SM OU Rain some Pain

Yo, Tankmonx here with a Rain team for Sun and Moon Pokebank OU. I'm loving all the new Pokemon and new meta. I built a rain team for fun, but after playing it a while it became my favourite team. So now I would like so help to fully perfect my rain team for the current meta.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane
First up we got Pelliper an important member to the team. It's set up the rain with it's new acquired ability Drizzle. Holding the damp rock to help increase rain turns from 5 to 8. Pelliper has a decent defence stat and a good but could be better hp stat, so I decided to go with a physical defence set. For the moves, I have U-turn since it's one of the things that make Pelliper a better Rain setter than Politoad. Since it allows you to come in, set up rain and then U-turn into a rain abuser. Roost being the other move that Pelliper gets that makes it a better rain setter than Politoad since it gives it reliable recovery. Scald since it's such a good stab because of it;s high burn chance. Finally Hurricane a powerful stab, that doesn't miss cause of rain and it allows me to hit grass types.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Next, we got my main rain abuser in choice specs Kingdra. Swift Swim to double our speed in the rain. Choice Specs to hit as hard as we can. The 228 speed to outspeed scarf base 110 users like Latios in the rain. Modest max special attack for maximum power. The rest of the EV's into hp for extra bulk. We got Hydro Pump to completely nuke everything in the rain. Draco Meteor since it's a powerful dragon stab and it hits most everything that resists Hydro Pump for neutral or super effective damage. Scald for a more accurate stab then Hydro Pump and it burns Pokemon. Finally, Ice Beam to hit grass types and not having to worry about a special attack drop from Draco Meteor.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch

I've changed Tornadus-Therian to Banded Hoopa since my team lost to stall. Max speed Jolly nature to be fast as possible and to outspeed Tapu Bulu. Zen Headbutt for a strong stab that hits fighting types. Hyperspace Furry cause this move a powerful stab that breaks through substitute and Protect. Gunk Shot for fairies. Fire Punch for Skarmory and Celesteela.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- U-turn
So we got my favourite Pokemon from this new generation Tapu Koko. A powerful Pokemon with it;s Electric Surge ability that sets up electric terrain boosting up Tapu Koko's electric attacks. With a Life Orb and Electric Terrain, this Pokemon electric stab is going to cause massive damage to any Pokemon that gets hit it. Max speed plus Timid nature to be as fast as possible. Thunder for a power stab that doesn't miss in the rain and gets boosted by electric terrain. Volt switch to gain moment and to perform a Volt-turn core with Pelliper and Tornadus-T. Dazzling Gleam for a strong secondary stab. U-turn to gain moment, when my opponent has an electric immunity like Alolan Marowak, and bring in a Pokemon to remove the electric Immunity.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
We got good old Tank Chomp to help check Bisharp and other physical attackers. Nice Rough Skin and Rocky helmet to punish any psychical attack than makes contact with Garchomp. 92 speed allows Chomp to outspeed base 70's like Bisharp. 240 HP and 176 Def to optimise Garchomp's bulk and allow him to not be OhKO'ed by Bisharp's +2 Sucker Punch. Stealth rocks to break sashes and punish my opponent for switching their Pokemon. Earthquake for a powerful stab that OHKO Bisharp. Dragon Tail to phase my opponents Pokemon and cause them to take damage from rocks. Toxic to put bulky Pokemon like Mantine and Gastrodon on a timer.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
The final member of the team Mega Scizor, one of my Favourite Pokemon of all time. I was happy then it was able to get a powerful Mega form. Max Hp, max Special defence, careful nature to take Special attacks better and the rest of the EV's dumped into defence. Roost for reliable recovery, Defog to get rid of hazards, Bullet punch for priority and U-turn to add to the Voltturn core mentioned above.

Threats
Defensive:

These Specially defensive walls are annoying and sometimes impossible to break through. Especially Mantine and Gastrodon cause of their abilities and I don't have room on any of my mons to put an attack for these 2.
Offensive:

One speed boost and I get swept by this thing. Have to predict what move it's going to use and switch to proper resistance.

