OU RBY OU Ladder / "Jank" Discussion Thread

Electrode

I'm going to detour a little bit and talk about an extremely unconventional Pokemon and an unconventional set that I've found to have interesting capabilities as a lure to take advantage of common switch-play in Gen 1 RBY and synergizes quite well with OU's conventional picks. Double Status Electrode. I'm also going to answer a couple of FAQs I got from people on Showdown regarding Electrode's performance.

Spr_1b_101.png

Electrode
Ability: No Ability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

You're probably thinking "so you're not only running Electrode in Gen 1 OU, but you're running Toxic as well? Go home Mala, you're drunk." There is a method to my madness here, allow me to explain. What is your first instinct when you see Zapdos? To switch to Rhydon right? Well, this is where Toxic comes in. Since it's so easy to predict a Rhydon switch, you can (accuracy providing) instantly put Rhydon on a timer. Will your opponent switch to a Pokemon like Alakazam instead? Well, if Alakazam gets hit with Toxic, good luck.

Electrode Explosion vs. Alakazam: 256-302 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Alakazam Psychic vs. Electrode: 140-165 (43.3 - 51%) -- 4.1% chance to 2HKO

Electrode outspeeds EVERYTHING in the game, from Mewtwo to Jolteon, nothing comes close to Electrode or its fantastic critical hit rate of over a 1/4 ratio. The reason double status is so important on Electrode is that you can not only put a problematic Pokemon on a timer, but you can paralyze faster threats and take out physically squishy Pokemon once Electrode's usefulness has ended. We also need to talk about Electrode's damage output; it really is not that bad, you could do a lot worse than base 80 with such a high crit rate in Gen 1. Let's take a look at some damage calculations (both with and without critical hits). A well-played Electrode can wear down teams in multiple ways quickly through the use of proper prediction and necessary switching.

Super Effective Hits:

Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Cloyster: 199-234 (65.6 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Cloyster on a critical hit: 382-450 (126 - 148.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Slowbro: 205-242 (52.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Slowbro on a critical hit: 399-470 (101.5 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Starmie: 180-212 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Starmie on a critical hit: 347-408 (107.4 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Lapras on a critical hit: 357-420 (77.1 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neutral Hits:

Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Tauros on a critical hit: 217-256 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Explosion vs. Tauros: 168-198 (47.5 - 56%) -- 83.9% chance to 2HKO
Electrode Explosion vs. Jynx: 287-338 (86.1 - 101.5%) -- 10.3% chance to OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Gengar on a critical hit: 145-171 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 26.3% chance to 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Snorlax on a critical hit: 224-264 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 0.8% chance to 2HKO
Electrode Explosion vs. Chansey: 446-525 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Spr_b_g1_101.png

Critical Hit calculations are necessary because again, almost a 30% critical hit rate. I need to emphasize how insane this is because it puts undue pressure on your opponent's standard team layouts.

Now let's talk about Zapdos since I mentioned it earlier. Electrode actually makes an excellent partner to Zapdos for two specific reasons; first, once Electrode goes down if Rhydon / Golem hasn't gone down yet, it works in the favor of the player who just lost Electrode. Now Rhydon is not only on a timer as previously mentioned, but it allows Zapdos to surprise as a late-game cleaner when the team is paralyzed and poisoned, surprising and putting a ton of pressure. This double electric approach works even better thanks to this wear-down synergy. Zapdos is no offensive slouch, but a big problem is that it often fails to get certain 2HKOs at specific ranges (and in some cases is downright impossible).

Zapdos Drill Peck vs. Exeggutor: 180-212 (45.8 - 53.9%) -- 47.1% chance to 2HKO
Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. Tauros: 151-178 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 0.8% chance to 2HKO
Zapdos Drill Peck vs. Alakazam: 127-150 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Zapdos Drill Peck vs. Gengar: 110-130 (34 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. Snorlax: 156-184 (29.8 - 35.1%) -- 18.6% chance to 3HKO​

All that I've listed is essentially the meat and potatoes as to why Electrode is such a threat; because it enables half of the metagame to deal with common checks or counters by putting them in necessary ranges or timers. Zapdos is not the only Pokemon that Electrode enables. Rhydon appreciates Pokemon like Tauros being paralyzed or in 2HKO range or both. Exeggutor loves having a little extra oomph against Pokemon it normally doesn't want to deal with, and much more.

Now, Electrode obviously has some caveats; its physical defense is serviceable but not good, Explosion does hit hard, but not that hard, and Toxic's 85% accuracy is annoying. However, the way it synergizes with so much of OU in my playtesting and experience, makes it more than worth consideration for a team slot.

FAQs (from Showdown):

Question #1:
Jolteon is much more powerful and "almost" as fast, why not Jolteon?

Answer: Great question, and while Jolteon can accomplish this, there are a few reasons why Jolteon doesn't hold the same weight. Jolteon does not have access to Explosion, meaning that it can't outright threaten certain Pokemon (as Double Kick and Pin Missile don't compare to Explosion). Explosion handles in one slot what Jolteon needs two move slots to do, therefore it can't run double status as Electrode can. In addition to this, Electrode's higher critical hit rate helps here including higher speed to outspeed said Jolteon and the rare Aerodactyl (which Jolteon only ties with).

Question #2: With the constant switching, don't you think Toxic is a little redundant? Why wouldn't you just go for a Thunder Wave?

Answer: Another great question, two reasons. First, Toxic puts pressure on Rhydon and various others that don't care about being Paralyzed. Second, once you've predicted correctly, you can spam Thunder Wave to your heart's content. The opponent is naturally at a disadvantage unless they constantly double switch, which can be capitalized on.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrode

I'm going to detour a little bit and talk about an extremely unconventional Pokemon and an unconventional set that I've found to have interesting capabilities as a lure to take advantage of common switch-play in Gen 1 RBY and synergizes quite well with OU's conventional picks. Double Status Electrode. I'm also going to answer a couple of FAQs I got from people on Showdown regarding Electrode's performance.

View attachment 398096
Electrode
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

You're probably thinking "so you're not only running Electrode in Gen 1 OU, but you're running Toxic as well? Go home Mala, you're drunk." There is a method to my madness here, allow me to explain. What is your first instinct when you see Zapdos? To switch to Rhydon right? Well, this is where Toxic comes in. Since it's so easy to predict a Rhydon switch, you can (accuracy providing) instantly put Rhydon on a timer. Will your opponent switch to a Pokemon like Alakazam instead? Well, if Alakazam gets hit with Toxic, good luck.

