Tournament PUWC III - Commencement Thread

I wasn't going to reply again here for my own sanity but I feel obligated to follow up on my first post:

Why were signups closed early? This seems to be the biggest sticking point, and is a valid complaint, so here we go:
As I explained/you can see in my first post, I was initially hard capped at twelve teams and we had already reached that within 48 hours of signups being posted. This is an absurd amount of signups for a subforum world cup at the end of a generation, but custom avatar goes crazy I guess. When I made the announcement of regions, we were on page 14 of signups which, for those of you keeping track, is around 350 signups in less than four days. I'd already been told that I wouldn't have time for qualifiers, so the options I had were to close signups early and exclude some regions, or close signups a week later and exclude some regions.
To sum it up, I get that you had your motives for taking the decisiones that you took. I get the good intentions and the willlingless to obey what staff pushed too. But that doesn,t change the fact that many people here, including some that are not even in Spain or LA, think those decisions are wrong and unfair. Simple ways of changing the outcome had already been proposed.

I also understand (and don,t support) that some users have been disrespectful or outright dumb (the ones that went ouf of topic on this page specifically) in this thread, but all that doesn,t make our complains less legitimate. There is still time to correct the mistakes made.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
First of all, I wanna ask for a friendly discussion so I'm making the first step and I'm apologizing for what my player One Last Kiss said about Theia of being a bad host which she isn't, she's a really good one and most of us do really appreciate her work, keep it like that.
Also I have seen many people saying that we are pointing Theia as the one who is excluding us, maybe because of the language barrier you are getting us wrong, this decision was not only made by Theia prob she even wasn't involved at all, so our complains are for those who took the decision to let Spain and Latam out of this. I personally went to PU server to give some possible solutions but no one wanted to discuss at all, they were close minded or just being sarcastic.
i explicitly said i was in support of adding the two teams if there was two other teams to add since I was not a fan of the "bye week" idea. you gave another proposal and instead of that bye week you have the two teams that would have the "bye" play each other that week instead and there was a precedent made in that proposal by callous, i responded with what was said in the screenshot. callous typically hosts side tournaments that are not serious at all. this is a subforum world cup tour. the idea i dismissed would not work in this setting as it is unfair in the pooled week format for obvious reasons.

while i understand your frustration of being left out, i do not appreciate you taking logs out of context in an attempt to incriminate me to try and push this "discrimination" narrative. This in no way shape or form is a discrimination problem, your teams simply did not sign up until after the manager pairings were released. While you rightfully can question the choice to close signups early as that would've given more teams a chance to hit the number needed, your teams signed up relatively late when it was decided before signups opened that they wanted 12 teams.

Again, the choice to take a log of mine out of context trying to incriminate me is grasping for straws that do not exist. I by no means represent the PU community as I joined the discord for this tournament. Nor do I have relevant hosting experience. Please ditch this idea that your countries are being discriminated against as it is not productive in the slightest, its underhanded to throw out serious accusations like that when the real reason the exclusion happened is pretty obvious. I still support the inclusion of Spain/Latam if a sensible solution can be reached that does not involve bye weeks or having teams from different pools face each other in the week phase.

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
Honestly i think that baseless accusation of racism is near warning point worthy because its spitting in the face of any victim of actual racism and not being discluded in a fucking pokemon tournament, whether its intended as a joke or not.

Tbh I’m not even gonna say what I think on using "some people don’t feel like having a week off, maybe the morale go down" to justify rejecting 2 teams because I don’t think is necessary.

So I’m just gonna give my opinion as someone who is a outsider of both pu community and the actual environment of smogon tournaments (I think my last one was one of the covid19 lockdowns tournaments) even if I’m probably wrong.

What i see from that outsider perspective is that this a tournament that whoever group of people takes the decisions, as a group, don’t even want to host it and just feel obligated to it (probably because the new gen is around) and that is the is why the sign ups where shorted one week + you don’t want to accept 7 teams per group (a total of 2 extra weeks). Also having to chase someone to get some info (deadlines, dqs etc) is easier when most of the teams are formed by people you already know.

Like I said, I’m probably wrong but that’s the impression that is given to someone that doesn’t know you guys.

That said, have fun with the tournament and good luck.

Pd: No one is really saying that the host is racist or the tier leader, is just a bad joke, which happens to be so less “untasteful” and bad in a Spanish speakers community because racism is less of a problem in our countries, plus is a joke constantly said between ourselves (Spanish stole the gold, Latin’s bands …) so even if it is untasteful it wasn’t in a ill way.

Bye and lest hope that the next time a friend revives me to play a team tour, our team is not randomly rejected.