Replays with the team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-489526099
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-492062376
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-492118594

Pastebin of the team: http://pastebin.com/jHHF2nAm

Last edited:
Bump this up cause made some changes. Added Banded Hoopa as a wall breaker and Got rid of Landourus I has a threat since it's been banned.

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey tankmonx,

I like your team, trying to combine ORAS OU rain offense with Pellipper. Your build is fairly standard but I have a couple of changes which would (in my opinion) make it a little better.
>

Mixed Outrage Kyurem Black > Band Hoopa-U

Firstly, I would suggest running Life Orb Kyurem Black over Banded Hoopa U. This allows you to take on fat grasses like AV Tangrowth, helps the matchup with Volt Turn, and allows you to lure in threats like Gastrodon and Chansey for the rest of your team.

>

Stealth Rocks Ferrothorn > TankChomp

Secondly, Electrics are a huge pain to the team. I would suggest running a Ferrothorn over Tank Chomp, to help the matchup with electrics and Tapu Lele. Bisharp is fairly rare, and cannot really set up on anything bar a -2 Kingdra, so you can pressure it, and use Magearna if necessary.

>

Specs Magearna > Defog Scizor Mega

I would also suggest running a Specs Magearna over your Scizor Mega. This adds another way to beat stall and fat builds, since Kyurem can be trapped by Dugtrio, but running 2 breakers helps you pressure stall better, and it benefits from Chansey being baited in. It still checks Latios, Tapu Lele, as well as checking Tapu Bulu and soft checking Adamant Bisharp due to its Timid Nature and the ground weakness is remedied by the addition of Ferrothorn and Kyurem Black. Although this team does not have hazard removal, it pressures many hazard setters , and you can set up your hazards to pressure him

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

Hope I helped! Feel free to PM any questions.

Hey tankmonx,

I like your team, trying to combine ORAS OU rain offense with Pellipper. Your build is fairly standard but I have a couple of changes which would (in my opinion) make it a little better.
>

Mixed Outrage Kyurem Black > Band Hoopa-U

Firstly, I would suggest running Life Orb Kyurem Black over Banded Hoopa U. This allows you to take on fat grasses like AV Tangrowth, helps the matchup with Volt Turn, and allows you to lure in threats like Gastrodon and Chansey for the rest of your team.

>

Stealth Rocks Ferrothorn > TankChomp

Secondly, Electrics are a huge pain to the team. I would suggest running a Ferrothorn over Tank Chomp, to help the matchup with electrics and Tapu Lele. Bisharp is fairly rare, and cannot really set up on anything bar a -2 Kingdra, so you can pressure it, and use Magearna if necessary.

>

Specs Magearna > Defog Scizor Mega

I would also suggest running a Specs Magearna over your Scizor Mega. This adds another way to beat stall and fat builds, since Kyurem can be trapped by Dugtrio, but running 2 breakers helps you pressure stall better, and it benefits from Chansey being baited in. It still checks Latios, Tapu Lele, as well as checking Tapu Bulu and soft checking Adamant Bisharp due to its Timid Nature and the ground weakness is remedied by the addition of Ferrothorn and Kyurem Black. Although this team does not have hazard removal, it pressures many hazard setters , and you can set up your hazards to pressure him

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

Hope I helped! Feel free to PM any questions.
I love the changes ya made, 2 things that I still feel I strugle with even after your changes are Pheremosa and Shedninja. Shedninja worrying me the most since I running into the Wonderwall Rmt stall team on the ladder. Would changing Earth Power or roost on kyurem, or aurasphere on magearnia to Hp fire help the team or ruin it?

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I love the changes ya made, 2 things that I still feel I strugle with even after your changes are Pheremosa and Shedninja. Shedninja worrying me the most since I running into the Wonderwall Rmt stall team on the ladder. Would changing Earth Power or roost on kyurem, or aurasphere on magearnia to Hp fire help the team or ruin it?
You wouldn't need HP Fire on Kyube, because of Teravolt being able to break Wonder Guard. Pheramosa is still a threat, but Pelliper is one of its better answers, even though it can lose to Pheramosa's sheer power and U-turn, but nothing much you can do aside from slapping Buzzwole on every team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)