Electrode Explosion vs. Alakazam: 256-302 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Alakazam Psychic vs. Electrode: 140-165 (43.3 - 51%) -- 4.1% chance to 2HKO

Electrode outspeeds EVERYTHING in the game, from Mewtwo to Jolteon, nothing comes close to Electrode or its fantastic critical hit rate of over a 1/4 ratio. The reason double status is so important on Electrode is that you can not only put a problematic Pokemon on a timer, but you can paralyze faster threats and take out physically squishy Pokemon once Electrode's usefulness has ended. We also need to talk about Electrode's damage output; it really is not that bad, you could do a lot worse than base 80 with such a high crit rate in Gen 1. Let's take a look at some damage calculations (both with and without critical hits). A well-played Electrode can wear down teams in multiple ways quickly through the use of proper prediction and necessary switching.

Super Effective Hits:

Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Cloyster: 199-234 (65.6 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Cloyster on a critical hit: 382-450 (126 - 148.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Slowbro: 205-242 (52.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Slowbro on a critical hit: 399-470 (101.5 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Starmie: 180-212 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Starmie on a critical hit: 347-408 (107.4 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Lapras on a critical hit: 357-420 (77.1 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neutral Hits:

Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Tauros on a critical hit: 217-256 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode Explosion vs. Tauros: 168-198 (47.5 - 56%) -- 83.9% chance to 2HKO
Electrode Explosion vs. Jynx: 287-338 (86.1 - 101.5%) -- 10.3% chance to OHKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Gengar on a critical hit: 145-171 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 26.3% chance to 2HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Snorlax on a critical hit: 224-264 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 0.8% chance to 2HKO
Electrode Explosion vs. Chansey: 446-525 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

View attachment 398097

Critical Hit calculations are necessary because again, almost a 30% critical hit rate. I need to emphasize how insane this is because it puts undue pressure on your opponent's standard team layouts.

Now let's talk about Zapdos since I mentioned it earlier. Electrode actually makes an excellent partner to Zapdos for two specific reasons; first, once Electrode goes down if Rhydon / Golem hasn't gone down yet, it works in the favor of the player who just lost Electrode. Now Rhydon is not only on a timer as previously mentioned, but it allows Zapdos to surprise as a late-game cleaner when the team is paralyzed and poisoned, surprising and putting a ton of pressure. This double electric approach works even better thanks to this wear-down synergy. Zapdos is no offensive slouch, but a big problem is that it often fails to get certain 2HKOs at specific ranges (and in some cases is downright impossible).

Zapdos Drill Peck vs. Exeggutor: 180-212 (45.8 - 53.9%) -- 47.1% chance to 2HKO
Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. Tauros: 151-178 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 0.8% chance to 2HKO
Zapdos Drill Peck vs. Alakazam: 127-150 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Zapdos Drill Peck vs. Gengar: 110-130 (34 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. Snorlax: 156-184 (29.8 - 35.1%) -- 18.6% chance to 3HKO​

All that I've listed is essentially the meat and potatoes as to why Electrode is such a threat; because it enables half of the metagame to deal with common checks or counters by putting them in necessary ranges or timers. Zapdos is not the only Pokemon that Electrode enables. Rhydon appreciates Pokemon like Tauros being paralyzed or in 2HKO range or both. Exeggutor loves having a little extra oomph against Pokemon it normally doesn't want to deal with, and much more.

Now, Electrode obviously has some caveats; its physical defense is serviceable but not good, Explosion does hit hard, but not that hard, and Toxic's 85% accuracy is annoying. However, the way it synergizes with so much of OU in my playtesting and experience, makes it more than worth consideration for a team slot.

FAQs (from Showdown):

Question #1:
Jolteon is much more powerful and "almost" as fast, why not Jolteon?

Answer: Great question, and while Jolteon can accomplish this, there are a few reasons why Jolteon doesn't hold the same weight. Jolteon does not have access to Explosion, meaning that it can't outright threaten certain Pokemon (as Double Kick and Pin Missile don't compare to Explosion). Explosion handles in one slot what Jolteon needs two move slots to do, therefore it can't run double status as Electrode can. In addition to this, Electrode's higher critical hit rate helps here including higher speed to outspeed said Jolteon and the rare Aerodactyl (which Jolteon only ties with).

Question #2: With the constant switching, don't you think Toxic is a little redundant? Why wouldn't you just go for a Thunder Wave?

Answer: Another great question, two reasons. First, Toxic puts pressure on Rhydon and various others that don't care about being Paralyzed. Second, once you've predicted correctly, you can spam Thunder Wave to your heart's content. The opponent is naturally at a disadvantage unless they constantly double switch, which can be capitalized on.​
Double electric has always intrigued me - please can you share your team for Electrode and Zap?

My only problem with toxic is that it's easy to poison something you don't want to, and your opponent might not use Rhydon anyway. But I agree that Electrode is overlooked and has a few options: Rest is nice to make your opponent drop their guard for a boom, and screech can work with Explosion/Hyper Beam.

In regards to double electric, I've been trying to fit as many electric mons on a team as possible. I can fit three (Jolteon, Raichu, Zap) on a team before it becomes unwieldly: https://pokepast.es/33a0411217565d64

The team relies on Egg (with rest) for protection against Rhydon. I've experimented with using Golem over Lax (so he can switch into Rock Slide and out speed Rhydon), which is effective combined with reflect/icebeam Chansey.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I remember Sceptross mentioning that Kabutops and Zapdos work together, so I came up with this...

.jynx.pngkabutops.pngzapdos.pngsnorlax.pngchansey.pngtauros.png
Importable

Jynx (F)
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest

Kabutops
- Swords Dance
- Hyper Beam
- Slash
- Surf

Zapdos
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Thunder Wave
- Agility

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Reflect
- Rest
- Earthquake

Chansey (F)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Tauros (M)
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
The idea is that Kabutops and Zapdos have incredible defensive and offensive synergy at once. Drawing in Rhydon to smack it with something is a very effective strategy, especially on ladder when you have actual bot-like humans who'll fall for the double every time for the entire game. Not got much time to elaborate, but it should explain itself...

