmonlee's old takes will continue to rise.

A+: Kadabra has definitely formed a Big 3, it's hard to not bring it these days. It's not the typical "You use this or Electabuzz" thing anymore, Electabuzz has kind of become its partner on a deranged team style I, unfortunately, had to spawn. I think a lot of people have thought this for a while, and I'm just now coming round to the opinion myself. It's a difficult conundrum for sure, given a lot of my earlier teams went "Kadless", and I still do drop it sometimes. I'm interested in seeing where this trend goes because, as it stands, I don't know how to solve it. Given some teams still drop this and see success, it's going here. It's 90% usage, not 100%, and my standards for what's S Tier are exceedingly high.

A: One of these should be on your team and chances are they will dictate how the rest of your build will go.
I was very, very close to putting Persian in A+. It's easily the most splashable Pokemon the tier has to offer. If you have a 6th slot that doesn't need to be an Articuno check, chances are this will be what fills it. Persian will fix any offensive team you have and all it'll cost is a Haunter check. AeroHaunt teams (how does that team I made in 5 minutes still pop up today btw?) are very capable of staving this beast off but that's what the rest of your team is for, and the reward is just winning the game sometimes. If anything in this tier needs a suspect test after AgiliWrap is gone or than like, sleep, it'll be this thing. It's insane. I think RBY UU is reaching a critical mass of Normal-types that make defensive play a bit too difficult to use successfully, and Persian's sheer damage output is a big part of what's allowing this to happen. I know someone will strawman me with "but you'll just replace it", and, well...yeah, that's the point. My thoughts aren't too developed on this right now, but I'll definitely make a big post about potential suspects down the line! It's a big nitpick in an otherwise fantastic tier for me.

Articuno is incredible and the main reason you find yourself forced to use one of many bulky Water-types. Omastar and Dewgong are the few Pokemon keeping this thing from destroying the tier on its own, and you should treat it as such. And no, Tentacruel does not stop it. Depending on how the Persian trends go, maybe this could also hit the chopping block eventually. I doubt it, though. You've all seen what this demon does.

Dugtrio has dropped off by quite a bit these days but I honestly think it's because people keep thinking they can drop Rock Slide. You're letting Gyarados in, dumbass! Drop Toxic and double it out when you're baiting in Dragonite or something, or do the simple thing and not use Substitute at all until Dragonite gets put back in check. Dugtrio will sometimes just crit your entire team and leave you without much you can do, or just be a clean end-game maker like Persian. The main difference is you mega lose to Articuno for this, while with Persian, you can at least fight back. Douglas McTrio remains an extremely strong threat regardless though, it's just...very good at what it does. End-games involving this Pokemon are just as suffocating as Articuno ones. A few of the newer faces really don't respect this Pokemon, but with time, they'll get their wake-up call. Or maybe they'll blame it on crits, lose to the crits again, and the cycle continues.

Dragonite could honestly be put in B+ but I think you'll all kill me if I do so it's sitting here. Y Ddraig Wrap is a strong utility Pokemon that's also one of the biggest tiering nightmares in Pokemon history. By existing, you have to put Toxic on a lot of Pokemon, lest it decides to win the game because AgiliWrap is extremely threatening. Otherwise, it's basically a Gyarados with Thunder Wave, Wrap, and a fuckton of diversity, which is just fantastic. Just remember that it's got all the Gyarados issues, though: very dangerous weaknesses, easily worn down, etc. I think people should experiment with alternative Dragonite sets more, it has a lot it can do for a team. Don't be afraid to drop Wrap or Agility, and you'll see a lot of cool stuff come out of it.

A-: You're good, but not "A" good.
Kangaskhan is usually used alongside Persian these days and I don't think that's right, the roles are very different. I'd wager this is actually the best Persian check if people just run Counter, but I think this will only happen if AgiliWrap is chucked out as people continue to fear God. Kangaskhan is the best Rest punisher in general in my personal opinion and I think it's got a bright future as people start revisiting bulkier team styles. It's still not quite up with the rest in my opinion almost solely due to Speed, which makes it a bit difficult to position sometimes.

Gyarados is the best Dugtrio check in the tier, but it also comes with the issue of being worn down too quickly. Ergo, you'll sometimes see it being forced out for "no reason" in the eyes of the opponent...but you need that bulk. This is why I'm putting it here rather than besides Dragonite, as it can't just Wrap out of iffy matchups or land a clutch Thunder Wave. Regardless, this thing is a battering ram and deals wonderful damage, so it demands a lot of respect. If it comes in for free, the damage it leaves in its wake is usually enough to win. This Pokemon is insane.

