National Dex Rank 1 - Dragapult Hyper Offense

Valentine

Banned deucer.
[Rank 1 - Dragapult Hyper Offense]

[Foreword]

I've had free time to have fun with the game and no tier is more fun than National Dex OU. Mega Pokemon, Z-Moves and Hidden Powers make the tier a blast and reminiscent of Gen 7, and honestly even earlier Offense metagames like DeoSharp. S/o blunder and aim for showcasing the tier.

Hyper Offense is my favorite playstyle and it has been a pleasure to throw OU’s best mons of all time on a team and play. Some general HO guidelines -- pick a favorite Magearna set, find something to consistently set Stealth Rocks, and finish with strong setup mons to break and sweep! I spoke with Nat Dex veterans and they were kind enough to share HO builds below. These all highlight Dragapult as it is currently devastating the tier.

[Imports]

built by Valentine :magearna: :landorus-therian: :tapu koko: :hawlucha: :dragapult: :kartana:
built by peapo dc 豆 :magearna: :landorus-therian: :rillaboom: :hawlucha: :dragapult: :greninja:
built by SputnikGT :magearna: :mew: :rillaboom: :charizard: :dragapult: :bisharp:

There are many different variations to go with, the possibilities really are endless.

[Set Breakdown]

:ss/magearna:
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon

Personally I think Magearna is phenomenal. People will tell you Magearna isn't even in the top 10. I beg to differ. Gear is banned in Gen 8. When you look back on Gen 7, the next thing on the chopping block really was Magearna. Magearna's deep movepool, typing and ability make it a unique and terrifying threat. Access to Iron Defense, Shift Gear, Calm Mind and Z-Move Soul-Heart Boosts give it setup options to dismantle any opposing team. No team is prepared for the right Magearna set. Shift Gear + Z-Move kill -- and you're swept. Iron Defense, Stored Power Draining Kiss, nothing can kill you, you're swept. People will mention Haze Pex, or the prevalence of Heatran, but they're not mentioning the times they've got blown away by Electric Fighting coverage.

Not only does Gear have incredible offensive prowess, It’s one of the tiers premier pivots. Specially Defensive Heart Swap Magearna has an excellent niche, stealing boosts from opposing setup sweepers, such as Gear, that could otherwise sweep your team. It’s also nice to Heart Swap away SpA drops from Fluer Cannon. Gear functions as a way to stop getting swept by setup and opposing Greninja specifically. Volt Switch is of course mandatory, with Pain Split or Twave as additional support options. Peapo DC has a killer Gear set above, Calm Mind Pain Split, that allows your HO team to demolish stall. Your Magearna can be adjusted to sweep, take hits, or dismantle stall.

The AV set above gave me a consistent switch-in to prevalent attackers such as Greninja, Dragapult, and really any special attacker. Being able to sponge a hit and Volt Switch into a threat safely can gain a lot of advantage. HP Fire is specifically for Mega Scizor, which can be really problematic for this team. Aura Sphere is a consideration to hit incoming Drill a tad harder. Fleur Cannon nukes Lando-T, and other ground types that try to take advantage of Volt Switch. It is also the best way to OHKO Dragapult coming out of Phantom Force. Iron Head was originally for opposing Magearna, but Iron Defense sets will ruin your day. To be perfectly honest, I have switched to a SpDef leftovers set with Vswitch / Fleur / Heart Swap / (Pain Split/TWave) to more consistently wall and get momentum off opposing Greninja and Magearna. But the AV set gives a lot of consistency against Greninja specifically, which would otherwise OHKO the entire team.

:ss/Landorus-Therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Nothing gets up Rocks as consistently and smoothly and Landorus. Stone Edge has been amazing tech to peg the incredible amount of Zapdos and Charizard on the ladder. It also gives you a nice neutral option against Gliscor and other things you may not want to switch out on. Everytime I put HP Ice over Stone Edge, I immediately run into a Zapdos and regret it. You can tag Charizard Turn 1, when they think they are safe getting a KO, you live Weather Ball thanks to Sash and promptly OHKO. You 2HKO Zappers as they try to Defog, which is a righteous favor for Hawlucha in the back. Explosion is for surprise KOs on things that let you get them too low -- Mega Venu, Tang, opposing Lando-T, Gliscor as a few examples. But the primary purpose for Explosion is to ensure rocks against slow Defoggers. Smack Down is an excellent alternative to Stone Edge to more consistently hit your targets, with the added bonus of beating Steel/Flyings. As for the EV spread, I'm truly amazed by the amount of Zapdos my Lando outspeeds. I originally ran Jolly but Adamant has been hands down amazing and I haven’t ran into a faster Zapdos yet. This set will very nearly get you rocks guaranteed, or deal out tons of damage in the process.