I actually played with this on stream, albeit quite poorly...I lost to some pretty terrible teams early-on. Here you go, anyway;

Fire pokemon don't get much love in the RBY community, so I thought I'd celebrate their awesomeness with a triple fire team:

:rapidash::golem::moltres::arcanine::chansey::starmie:

Pokepaste

Dash is faster than Jynx, making a good surprise lead. However your opponent probably won't keep Jynx in, so you can use body slam and hope to get a crit on Chansey or para on Star. Dash can stay in against Gengar as well, because he absorbs sleep and can do a good amount of damage to Gar. If your opponent is leading with Zam/Star switch into Chan.

Rhydon is trouble, but Tres can switch into EQ, followed by Golem into Rock Slide. Golem out speeds Don, forcing him out. Chansey switches into Lax with reflect, but Tauros has to be handled more carefully.

The fire types hit hard with physical and special attacks. They're not afraid to get paralysed because they have agility.

Replays (I've included wins and losses):

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1496783607-3hw56oegyznjxu5tz195ocx4jpqql87pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1496823360-vn810e72tiot25x8mbphml4qbrot7yupw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1496789267-qxoap68i2k83ohf3e2a6wh7uxui94ompw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1497057582

When it comes to viability rankings, not many people bother to rank every fully evolved pokemon. After all, who cares whether Beedrill is better than Hitmonchan, they're both abysmal and not worthy of use, so who really cares? However of the few people who do go to that effort, something I've noticed is that it's surprisingly common (among the few who bother) to list a single pokemon as being worse than Ditto. I think it's fair to say that this is hyperbole, and exaggerated way of highlighting how incredibly bad the pokemon in question really is. After all Ditto is, by design, the benchmark for being the worst pokemon in the game, so to rank something lower is to truly disparage whatever is ranked below it.
crop1.jpg

Every time this comes up, the reasoning is that, you can contrive a scenario where Ditto does something, where it theoretically is able to Transform into something useful, whereas the other pokemon has literally no useful applications. If you seriously examine it, that's a very bold theory, but as far as I know it's just that- a theory. I doubt that any of the players making this conjecture have seriously tried to use Ditto. I've done this in the past, but I'd never actually used Ditto until recently. Well, I'm not about to let an obviously terrible idea stop me from investigating. I have now tested Ditto, and got to 1500 on ladder, which for RBY I consider the minimum acceptable standard when laddering. And I can confidently conclude that I, and everyone else that ever suggested any fully evolved pokemon as being worse than Ditto, were/are tripping balls.
crop2.jpg

Now you might say "that's a rather bold and potentially inflammatory position for someone to take 2 paragraphs after they just described such rankings as hyperbole rather than sincere rankings". That's a reasonable criticism but I don't care because even as hyperbole, suggesting anything is worse than Ditto is profoundly stupid, and I can now say that from experience.

Let's run through all of the issues that Ditto has. First, its stats are awful and it has no resistances. Virtually everything can 2HKO it and its crit rate is poor. Its pre-Transform speed is bad, but it does outpace a few notable threats at least. Its extreme frailty means it's virtually impossible to bring in safely, but this pales in comparison to its greatest flaw.
crop3.jpg

Once Ditto is somehow brought into play, its only options are to immediately double out to a pokemon that can actually accomplish something, or spend a turn using Transform. This means that as soon as it enters play, everyone knows your opponent has a free turn to do whatever the hell they want. Both players know it, everyone watching knows it, people in the lobby who aren't even spectating know it, my Mum whose only experience of Pokemon was me watching the anime when I was 5 years old probably knows it as well. This means that the opponent can heal up, use status, switch, or simply murder this useless blob, all with zero immediate retaliation.

Ah, but then Ditto Transforms into something useful right? Well, uh, no. That doesn't work in practice, outside of extremely specific conditions, and in those circumstances it's even rarer still for Ditto to perform even marginally better than literally anything else. Its peak really is a handful of % points better than whatever other options were available to you, but even achieving that is a vanishingly rare feat. So I've talked a lot of shit about Ditto's potential to Transform into something useful, but what factors need to be considered?
crop4.jpg

The first factor is whether it can Transform without dying, which is pretty obvious. You're not really going to be Transforming into Rhydon anytime soon. The flipside that is perhaps easier to overlook, is whether Ditto can even achieve anything after Transforming. A number of pokemon such as Jynx, Chansey and Slowbro struggle to break through themselves while also generally being able to heal up, and in such scenarios the fact that Ditto only gets 5 PP per move means it will invariably lose the ensuing stall war. Switching these Pokemon into Ditto will completely negate. If these switches were predictable, you could perhaps exploit that, but because Ditto dies so easily they're not really guaranteed- murder is always a valid option.
crop7.jpg

So to use Ditto, you need to bring it in and Transform safely, and you need to ensure your opponent doesn't have any pokemon that aren't threatened by themselves. That's an extremely difficult scenario to set up, but the worst thing is even if you achieve this, Ditto is still probably worse than whatever it Transformed into. It only has 5 PP per move, and retains both its poor crit rate and its abysmal HP. In order for it to achieve anything close to an advantage, it needs more support. A LOT more support.

Chip damage is important for Ditto, since there's a realistic probability that it will be losing half its HP (if not more) to an attack as it sets up, putting it at a deficit. But what it really needs is status, and your options are far more limited than you might suspect. Frozen opponents would be nice, but the only time anyone's leaving a frozen Pokemon in on Ditto is if said Pokemon is the least threatening option available, or if they literally have no other choice (in which case the game is already decided). Sleep is also poor, because Ditto takes way too many turns to get going, meaning a wake is more than likely. That really leaves only paralysis as a viable support option.
crop8.jpg

So how does Ditto work in practice? Well, I initially sought to go through all the setup required for Ditto to really achieve anything, with visions of it countersweeping. Obviously, that really didn't work out- the conditions necessary are way too specific, and also so stringent that you've practically already won the match and don't need Ditto anyway. After all, you basically require the opponent to have no response to your Ditto other than a paralysed and weakened Pokemon.

