SV OU Rain/Sun hybrid team

The idea for this team came when I noticed that the new paradox pokemon Walking Wake worked well in both rain and sun. Normally running two weathers on one team is a little counter intuitive however both weathers have their own strengths and weaknesses, so running both allows incredible versatility. This is my first draft of this team, and I would love to other thoughts and feedback as for how to improve this setup. Lets take a look at the team members.

Walking Wake @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Steam
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
As mentioned, Walking Wake, while generally better in the sun than in the rain, works well in both weathers, and is the hallmark of this team. Its signature move hydro steam gets stronger in both weathers, and on top of strong STAB draco meteor for a strong nuke, it has either flamethrower and hurricane, which is powerful coverage in either sun or rain respectively. I chose to run a choice scarf since with protosynthesis, it gets a special attack boost anyways, and choice scarf lets it outspeed other dragons like roaring moon and dragapult, but choice specs is another decent option since it gives it absolutely insane power.

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Clear Smog
Obviously the sun-setter, torkoal also serves as hazard support with stealth rocks and rapid spin. Lava plume is a great way to threaten burns, and while solar beam is a decent offensive option, clear smog helps to prevent setup sweepers like volcarona from getting out of hand. Held item could be either hd-boots for stealth rocks, leftovers for longevity, or heat rock for longer sun duration.

Pelipper @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Roost
One of the main issues with weather teams is once the dedicated weather setter goes down, the team tends to struggle. this can be mitigated by running multiple weather setters, however on top of using a team slot, you'd often be forced to run multiple pokemon of the same type, which can exasperate weaknesses. Since there is two weathers, and thus two pokemon of two different types, this is no longer an issue. Pelliper provides incredible utility, so instead of this being a basic sun team, there is now another weather the opposing team has to contend with. This provides some interesting scenarios. Great Tusks may lead the battle expecting torkoal to lead, thus giving it a free turn. However, if you lead with pelipper, tusks is forced to switch out or risk fainting, allowing a free pivot with u-turn to another threat. Hurricane and hydro pump are there for strong STAB (since scald is out), u-turn is essential, but you could either run roost for longevity or knock off for utility. Similarly to torkoal, hd-boots or wet stone are both decent held items.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
Charizard seems like a weird choice, as it's a fire type with solar power, so it should only be under sun right? However, Charizard also has access to a STAB Hurricane, so it can also be a decent threat under rain in certain circumstances, especially with a choice specs attached. For this reason, it finds itself on the team with a fairly standard set with the previously mentioned hurricane, STAB flamethrower for reliable stab (which can be swapped for fire blast if you prefer), a nuke option in overheat, and solar beam for coverage (obviously only in sun). It would be great if Charizard still had access to weather ball, but alas, it doesn't.

Brute Bonnet @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Trailblaze
- Crunch
These last two pokemon are here to round out the team with protosynthesis pokemon that work decently well under rain, since the rain helps to mitigate their fire weaknesses. For Brute bonnet, I went with a bulky all out offensive set, since a bulky grass type is a great switch-in to electric types that try to hit pelipper, or against water types trying to hit torkoal. While it can stop rotom, it fears getting burned by will-o-wisp, so lum berry instead of assault vest is a decent option. the moves are trailblaze for STAB and a speed=boosting option to allow for sweeping potential (although stronger grass STAB is available if you prefer to just wall-break), crunch fir dark STAB, close combat for strong coverage, and sucker punch for strong priority. Thanks to this things wide movepool, there is a lot of room for versatility.

Slither Wing @ Protective Pads
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flame Charge
- Leech Life
- Close Combat
Serving as the teams alternative sweeper, slither wing doesn't provide much in terms of defensive backbone, but is still a strong addition nonetheless. With flame charge and bulk up, it can set up and pull off a potential sweep, with leech life providing longevity and close combat hitting really hard. If you want to focus on team support or versatility, you can drop bulk up and run first impression to provide revenge killing potential, and you can run whatever item you think works best.

There are some issues that this team has, such as little way to deal with screen teams with grimmsnarl, and requiring aggressive play to get certain sweepers in safely. Again, this is my first draft of this team, and there are alternative movesets and pokemon that could be run. For example, sandy shocks is a good option as well, since it also has protosythesis, is a ground type so it can switch into volt-switches aimed at pelipper while also using volt-switch, and while rain makes it even weaker to water moves, rain gives it perfectly accurate thunders. I'd love to hear your thoughts and innovations to this team style.

This is an incredibly interesting play style. I would have never thought of it, and with the advent of Walking Wake, the metagame truly has changed in my eyes. One thing I did notice when first looking at walking wake is that it's instantly ohko'd by freeze dry. However, that's only an issue if it gets banned. Overalls I think this team is incredibly unpredictable, and is hard to counter. Also I would say that battling another weather could be a problem. Chilly reception and ttar could potentially ruin your team. Otherwise great job. All of your sets are good, nothing I would change besides maybe going for fire spin on Torkoal. It traps and damages pokemon while giving you a turn to switch or yawn in their face.

I would recommend making Walking Wake Modest, it already out speeds every relevant threat, and with that it will gain special attack in sun. Then again I'm stuck in low 1500s so maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.

I would recommend making Walking Wake Modest, it already out speeds every relevant threat, and with that it will gain special attack in sun. Then again I'm stuck in low 1500s so maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.
Timid 252/252 Walking Wake already gets a SpA boost from Protosynthesis. People are running less SpA EVs to get the Speed boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)