B+: Solid, but just that.
Vaporeon is the most consistent of the bulky Water-types and is thus the most splashable. However, it is fairly generic, lacking anything to give it that allure that people like. However, this doesn't mean bad, it's just boring. It's great at trading hits and doesn't go down without a mighty effort from multiple Pokemon, so expect this to do a lot for any balance team you place it on. Its usage is way lower than it should be. It's like Hypno, only its Thunder Wave has 30.1% accuracy, and its Psychic is resisted by half the tier.

Lead Dodrio users are gigachads. I like the uptick in usage this bird has experienced for the past several months, it deserves it. It hits as hard as Snorlax and by existing, you're basically holding a gun to Kadabra's head. Being able to check for Counter while dealing STAB damage is great too. The Speed is just shy of what would be ideal, but clearly, it doesn't care. It will still land that one annoying crit and win from there.

Venusaur is the best sleeper with reliability and it comes with the bonus of checking all those pesky Water-types. Leech Seed being there for Wrappers is amazing too, but people keep forsaking it for Toxic! I get why, but also consider that it's more consistent! I think the main problem it has is that Dragonite is just the best sleep sack available for it...Venusaur just kind of sits there doing nothing while that's the case. This is just another reason I like Leech Seed, though. I think Venusaur could experiment with Swords Dance a bit.

B-: Mini-Mes for the above
Electabuzz is better than people give it credit for but I know it's the face of "it gets paralysed and dies". Definitely a Pokemon that's huffed a lot of copium but this thing is just God when paired with Kadabra. I think this is on the verge of finding the perfect team, but it's so weirdly divisive that its progress in this department is stagnating. I guess it just doesn't do enough damage.

Dewgong is fantastic and a good substitute for Vaporeon on offensive teams that don't need as much bulk. STAB Blizzard hits brutally hard and it also trades with Articuno favourably, and these two traits are what have catapulted it in usage. It's weird that this had to be argued for so much in the past, but I am happily placing it here for a long time to come.

Haunter is in a weird spot where it's the best Persian check by a long shot but also tends to miss its Hypnosis and die. I think it'll eventually find its footing - and it definitely seems to be in the process of doing that right now - as the traits it has definitely made it a UU Pokemon. It's just inconsistent, and that's ok...we've never used the Ghosts for their consistency anyway. People profoundly overrate this Pokemon's vulnerability to Dugtrio, but if that worries you so much, just use it with Gyarados. It's quite good there! You have a team, use it!

Aerodactyl is amazing at spreading burns and making Kangaskhan and Dugtrio angry, and that's what's kept it UU. Quasi-defensive teams like AeroHaunt use this Pokemon sublimely well as it's got this strange blend of traits that make it decent offensively, but also weirdly good defensively in reference to Wrap. I think people underrate its defensive traits by quite a bit and think it'll start seeing Rest variants if AgiliWrap goes away.

C+: Cool beans - these could all be UU depending on how you want to make the UU cutoff, but I think people will string me up for saying B-, and I'm too grizzled for it. Besides, I think the viability dynamics change a bit.
I'll get to Charizard in a bit because the people I've talked with clearly don't get it.

Pinsir is really cool and my opinions keep rising. It's a great Ground resist and actually fits on teams in this tier, unlike in NU where it often finds itself a little short. It just so happens that Dugtrio is dropping Rock Slide right now, and that means that now is the greatest time for Pinsir in the tier ever. Even then, it hardly takes any damage from physical attacks in general, so I don't think you'll have a better time to use it than right this second. When it comes in on a resting Pokemon it gets a lot done, it synergises with Dragonite and Tentacruel supremely well, and it resists Dugtrio's Earthquake...it's really fun. Pinsir is definitely the best Swords Dance user in the tier given the synergy it brings to a team, very fun.

Clefable trades with Psychic-types really well thanks to having Thunder Wave and Normal STAB, and this makes it usable in a diverse range of game states; as a lead, in the mid-game, etc. It's very cool and I think juoean could share more given she's used it more recently than I have. It should be used on Normal Spam more. An offensive status guru is fantastic in this tier and while it will take quite a bit of damage in the process, that's exactly what it wants, because everything that touches it gets really hurt in return. Try Thunder Wave / Psychic / Body Slam / Counter, it does wonders for your Persians and Kangaskhans.

