Tournament PUWC IV - Semifinals

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hosted by Vertigo and i, art by AmirAlexander

Admin thread | Replays

>>Spreadsheet<<
Courtesy of the amazing Ticken

Welcome to the second playoffs round of PUWC, and congratulations to the 4 teams left!

Rules
  • Follow all rules listed here.
  • Schedule via Smogon VMs. It's easier for us to make decisions for activity calls when we can actually see what went down with scheduling.
  • If you are unable to schedule with your opponent, please let your captains know ASAP so they can communicate that to the hosts or the other team's captains for a potential substitute.
  • Substitutions may be made after a week has started. When making a substitution, please tag the hosts, the captains of the opposing team, and all of the players affected by the substitute to ensure that everyone is made aware. Players who have already played in the week or were subbed out in the same week cannot be subbed back in.
  • If a match remains incomplete by the time of the deadline, it will be subject to an activity call.
  • Post replays. Not only are they useful for confirming wins, they contribute to usage stats and allow the people who couldn't watch the games live to watch them later. Your win won't be counted without a replay
  • Managers: Please send me your lineups in the same format that I used to post pairings. It makes it much easier to post future rounds more quickly.

:swanna: Rest of the World (4) vs. (4) India :medicham:
SV1: soulgazer vs. RaJ.Shoot
SV2: watashi vs. Dj Breloominati♬
SV3: Baloor vs. skimmythegod
SV4: zS vs. myjava
SV5: 3d vs. Piyush25
SV6: spellcaster vs. TGA
SV7: damien the genius vs. Tanish
SV8: DugZa vs. Faaagamer

:luxray: Europe (6) vs. (0) Benelux :pyroar:
SV1: eifo vs. Blue YM
SV2: Lily vs. OranBerryBlissey10
SV3: Drud vs. Wanony
SV4: Ina fable vs. ojr
SV5: TheFranklin vs. Kipkluif
SV6: Fogbound Lake vs. Michielleus
SV7: Sylveon used calm mind vs. Fant'sy Beast
SV8: Leni vs. Quinn

Rest of the World (0) vs. (0) India
SV1: soulgazer vs. RaJ.Shoot
SV2: watashi vs. Dj Breloominati♬
SV3: Baloor vs. skimmythegod
SV4: zS vs. myjava
SV5: 3d vs. Piyush25
SV6: spellcaster vs. TGA
SV7: ninjadog vs. Tanish
SV8: DugZa vs. Faaagamer

Europe (0) vs. (0) Benelux
SV1: eifo vs. Blue YM
SV2: Lily vs. OranBerryBlissey10
SV3: Drud vs. Wanony
SV4: fish anemometer vs. ojr
SV5: TheFranklin vs. Kipkluif
SV6: Fogbound Lake vs. Michielleus
SV7: Sylveon used calm mind vs. Fant'sy Beast
SV8: Leni vs. Quinn

good luck and have fun to all!!

Coming off a contender for the worst prediction week of all time (7/16 btw) I'm here to redeem myself and carry the predictions thread once again.

Rest of the World (3) vs. (5) India

I am a newly converted Team India believer. Luckily for ROW me predicting in India's favor may be a curse for them. ROW put up some good showings in R1 but they've had a week of doing nothing and their performance here is going to hinge on whether or not they've kept up with the meta since then. This also gives them more information on Team India and what they might bring so that's an advantage I suppose. Either way India defied my expectations in quarters and I'm looking to see them do it again.

SV1: soulgazer(45) vs. RaJ.Shoot(55)
Honestly it was my bad bolding against Raj.Shoot in Quarters, I feel like if I just believed maybe they would have beat The Strap. So I'm here to rectify that. soulgazer has no chance of defeating the titan Raj.Shoot, it's like sending S1 Armin after the Colossal Titan alone and expecting him to kill it.

SV2: watashi(45) vs. Dj Breloominati♬(55)
Dj spin that track, Watashi wa dansu ga daisuki desu. Both of the players are historically very good, I expect this to be a close game. Hopefully they both bring competent teams so we get a slugfest.

SV3: Baloor(1) vs. skimmythegod(99)
skimmy the GOD v. baLoor, the only reason I gave baLoor 1% chance is because The Raging LOORs are kinda good

SV4: zS(60) vs. myjava(40)
Does anyone know how I'm supposed to pronounce zS's name? I always just say the letters, but it could also be zeus now that I think about it. Let me know. Anyway zS good, but myjava has been one of the most clutch players on Team India getting them the last win they needed to get to playoffs as well as their first win in Quarters. Hopefully this is a competitive game.