SpectralThief

Banned deucer.
To define a set of complaints as a shitshow just because 1 person implied that you "weren't capable of something" is, at the very least, disrespectful to the rest of the people who were friendly and polite. I truly tried everything I could to be heard and have my opinion taken into account but I only get a reply that it's too late and that would mean re-doing the tournament. Sadly, that gives me to understand that they didn't even read our past messages because both, Eeveeto and I, gave solutions without affecting the current week neither substantially affecting the rest of the tournament, beyond adding 1 week. And too late... as if this wasn't rushed. Whatever, it has become clear to me that we will not be taken into account, so I have to step aside and accept this WCup without Spanish speakers at all.
Good luck to everyone who is participating :sphearical:
Rooting for Europe, especially Garay Oak.

To define a set of complaints as a shitshow just because 1 person implied that you "weren't capable of something" is, at the very least, disrespectful to the rest of the people who were friendly and polite. I truly tried everything I could to be heard and have my opinion taken into account but I only get a reply that it's too late and that would mean re-doing the tournament. Sadly, that gives me to understand that they didn't even read our past messages because both, Eeveeto and I, gave solutions without affecting the current week neither substantially affecting the rest of the tournament, beyond adding 1 week. And too late... as if this wasn't rushed. Whatever, it has become clear to me that we will not be taken into account, so I have to step aside and accept this WCup without Spanish speakers at all.
Good luck to everyone who is participating :sphearical:
Rooting for Europe, especially Garay Oak.
This is absolutely ridiculous lmao. They read and responded and gave you legit reasons for their actions that followed wc procedures. Stop attacking theia because your unreasonable demands weren't met.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
As someone who hosted a tournament that changed rules basically twice a day before it started I can guarantee you that hosts play their hand with the cards they're dealt with, and that will always generate some controversy no matter the decision you pick, when you pick it and why you pick it. Hosting tournaments is a thankless job and a straight nightmare sometimes, but we do it because we want to, no matter the hiccups that may present; still, when they DO present, don't think its automatically our fault or that we willed that into existence; Theia is a genuine hardworker that has a shitload of tournaments under her belt and you're lucky in having her for hosting a World Cup that automatically became a problem as soon as the numbers skyrocketed out of "expectance", and much less you should blame her for this. Especially when two guys became captains of a team that wasn't present to begin with and did their work on their own then pretend to be jammed into the tournament; I understand that you did it out of genuine passion, and your work is also something to consider, but you can't just waltz in, create another problem, then blame Theia for what *you* chose to do. That is a form of disrespect and hypocrisy that it shouldn't be tolerated, and idk how you even went to throw the whole racism argument into it since it was a problem of time and decisions made before starting the tournament (again, nobody expected a World Cup of a lower tier to reach this far when Generation 9 is around the corner, and several other WC omitted a looooot of countries that in the regular World Cup there are present; not to mention how the regular World Cup is like a scope beyond this one) and quite honestly it's just making whoever said it as a fool.

That being said, I'm obviously sorry for Team Spain and LatAm for not making it, as I'm sure there was the effort put by you to be represented in the tournament, but like... you had more than three days to put out a team, I really don't know how you popped into existence in three days but unfortunately you can't just shake things like that out of nowhere and force the host to change format just because you want to be included at will; if anything, talk with the Tier Leader when the list of countries eligible for WC were there and work it from there, there's nothing that communication at the right time or place can't solve. And this will be taken into account for the next year, but stop blaming the hosts as soon as there's a slight in the <insert tournament of your choice> and then making a fuss about it like you didn't had any choice in the matter, jesus christ

As someone who hosted a tournament that changed rules basically twice a day before it started I can guarantee you that hosts play their hand with the cards they're dealt with, and that will always generate some controversy no matter the decision you pick, when you pick it and why you pick it. Hosting tournaments is a thankless job and a straight nightmare sometimes, but we do it because we want to, no matter the hiccups that may present; still, when they DO present, don't think its automatically our fault or that we willed that into existence; Theia is a genuine hardworker that has a shitload of tournaments under her belt and you're lucky in having her for hosting a World Cup that automatically became a problem as soon as the numbers skyrocketed out of "expectance", and much less you should blame her for this. Especially when two guys became captains of a team that wasn't present to begin with and did their work on their own then pretend to be jammed into the tournament; I understand that you did it out of genuine passion, and your work is also something to consider, but you can't just waltz in, create another problem, then blame Theia for what *you* chose to do. That is a form of disrespect and hypocrisy that it shouldn't be tolerated, and idk how you even went to throw the whole racism argument into it since it was a problem of time and decisions made before starting the tournament (again, nobody expected a World Cup of a lower tier to reach this far when Generation 9 is around the corner, and several other WC omitted a looooot of countries that in the regular World Cup there are present; not to mention how the regular World Cup is like a scope beyond this one) and quite honestly it's just making whoever said it as a fool.

