Tarrembeau

le moi est incommunicable
is a Community Contributor

Art by Syrinix
Grammar checked by sharpclaw
Approved by Forum Moderators

Hosted by:

Tarrembeau and Syrinix

Welcome to the Random Battles Community Interview! The goal of this project is to interview well-known members of the Randbats community every month and learn more about them. These members may include players who’ve been successful in tournaments, high-ladderers, format/forum contributors, and more! Check out past interviews here!

For our 12th interview, we have the pleasure of interviewing Luchik! While maybe best known for being a Gen1 Random Battles enjoyer, Luchik is actually a very diverse player. They won the Hackmons Cup Open II, as well as CCC2 and CCC3. They also participated in two editions of RBTT and have represented team LATAM for both editions of WCOR thus far. Last but not least, they’ll be participating in the Rands Slam playoffs for the second year in a row.

Without further ado, let’s move onto the interview itself!

Tarrembeau
good morning! with the new S/V DLC we got a new pokemon called Sinistcha; are you, yourself, a tea enjoyer?

Luchik
gm! I'm def not a tea enjoyer at all, every time I try to drink tea my glasses get fogged lol. I usually drink coffee (maybe too much) and Mate (South American Infusion), wbu?

Tarrembeau
LOL that's a reasonable reason for never drinking tea. I drink a lot of tea myself, it's a nice companion to get through the day. Oh, Mate is very famous, but I never tried any! Is drinking Mate the way you meet success in Random Battles tours?

Luchik
I have no proofs or doubts about it indeed. Now being serious I just played the game for 9 years now and I’m a no-thinker so if you play for long enough you'll eventually get a good strike

Tarrembeau
9 years is a long-ass time; is that how long ago you discovered Pokemon, or were you playing the actual games even earlier?

Luchik
I don't really remember the first time I played the games, maybe was something like 15 years ago? I knew pokemon from the TV show and then the TCG, I played with the elder kids in my primary school and even learned English only to translate the card effects, so I owe that to the franchise

Tarrembeau
Haha that's a cool way to learn indeed! My brother used to watch movies with subtitles, that's how I got my first grip on English. So from the games and the TCG you ended up playing competitively. How did it start and what drew you to it?

Luchik
I found PS! through a Facebook page and started playing Challenge Cup (BZZZZZ:3) with friends and ladder (couldn't find the Random Battles format at first even though it was right there LOL!) and eventually played Rands and then made an OU team with the mons I thought were OP from my experience, y'know shell smash stuff jajaja
I met ElectricityCat on ladder and we talked and then he invited me to Pandora Showdown. A different PS! SV almost Latino and Español exclusive, there I met a bunch of friends and developed as a player, playing literally every format and OM with borrowed teams

Tarrembeau
That's a nice journey through the possibilities of Pokemon haha. How did you end up in the Randbats community?

Luchik
Always liked to ladder Randbats, casually played SM and then SS, when I found the Randbats room a few years ago and saw the good environment there started to get more involved with ladder and tours, eventually played RBY Rands and za invited me to the RBY Rands-exclusive server, then drafted me for RBTT and I made some friends on the RayquaZAAA team

Tarrembeau
oh yes, that server where I hold the distinction of being dead last on the sheet! RBY Rands is a cool-ass format though. It's even getting into the RBYPL this year! have you signed up for it?

Luchik
Yes I did! I hope the managers do their job researching for Rands players and don't underestimate the tier throwing a filler

Tarrembeau
Same, wish you good luck! Why do you enjoy playing Random Battles?

Luchik
There are a bunch of reasons tbh, I like learning about mons and interactions that you can't learn in teambuilding formats, having to adapt to every kind of situation and playing with mons you don't get to choose, learning about team generation, the community, and obviously i don't like to build

Tarrembeau
You're mostly known for playing Gen1 Rands at this point, but you're also very proficient in a large number of formats. Which ones are your favourite and why?

Luchik
I like Randbats in general, my favorite formats are CC and HC bc of the total randomness and Roulette because I get to play every gen!
For me it's hard to pick one and stick to it so I tend to change, I also really enjoyed SS because it seemed like a format where you could win almost any game if you played it right

Tarrembeau
HC do be complete chaos. You managed to win one of the HC Opens and got to finals in the other; you also won in two separate editions of CCC. Do you think there's a reason for your consistency in such chaotic formats?

Luchik
For CCC I think it's because CC1v1 and 2v2 are the formats I played the most by far and got fairly good at those, for HC and 6v6CC I just try to play by my guts and mostly the odds, having patience to find the right paths. That's the long answer, the short answer and maybe more accurate is sheer luck, someone has to win jajaj

Tarrembeau
Hahaha to be honest I think you need both to succeed in the end. You played a bunch of the Random Battles tours now, is there one you like particularly, or maybe one you're eager to win?

Luchik
Would be awesome to win the tour I’m currently playing, you know which one I’m talking about , not sure when this will be released but I hope the tour ended by that time and we have our mew avy haha

Tarrembeau
Hahaha WCOR must feel great when you win it. I wasn't that lucky. A lot of players, me included, undersold the LATAM team a little bit. What do you think about that? Were you expecting to make it this far?

Luchik
I always trust my managers and my teammates to do their best, I reckon our LU doesn't seem as stacked as some like our current oppos (BeNeLux) but there is no unbeatable team. China was underrated last year but they won (and defeated us by only 1 game) and they are currently winning their semis again so…

Tarrembeau
Wishing you good luck with the end of your run then! Before we part ways, is there a Pokemon, from any gen, you particularly like or enjoy getting?

Luchik
I'd like to get Unown L at least once in my life jajaja

Tarrembeau
hahahah that's a based answer. Last but not least: do you have any advice for players starting Random Battles, or hoping to improve there?

Luchik
Read and learn about set and teams generation, the tools may be nice for starters but really thinkin through the games and learning how the formats works was my personal way to improve

Tarrembeau
Straight to the point. Alright, thank you very much for giving us a bit of your time and for your wonderful answers!

Luchik
Thanks!

Thanks to Luchik for the great interview! Feel free to ask them any further questions in this thread and keep an eye out for future interviews!

Ash: River
Red: Boca
Gary: Quilmes
Brock: Independiente
Misty: Boca
Iris: Ferro
James: Racing
Jessie: River
Delia: Aaaj
Paul: CASLA
Oak: Velez
May: River
Meowth: Casla
Tobías: Estudiantes
Pikachu: Huracán

No hay mucha representación de afuera de bs as en la serie tristement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)