Gen 3 Rate My New Team

Alright, so this is my edited team from the one a couple threads down.

I'm just going with the standard, recommended EV spreads and natures given on this site, so I won't include those here. I'm making this ingame, so no HP, and no D/P pokes. I'm just going to list the poke, the item, and the moves.

Salamence @ Leftovers
- Dragon Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

My lead. I've heard CBmence makes a better lead, since DD is tougher to set up at the very beginning of a match. However, this one has Lefties recovery, and a more optimal EV spread for defending against physical attacks, which I really need. This team is much better against Special Attacks.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Surf
- Substitute

My only BPer. It can wishpass and subpass to the rest of the team, and it can take hits fairly well, I guess. Is one BPer enough, or would it be better to have a BP chain on this team?

Gengar @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Yeah, it's here to take down Blisseys. Standard McIceGar.

Blissey @ Leftovers
- Seismic Toss
- Thunderwave
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam

Do you think Heal Bell would be better instead of Ice Beam? My curselax can rest off statuses, but the rest of my team can't reallly do anything...

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Shadow Ball

Standard Curselax. Fun stuff.

Sceptile @ Leftovers
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Leaf Blade
- Thunderpunch

Hehehe. Subseeder here to piss the crap out of other people. Smogon says have HP Ice, but since I can't get a decent HP, I'm just going with Thunderpunch. Maybe I could use Protect instead?

The Sala is 4x weak to ice, of course. I have two weaks to fighting, and single weaks to almost all the other types, excluding Steel, Ground, Water, and Normal. I have immunites to Normal, Water, and Fighting, and two immunities to Ghost and Ground, plus a crapload of resistances, so I think type wise, there's no glaring hole.

So, any advice?

you lack a good ttar counter, boah or ddtar would both wreck this team.

consider protect > sub on vappy

mcgar is kinda outdated and doesnt work all that well anymore. You dont have any sleeping moves so consider hypnosis.

Vaporeon/mence/scep/gar all hate status, so probably use aromatherapy/heal bell over twave on bliss.

Sceptile just doesnt really fit that well here, i would suggest changing it to something to counter ttar better, probably claydol or swampert.

you have a major spikes/skarm weakness as well so claydol might be a good fit to put in over scep. Could also try magneton in there to help with mence/lax sweeps.

Yeah, I posted this on another forum (gamefaqs) and got another response over there about lack of a phazer.

So I'm definitely putting Heal Bell in and taking Ice Beam out. I'll probably change Vappy's sub to a protect.

How about I take out the McGar and Sceptile, and put in a Skarmory and a Swampert? I could put in my Sceptile in a just-for-fun team, along with a pressure-stalling Aerodactyl. :-)

What kind of Swampert should I put in? Cursepert sounds good, and with Curselax, I have two pokes that can set up Curse, although that doesn't really mean anything, I guess.

And I've always been told that in 386-play, Spikes isn't that big of a deal, unlike in D/P where there's Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock. I'd still need to deal with Skarm as a Physical Wall, but I don't necessarily need a spinner, do I?

And I've always been told that in 386-play, Spikes isn't that big of a deal, unlike in D/P where there's Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock. I'd still need to deal with Skarm as a Physical Wall, but I don't necessarily need a spinner, do I?
skarm/pert/ttar/zapdos are probably the most popular pokemon in this generation. Skarm is on basically all defensive minded teams and spikes are very common in this gen.

From experience you need to follow these rules:
Options:
1. Have a spinner, (starmie, dol, forry)
2. Everything can do 50%+ to skarm
3. Have at least 4 pokemon immune to spikes
4. Use magneton, and pray its not cloyster spiking on you

Without one of those 4 checked your team basically will always fail vs skarmory. Skarm can come in very easily on lax/bliss/mence, and there's nothing you can do to stop that, so you need to find a way to check one of those options.

For Pert, the popular set at the moment is restalk/ice beam/earthquake. Or use hydro pump/earthquake/ice beam/roar (or protect over roar). Curse just makes the skarm situation even worse, and with the lack of phazer on the team i reccomend the 2nd set with roar over protect.

Alright, maybe I can make my Salamence a CBmence, so that I can give it flamethrower to hit Skarm. I'll take out my Vappy, I guess, since basically my entire team has leftovers recovery anyway. I'll put in a Rapid Spinning Starmie, which will also help with special sweeping.

Starmie @ Leftovers
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

So:
CBmence - Lead
Skarmory
Blissey (cleric)
Restalk Swampert
Curselax
Rapid Spinning Starmie

How's that sound?

Surf should be run over Ice Beam on Starmie, since you already have 2 other Pokemon who have it.

The one potential weakness I can see is Magneton. With Skarmory disposed of, your team is open to getting beaten down by Normal attacks (namely from Tauros and Snorlax).

Hey, any way you all think I could work a DDing Dragonite into this team? Would it make it better, and who would I take out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)