Project RarelyUsed Teambuilding Competition (round 18: Staraptor) submissions open until Augist 12thth)

:sv/arboliva: Week 3: Arboliva :sv/arboliva:
1679323024928.png

This week we will be building around Arboliva. Arboliva is a unique pokemon in typing and role, and is one of our only grass types in the tier alongside rotom-mow. Its normal typing adds a few unique quirks, helping in its matchup against ghost types like Mismagius while unfortunately making it weak vs the many fighting types in the tier, but it has a hidden perk of allowing Arboliva to use tera blast without giving up on a STAB move pre-terastalization. Arboliva can play a variety of different roles and has a wide range of viable moves and EV spreads ranging from fully defensive to fully offensiive, or possibly taking more of a support role for its team with terrain extender and grassy terrain. Brainstorm the best way to pair Arboliva with pokemon that can switch into its weaknesses or bait in easy switches for arboliva, then share your team here.

Teambuilding criteria:
Your team submission must be legal in SV RU and have Arboliva on it.

Submission deadline: Teams should be submitted by 11:59 PM (GMT-4) on Friday, March 24th, voting will then go until 11:59 PM (GMT-4) on Sunday, March 26th.

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
:sv/arboliva: :sv/crabominable: :sv/clawitzer: :sv/klefki: :sv/slowbro: :sv/rabsca:

So for this week, I tried to build around a playstyle I feel like is a bit under represented in the tier: trick room. I've then opted for a bulky but offensive LO Arboliva with Seed Sower which minimizes the negative effect of LO and boost its grass attacks with Tera Fire to go through the bell and Cryo. I paired it with Band Crabominable because I have some experience with it and it works really well in the tier: fighting stab as we know is broken but especially alongside ice stab to break through grounds and Altaria (and tpunch for Slowbro). Clawitzer can do huge damage thanks to its ability and coverage to kinda finish what the breakers have started (tera fighting aura sphere can also surprise 2HKO Blissey which can be a problem for Arboliva). As for the TR setters, I've opted for Klefki for the prio, NP Slowbro because this thing can win games on its own and finally Rabsca which is surprisingly tanky and can also revive a breaker if needed.

Finally found the guts to post in here hehe and I'm very motivate to post more ! Hope you'll like the team, it works pretty well from my experience but this is maybe due to the fact that people suck against TR. Arboliva really hits like a truck and I think people playing it defensively are really missing out on something super fun.

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Now it's crazy time

:sv/bombirdier: :sv/palossand: :sv/rotom-heat: :sv/gardevoir: :sv/revavroom: :sv/arboliva:
Wild Offense

Really wild team I was making that makes no sense at all. Wanted to try a specs Palossand set for fun, EVs are for scarf Flamigo. Rocks Bird cause Knock Off is super fun and actually pretty strong. Gardevoir is the speed control and anti weather option I guess. Rotom-Heat is just a random breaker slapped there cause I think it pairs well with the CB Revavroom set being used. Finally, Occa Berry Arboliva cause I forgot a fire resist and I was too lazy to fix that, so it's not a bad lure cause usually Rotom-Heat has to take 2 Hyper Voices to NP and kill u so it kinda works. It's not great but it's rlly fun.

:arboliva: :passimian: :rotom-heat: :palossand: :revavroom: :florges:
Eject Pack Arboliva + Choice Band Passimian
Nice little VoltTurn(Pack) team with CB Passimian, a very underrated breaker thanks to Knock Off and great coverage. Tera Blast Arboliva is a nice 2in1 with Normal STAB and sniping Rotom-Heat and Kilowattrel with Rock-type Tera Blast. Toxic Spikes from Revavroom help a lot with VoltTurn teams, and Passimian's Defiant deters Defog even from an Altaria, as it will be 2HKO'd by +2 CC into burned CC after SR damage. CM Florges is great to deal with opposing special boosters, and lures Revavroom with its Speed investment and Ground-type Tera Blast.

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
This team is good I’ve used it for two rounds of rult
:sv/palossand: :sv/arboliva: :sv/revavroom: :sv/altaria: :sv/eelektross: :sv/tauros-paldea-aqua:
It’s 2-1 rn and I feel like the only reason it flopped vs stall was because of my own impatience and the particular make up of GK’s stall. Other than that it has performed sl extremely well, dismantling opposing balances with ease vs GK and guille14. The palossand+alt core is a great defensive core I propped up in my VR Nom. In fact many of the replays provided in that post are of this team performing well. Arboliva is really strong. It’s Leaf Storms are extremely effective in wearing down resists, along with nuking would be switch ins like Vroom with its coverage. Chose fairy for the time being as it is good move to click but fighting and dragon are both solid as well. Scarf vroom is a great lure+speed control mon in general, and as seen in my g1 vs GK able to eliminate very fast threats early on in games. Eel is very under utilized but has a solid niche in the meta being able to check all the opposing electric types along with many of the special attackers in the tier. You can experiment with CC or Dragon tail >discharge to nail blissey or phase opponents pieces around. Tauros rounds off the team in a succinct manner. It gives some relative speed(it’s speed tier is really solid in our meta) and it also gives the team a wincon besides the breaking power of Tree.

