Gen 1 Rate my Gen 1 OU team

Nobody rated my Gen 3 OU team, so I decided to upload this as well.

Patrick (Starmie)
Ability: No Ability
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Surf
- Blizzard

Named after the starfish from spongebob. Thunder wave now, so it can slow down pokemon.
Recover for longevity, blizzard for grass types.
I didn’t give it psychic cause the only threatening pokemon weak to psychic is Gengar, and I already have Exeguttor for that.

Fatter Fatass (Snorlax)
- Body Slam
- Amnesia
- Blizzard
- Rest

Blizzard can hit Exeguttor and Zappos pretty hard.
I chose hyper beam over self-destruct because it has more base power and doesn’t kill you when you use it.
Earthquake for the Golems, Rhydons, Jolteons, etc.

Egginator (Chansey) (F)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

It can wall special attackers like Alakazam and thunder wave them.
Ice beam can kill ground types or Zapdos hard.
Reflect so it take more physical moves.

Bullseye (Tauros) (M)
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Body Slam

Earthquake kills Gengars and Rhydons that try to wall it,
It can also kill Exeguttor with its blizzard,
And body slam can paralyze any fast pokemon trying to switch in.

Fresh Tree Eggs (Exeggutor)
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Explosion

I found in a fight with where Exeguttor has mega drain and Starmie has blizzard, Exeguttor tends to win.
It’s not always gonna win, since Starmie is fast and will might crit. Sleep powder for pokemon that threaten to kill it like Snorlax,
Psychi against Gengar and Explosion for pokemon with bad defense.

Napstablook (Gengar)
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Night Shade

It’s the ghost from undertale!
It can switch in to exploding pokemon, Tauros using hyper beam, and thunderbolt can kill water types.
Hypnosis is here for the same reason Exeguttor has sleep powder,
Night Shade for consistant damage against walls and Explosion for low defense pokemon.

Last edited:
I personally would not want to run that Snorlax set. Either commit to a 4 attack Lax or use Rest alongside Amnesia and/or Reflect to help tank things. Also if you're using Starmie as a lead Thunder Wave is generally recommended. Surf is more used on Starmie in the back for lategame neutral power, so I'd drop that. Otherwise I don't have much to say, this is a pretty standard team.

Hey, HeavyLobster is right in that you'd really be better off with a different Lax set. You really ought to be running Body Slam- it generally deals more damage than EQ, can be spammed unlike HBeam, and has a 30% para chance, which I cannot stress enough how valuable this is to Lax. It's actually a solid para spreader thanks to the raw power behind its Body Slam forcing opponents to recover, while it benefits tremendously from Para given its bad speed.

Rest is rather mediocre without Reflect or Amnesia bolstering Lax's survivability, which undermines its defensive potential. Most pokemon can at least Restloop unprotected Lax, which means you're really at the mercy of RNG. On the flipside, the damage output from Blizzard is underwhelming- Lax's mediocre special, coupled with the excellent special bulk of Egg/Zap means that it's not actually that much better a lot of the time than Body Slam.

In general this Lax set seems a bit aimless. You've clearly tried to maximise its super effective coverage, but strayed far from Lax's strengths in the process, resulting in a set that misses the mark both defensively and offensively. I think you'd be better off with a more standard set- 4 attack Lax or AmnesiaLax are both potent wallbreakers, while Reflect maximises Lax's defensive potential while still being a respectable threat

Also FYI, Selfdestruct is stronger than Hyper Beam despite having a lower power stat. When Selfdestruct damage is calculated, the opponent's defense stat is halved for that calculation, giving Selfdestruct an effective power of 260.

The other thing that I'll flag is that your post doesn't really give much insight into why you chose certain pokemon, and I get the impression that there's no overarching strategy. Furthermore, your move choices sound like they're designed to maximise the matchups of the pokemon using the move, without considering how it can affect the game to benefit other team members. I think you need to ask questions such as:
  • How am I closing out games (i.e. what's your win condition)? What does that scenario look like?
  • How are the pokemon/move choices I make going to steer the game towards that winning scenario?
  • How can my pokemon/move choices support the rest of the team to make them function better?
The other thing I'll ask is, how did you come up with this team? Like what was the idea that led to the creation of this team. For instance, I might build a team around a certain Pokemon (e.g. Articuno), or I might use a combo that works well together (e.g. Jolteon+Articuno), or I might even have an idea to play a certain way (e.g. stall and fish for a freeze)

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Alr, I’ve added the changes, is there anything else I should do? Also thank you so much for the advice!
Yeah try to not add your own RMT on someone's RMT, post a separate thread. Also make sure you add a description on why you picked that mon.

Hey, HeavyLobster is right in that you'd really be better off with a different Lax set. You really ought to be running Body Slam- it generally deals more damage than EQ, can be spammed unlike HBeam, and has a 30% para chance, which I cannot stress enough how valuable this is to Lax. It's actually a solid para spreader thanks to the raw power behind its Body Slam forcing opponents to recover, while it benefits tremendously from Para given its bad speed.

Rest is rather mediocre without Reflect or Amnesia bolstering Lax's survivability, which undermines its defensive potential. Most pokemon can at least Restloop unprotected Lax, which means you're really at the mercy of RNG. On the flipside, the damage output from Blizzard is underwhelming- Lax's mediocre special, coupled with the excellent special bulk of Egg/Zap means that it's not actually that much better a lot of the time than Body Slam.

