Project Random Battles Community Interview #14 - livid washed

eva

I’ll never leave, never mind
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
PS Admin

Art by Syrinix
Grammar checked by sharpclaw
Approved by Forum Moderators

Hosted by:

Tarrembeau and Syrinix
Welcome to the Random Battles Community Interview! The goal of this project is to interview well-known members of the Randbats community every month and learn more about them. These members may include players who’ve been successful in tournaments, high-ladderers, format/forum contributors, and more! Check out past interviews here!

W9TeRxe.png
For our 14th interview, we have the pleasure of interviewing livid washed! Did you know that livid was one of the main developers who wrote the Gen 9 Random Battles code? Aside from their significant technical contributions to rands formats as a co-council leader, livid is very skilled at playing them as well! Notably, they have a title from the World Cup of Randbats 23’ with Team Benelux and ended up as the team’s MVP! They have also finished in 2nd place overall in Rands Slam III!

Without further ado, let’s move onto the interview itself!

Syrinix
Thanks for agreeing to do this interview! Let’s start off with an interesting question… What fictional universe (game/movie/book/etc.) would you most like to live in?

livid washed
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon! I'm a big fan of the games, especially the story (I've played Red/Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky). It seems like an awesome world to be in.

Syrinix
Being in PMD sounds pretty fun since you get to be a Pokemon and all! Great choice. Speaking of Pokemon, you’re a very active member in the Randbats community on Pokemon Showdown. When and how did you find out about the community? What motivated you to get involved?

livid washed
My journey started with Gen 1 rands. After laddering the format a lot, my first foray into the Randbats community was getting invited to a discord specifically for Gen 1 rands and meeting excellent players, some of whom are well-known in the broader Randbats community.

I worked my way up the generations, reaching 1500+ in each ladder before moving on to the next. At some point, I found the forums and had enough confidence to make suggestions, which were generally well-received by the Rands staff. That increased my desire to be further involved.

Syrinix
The Gen 1 Rands community is cool. It’s nice to see how you went from suggesting sets to outright creating them. What was the coding/development experience for the Gen 9 Random Battles format like for you? How did you get involved in this project?

livid washed
In November 2022 I was working on fixing some long-standing Gen 1 sim bugs. Presumably, my coding and interest in Randbats caught Cake's attention, since he messaged me early December on Showdown asking if I'd be interested in coding the framework for Gen 9 Randbats. It was going to use a "role-based" set generation system that was very different from anything that existed previously.

I decided to give it a go, and it went well! He first messaged me on Friday, so we could really focus on coding it during the weekend. It was quite a marathon.

Syrinix
We’re very grateful that you were willing to take on such a massive project! We appreciate the work you’ve put into it, especially since many players enjoy playing with the new system a lot, and it’s been propagated out to past gens as well. How much do you enjoy developing sets for Rands formats?

livid washed
It's pretty fun! It's interesting to hear different people's views on sets and hash out our differences. Not everyone gets what they want, including myself, but seeing the sets continually improve over time is satisfying.

Syrinix
It definitely is! Would you say having in-depth knowledge in set development makes you better at playing in the formats? If yes, how so?

livid washed
In the past, having knowledge of set generation felt like a huge advantage. Before joining the Randbats staff, I read all the code files to understand as much as possible, and created a version of /setodds for personal use. They helped me a lot in battle.

Now, with the very detailed tooltips available, and the new setgen system, having that knowledge isn’t as significant. There are some minor details that the general playerbase may not be aware of; for example, currently Ogerpon, Terapagos, and Tera Blast users can't be on the same team, and being aware of that can provide a competitive advantage. We try to keep such "hidden" knowledge to a minimum.

Syrinix
The tooltips are very convenient, especially since I usually play blitz and don’t have time to use commands haha. What sort of strategies do you use while battling?

livid washed
At the beginning of a game, I try to play carefully and scout, possibly using phazing moves or Yawn to find out their team. I try to take actions that force them to reveal new mons instead of switching in they've already revealed. The more information I can gather about their team, the more I can plan out the mid-late game.

In pre-Heavy-Duty Boots gens I want to get Stealth Rock up as early as possible, but in boots gens that's not as much of a priority. Using Toxic Spikes can force them to reveal a Poison-type or expend Tera Poison, which may be something I can take advantage of.

Syrinix
That’s some great advice! I’ll be sure to note them down… Do you have any Rands formats that you prefer playing? If so, why?

livid washed
Surprisingly, Gen 2 Random Battles is not my favourite format, though it's up there. It's fun but long, so only in moderation.

My favourite formats are Gen 1 and Gen 9. Gen 1 is where I started and I enjoy the simplicity and clicking Body Slam. Gen 9 is wild and Tera can help alleviate bad type matchups.

Syrinix
Great choices! I do enjoy Gen 1 Rands a lot as well for similar reasons. On the other hand, what’s your least favorite aspect about Random Battles?

livid washed
Underpowered Pokemon that we can't do much about, like Unown and pre-Imposter Ditto.

