Tarrembeau

le moi est incommunicable
is a Community Contributor

Art by Syrinix
Grammar checked by sharpclaw
Approved by Forum Moderators

Hosted by:

Tarrembeau and Syrinix

Welcome to the Random Battles Community Interview! The goal of this project is to interview well-known members of the Randbats community every month and learn more about them. These members may include players who’ve been successful in tournaments, high-ladderers, format/forum contributors, and more! Check out past interviews here!

For our 13th interview, we have the pleasure of interviewing HaunterBoy28! You may have encountered Haunterboy28 on various Random Battles ladders or in some of our subforum tournaments. He made a noticeable debut in the Randbats tournament scene in Rands Slam II, where he qualified to participate in the playoffs! This year, he’s won 2 consecutive opens in Rands Slam III, the DC Classic Open and the Gen 9 Random Doubles Battles Open, which earned him an impressive 4th place spot in the Slam III leaderboard!

Without further ado, let’s move onto the interview itself!

Tarrembeau
alright! Let's break the ice with an unrelated question: are you a sports fan?

HaunterBoy28
Not general sports, no; I like to play pool and follow professional snooker on TV but nothing particularly "physical"

Tarrembeau
oh! I think I spent more time playing pool in high school than doing my homework, it's truly a great game. Pool, rands, are you a competitive game enjoyer or do you like games in general?

HaunterBoy28
See I do love games but I'm naturally a competitive person, always have been! Maybe a little too much so but I don't really like investing time into something I feel "unskilled" in, e.g. I don't hate FPS games but I don't play them because I'm not good at them. Always been a maths and numbers kinda guy so Pokémon fits the bill I guess !

Tarrembeau

Definitely, it's a game of calculation and odds management, after all! Did you play the Pokémon RPG games as a kid?

HaunterBoy28
I got into Pokémon a bit later than other kids my age, starting around 11 y/o during Pokémon GO hype (not as experienced as many players for sure!!). Played OmegaRuby since it was the most recent release at the time, subsequently SM and then got into comp. during USUM. Used to watch the anime and all; fond memories!

Tarrembeau
Did you find out about Smogon and PS! immediately or did you start battling on console? and what led you to this community?

HaunterBoy28
Never wound up playing 6v6 or VGC on console, still don't to this day! It was the YouTube community that brought me here for sure; began with general creators, then I found an interest in draft-focused content through the likes of Joey and PokéMEN7 which funneled me nicely into PS, with 6v6 being the format that piqued my interest most. Watching other creators like Emvee and Blunder is how I improved my game, along with practice of course!

Tarrembeau
Interesting path, I kinda did a similar trajectory but with the French content creators, who are quite active as well. How did you stumble upon Random Battles amidst the chaos of PS formats?

HaunterBoy28
It was mainly the variety if I'm honest. I find teambuilding quite unappealing in metagames that feel stagnant, where you put yourself at a disadvantage by using unique Pokémon that aren't "meta," gross! Randbats requires adaptation and puts more focus on immediate game planning rather than repetition. Also keeps me well away from dreaded high-ladder stall matchups!

Tarrembeau
Random Battles are all about in-game skills, yeah, contrary to teambuilding formats that require prior work. But it's also, well, random! How do you manage to find consistency in such a format?

HaunterBoy28
Consistency is all about mindset for me. There are days when I play around 2am and I'm exhausted, unfocused, and I tilt 100 points. Then other days where my mind is fully in the game and I climb 100 points. I think the main difference between randomised and standard formats is that you can't autopilot when your team changes every game, so it requires as good as 100% attention. I'd say that's 50% of what's involved in "consistency." The other 50% is knowledge; odds of moves on certain 'mons, possible movesets, item recognition and of course calcing go a long way game in, game out!

Tarrembeau
100% agreed. Experiencing tilts can definitely be heartbreaking, though. How do you deal with setbacks, bad streaks, unfortunate losses, etc?

HaunterBoy28
Tough question! I feel like as much as stubbornness makes me want to regain the amount of points I lose and break even, it's vital to step away. I go listen to music, watch YouTube or take a walk; sometimes high ladder games feel like life or death when they really aren't!! There's a life away from the screen that I can't disregard, too, as much as I do love and adore Pokémon, especially competitive. Similarly after tournament losses I simply analyse, notice my mistake(s) and move on; no point dwelling but it's a waste not learning !

Tarrembeau
That's a catchy name for a good principle! You've qualified for Rands Slam playoffs twice in a row now. Are you looking forward to this strong tournament?

HaunterBoy28
Very much so! Had a rocky start to Rands Slam but the 2 individual tourney wins were great for confidence; starting off 4th seed is a huge boost going into playoffs, even if it does feel like trying to climb a mountain of the very best players. Going out R1 in playoffs last year only gave me more of a drive this time around, but we can only see how things pan out, right?!

Tarrembeau
That's the mindset I like to hear! I wish you the best of luck for your coming r1 series. You didn't sign up for CCC, and you weren't part of last year's RBTT. Will you sign up for RBTT7? Are you interested in these Random Battles team tours, or are you focusing solely on the individual performances?

HaunterBoy28
I suppose before now I wanted to learn and improve as much as I could; being at my best before trying to compete with the best. I think that's why it took me over 4 years of being on PS to join my first tournament!! I think getting a placement in the Hall of Fame (and, well, this interview!) has solidified my place as a recognised player. So basically more tournaments in the Rands sphere and maybe some ladder tours in the primary formats down the line, who knows!

Tarrembeau
I understand completely, although I have to say that Random Battles team tournaments are great and fun experiences! Slam is remarkable for its wide variety of formats; do you have one or several favourite ones among them?