Where I ended up finding value in Ditto was as a response to potential sleep or boom, situations where I'm at risk of having one of my pokemon incapacitated. If that sounds like Ditto is so worthless that's it's practically dedicated cannon fodder, well it is. But one trick Ditto does have going for it is if for whatever reason it survives entering play AND the opponent doesn't switch out, it can then turn whatever high impact move I was worried about back against the opponent. This can also apply if the opponent may choose Rest as well.
crop5.jpg

The best example I can give is paralysed Exeggutor. If I'm concerned about sleep or boom, I can switch in Ditto, and if it doesn't die or get slept, I then Transform and turn the tables. This is of course, negated by simply switching out, but usually that will mean my opponent brings in a non-threat, meaning I've temporarily neutralised the real threat. Another example is if you somehow whittle Lax down to about 40% and it's only clicked Body Slam. It will probably either Boom or Rest. If it's the former, you dodge a bullet by sacrificing a trash mon, while if they Rest, you can threaten to Transform into Lax, which opponents are seldom willing to allow you to do (even though you're still probably not beating Lax even with a free turn).
crop6.jpg

There are other marginal uses, but they amount to little- scouting sets, and transforming into an opposing status spreader if you're absolutely desperate are what I have in mind. Overall though, the majority of battles that I won, Ditto accomplished nothing, and the games I lost due to having wasted a teamslot would've easily outnumbered the games where Ditto's contributions weren't zero. Not once did it come close to providing the value necessary to justify a teamslot, it was challenging enough getting any value whatsoever out of it

In conclusion, Ditto is ass, worst pokemon in the game.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1549602795-2jn1eyf88ieykem6g4jjl197rav41dhpw. This was easily the best Ditto match in that it wasn't totally useless and I was able to beat a solid player without obscene hax or them bringing dumb gimmicks (just a really fucking good matchup lol)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1512828090-10ikldnxfr04srzbwyukoty4dnc5tl4pw. Strongest performance from Ditto imo, but only because my opponent's last pokemon was Parasect lol. Slash Parasect is also one of Ditto's better matchups tbh- Ditto's HP isn't too much worse, while Ditto's better crit rate makes a difference when using Slash
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1519154048-ps52u0z5wff8qhoj54bdtuf90t9j5ospw. Managed to get a bs countersweep with Ditto, but I don't consider this to actually be a good showing because it depended on my opponent blundering multiple times
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1533302171-3o6m0jc8r1atl2mznwgojd27w61rr8spw. Closed out the game with Ditto, but it was practically won already

Also fun fact, if you look at the showdown stats for March, 1760 weighted usage has Ditto at 18th, above pokemon like Dragonite, Golem and Articuno, while Ditto ranks 7th as a Jolteon teammate. I'm not remotely sorry for this.

Edit: to clarify, I don't mean to throw shade at people who have characterised anything as worse than Ditto, even though that's effectively what I did. I kinda adopted that tone because I thought it embellished the post, not out of ill intent (also I fall into that camp as well, so idk)

Also this was a torturous grind and I'm glad to finally be done with it

Last edited:
I mean, on paper at least I’d argue it’s better that Hitmonchan. In practice probably not, but I genuinely cannot see any reason for GF to make Hitmonchan so weak. There’s nothing to be scared of it firing off with stupid stats because it has no moves. There’s no fear of it firing off better moves because its stats suck. There’s no fear of a setup sweep because it has no setup. It can’t heal, it can’t status outside of Toxic or spamming pathetically weak Ice Punches that do less than Rattata Blizzards, and all around it just makes no sense to EXIST, because it ultimately does nothing that some other Pokémon doesn’t do better

Ditto is worthless, but at least it’s easier to see why they were thinking that having bad stats wouldn’t matter if it transforms, even if they were dead wrong about that. Hitmon has NO such excuse

I agree with Melanie, Hitmonchan isn't particularly close to being the worst. While it undoubtedly sucks, having a super effective STAB against the top 3 pokemon in the game kinda elevates its floor enough to avoid the detritus. I also don't think it's totally outclassed the way some other shitmons are. It's undoubtedly the worst Fighting type by a large margin, but there are a tiny fraction of scenarios where it may outperform other Fighting types, mostly thanks to being the only one to learn Agility. That's not an inspiring selling point, but it's better than literally nothing, which is realistically the case for some other pokemon

I've been testing some more shitmons and there are other pokemon that I think are bad enough to potentially fit in the same tier as Ditto, but yeah not Hitmonchan. I actually started to maintain my own personal VR a while back and I've put Ditto into the null tier- reserved for pokemon so ineffective that you're practically playing 5v6, to give some idea of where I place the bar for this kind of thing

Putting Omastar and Dugtrio so low in the rankings is a bit negligent. Also Dodrio is better than believed to be. No paralysis in the start is nice and the Dug has potential to hit hard. Also putting Weezing so low is also negligent. High atk exploder with that much support defense should be at least in the top 10. A tradeoff to some, but can potentially tbolt a low health starmie and explode next turn. Exeggutor is top 3, and Snorlax is 1. Tauros is good, definitely top 5. Rhydon too weak to water and golem too weak to water. All fire mons are weak in coverage. Chansey is weak in explosion coverage, especially with 3 or 4 in rotation. Electric mons are decent, but without speed are practically useless. Jolteon has coverage and speed without agility, and also has twave capabilities so Jolteon has a spot in the top 10. Dragonite's wrap potential is tier, at least top 10. Cloyster might have a spot in my top 10, but I have Cloyster closely ranked with Slowbro. I put Starmie above Cloyster in the top 5. I don't have Alakazam in the top 5. Maybe in my top 10. He has Para capabilities but gets walled by Exegg and Slowbro. Zam also can be walled by Chansey. Chansey has wall capabilities and Para also, but Chansey is very susceptible to explosion and self destruct, and even sleep.. A rotation of 3 or 4 would take down an entire team and leave him alone to be outsped and outmatched. Victreebel is terrible, but cool art. Gengar is decent, but not top 10. Porygon is also decent, but not top 10. If pory is up against a supporter and can set up reflect he can be very helpful tho with toxic and recover. Twave and tbolt and even body slam. Muk utilized is decent but weak to psy and eq coverage. Not top 10. Poliwrath isn't terrible, but not top 10. Amnesia is pivotal in RBY OU tho. Hypnosis and Submission are also nice, even Blizzard. Zap>Mol>Art.

