Lower Tiers RBY UU Suspect Test Community Pulse

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Speaking from the NU council side i’m good with just waiting and having prelim vrs for the sake of just giving new players something to work with but not doing a real VR till after whatever suspects are gonna happen and then a period to let the meta stabilize. also super agree with not giving reqs to people who aren’t actively playing rn
What is the timeframe we are expecting before we get a new, serious VR?

Because it has been years.

The tier changes are moving far to slowly to excuse putting off VRs.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don’t see how it’s moving too slow? We’ve had 3 huge ban/unban situations this year with the most recent one happening just 6 weeks ago, why should we rush to get a VR in place and drop stuff to NU/raise stuff out of it and destabilize that tier for nothing? Better we get a VR that’s at least somewhat accurate after sleep and any other pressing issues are resolved.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
So then what's the timeframe?

Cause they have managed three huge bans this year, and on the table now they have Sleep, Kangaskhan, and Articuno. Is it going to be another year to get through those? After those are done, how long will you have to wait before you get your VR?

Like, I actually really dont understand this at all. Do we actually want viability based lower tiers any more, or if we want stability should we just go back to fixed curated tiers? Cause, currently NU is based on VRs from two years ago. It's just not a VR based tier any more.

Free Aerodactyl!

Does this upcoming spotlight ladder (and subsequently spotlight tour) plan to have sleep unbanned for its duration? From what I have heard this ladder is being used to collect data on UU, and if sleep was to be banned for its duration, said data is useless as that old meta is completely unplayed anymore, something that frankly no one wants to touch again, and is better off left dead in the water.

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
:rb/dugtrio:
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE DUGTRIO SINCE I BEEN PLAYING RBY UU. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF NERVES IN THIN LAYERS THAT FILL THE HUMAN BODY. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR THIS SHITTY TRIPLE MOLE AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. HATE. HATE. HAAAAAAATE.

Dugtrio is frail and has concrete answers. Good Dugtrio switchins are Tangela, Gyarados, Dodrio, and Dragonite in no specific order. Good Pokemon that 1v1 Dugtrio well are Kangaskhan, Dewgong, Articuno, and Persian, and all of the above good switchins also ofc 1v1 it well.

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
I played some games. In RBY UU (roomtours), unbanning the sleep was not a good idea imo, but articuno is just horrible if he setup on a weakened team, this thing is broken, and dugtrio isn’t broken, he have good switch in, and he’s really frail

Gamer1234556

Jesus Christ, I can't believe I am going from partly joking about a Dug ban to making a serious post about UU, talk about tonal whiplash lmao.

unbanning the sleep was not a good idea imo
Why?

and dugtrio isn’t broken, he have good switch in, and he’s really frail
Oh you mean Tangela? The mon that is basically setup fodder to Articuno? Yeah sure that's totally reliable and not an exploitable counterplay at all.

And before you tell me that Dodo, Gyara, Nite or Kang are better checks. Keep in mind that most of these mons can't really face Dug behind a sub, or just get outright crit haxed. With Sleep in the picture, checking Dug becomes even harder since you have to make sure your Dug check isn't slept.

but articuno is just horrible if he setup on a weakened team, this thing is broken,
Yet Cuno has Gong and Omastar, arguably more concrete answers to Cuno when compared to Dug. Yes, I sort of agree that Cuno is also broken but I think you need more sound reasoning than this.

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
Jesus Christ, I can't believe I am going from partly joking about a Dug ban to making a serious post about UU, talk about tonal whiplash lmao.

Why?

Oh you mean Tangela? The mon that is basically setup fodder to Articuno? Yeah sure that's totally reliable and not an exploitable counterplay at all.

And before you tell me that Dodo, Gyara, Nite or Kang are better checks. Keep in mind that most of these mons can't really face Dug behind a sub, or just get outright crit haxed. With Sleep in the picture, checking Dug becomes even harder since you have to make sure your Dug check isn't slept.

Yet Cuno has Gong and Omastar, arguably more concrete answers to Cuno when compared to Dug. Yes, I sort of agree that Cuno is also broken but I think you need more sound reasoning than this.
Maybe because the tier was more balanced imo without sleep, I won’t write an essay about it, end of the conversation for me.

Gamer1234556

Maybe because the tier was more balanced imo without sleep, I won’t write an essay about it, end of the conversation for me.
Well the reason why Sleep was unbanned was because of the metagame being heavily panned before. If anything unbanning Sleep was one of the better choices that the UU community agreed on.

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
Well the reason why Sleep was unbanned was because of the metagame being heavily panned before. If anything unbanning Sleep was one of the better choices that the UU community agreed on.
The « imo » still counts, I'm not questioning the community's decision and the metagame

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am begging that we leave this tier alone for at least 6 months before we consider doing anything else to it
This is the play IMO

UU has been in flux for soooo long that we haven’t had a VR since 2021. It is now almost 2024. Let the tier have time to breathe especially because the meta is actually playable. Could it maybe be improved? Probably, idk, you could argue there’s always room for meta “improvement” to make it more fun. But my lord the last thing we need is more suspect tests rn.

My ideal world would be to get back “on track” with the initial calendar that I had planned out when it comes to VRs and such. That being OU and NU (and now ZU I guess) doing VRs right after SPL with UU and PU doing them six months later. This would allow every tier time to breathe really which is what we need IMO. But especially with UU

This is the play IMO

UU has been in flux for soooo long that we haven’t had a VR since 2021. It is now almost 2024. Let the tier have time to breathe especially because the meta is actually playable. Could it maybe be improved? Probably, idk, you could argue there’s always room for meta “improvement” to make it more fun. But my lord the last thing we need is more suspect tests rn.

My ideal world would be to get back “on track” with the initial calendar that I had planned out when it comes to VRs and such. That being OU and NU (and now ZU I guess) doing VRs right after SPL with UU and PU doing them six months later. This would allow every tier time to breathe really which is what we need IMO. But especially with UU
And Ubers never gets one:psycry:

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
This is the play IMO

Just so long as doing a VR in the middle of the year isnt used as an excuse to not do a VR now...

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i was going to propose having a 2nd vr shortly after due to the meta still being relatively new and a few tours upcoming (the vr will be done before altpl ends) so mid year vr is cool too

to clarify, the 1st that is meant to start soon is official, the fact a 2nd isnt too far away does not make the 1st one unofficial. it should affect NU
I like this actually. Get an official one out ASAP (I guess when spotlight is done), then still do one at the “normal” time as it should be on the calendar. Both would be considered official and affect tiering.

I can make an updated VR calendar if/when people agree on something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)