:ss/Tapu Koko:
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Specs Koko is a BEAST. You Dazzling Gleam their Lando-T switch-in once and they can't come in again. Spam Volt Switch -> Go Magearna -> Spam Volt Switch -> Go back to Koko. It's embarrassing how many teams just don't have answers to the Vswitch vortex. HP Fire is specifically for the ever annoying Mega Scizor, with the addition of 2HKOing Ferrothorn and Excadrill coming in on your STABs. The main point of this mon is literally just click Volt Switch as much as possible, and Dazzling Gleam the stuff that stops you from doing that.

Koko is a great consideration over Rillaboom specifically to help with Zapdos, Hawlucha, Mega Pinsir, Cinderace, Kommo-O, Skarmory, Toxapex, Corviknight and Celestella matchups. Kokos combination of speed, power and resistances have a lot to offer it’s main partner, Hawlucha.

:ss/hawlucha:
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

Throughout every iteration of the team I built, truly I never changed this set. Hawlucha is such a centralizing set up sweeper in this tier. In a game where speed is so important, especially where +1 Dragapult runs the show, Lucha is really really clutch. Not only do you outpace +1 Pult, you outspeed Mega Pert and Kingdra in Rain. You outspeed Venu in Sun. You resist most reliable forums of priority and Electric Seed +1 Def helps you in that regard already. Taunt shuts down your opponent trying to Toxic, Haze, Whirlwind or otherwise stop your sweep. There's almost nothing that can control the endgame as much as Hawlucha. Find a Ground move, or a weak physical attacker and set that Swords Dance up. This spread specifically is what I attribute multiple accounts in the top of the ladder. Most opposing Hawlucha don't run so much speed -- i'm sure they will consider it now. Inb4 Jolly Luchas. Truly I see no reason to run less speed in a tier where the Lucha speedtie will often decide a game.

:ss/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Clear Body
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Darts
- Flamethrower

In Gen 8, it was hard to know about Dragapult at first. The only Pokemon we could really compare it to in the Past was Deoxys-Speed, and Pheromosa. Nothing else has been so fast in an OU tier before. However, it's high attack stat was invalidated by it's shallow physical movepool. And base 100 Special Attack is so average in a tier with stuff like Chansey and Sdef Clefable. Dragapult has kept it's standing in Gen 8 for the time being. Turns out that is only because we banned Dynamax and Z-moves do not exist (yet) in Gen 8 OU. Ghostium-Z gives Dragapult it's consistent Physical Ghost move, and it is truly disgusting. Never-Ending Nightmare is a nuke that will score you a KO in nearly every game you play. There are so few pokemon that are safe against this monster. People run Mega Tyranitar for the sole purpose of walling and beating this mon.

Players have started running Naive nature, in order to speed tie and outspeed other Dragapult. Personally I think the power of Naughty is too much to give up. Overall, this mon is certainly overcentralizing and should be considered for a suspect.

:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

The Rain matchup was overall horrid and Scarf Kart gave me the best glue to solve the problem. I've ran Scarf Koko and Greninja with Grass Knot to surprise Mega Swampert in the Rain. Others have Rillaboom on their teams to consistently stop Rain. Personally, I happened to run Kartana and it worked out alright. Running this coverage gave me a lot of options of lategame sweeping. Kart outspeeds Adamant Mega Pert in Rain, which is a really nice perk. I often switch Kartana in on Ferro to block Leech Seeds. It's really nice to outpace and OHKO Mega Lopunny, and other Scarfers such as Lele, Jirachi. Notably Kart outspeeds +2 Megearna. Kart definitely has it's uses, mainly making sure you don't lose to Rain, spamming STABs + Knock Off, and eating up a few physical hits after you Explode with Landorus.

[Conclusion]

Hyper Offense is a very fun style that has had limited options in the recent generation. I'm thankful for the ability to play a high variance tier like National Dex, and utilize the strong Offensive options that the tier has to offer.