Wow...
Hopefully My List Can Serve As Eye Bleach!
my-image.png

The only notable change from standard lists from me is that Exeggutor is still big 4. I wanna see what other people think! I put Snorlax number one because Crystal_ discovery is huge for big momma. Other than the aforementioneds this is mostly standard with a few variations.

Recently reached 1500 elo with a team that doesn't use Snorlax, so I think I have a unique perspective on this.
(Proof: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1671958287)

S: :chansey::tauros:
A: :snorlax::exeggutor:
B: :alakazam::starmie:
C1: :rhydon::zapdos::jynx::cloyster:
C2::slowbro::gengar::jolteon:
D: :lapras::victreebel::moltres::articuno::persian: (unordered)

Chansey is the most indispensable of the "big 3," and in my view, at this stage in the meta, slightly edges out even Tauros. It's the only Pokémon in the game that is straight-up buffed by being paralyzed—that is to say, the benefits of getting your Chansey paralyzed utterly eclipse the downsides in a manner that may as well be referred to as a "buff," because that's essentially what it is. There's a reason many people will forfeit the moment their Chansey gets frozen; without Chansey in play, it becomes almost impossible to protect the rest of your team from status conditions in a meta where inflicting status serves as your primary win condition. I would liken losing your Chansey in RBY to hanging your queen in chess. It's a tremendous setback that is extremely difficult to come back from, and not having a Chansey on your team while your opponent has one is like being 75 meters behind in a 100 meter dash. It's that important. The choice to forgo Chansey on any serious team can only be described with one word—foolish.

Not much to say about Tauros—it's still indispensable, and the king to Chansey's queen, but its vulnerability to status conditions and inability to recover its health means that you REALLY have to pick your battles with it—a downside that Chansey lacks. Chansey can safely switch into every special attack in the game when paralyzed. Tauros cannot. That said, obviously, it's still the best kill switch in the game. I think people will always view Tauros as #1 because of its role as a sweeper—after all, Tauros is designed for scoring KOs, and Chansey isn't—but the thing is, Tauros needs a lot of support before it can get that late game sweep going in the first place, and Chansey is simply the best Pokémon at providing that support—and, therefore, the true MVP of the metagame.

Snorlax is overrated. As I mentioned above, the fact that I was able to reach 1500 elo without a Snorlax basically proves this in my eyes, especially when I didn't find the task particularly difficult. It goes without saying that Snorlax is strong, and can be a challenge to deal with—if you don't have one yourself, it's probably gonna take more than one of your Pokémon to deal with it (unless you run Porygon). However, Snorlax has a bevy of exploitable weaknesses that simply prevent it, in my eyes, from being the true undroppable S-tier Pokémon that everyone seems to think it is. For one thing, it gets outsped by Chansey and Rhydon. Any Snorlax that switches in on a healthy Chansey puts itself at risk of getting hit by all manner of status conditions. Since low speed means bad crit rate, Chansey is very likely able to take at least two hits before needing to switch out, which means that Snorlax has to dodge Sing three times in this scenario before its opponent pivots to another, more accurate sleeper. Snorlax is one of the worst Pokémon to have asleep or frozen. Rest is annoying to deal with, but the fixed two-turn wake up makes it extremely easy to exploit the wake up turn and simply put it back to sleep, or even just smack it with Alakazam Psychics until it dies in two or three hits (minding his high crit rate). Without Amnesia, it also struggles to deal with Porygon, which is just... kinda pathetic, really—and with Amnesia, you're running a suboptimal Snorlax that's even easier to exploit. Obviously, I'm not saying Snorlax is trash—I have it at the top of my A-tier, and it's still the third strongest Pokémon in the meta. But this notion that you can't make a good team without one is just utter nonsense. It is by far the least threatening of the big 3, and I think its popularity is more a measure of self-reinforcing groupthink than anything else. "It's true because the community says so," or "It's true because the numbers say so," rather than "It's true because you literally cannot win without Snorlax." This isn't GSC—you CAN go without Snorlax. It's just a very strong Pokémon that you probably should use. Nothing more.

Exeggutor is extremely annoying. Like, nothing kills it. Even moves that are supposed to kill it (Starmie's Blizzard) do a terrible job of killing it, and even then, it has such an easy time putting all its checks to sleep anyway. The only surefire way to KO an Exeggutor is to have it blow itself up—a scary prospect, which makes every encounter with this big dumb palm tree far more of a nail-biter than it ever feels like it needs to be. In my opinion, every team needs to pack a Rhydon, a Gengar, or both, simply because of this Pokémon alone. The only reason it's not higher than Snorlax is because when it blows up, at least it's gone for good.

Alakazam and Starmie are incredibly strong, but they're down here because they are absolutely terrible at fighting other special attackers, including themselves. An Alakazam cannot consistently close the deal on another Alakazam, which is a problem. Starmie has Thunderbolt to deal with members of its own species, I suppose, but Starmie's problem is having to run Thunderbolt in the first place when it would much rather be running STAB. Out of all Pokémon in the RBY meta, Starmie suffers the hardest from 4MSS, and it's a shame to see. I would also like Starmie more if it had a little bit more HP to supplement its decent physical bulk—but then, it would be even harder to two-shot it in the mirror match, I guess. Oh well.

Rhydon is good enough that I believe every team (at least of certain archetypes) needs to use it, but HAVING to use Rhydon also kinda sucks. Getting walled by Pokémon like Exeggutor and Cloyster blows, and moves like Rock Slide simply aren't strong enough (or accurate enough) to consistently deal with these threats. Plus, since Subsitute is garbage in this generation, it's liable to getting checked by all sleepers, as well, since they all outspeed him. Even Chansey can two-shot it with Ice Beam. Rhydon has a lot going against it, making him one of the harder meta Pokémon to use, but he's an absolute beast if you play him very intelligently.

Jynx is basically a less scary Exeggutor that gets STAB Blizzards and freeze immunity. Too bad it doesn't have the same bulk, and only runs three moves (nobody has ever seen Jynx use its fourth move. Ever). Cloyster gets the same Ice-type benefits, but of course trapping, while extremely annoying, is also super gimmicky and inconsistent.