Syrinix
Fair enough, I’m sure many others share the same sort of feeling. You’ve had to play in a good amount of high-stakes battles such as the Rands Slam III Playoffs and the WCOR ‘23 Playoffs tiebreaker against Team USNE. How do you deal with the stress that comes with these battles, if it all?

livid washed
I try to stay relaxed, drink water, and remember that the only thing I can control in a battle is the buttons I click. Think about the moves I'm making, not the opponent I'm playing.

Syrinix
Those methods appear to be working well for you. I should try drinking some water while playing some time as well… Before we wrap up this interview, what kind of advice would you give to newer players, or players seeking to improve their battling skills?

livid washed
Practice, practice, practice. When laddering, watch out for tilt, and remember that not every battle is winnable; this is Randbats after all. Install the tooltip and use the calc or showdex.

A specific in-battle tip: look at your entire team before you make your first move. It's very important! For example, don't indiscriminately click Knock Off if your team has a Poltergeist user. If you have weather or terrain setters, they can enhance or neuter your teammates, especially in permanent weather gens. If you have a pivot move user, your Dugtrio or Gothitelle become that much more dangerous; try to set up favourable situations for them.

Syrinix
Very great tips that I’m sure will help a lot! I’ll definitely be taking the advice about Knock Off into account since I sometimes find myself ignoring the fact that I have a Poltergeist user, haha. Anyways, that about does it for this interview. Thanks so much for participating and providing great answers, we really appreciate it!

Thanks again to livid washed for the great interview! Feel free to ask them any further questions in this thread and keep an eye out for future interviews!

What do you think about Empoleon design wise and in rands? (Give me a serious reply lol)

Did your intensive use of :O start because of the Bellsprout reaction here on Smogon or are there other reasons?

What are the things you liked the most from the time you spent in Belgium?

Hey Livid Washed big fan, i have a question for you
Did you know that if all kangaroos from Australia try to conquer Uruguay, every uruguayo has to defeat 14 kangaroos in order to win the war?
:O
What's your third favorite Pokemon?
I don't really have favourite Pokemon. Of the top of my head, I really like Alakazam, Skarmory, and Snorlax, probably in that order.
What do you think about Empoleon design wise and in rands? (Give me a serious reply lol)
In my opinion, it feels passive in Gen 9 rands. I don't think Roost (and Competitive and Flip Turn) made up for the loss of Scald, Toxic, and Defog. I prefer the Empoleon of past gens, which didn't live forever but also made more progress in return. The lack of Scald/Toxic means that Empoleon can't actually beat many mons it has a good type matchup against, such as Sylveon and Calm Mind Primarina.

It has a lot of resists, but it's also weak to to Fighting and Ground which are common coverage on many types it resists like Dragon and Rock.

On the bright side, Competitive is great for punishing webs and taking advantage of drops from moves like Moonblast and Mystical Fire. It's also immune to Toxic, and its unique typing lets it wall type combinations that are hard to resist like Palkia and Pelipper.
Did your intensive use of :O start because of the Bellsprout reaction here on Smogon or are there other reasons?
It's my favourite emoji and I was spamming it long before I joined Showdown or Smogon. No particular reason, I just like it.
What are the things you liked the most from the time you spent in Belgium?
The food, and working with my colleagues. And, of course, playing in WCOR.
This was great to read, thanks Syrinix and livid wash!

What are some good resources or people to follow to get more into gen 1 randbats?
Like every gen, it comes with practice, don't be intimidated.

If you're new to gen 1, using the tooltip or /randbats command is particularly important. Some mons are hardwalled by others due to their lack of movepool and coverage, and you need to keep this in mind while playing. For example, Zapdos can't do much to Rock/Ground types, and Eevee can't touch Ghost types at all. Hidden Power doesn't exist in gen 1.

Hover over moves and read their descriptions. Many will be different from current gen. For example, Fire Blast has a 30% chance to burn and Blizzard has 90% accuracy.

For most players new to gen 1, the biggest challenge is with gen 1's unique mechanics. https://www.smogon.com/articles/understanding-rby-mechanics is a useful crash course for gen 1 mechanics. Typing /rfaq gen1 in the Random Battles room provides a lot of important information, you can also explore the Ruins of Alph room and the RBY subforum.

He gave a serious reply to us all, it's a belated Christmas miracle :O
I painfully agree that Empoleon could be better for the reasons you mentioned but Game Freak giving it Roost gives me hope for the future (after writing this, I am sure Empo will receive the Scizor treatment in gen 10)

Greetings Livid Washed, am also a big fan! You said, "Practice, practice, practice" was the secret to your strength, but just how much practice does that actually entail? How does one take something from every battle they play?

PS: Not sure if I can ask this as it extends beyond rand bats.
What other things do you program for Showdown? Do you have any recommendations for anyone if they were interested in contributing to the source code? How did you get into programming?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)