Last edited:

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hiya Valentine, first of all this team absolutely rocks, and I feel that this team extremely well put together! There are a few nitpicks that I have with this team, mainly with the choiced Pokemon. The reason why I dislike choiced locked Pokemon heavily on hyper offense teams, is that they pretty much sap momentum away from you, and you need all the momentum you can get to yourself on a hyper offense team because if you lose momentum on teams like this you can immediately be put at a disadvantage, this is also the problem I have with AV Magearna on HO, but I feel that can be fixed with a simple set change, however I still feel with Tapu Koko, I am going to need to change that, there's also some set changes like natures and changes to moves to fully optimise this team.

Major Changes

:tapu-koko: :rillaboom:

I am going to keep on saying it, Pokemon with Choice items are absolutely horrendous on hyper offense teams, and I feel Tapu Koko doesn't offer that much here outside of setting up terrain and also the speed tier. But you know what does? Rillaboom. I feel Rillaboom suits this team much nicer because of the fact that it is, in my eyes, much more threatening due to Grassy Glide and Swords Dance, so Rillaboom has more opportunities to sweep teams and its ridiculously threatening while also not being Choice locked, which is the reason why I feel Tapu Koko is bad on hyper offense other than its speed and terrain, but speed on Rillaboom is not really a problem because of Grassy Glide, and Rillaboom is a much better terrain supporter for Hawlucha since its a better Pokemon overall, but there is one more reason why its so good for you, your rain matchup. Grassy Glide after a SD pretty much beats rain with ease, and the fact that it supports your Hawlucha as well, I feel Rillaboom is an excellent addition to your team.
Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

:kartana: :bisharp:

Now that you have Rillaboom for your rain matchup, Kartana doesn't really help you. if anything its even worse for you since its easily abused by stuff like Zapdos and especially Corviknight, which U-turns on your switch in and you lose even more momentum, or can simply just Defog on your switch in. So instead, how about we get a mon that abuses it super hard while also threatening a sweep? Enter, Bisharp. I feel Bisharp is a very essential component on hyper offense teams because it deters those Defoggers, while also giving you equally valuable speed control because of Sucker Punch, which at +2 can OHKO a vast majority of Pokemon, and the Pokemon that are bulky enough or simply resist it can lose to Iron Head. Simply put Bisharp is amazing on hyper offense and I feel it will help your team so much more.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Minor Changes

:magearna:

I feel AV Magearna is truly not needed on a team like this, since its more of a momentum sink than an actual threat on this team since Magearna is very threatening on HO given the right set, so instead I decided to make this Agility Magearna instead because of its amazing snowballing potential late-game.

Magearna @ Metronome
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

:dragapult:

Honestly while I get the idea of Flamethrower on here, I feel its not a great option since all of its targets are absolutely destroyed by Ghostium Z and much more susceptible to stuff like Twave Blissey and Sucker Punchers like Mawile, so I feel that Substitute is a better 4th move on it, not only does Substitute take advantage of a ton of Pokemon, like Slowbro and Blissey, but it also takes advantage of its best trait in that its pretty much impossible to revenge kill without priority users after it sets up, and the only Pokemon that do that well are Sucker Punch users, Weavile and arguably Mega Lopunny, and with a Substitute up they cannot really do that, which makes it even harder to take advantage of and deal with in general and makes sweeping with Dragapult even easier. Also I suggest Timid to outspeed Lopunny and speed tie with other Dragapult

Dragapult @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Substitute

Oh and and Hawlucha needs Grassy Seed and Landorus-T needs Timid but I dont think thats really important to mention

Final Team
:magearna: :landorus-therian: :rillaboom: :hawlucha: :dragapult: :bisharp:

and there we go! i hope you enjoy the team and if u have any questions feel free to ask! :blobthumbsup:

I know this is an old post, but I love this team. I was wondering if there's a way to slot Dragonite into this team somehow? Dragonite's my fav, and I'd love to slot him into a hyper offensive team with Dragapult.

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I know this is an old post, but I love this team. I was wondering if there's a way to slot Dragonite into this team somehow? Dragonite's my fav, and I'd love to slot him into a hyper offensive team with Dragapult.
Dragapult is banned.

Dang. Alright. Well, where can I find a good Dragonite hyper offense team? (I'm not great at team building, so I'd at least like a good base.)
Dnite is kinda bad on ho, better on bulkier teams where it doesn't need to constantly be applying pressure (which dnite is admittedly bad at)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)