Slowbro spends too many games dying before it can get all of its boosts up before it's able to wreak any real havoc, but it can be scary if you're not prepared for it, or if all of its checks are dead (which means you're in a pretty bad spot anyway). The problem is, even if its checks are crippled with status, they can still deal with Slowbro adequately.

Gengar would be C1-tier or higher if it had a better sleep move, or a slightly higher Attack stat, or wasn't weak to Psychic, or wasn't weak to Ground, or had ANY good STAB moves, or if Mega Drain had a higher base power, or if the most common leads in the game couldn't threaten to OHKO it, or if it wasn't speed tied with Tauros, or if it had any sort of consistency whatsoever. It really has everything going against it in this generation, doesn't it? The fact that it's usable in the meta at all is actually incredible. You could fix just ONE or TWO of those issues I mentioned, and Gengar would be an excellent Pokémon, all for the sheer utility of its Ghost typing alone—but to have all of those issues at once? It's just... a lot.

Jolteon gets to be in C because it's the fastest viable Pokémon, and it's capable of slapping Chansey around in a pinch. It has some respectable characteristics. I just don't care about Electric-types in this meta when you can just run Rhydon and shut them down completely. Zapdos gets to be much higher because it's much bulkier and Drill Peck is very strong, but it's underwhelming for the same reason. It's too bad moves like HP Ice and Roost didn't exist yet.

Last edited:
Recently reached 1500 elo with a team that doesn't use Snorlax, so I think I have a unique perspective on this.

S: :chansey::tauros:
A: :snorlax::exeggutor:
B: :alakazam::starmie:
C1: :rhydon::zapdos::jynx::cloyster:
C2::slowbro::gengar::jolteon:
D: :lapras::victreebel::moltres::articuno::persian: (unordered)

Chansey is the most indispensable of the "big 3," and in my view, at this stage in the meta, slightly edges out even Tauros. It's the only Pokémon in the game that is straight-up buffed by being paralyzed—that is to say, the benefits of getting your Chansey paralyzed utterly eclipse the downsides in a manner that may as well be referred to as a "buff," because that's essentially what it is. There's a reason many people will forfeit the moment their Chansey gets frozen; without Chansey in play, it becomes almost impossible to protect the rest of your team from status conditions in a meta where inflicting status serves as your primary win condition. I would liken losing your Chansey in RBY to hanging your queen in chess. It's a tremendous setback that is extremely difficult to come back from, and not having a Chansey on your team while your opponent has one is like being 75 meters behind in a 100 meter dash. It's that important. The choice to forgo Chansey on any serious team can only be described with one word—foolish.

Not much to say about Tauros—it's still indispensable, and the king to Chansey's queen, but its vulnerability to status conditions and inability to recover its health means that you REALLY have to pick your battles with it—a downside that Chansey lacks. Chansey can safely switch into almost every attack in the game from full health. Tauros cannot. That said, obviously, it's still the best kill switch in the game.

Snorlax is overrated. As I mentioned above, the fact that I was able to reach 1500 elo without a Snorlax basically proves this in my eyes, especially when I didn't find the task particularly difficult. It goes without saying that Snorlax is strong, and can be a challenge to deal with—if you don't have one yourself, it's probably gonna take more than one of your Pokémon to deal with it (unless you run Porygon). However, Snorlax has a bevy of exploitable weaknesses that simply prevent it, in my eyes, from being the true undroppable S-tier Pokémon that everyone seems to think it is. For one thing, it gets outsped by Chansey and Rhydon. Any Snorlax that switches in on a healthy Chansey puts itself at risk of getting hit by all manner of status conditions. Since low speed means bad crit rate, Chansey is very likely able to take at least two hits before needing to switch out, which means that Snorlax has to dodge Sing three times in this scenario before its opponent pivots to another, more accurate sleeper. Snorlax is one of the worst Pokémon to have asleep or frozen. Rest is annoying to deal with, but the fixed two-turn wake up makes it extremely easy to exploit the wake up turn and simply put it back to sleep, or even just smack it with Alakazam Psychics until it dies in two or three hits (minding his high crit rate). Without Amnesia, it also struggles to deal with Porygon, which is just... kinda pathetic, really—and with Amnesia, you're running a suboptimal Snorlax that's even easier to exploit. Obviously, I'm not saying Snorlax is trash—I have it at the top of my A-tier, and it's still the third strongest Pokémon in the meta. But this notion that you can't make a good team without one is just utter nonsense. It is by far the least threatening of the big 3, and I think its popularity is more a measure of self-reinforcing groupthink than anything else. "It's true because the community says so," or "It's true because the numbers say so," rather than "It's true because you literally cannot win without Snorlax." This isn't GSC—you CAN go without Snorlax. It's just a very strong Pokémon that you probably should use. Nothing more.

Exeggutor is extremely annoying. Like, nothing kills it. Even moves that are supposed to kill it (Starmie's Blizzard) do a terrible job of killing it, and even then, it has such an easy time putting all its checks to sleep anyway. The only surefire way to KO an Exeggutor is to have it blow itself up—a scary prospect, which makes every encounter with this big dumb palm tree far more of a nail-biter than it ever feels like it needs to be. In my opinion, every team needs to pack a Rhydon, a Gengar, or both, simply because of this Pokémon alone. The only reason it's not higher than Snorlax is because when it blows up, at least it's gone for good.

Alakazam and Starmie are incredibly strong, but they're down here because they are absolutely terrible at fighting other special attackers, including themselves. An Alakazam cannot consistently close the deal on another Alakazam, which is a problem. Starmie has Thunderbolt to deal with members of its own species, I suppose, but Starmie's problem is having to run Thunderbolt in the first place when it would much rather be running STAB. Out of all Pokémon in the RBY meta, Starmie suffers the hardest from 4MSS, and it's a shame to see. I would also like Starmie more if it had a little bit more HP to supplement its decent physical bulk—but then, it would be even harder to two-shot it in the mirror match, I guess. Oh well.

Rhydon is good enough that I believe every team (at least of certain archetypes) needs to use it, but HAVING to use Rhydon also kinda sucks. Getting walled by Pokémon like Exeggutor and Cloyster blows, and moves like Rock Slide simply aren't strong enough (or accurate enough) to consistently deal with these threats. Plus, since Subsitute is garbage in this generation, it's liable to getting checked by all sleepers, as well, since they all outspeed him. Even Chansey can two-shot it with Ice Beam. Rhydon has a lot going against it, making him one of the harder meta Pokémon to use, but he's an absolute beast if you play him very intelligently.