In general this Lax set seems a bit aimless. You've clearly tried to maximise its super effective coverage, but strayed far from Lax's strengths in the process, resulting in a set that misses the mark both defensively and offensively. I think you'd be better off with a more standard set- 4 attack Lax or AmnesiaLax are both potent wallbreakers, while Reflect maximises Lax's defensive potential while still being a respectable threat

Also FYI, Selfdestruct is stronger than Hyper Beam despite having a lower power stat. When Selfdestruct damage is calculated, the opponent's defense stat is halved for that calculation, giving Selfdestruct an effective power of 260.

The other thing that I'll flag is that your post doesn't really give much insight into why you chose certain pokemon, and I get the impression that there's no overarching strategy. Furthermore, your move choices sound like they're designed to maximise the matchups of the pokemon using the move, without considering how it can affect the game to benefit other team members. I think you need to ask questions such as:
  • How am I closing out games (i.e. what's your win condition)? What does that scenario look like?
  • How are the pokemon/move choices I make going to steer the game towards that winning scenario?
  • How can my pokemon/move choices support the rest of the team to make them function better?
The other thing I'll ask is, how did you come up with this team? Like what was the idea that led to the creation of this team. For instance, I might build a team around a certain Pokemon (e.g. Articuno), or I might use a combo that works well together (e.g. Jolteon+Articuno), or I might even have an idea to play a certain way (e.g. stall and fish for a freeze)
Just posted my Ubers team for approval, and, reading this, I realise I missed a lot of points you mentioned. I have some sort of a "strategy" in mind - make Mewtwo vs Mewtwo or Mewtwo vs Chansey stall war with something left on my party in case I lose. But I noticed how my playstyle shifted towards exploding everything and hope fpr the best. I have veru primitive combinations in mind like Lively Kiss with Jynx, than switch my SD/Exp in, but nothing comes close to trying to manipulate my opponent's decisions.

Does reactive playstyle have any chance? Cos all I really do is try to react and I have no idea how to learn those strategy and team building things. I know there're resources, but I'm too dumb to understand them amd implement the knowlege.

I think I got a little better after playing like 3-5 matches every day since June, 1. Can I just play and evolve gradually on my own? I mean, I obviously CAN, but will it work? You think it's possible to become a better player just by years of trying and failing without reading manuals?

Just posted my Ubers team for approval, and, reading this, I realise I missed a lot of points you mentioned. I have some sort of a "strategy" in mind - make Mewtwo vs Mewtwo or Mewtwo vs Chansey stall war with something left on my party in case I lose. But I noticed how my playstyle shifted towards exploding everything and hope fpr the best. I have veru primitive combinations in mind like Lively Kiss with Jynx, than switch my SD/Exp in, but nothing comes close to trying to manipulate my opponent's decisions.

Does reactive playstyle have any chance? Cos all I really do is try to react and I have no idea how to learn those strategy and team building things. I know there're resources, but I'm too dumb to understand them amd implement the knowlege.

I think I got a little better after playing like 3-5 matches every day since June, 1. Can I just play and evolve gradually on my own? I mean, I obviously CAN, but will it work? You think it's possible to become a better player just by years of trying and failing without reading manuals?
You absolutely can become a good player by trying and failing, I don't think it's possible to become good without doing so. Reading articles can help wrap your head around things but generally offer at most a surface level understanding that's of limited use in game. So long as you always try to find ways you could've played better, you'll eventually start improving

I don't think a purely reactive style is great, it's generally better to have a strategy to work towards. That said, it doesn't have to be a complex strategy. In ubers you might pick a M2 set and say "this is my win condition". From there you can figure out what's stopping it from winning games and add components to the rest of your team to deal with whatever's stopping M2

Nobody rated my Gen 3 OU team, so I decided to upload this as well.

Patrick (Starmie)
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Surf
- Blizzard

Named after the starfish from spongebob. Thunder wave now, so it can slow down pokemon.
Recover for longevity, blizzard for grass types.
I didn’t give it psychic cause the only threatening pokemon weak to psychic is Gengar, and I already have Exeguttor for that.

Fatter Fatass (Snorlax)
- Body Slam
- Amnesia
- Blizzard
- Rest

Blizzard can hit Exeguttor and Zappos pretty hard.
I chose hyper beam over self-destruct because it has more base power and doesn’t kill you when you use it.
Earthquake for the Golems, Rhydons, Jolteons, etc.

Egginator (Chansey) (F)
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

It can wall special attackers like Alakazam and thunder wave them.
Ice beam can kill ground types or Zapdos hard.
Reflect so it take more physical moves.

Bullseye (Tauros) (M)
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Body Slam

Earthquake kills Gengars and Rhydons that try to wall it,
It can also kill Exeguttor with its blizzard,
And body slam can paralyze any fast pokemon trying to switch in.

Fresh Tree Eggs (Exeggutor)
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Explosion

I found in a fight with where Exeguttor has mega drain and Starmie has blizzard, Exeguttor tends to win.
It’s not always gonna win, since Starmie is fast and will might crit. Sleep powder for pokemon that threaten to kill it like Snorlax,
Psychi against Gengar and Explosion for pokemon with bad defense.

Napstablook (Gengar)
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Night Shade

It’s the ghost from undertale!
It can switch in to exploding pokemon, Tauros using hyper beam, and thunderbolt can kill water types.
Hypnosis is here for the same reason Exeguttor has sleep powder,
Night Shade for consistant damage against walls and Explosion for low defense pokemon.
Make your gengar ur lead and definitely i think u could change the lax set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)