That being said, I'm obviously sorry for Team Spain and LatAm for not making it, as I'm sure there was the effort put by you to be represented in the tournament, but like... you had more than three days to put out a team, I really don't know how you popped into existence in three days but unfortunately you can't just shake things like that out of nowhere and force the host to change format just because you want to be included at will; if anything, talk with the Tier Leader when the list of countries eligible for WC were there and work it from there, there's nothing that communication at the right time or place can't solve. And this will be taken into account for the next year, but stop blaming the hosts as soon as there's a slight in the <insert tournament of your choice> and then making a fuss about it like you didn't had any choice in the matter, jesus christ
On point across the board. You put it into words way better than I did.

I’m writing this as a casual player based in the US, and I really feel bad for Team LA/Spain. Yes, 12 teams were determined before the November 6 deadline. However, teams LA/Spain are being left out even though they followed the rules given to them, so it’s understandable why those players would be upset. Again, these are prepared teams made before the November 6 deadline. And when a country and an entire region are left out of the world cup, it’s not a good look.

Players from Team LA/Spain offered legitimate solutions both on this forum and later Discord, and even offered to help the hosts if needed. But they were often met with jokes, sarcasm, and deflecting. It’s not discrimination, but it came across as disrespectful. When people started listing off different words they knew in Spanish instead of responding to solutions, it looked like they weren’t open to having a constructive conversation anymore. It was pretty dismissive.

I personally thought the “bye week” solution offered by Eeveeto was a legitimate solution to include two teams who are passionate about the game and hope for representation. Not sure if it’s too late to implement, but maybe it can be used next time.

Javi

Que no respiren, que no respiren!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Ok so I want to do my final post on this topic, because it seems that all complaints will drive to nowhere and this issue will be ignored and thus forgotten. First I would like to state that I don't think that the host (Theia) is to blame in this situation and that there are greater issues going on here. I feel that there is a clear lack-of-will from the PU Leader to create this tour, due to the speed at which everything was done and the constant negative to consider a change of formats that included the two or three regions that had built a team within the given time for the sign ups. This lack-of-will is not something we are "inventing" and can be clearly seen in the amount of empty excuses used so as to avoid the extra-work of adding these two or three teams, and I will list them so that you can all see that it is a reality.

1- " PUWC has never had a qualification round, we wanted to get this tournament started early in order for it not to extend too far into Generation 9. ". This tour will already get in 6 or 7 weeks of Gen 9 and end up around Christmas time. Adding two teams would increase the number of weeks to 8 or 9 which is "too far" compared to the current situation. Also, if we base on Gen 8 development, PU tier will not be defined until March 2023, which again reinforces my point.

2- " Morale is at a low at the end of a generation as usual, and this tournament is already going to last a couple months into the next generation in its current state." . Although it's true that we are at the end of the generation, one cannot say that morale is low in a tour with 475 ins has low motivation. Moreover, it is well known that World Cups always attract a large playerbase and even more if a custom avatar is given as a prize.

3- " I really dislike how you phrase this entire post. You have a list of demands? Whether or not rosters were posted after yours is irrelevant because we AGREED on the twelve teams and sets of managers several days prior to your roster even being posted. " . While it's true that teams are always decided before-hand in worldcups, it's also true that these kind of tournaments always have longer sign up periods. Me myself I have hosted several Random Battle Tournaments and if I have learnt something from that is that WEEKENDS is the most critical periods for sign ups because usually people have a life and don't have time during the week. Therefore ignoring two relevant days of sign ups seems a clear sign of the lack-of-will I mentioned above.

This reality gets enhanced when both teams have suggested possible solutions that have been automatically dismissed due to the extra work it would require. It is 100% understandable that more amount of work seems more loading to a person that is already hosting several tournaments. However, this only highlights more the point that I am trying to make, as a more free host or a co-host could have taken the tournament/helped with it.

Furthermore, we both teams that are trying to play this tournament have been told that this cannot set a "precedent" of a team forcing it's way in a tournament. Well, this tournament however is setting an even worse precedent to my point of view. This precedent is that you can organize a tournament without the will to do it in a propper manner and get away with it with mere excuses. This precedent is really worrying on my opinion and could create more serious problems with future tournaments. Therefore, I would like to see the teams affected by this cumulus of unfortunate decisions and some Smogon Leaders revising the situation and what could be done to discourage this kind of plannifications.