Jynx is basically a less scary Exeggutor that gets STAB Blizzards and freeze immunity. Too bad it doesn't have the same bulk, and only runs three moves (nobody has ever seen Jynx use its fourth move. Ever). Cloyster gets the same Ice-type benefits, but of course trapping, while extremely annoying, is also super gimmicky and inconsistent.

Slowbro spends too many games dying before it can get all of its boosts up before it's able to wreak any real havoc, but it can be scary if you're not prepared for it, or if all of its checks are dead (which means you're in a pretty bad spot anyway). The problem is, even if its checks are crippled with status, they can still deal with Slowbro adequately.

Gengar would be C1-tier or higher if it had a better sleep move, or a slightly higher Attack stat, or wasn't weak to Psychic, or wasn't weak to Ground, or had ANY good STAB moves, or if Mega Drain had a higher base power, or if the most common leads in the game couldn't threaten to OHKO it, or if it wasn't speed tied with Tauros. It really has everything going against it in this generation, doesn't it? The fact that it's usable in the meta at all is actually incredible. You could fix just ONE or TWO of those issues I mentioned, and Gengar would be an excellent Pokémon—but to have all of those issues at once? It's just... a lot.

Jolteon gets to be in C because it's the fastest viable Pokémon, and it's capable of slapping Chansey around in a pinch. It has some respectable characteristics. I just don't care about Electric-types in this meta when you can just run Rhydon and shut them down completely in a meta where HP Ice doesn't exist yet. Zapdos gets to be much higher because it's much bulkier and Drill Peck is very strong, but it's underwhelming for the same reason. If only Roost were a thing this early on.
Let's talk a little bit about Chansey. Chansey is hands down one of the best Pokémon available in RBY OU for a handful of good reasons. Its high special volume and access to Soft Boiled allow it to absorb damage from any STAB special attacker in OU. His ability to switch into STAB Psychic, STAB Blizzard, and STAB Thunderbolt better than any other special wall with instant recovery makes Chansey the #1 special sponge. Chansey is also a very versatile pokémon. Its access to Sing coupled with its extremely high special volume allows it to get into Pokémon like Alakazam or Starmie early in the game and put an opposing Pokémon to sleep with relative ease. The Chansey turn 1 opening followed by Sing turn 2 is very popular and discourages players from using Thunder Wave on the turn 1 most of the time. This simple opening shapes a lot of the current metagame, as if players avoid using Thunder Wave on Turn 1, it's easier to put a Pokemon to sleep early in the game. In a metagame where the sleep clause is active from the beginning of the game, the moves that induce sleep are no longer moves to threaten/push Pokemon out of the game and Attract status blockers to the field.This directly affects Viability Ranking by dropping a Pokémon like Exeggutor. Additionally, when Sing Chansey takes on the role of Sleeper, players can remove Exeggutor from the build and use that slot to include new Pokémon and add synergy to the team.Chansey is also notable for being Starmie's #1 counter when equipped with Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. Its extremely high special volume and access to Soft boiled allow Chansey to easily wall off one of the most extremely common special attackers in the format, who it can cripple with Thunder Wave and take out with Thunderbolt comfortably. On the other hand, Ice Beam gives it the ability to threaten common Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Zapdos with significant damage and also allows it to try and freeze the other Chansey. In a Tauros-dominated metagame, when one of your Pokémon is put to sleep by a sleep-inducing move, you can't leave that Pokémon on the field without giving your opponent a chance to send Tauros onto the field.This way, it's easy for Chansey to put one Pokemon to sleep with Sing and cripple another the next turn with Thunder Wave on a predicted switch. This idea is especially useful early in the game, as it allows you to put an opposing Pokemon to sleep and cripple another Pokemon on the next turn before your opponent has a chance to threaten Chansey's health. Paralyzing the opposing Chansey with Thunder Wave also makes Snorlax transform into a more powerful offensive. Snorlax will usually be able to knock a paralyzed Chansey off the field and gain a Body Slam into the opponent's physical wall. Preventing your own Chansey from being paralyzed will also make the opposing Snorlax less threatening, and Chansey will be able to absorb the Body Slam with Soft Boiled. The most dominant approach in RBY OU right now is putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep as quickly as possible and planting paralysis on the opposing team to set up a scenario that increases Snorax's physical threat. When the opponent uses their sleeping Pokémon to block Thunder Wave, it also gives you a chance to send Tauros onto the field. If you think about it, Chansey is an incredibly versatile Pokémon but it lacks the offensive moves to threaten significant damage to opposing Paralyzed Chansey and sleeping Lead Gengar, Lead Jynx or Lead Alakazam. In that context, Snorlax and Tauros complement Chansey and constitute the mighty Big 3's offensive threat. If either of them are missing, the normal core is lame (Chansey limps).

Last edited:
My viability rankings based on Ladder “experience”
S- Chansey, Tauros, Snorlax.
A- Exeggutor, Rhydon
B- Starmie, Moltres, Zapdos
C- Articuno, Jynx, Gengar

some Pokémon are not mentioned because I am not sure where to put them

Last year we had a secret santa (I hope we're having one this year :D) and I got Amaranth. I asked for "An OU team without any paralysing moves" and he wanted "a Kabutops team". I think we both came up with some original ideas, so I'm sharing them here:

Kabutops

Anyone can stick kabutops onto a generic team, so I wanted to do something different. I also think Lax V Lax is boring. So I made two Snorlaxless Kabutops teams:

Tops/Art: https://pokepast.es/0b2eaf3fceb5e952

Tops/Zap: https://pokepast.es/fc935918962c0757

The idea behind both is the same - switch kabutops into taur/lax's body slam/hyper beam, then switch into Zap/Art when they use Earthquake. Kabutops has rest so he can wall a snorlax without earthquake, and b slam for a starmie switch in. Replays below:

Tops/Zap: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1682105904

Tops/Art: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1682112116-ulx2uzqttk1hu5ftcdca6kf1a8q98vxpw

No paralysis moves

Paralysing pokemon is an essential aspect of RBY, unless you're using a toxic wrap team (and I didn't want one of those). So making a team which doesn't spread para is a challenge, here's what Amaranth came up with: https://pokepast.es/f0e73ba0f8dde688

Notes on the team from Amaranth below:

Make it look like Gengar is your Lax answer, then use the bluff to land Chansey's Counter on Snorlax.