Tangela is...weird. I think it's one of those Pokemon that's in dire need of further explanation from the savants, because I am not convinced that it's UU at all anymore. It's meant to be a check to Normal-types, and it is good at that, but it also seems to be iffy in doing...anything else. It compresses roles effectively, but they're being compressed into a very slow Pokemon that's weak to not only Ice, but also Dodrio. Worse still, it's relying on moves hovering around the 75% accurate mark while not having much offensive prowess at all. It's just not used enough and finds itself doing absolutely nothing in many instances. Just drop it, it's not doing enough.

I think it's time for Omastar to go. It's probably the best Articuno/Tentacruel wall but it also loses to Venusaur and can't stave off Dugtrio without being at very high health. Plus, if Tentacruel crits it with Surf or something, it just dies. Regardless, on teams that feature a Flier or two, Omastar usually ends up being the best Water for the team, and these are quite frequent. Use with Dragonite for best results, but it has a lot of trouble getting things going.

C: Somehow, all the NUBLs manage to go here.
Electrode is fast and somehow manages to contest Dugtrio thanks to Take Down + Explosion which is...fantastic, really. It crits a lot with Thunderbolt and lets off uncontested Thunder Waves, that's all you really need.

Raichu is great, but I truly wish it needed to take literally no damage at all to secure a sweep just by Dugtrio existing. ONE Tentacruel Wrap is all you need for Raichu to be unable to contest Dugtrio even after an Agility, and that sucks so much. I think the RaiZard team I cooked up is the best team for it at the moment, but I think that people are going to revisit this thing soon. It has the most potential to return to UU out of any of the C Ranks, possessing a lot of standout traits that make it VERY fun to use and equally rewarding.

Poliwrath is less consistent than Haunter and missing anything with it is FAR more punishing too. It exists in the tier thanks to having more Speed than Hypno alongside Hypnosis. Unfortunately, any opening involving it comes down to that a lot of the time, which is absolutely horrible to deal with. I'm probably just using it wrong, but there are so many occasions where it will accomplish literally nothing and the entire team it's on could crumble as a result. I don't like this Pokemon but understand its viability. It's just difficult to use but has some of the best rewards in opening situations when it goes off. Don't use Amnesia sets, though! That's what our next contender is for...

Golduck has always hovered around D-E because people don't know how to set up in this tier, and as it gets closer to being solved, I become more and more confident in Golduck's place in the metagame. It's a frighteningly strong Pokemon when it works, and it gets surprisingly many opportunities to do so. You just need a cock the size of a skyscraper. +2 Hydro Pump is fucking nuclear and obliterates Hypno while not having any Psychic weaknesses, which turns out to matter a fuckton: you can literally just set up on a paralysed Hypno and kill it, which makes this a great "get me out of the mirror" gag, especially against Hypnosis + Rest variants that drop Seismic Toss. Teams that don't bring a second Water-type get utterly feasted on by Golduck, it's fantastic! Don't fucking use Rest, you're not actually going to wake up a lot of the time and Golduck is essentially your mid-game wallbreaker. Use Amnesia / Hydro Pump / Blizzard / Body Slam or even Confusion for best results.

Electrode is fine, anyone who says "just bring in Dugtrio!!!!" doesn't get it. Take Down puts it in Explosion range immediately, so it is not a safe switch-in. The only safe one is Golem as a result, and Electrode rarely gets to fit Toxic...because it's a pitfall, what are you preparing for Golem for when you're using Electrode? My brother in christ...it dies to Bubble Squirtle. Anyway, Electrode is a crit machine that doesn't lose value when paralysed thanks to Explosion, making it a solid Electric-type and something that could rise if its current stonks keep rising.

C-: Weird Pokemon
Raticate is an underutilised Pokemon that deserves more credit than it gets. The main issue is that like Pinsir, it only provides highly specific defensive utility to a team, with equally specific offensive capabilities. It needs a team that profits from that Super Fang and has a good play line to make it work. The profits you get are immense though: for example, a Kangaskhan is put straight into Tentacruel Surf range. Very cool Pokemon that benefits from the UU environment, just unfortunately mostly outclassed by Persian.

Sandslash is a cool Swords Dance user that can make for some quick, effective takedowns when used correctly, the problem is finding the opening. As players get better at paralysing Tentacruel, Sandslash will improve. I really think this Pokemon has potential.

Golem is still waiting for the mythical "paraspam" team that manages to catapult it into stardom, but I think Sandslash will do it better. That day will not come for some time, because people do not let their Tentacruels get paralysed like normal human beings. I really think this thing is reserved for chatroom theorycrafting...it's not something that gets used on the battlefield. I can't be fucked solving it almost solely because of that, really.