SV5: 3d(51) vs. Piyush25(49)
Ngl I wasn't sure which way to go here. 3d had a good R1, but Piyush is also a good player. I'd say this is a pretty even matchup, but based on current tournament performance i'd give the edge to 3d.

SV6: spellcaster(45) vs. TGA(55)
I'm tired of being a TGA nonbeliever, spellcaster is somebody I don't know much about, so if spellcaster is the goat of PU and I didn't realize it then that's my bad. Anyway TGA is also 4-0 so far and seems to be borrowing power from a higher being to win this tourney, so i've gotta go with Tired Grumpy Aardvark on this one.

SV7: ninjadog(40) vs. Tanish(60)
I will remain a Tanish fanboy until the day I pay off the ransom and he releases my family. ninjadog had a big win last week so maybe they'll ride that high and grab a sneaky w here. I expect Tanish to take the w here.

SV8: DugZa(70) vs. Faaagamer(30)
Faaagamer is a little bit better than Miiigamer and a little bit worse than Sooogamer. I'd say DugZa is more on Tiiigamers level so I think this will go his re. Maybe Faaagamer will surprise us do. I think DugZa will secure the W, but this won't be the LAst we see of Faaagamer.

Europe (5) vs. (3) Benelux

After R1 Europe look like the favorites to win in my eyes. We'll see how the adjust to the new meta, but my expectation is that fish anemometer and co will bring some solid teams. On the other side we have Benelux who eliminated Midwest last round before they were able to pick up a single win. This Benelux team seems like it's very momentum driven because in R1 it was a similar story where they started off super hot and cooled off by the end. If Europe can pick up an early win and deny Benelux the momentum they like to feed on then I expect Europe will punch their own ticket to the finals.

SV1: eifo(60) vs. Blue YM(40)
eifo has been on a tear lately in tournament play and seems to have gotten back the drive they were lacking in early SV. Blue YM is a strong player but didn't get the chance to stretch their legs in Quarters, so we'll see how this balances out. In the end, luck seems to be on eifo's side right now so I expect that they'll take the win here.

SV2: Lily(55) vs. OranBerryBlissey10(45)
Lily is well known in the community, and while I'm not familiar with their tournament history I have seen some strong single game performances from them and it seems like they are no stranger to competing at the highest level. On the other side we have a PU vet in OBB who has had a very weak tournament thus far. OBB did pick up a win in quarters and playoff results are their own thing, so we'll see how this one turns out.

SV3: Drud(65) vs. Wanony(35)
This matchup seems favored for Drud looking at every metric available, but Wanony managed to surprise me last round so maybe it'll happen again. I will say I think Drud is a stronger player than sasha (I haven't seen much of sasha though so don't take my word for it) and I expect this time Wanony will take the L.

SV4: fish anemometer(75) vs. ojr(25)
ojr is good, but fish is just on another level right now. How fish got passed up in SCL draft is beyond me, to my understanding he's been responsible for a good portion of the winning teams for the duration of PUWC as well as contributing to a handful of SCL wins. On top of that fish is playing in the finals of ssnl as well. I am a fish anemometer fan.

SV5: TheFranklin(45) vs. Kipkluif(55)
Nothing much to say here, TheFranklin and Kip are both playing outside of their main tiers, but Kip has found solid success in this event so far. I think this will depend a lot on what kind of teams get brought and how well TheFranklin plays that day. I slightly favor Kip here

SV6: Fogbound Lake(35) vs. Michielleus(65)
Fogbound is one of the best CG OU players, but hasn't looked very locked in this tournament, so we'll see if they turn it around now that we're in p-offs. Michielleus on the other hand is 4-0 against some pretty strong competition. I expect Michi to continue their success here.

SV7: Sylveon used calm mind(60) vs. Fant'sy Beast(40)
Similar situation as Fogbound v Michi, Sylveon is a very strong player but not necessarily in PU. The difference is that Sylveon had a decent R1 and Fant'sy lost in quarters ruining their perfect record. Will Fant'sy Beast bounce back from their quarters loss? Will Sylveon unleash their hidden PU prowess? Find out next time on PU W C.

SV8: Leni(49) vs. Quinn(51)
Anyway, Leni is historically a strong PU player. I have no reason to bold against them here, but for some reason I have a hunch that Quinn will take the w in this one. I think this will be a close game though, so i'm excited to watch it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)