HaunterBoy28
Indeed the variety is, again, why I love the Slam tour as much as I do! Random Double Battles is a nice niche that I feel a lot of (other!) strong singles players struggle with! Hackmons Cup is great for pure chaos; there's no joy like seeing a Mime Jr. use Moongeist Beam! But I think overall I clearly shine most in DS Classic, something about pure unadulterated Pokémon—no wacky mechanics like tera and Z-moves—that's just so simple yet appealing. It also takes me back to my DS roots!

Tarrembeau
Chaos do be great. Gen 5, Gen 6 and Gen 7 got revamped recently to use the same role system as Gen 9 Random Battles. Did you notice the difference? Do you have any opinion on that?

HaunterBoy28
Oh all of that disgusting code stuff, how I hate the thought of it so! I did notice some gradual additions and removals of sets recently for sure. If I'm honest I'm not too sure what changes were made in older gens but it was definitely noticeable with the shift into Gen 9. I suppose it's no harm to have continuity between old gens and new; one less thing to worry about when changing between gens.

Tarrembeau
Haha, well, outside of ease of coding, the revamps mainly aimed to remove most of the jank sets that were leftovers from the past. Across all these numerous formats, are there pokemon you particularly enjoy rolling, or sets you like in particular?

HaunterBoy28
Wish passers are always fun to use, balance probably being my favourite archetype to teambuild so it works its way into Randbats that way. Jirachi is easily my favourite overall mon to use; its versatility as well as having one of my favourite designs, typings, and abilities make it a great little guy to roll! Subseeders like Tropius and Jumpluff that have a niche in Randbats are pretty awesome too! On the opposite end I don't really like the Paradox mons because they just feel like less interesting UBs to me, sharing that "stat boost" mechanic.

Tarrembeau
Subseed Tropius has received a lot of hate since the beginning of Gen 9, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one finding it pretty cool! Alright, last but not least, do you have any advice for a new player seeking to improve in Randbats?

HaunterBoy28
Seeing all the Tropius hate made me only love it more! My best advice is practice; I know it's basic but it works!! I can only really advise based upon what I've done myself, so if that's the case then YouTube content is good if you prefer inactive learning (which I often do!). Freezai and PokeaimMD's Randbats to the Top series were very useful for me getting above the 2300 mark, and PKV Pokevin is a great high ladder creator who makes content in a quick and consumable no-nonsense format I really like. At the end of the day you can't be me, so just try to beat me!! (that's a challenge by the way I'm serious)

Tarrembeau
I'd take the challenge but I think I lost most of our ladder encounters so far aha. Anyway, thanks for your time and your inspiring answers !!

HaunterBoy28
Thanks for conducting the interview, it's been a pleasure! See all you budding Randbattlers on the ladder, HaunterBoy28 over and out :)

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
I suppose before now I wanted to learn and improve as much as I could; being at my best before trying to compete with the best. I think that's why it took me over 4 years of being on PS to join my first tournament!!
Haunterboy really said
1699969443804.png

there's no joy like seeing a Mime Jr.
Totally agreed

HaunterBoy28 had an eye on you since the last Slam, but what you achieved this year is a michaelderbeste level things, winning two Opens in a row! Grats again.
My question for you: you speak about how having a lot of practice and patience will make you master something. Now, do you have any competitive advice for the newcomers? What aspects of your team your opponents team, battle pace, you take on account the most?

Now, do you have any competitive advice for the newcomers? What aspects of your team your opponents team, battle pace, you take on account the most?
Haha crazy that you'd compare me to Michael that menace has blasted my ass too many times to admit..! Appreciate it :)
Now to answer your question I would say just stick comp. and take it in at a nice pace. Don't worry about not being high ladder when you start out; sometimes I find mid ladder more stressful than high ladder because at least everyone HL plays similarly and you get to know players as you stick with it. Try different formats of RandBats you don't need to sick with gen 9
To specifically address the latter half of this question, I think the greatest edge rands has over things like OU is a forced lead without team preview. I try to hide Pokémon in the back if possible but of course if a Pokémon in the back is needed early in the matchup then you gotta do what you gotta do! I think Damage Calcs are any new player's best friend; they come pre-equipped with possible items/moves/tera types etc. so you don't have to remember the thousands of interactions you'll come across instantaneously, they'll come over time! :)

Hi, big fan!

You made a great comeback against me in the Rands Doubles finals, do you have any tips for maintaining a good mindset and focus even when losing a lot of ground?
"big fan" is insane please don't treat me like a celebrity LMAO! That was an intense final and very easily could've been a 3-0 win for you fs
I think the way I play tournaments is I treat every individual match as a win or lose; I think if I'd played you with the mindset of 'oh shite I'm 2-0 down I need to win 3 in a row now or else I lose' I would've super lost
Rather I told myself (and tell myself) in the moment 'every game is a game of its own' and then I assess the scoreline only post-match because then I have time to rewatch and recognise what I did right and wrong (very crucial part of tournament play IMHO)
Sidenote the only thing I do now I used to not is drink water throughout matches to literally freshen my mind; might just be the placebo effect but either way it seems to have helped !

Hi, I remember facing you back at some Hackmons Cup tournament, and to see your accomplishments is amazing short said, although it doesn't surprise me considering when I played vs you it seemed you had a lot of grasp knowing what to do in random battles.

With that said, What's your favorite Hackmons Cup tier/gen?

With that said, What's your favorite Hackmons Cup tier/gen?
Sorry haven't been on this thread in a few days but I did / do enjoy Gen 8 the most! Still don't know how I feel about the tera mechanics in Hackmons but dynamax was a lot of fun with the max move variety. The only downside were those 10 bp max moves that were distributed to the most unfortunate souls but otherwise Gen 8 for sure (doubles hackmons is really fun in Gen 9 though can't lie)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)