Finally I would like to talk about the communication issues that there has been. While hispanic people have used the word "discrimation", the idiosyncrasy of the speakers should always be taken into account, as this has been used to diminish the arguments. Quoting my teammate Lhions "
Pd: No one is really saying that the host is racist or the tier leader, is just a bad joke, which happens to be so less “untasteful” and bad in a Spanish speakers community because racism is less of a problem in our countries, plus is a joke constantly said between ourselves (Spanish stole the gold, Latin’s bands …) so even if it is untasteful it wasn’t in a ill way.". However, it is true that there is a feeling of being ignored or left apart by the hispanic community which gets reinforced by the fact that 1/3 of the teams in this World Cup are USA teams (only one country). As it can be seen in this link, other World Cup tournaments have opted for reducing to three the number of USA Teams, which seems adequate consedering the total number of teams. While I understand that US has a big playerbase and really different culture depending on the regions, a single country getting 4 teams in a 12 team tournament, and thus leaving some regions outside of it gives a feeling of disrespect and ignorance.

Once again I would say that I have nothing against the host, keep hosting tournaments as well as you normally do and thank you for your work. Thank you for your time and hope we can find a solution to avoid future tournaments being conceived in this way.

Pd: Please pin this thread. It's only usual that commencement threads are pinned for this kind of tours. Doing so in a thread in which there is a serious discussion going on could hide it from interested users and no one wants this.

Suzuya

Undertaker
is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
some people tried to nerf my friend One Last Kiss , know that you remain the goat and that you are right to complain for what is rightfully yours (knowing that a week of sign up was removed by the magic of God)
I don't blame the hosts because I understand that there can be this kind of decision in a hurry but don't blame the people who demand that a national team from their country be represented
peace

Railgun

formerly luisin
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
And just to clarify that Germany (no hate, I love my friends from Germany) had the same ins as Spain, yes, Germany got the ins before but Spain reached the ins too BEFORE THE DEADLINE and the host announced the teams before that deadline, maybe this drama would have been avoided if the host had created 2 deadlines (one for ins deadline and teams revealed and another for those people who sign up at the last minute).

Last edited:
I would like to add that if there were problems with the time, you could speed things up by making 2 threads:

1. The typical of the ins of players with their respective deadline.

2. The rosters thread, giving a second deadline so that all teams are aware of until when they have to register their teams.

Although anyway, as I and my Hispanic colleagues said in our previous posts, this could have been easily resolved if they had given a specific deadline on the election of captains and teams that will play the tournament.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hopefully just going to put an end to this now. Sorry for the delay on this, as I have been extremely busy with work.

If signup numbers are similar next year, I will of course be pushing for an expansion of the tournament from 12 to 16 teams. I've explained our reasoning why this wasn't possible this year, ad nauseum, as I am not clairvoyant, but next year I'll personally ensure that we make it happen. I would always love for our tournaments to be bigger and better, and I'm sure the vast majority of the playerbase (myself included), would have been interested to see what kind of teams Spain, Latin America and China could have built, and seeing how far they could progress into the tournament.

This tournament obviously won't be changing this year though as we're mid way through week one, as I'm sure the vast majority of you can understand. However, all the responsibility falls on me for the tournament not including Spain and Latin America from the get go. I sincerely apologise, and I'm grateful that you are all interested in participating in our forum tournaments. I'm sorry for disappointing you by not including your teams. I get how frustrating it can be, especially when you feel like no one's listening to your concerns, but this is what has been done now, and it is too late to change it now.

Any rudeness directed at Theia, our host is incredibly uncalled for however. She is not the one who made this decision. I am incredibly grateful that she was willing to host our world cup, as she is doing an outstanding job, especially considering some of the verbal abuse hurled towards her. When it came to what teams were included, that decision came down to me, as I've said. If you have genuine concerns with how I've handled this, then that is absolutely fine, but I cannot fault Theia here and I don't think any of you should either.

This is how the tournament is this year. Next year, I will make sure to communicate with this year's left out communities to ensure they are ready prior to the deadline. If you'd like to discuss any of this further, or vent your concerns, then my Discord DMs are always open: Chloe#0001; but please let's not clutter up the thread with more of the same points. Thank you for your understanding.

DuGuo

Just say love me.
is a Tiering Contributor
As the captain of the Chinese team this year, I saw this post a month later for some reasons. We planned to participate in PUWC this year, but unfortunately we were not included in the list. But in fact, we have no complaints.
Theia is a really good host who helped us when I try to lead my team to sign up. I really appreciate what she has done for us, for this competition and for this community. It's sad to see some of the criticisms she has received here.
I support the decision to add more teams. As a member of the Chinese team, I also understand the feeling that I cannot represent my country in the competition. Hope to see us and more teams on PUWC next year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)