ORAS OU Rate the first team of a newbie~

Hello! As the title says this is my first team I've made for competitive battling.

I don't know much about the competitive scene so I'm not sure what the tier-list is. Nor do I know exactly what each mon is meant for so I might be using a mon in the wrong fashion.

This team is likely terrible as it's my first but I hope I'll be able to get plenty of constructive criticism.

Also I don't have access to pokemon that can't be naturally caught in Omega Ruby as I don't have pokebank nor Alpha Sapphire.

Here is my team:

SpA Sweeper - Tornadus
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Prankster(unsure how to get Defiant)
Moves: Hurricane, Focus Blast, Heat Wave, U-Turn
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe

I chose tornadus first because I wanted to build my team around them, they have good type coverage with the moves and can beat any rock types that show up with a focus blast and a decent speed stat of 353. Sadly I only have Prankster, which is useless with this set, but if one of my moves get changed to a status move that will be a lot more useful. Also can cover both Mega Gyarados and Umbreon's fighting type weakness.
---
Atk Sweeper - Mega Gyarados
Item: Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Moves: Dragon dance, Earthquake, Waterfall, Crunch
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

I chose Gyaradose as my mega because I liked the typing, it helped against mismagius's ghost weakness along with Magnezone's ground weakness. He can set up sweep with D-Dance and the STAB from Waterfall or Crunch, his speed being decently high so he can outspeed any major threats. Mold Breaker allows him to his flying types or pokemon with levitate/air balloon with Earthquake, allowing him to sweep teams that set up or earthquake.
----
Def Wall/Rocks/Spinner - Donphan
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Moves: Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Knock Off, Rapid Spin
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def

I chose Donphan as my rocks setup as his ground type is immune to Gyados and Tornadus's electric weakness. Sturdy guarentees me being able to set up rocks as long as a normal lead. His bulkiness helps him being switched in to take a physical hit and still hopefully be able to set up.
----
Healer - Umbreon
Items: Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Moves: Toxic, Baton Pass, Heal Bell, Foul Play
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD

Umbreon was chosen as a healer as he has good SpD and can use heal bell to cure any ailments my team may have. He can be a threat against enemies that try to set up with high attack but low spead as Foul Play's damage goes off the opponenets Atk stat. Synchronize lets him be switched into an ailment and pass it to the opponent as well, and again with heal bell he can heal himself of the ailment rather easily.
----
Bulky Supp - Mismagius
Items: Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Will-O-Wisp, Hex, Taunt, Pain Split
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 Spe

Mismagius wasn't chose for any particular reason besides I felt a ghost type pokemon would be good in my team as where it was. Also taunt can be helpful against teams that like to set up sweep. A pokemon that can use Will-O-Wisp was needed to help lower any Atk sweepers on the enemy team. Hex was brought simply to take advantage of all the status affects my team brings.
----
SpA Sweeper - Magnezone
Items: Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet-Rise
Moves: Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, Tri-Attack
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe

Magnezone was chosen as a check to any fair types that may be used against my Dark type heavy team. Another reason he was chosen is Volt Switch allows me to slow switch if I have a pokemon better suited for a certain match-up. Tri-Attack was taken simply because I didn't have any clue what else to take as I couldn't bring HP Fire.(Explained in notes)

Notes:
Umbreon doesn't have Wish as I don't know how to breed it to them.
Magnezone doesn't have HP Fire as I don't know how to get it to them.
I didn't share IVs as I am currently trying to find a 6IV Ditto along with unsure of how to get Tornadus to 6IVs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)