Now that the opponent hopefully has no more rest users spam Toxic and set up your unkillable Snorlax and win by doing nothing while they very slowly die.

Use Golem to check Zapdos or lure+explode Cloyster, or use TBolt Tauros to try to crit it, as it's really very annoying and a hard wall to Lax otherwise. Good luck against Tauros.

Here's a replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1682119479

Try them out and see what you think :)

I haven't got any fancy placements at tours or anything but here is a VR I made for the fun of it.

TLDR on placements.

Swords Dancers typically do thier job not based on matchup, to my knowledge atleast.

Dragonite's high risk, high reward playstyle is based on wrap hitting so it can't be optimal as far as consistancy is concerned even if its teamates enjoy it.

Maybe check in on me later if I got any spicy takes on our tier staples. Right now I don't have any strong feelings on top 12.

my-image (4).png

I haven't got any fancy placements at tours or anything but here is a VR I made for the fun of it.

TLDR on placements.

Swords Dancers typically do thier job not based on matchup, to my knowledge atleast.

Dragonite's high risk, high reward playstyle is based on wrap hitting so it can't be optimal as far as consistancy is concerned even if its teamates enjoy it.

Maybe check in on me later if I got any spicy takes on our tier staples. Right now I don't have any strong feelings on top 12.

View attachment 458261
I believe you placing Pinsir so low is something coming from inexperience. Pinsir is an amazing Sweeper Pokemon with its Swords Dance and Hyper Beam combo and it has Bind as well to work as a trapper and trapping moves are some of the strongest in RBY. Give Pinsir a try and he will impress!

I believe you placing Pinsir so low is something coming from inexperience. Pinsir is an amazing Sweeper Pokemon with its Swords Dance and Hyper Beam combo and it has Bind as well to work as a trapper and trapping moves are some of the strongest in RBY. Give Pinsir a try and he will impress!
So bump up to B- with other Swords Dancers. I just placed him a tier lower because of Gengar and 4 moveslot syndrome. To be fair though Gengar usually doesn't last in the late game where Pinsir can sweep. Pinsir is cool though I'll check him out.

Pinsir is just too inconsistent to work that well, even in comparison to other Swords Dancers, which are inconsistent in their own right. The main thing it has over other SD users is Bind, which can be really useful, but Bind is still only 75% accurate, and Pinsir can’t really afford to give the opponent free turns like that, especially considering Pinsir’s bad special bulk. Not to mention that if the opponent has a Gengar that is alive, you’re essentially playing 5 v 6, which is anything but consistent. The other SD users don’t really have this problem, especially Kingler who is arguably the best user of the move in OU.

That’s not to say Kingler is perfect, it has its own problems (electric weakness and relying on setting up which it struggles to do) and is inconsistent in its own right.

Last edited:

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
AS OF YESTERDAY (I forgot to post it) I HAVE WON WITH EVERY MONOTYPE ON LADDER!!!

Normal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1682269472-vqvvqg2h0om7hve3pom7ijycnfnspeipw
Psychic: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686843316
Water: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1681154989
Grass: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686674986
Electric: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686666205
Flying: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686179653
Fire: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-16819970
Ground: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686175256
Poison: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1682259171
Fighting: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686810327
Rock: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686816079
Bug: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1686830678
Ice: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1683415527-r0kpz8rpqd4oa87pq1kscjwta36ycjvpw
Ghost: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1683402938
Dragon: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1683379753
(i tried to avoid counting games where my opponent disconnects early but this is legit impossible)

Honestly, this challenge isn't nearly as hard as it sounds on paper. I find that people on low ladder (especially in RBY) have the intelligence of a rock. I won a lot of the challenges first try, too. Maybe I just got lucky.

MONOTYPE TIER LIST

Slowbro Tier:

• Psychic
  • Water
Very easy, can be done in 1-2 tries:
  • Normal
  • Electric
  • Flying
Made significantly easier with Wrap:
  • Grass
  • Poison
Actually Difficult, takes some dedication:
  • Ice
  • Fire
  • Ground
Agony:
  • Rock
  • Bug
  • Fighting
  • Ghost
ACTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE:
  • Dragon

"Usually useless Parasect"

Spore
Swords Dance
Hyper Beam
Leech Life

Basically can only switch in on resting snorlax or sing chansey that has already slept a different pokemon (No ice).
It can also come in after a team-mate dies and instantly threatens with spore.

Parasect is hilarious, because Spore can't miss, in effect you can sleep Snorlax forever (Speed tie, showdown alternates which mon goes first, so use Spore if you move 2nd or swords dance if you move 1st). In a straight 1v1 Parasect actually always wins for this reason.
At +6 attack, leech life basically becomes "recover", but deals damage. This is actually a key to longevity. Some Chansey matchups (depends on their moveset) are basically free healing (Recover more HP from leech life than you "lose" from seismic toss).

What's the point in winning if you don't look cool? Boring, drab teams with dull pokemon sprites like Tauros...gross. Even if you win you're still a loser.

The solution is simple: teams made with pokemon of only one colour. Through extensive research I've discovered that yellow and pink are the coolest colours in RBY.

My all yellow team dazzles opponents into submission, leaving them confused and jealous: https://pokepast.es/a54ff14977587a76

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1676387775-7d6rap6f3tw0v2msncnhao4ifyvv184pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1681715657-6qkpddshc94aekl7a4t4auigluayopjpw

My all pink team is perfect for the pokemon master who's in touch with his feminine side: https://pokepast.es/232584d53b233c84

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1677206315
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1698078152

Last edited:

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
What's the standard for VRs being moved to this thread? Is the last VR posted not qualified to be moved despite saying outright they don't have any results? I read a certain someone's wall and I can't disagree with the sentiment tbh.
There isn't a standard from what I'm aware. I think it would be ideal if all "unqualified" VRs were moved here as to not give people outside the RBY community the wrong idea about the meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)