Moltres has a very high ceiling when it goes off, but the opportunities are few and far between. Unlike Charizard, it doesn't have coverage, and in UU, that matters a lot. I think it's got the potential to go really far given the sheer bulk it has, but it's going to take a wizard.

D: Ok, you're getting pretty based here.
Venomoth is faster than Venusaur and has Psychic and Stun Spore, which technically gives it a better matchup against it and Tentacruel. However, it doesn't do much else after it's statused things, so it's pretty weird. Use it with a lead Kadabra or Tentacruel and weave it in early-game for best results. It's also an excellent sleep sack once it's done: I think you could take the Jynx approach and have it Rest once it's taken damage, because Venusaur can't make progress against it at all. This Pokemon has massive optimisation potential and could possibly rise to C.

Kingler is good, it's just not got enough Vaporeons to set up on right now. It's really good at doing this sort of thing and I think setting it up is a lot easier than one would expect. Hell, not much actually has the coverage to, well, OHKO it...huh. The more I think about it, the better this Pokemon seems. People should watch this one.

Kabutops is the best Swords Dance user available, but I think the Slash + Rest set is better. I have a strong feeling this Pokemon is going to gain massive stonks in the second half of the year in both OU and UU, it seems people are finally remembering what it actually does. Try this on Charizard teams, I think it may be able to fill a few holes. I just wish this thing had Rock STAB...

Dragonair sucks but I have to put it somewhere or you'll ask where it is. This thing is a gimmick, through and through, solely aiming to get AgiliWrap cheese that makes a very little impact before it inevitably misses and dies.

E: They suck but they're really cool
Nidoking goes to the top of D the minute AgiliWrap goes away, god I wish this thing could OHKO Dragonite. I don't think it'll go beyond that ever because everything hits it for super effective damage, but it can usually take one hit and respond in turn. I have a few teams I've wanted to use that are invalidated almost solely by Dragonite being able to set up, though I suppose Hypno and friends don't help its case.

Rapidash is a crackhead that happens to outspeed Tentacruel and have Fire Blast to spread burns to shit like Dragonite. Unfortunately, it's not good.

Arbok has Glare and is immune to Toxic which makes it have a microniche on Dragonite teams and that's it.

Blastoise is a Poliwrath that isn't weak to Psychic, which is enough to make it fit on some highly specific teams. Usually, these teams will involve Charizard or Normal-types, which lack crucial resistances in this tier. I actually made one for it during this tournament, which is more than it's previously had, so I am confident in putting it here. It's one of the best Dugtrio checks in the tier, it's just usually worse than Poliwrath.

Butterfree is just kinda there, somehow it manages to work against Dugtrio. Shame it has to use Psywave, though.

Scyther is like Rapidash but it's immune to Earthquake and somehow offers less to a team.

Fearow is a second Dodrio that has a few mythical teams it works on but nobody posts them so it goes here.

You can use em, but don't:
Sort of an F Tier.

Mr. Mime fits on these obscure Psyspam teams but rarely gets anything of note done due to just being too slow and lacking recovery. I think it could find a place through Barrier to be honest?

Nidoqueen is a bad Nidoking.

Arcanine is pretty cool.

Porygon walls Kangaskhan and that's about it.

Magneton is ok if you're strapped for Electrics and want to lose to Dugtrio harder than Electrode does. It's not terrible, it deals stupid damage and even one hit is enough to sway a game significantly in your favour if it's well-placed. Just suffers a lot from the environment due to its shit Speed and lack of resistances.

Staryu is a relic of a different time but it's honestly not that bad, at least about as good as Arbok.

Seaking is a bad Articuno.
So here's my rationale for Charizard being so high: it is clearly more effective than Omastar. Charizard benefits more from Persian's warping presence in this tier than any other Pokemon, being both a decent check and a strong partner for it. As you've seen from the teams I built for Unowndragon during this tournament, Charizard is solid offensively and forces a lot of very interesting situations just by being revealed. It's excellent at tearing apart the common Grass cores that have become common in the past year while also offensively checking Articuno (albeit with a lot of risk). It can't exactly bring everything it wants - fitting Swords Dance and Counter is particularly tough as you have to drop Fire Spin - but every specialised team it fits itself onto feels seamless. Having Fire Spin and Earthquake in the same movepool is just fantastic when you're partnering it with Tentacruel; sure, it's inconsistent, but who cares? Hell, it punishes Dugtrio EXTREMELY hard for dropping Rock Slide, like, holy shit that matchup becomes insanely bad for it. Not that it even wants to try to do that, because a burned Dugtrio is just terrible. Aerodactyl teams? What about Aerodactyl teams! I think people underestimate just what Charizard can actually come in on and set up against; I've yet to see anyone nail it, though I also haven't been playing in tournaments for a while outside of managing, so I guess that's that...the upcoming UU Open sounds like a nice trip.