:sv/salazzle: Week 4: Salazzle :sv/salazzle:
1679946827816.png

The subject of this week's contest is Salazzle. Salazzle has been a powerful pokemon in all 3 gens of RU it has been available. It has a very strong speed and Special attack stats make it exceptional at revenge killing and sweeping, but Salazzle also has a few unique traits that give it more utility than other glass cannons with high offenses but low defenses. Corrosion is a uniquely powerful ability in the current gen 9 meta, as with no heal bell or aromatherapy it can be hard to switch into a toxic from Salazzle. There are a large number of utility moves in Salazzle's kit that can be used to make Salazzle a versatile threat. Knock off is a useful move that few other pokemon have right now, encore allows it to beat setup sweepers and lock opponents into exploitable moves, nasty plot can turn it into a threatening win condition and substitute and protect can help it win through status. There are many ways you can build with Salazzle, whether it be a choice locked attacker, a 4 in 1 utility pokemon, a toxic staller with leftovers or a dangerous sweeper. Find ways to exploit Salazzle's unique traits and unpredictability through teammates like Klefki who appreciate knock off or Arboliva to switch into the attacks that threaten it, then share your creation here.

Teambuilding criteria:
Your team submission must be legal in SV RU and have Salazzle on it.

Submission deadline: Teams should be submitted by 11:59 PM (GMT-4) on Friday, March 31th, voting will then go until 11:59 PM (GMT-4) on Sunday, April 2nd.

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
:sv/salazzle: :sv/heracross: :sv/altaria: :sv/bronzong: :sv/bombirdier: :sv/gardevoir:

This week was harder than I expected cause I wanted to use more than just support lazzle so I've come up with this Salazzle Life Orb NP + Tera fighting and let me tell you this is a real banger to use. LO + NP give lazzle all the power it needs to sweep at any point of the game and the tera helps break nacl, coal and 2hkos Blissey which feels so darn good. The only obstacles are faster mons and Dragalge. So to help with that I've added a scarf Heracross which can bait and surprise KO kilo, weav and scarf Garde. Next we got imo the most reliable hazard remover in Altaria bc sr are quite annoying for lazzle and spikes reveal the zong set. And so yea to complete the defensive core, I wanted to try Zong who doesn't lose to Heatom and to my own surprise it worked really well which is nice. And to round it up we got Bombirdier for koff and pivot and Specs Gardevoir with Teleport which I've been using quite a lot recently and it works really well as garde forces a lot a switchs (with Zong it also helps getting rid of Dragalge). These two bring some power to chip the opposing team and pivot well into Salazzle and Tauros.

Overall the team feels really good and Salazzle truly shines as a breaker in most games. I haven't taken the time to go in details on some sets so don't hesitate to give me feedbacks or ask questions on lazzle or zong for exemple hehe.
Edit tier shifts: had to replace scarf Tauros by the Hera there, it's a bit less tanky but still does the job it's supposed to do + it can snowball easily which makes lazzle's job a bit lighter.

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
:sv/salazzle: :sv/bellibolt: :sv/krookodile: :sv/klefki: :sv/flamigo: :sv/cryogonal:
Belli Spikes + Knock Lazzle

I felt like making a team with spikes, a fat Bellibolt and a knock user in Salazzle. Added Flamigo for speed control, and Krook and Keys for hazards. The team takes a weird turn when u see Cryogonal, but teams like this one lose really hard to quiver dancing pokemon, so Haze Cryogonal can handle most, and vs Frosmoth you can just limit how much it can set up before Flamigo can rkill it. It's a bit more on the offensive side, but I really do think Bellibolt can fit normally in these types of teams.

Yourwelcomethanku

._.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
:Salazzle: :Appletun: :Klefki: :Palossand: :Gardevoir: :Slowbro:

I used this team in RULT, I think it's alright. Appletun just has a lot of great defensive qualities in a tier with Rotom forms, Arboliva, and Mudsdale. It can also Dragon Tail and along with Salazzle's Knock Off and Spikes, rack up entry hazard damage on Knock Offed foes. Palossand checks Toxtricity, provides Stealth Rock, and can spinblock. Gardevoir combines Choice Scarf user and Oricorio check. Slowbro acts as a win condition and checks big bad Flamigo.

Moon

Grossly Incandescent
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
:alomomola: :bronzong: :sableye: :whiscash: :salazzle: :oricorio-pom-pom:
Coming in with a last minute entry if I can. I thought it would be fun to try and make a semi-stall that makes use of Lazzle's insane move pool and speed tier that can revenge some threats in a pinch. Its ability to spread knock off and toxic is something most stall mons are desperately missing. You can use Blissey I guess if you want.

Replay of an alternate version that shows off the set in the stall mirror.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)