The arguments I've seen against bringing Charizard up usually come down to it being checked by Water-types, but when Tentacruel dies to a crit or +2 Earthquake while not even OHKOing it in return, I feel like this argument is a bit worse than it looks. Hell, Omastar can just die to a boosted Charizard too, and finding the boost is a lot easier than it looks when you're so fast; keep in mind, Tentacruel does this while having a target on its back all day every day. This is a high-octane, incredibly offensive Pokemon. Sure, Vaporeon and Dewgong can certainly bring it down, but when it 2HKOs the former with even minor damage after a boost and scores amazing neutral hits on the latter, I think it's doing pretty damn fine. We have UU-tiered Pokemon with worse flaws than this, and that's why I'm bringing a couple of them down on this VR.

Now sure, I am making it look like the best thing ever. It's not, that's why I'm putting it in C+ and not S. While it does offensively check Articuno, defensively...it doesn't. Teams that use Charizard typically have to make a big concession for Mr. Frosty, and while stuff like Omastar helps and has good synergy, you will find yourself a little bit pigeonholed. You can try Dewgong too, but you benefit more from the extra Normal resist with Charizard structures, as together they make them very uncomfortable. While I've explained how dicey its Water matchups are, it does have to run away from their attacks a lot: it can take one, but RARELY two. You need to keep it at full health for the one big trade it's going to make and run away with, and that's why people have been using it wrong all this time. Unlike Raichu, however, it actually can take a couple of Wraps before it's a dead dragon walking, which is a significant difference. There will be times where its consistency comes back to bite it, but in my experience, it's roughly as iffy as Haunter.

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
Hello RBY UU enthusiasts! Big announcement here.

The 2022 RBY OU Viability Rankings have officially been posted! This affects RBY UU directly, as the cutoff for what is OU vs. what is UU is determined by these rankings. Specifically, everything that falls into the B-ranks and higher is considered OU, whereas everything beneath B-ranks is considered UU. And this time around, we have some big changes.

Slowbro, Lapras, and Victreebel have all fallen below the OU/UU cutoff line, and are considered UU as of the Viability Rankings Update. However, the RBY UU Council (kjdaas, May, Sevi 7, Shellnuts, Torchic, Unowndragon, and Volk) decided to hold quickban votes on these three Pokemon because of the potential huge meta shakeups. Here all the results:

Slowbro:
Ban: kjdaas, May, Sevi 7, Torchic, Unowndragon, Volk
No ban:
Abstain: Shellnuts

A simple majority is needed to ban, so since 6 out of 7 council members have voted to ban Slowbro, Slowbro will be quickbanned from RBY UU.

Lapras:

Ban: kjdaas, May, Sevi 7, Torchic, Unowndragon, Volk
No ban:
Abstain: Shellnuts

A simple majority is needed to ban, so since 6 out of 7 council members have voted to ban Lapras, Lapras will be quickbanned from RBY UU.

Victreebel:

Ban:
No ban: kjdaas, May, Sevi 7, Shellnuts Torchic, Unowndragon, Volk
Abstain:

A simple majority is needed to ban, so since 7 out of 7 council members have voted to not ban Victreebel, Victreebel will remain in RBY UU.

---

tl;dr Thought Slowbro and Lapras dropped, they are being quickbanned to UUBL. Victreebel, however, will remain UU.

1656009489201.png

EDIT: updated with Shellnuts' votes and a cute little graphic courtesy of May

Last edited:
aren't quickbans supposed to be reserved for when a suspect test would take too long and the metagame needs to reach a playable competitive state before that happens.
since the lapras drop has been basically known to be coming for a year, and there was not really evidence from the extremely limited testing that was done (to my knowledge, obv couldve been some additional testing that idk about) that the lapras metagame was at all unplayable or uncompetitive, doesn't it not really fit the standards for a quickban.

also multiple council members have changed previously stated positions that they were not going to support a lapras quickban, would any of them be interested in elaborating what has changed for them

i have no thoughts or positions about slowbro since that change just happened overnight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)