LC Pumpkaboo-Super

Conni

katharsis

QC by: Nineage / Fiend / OP
GP by: Kris / CyroGyro​
[OVERVIEW]

Pumpkaboo-XL is the slowest Pumpkaboo forme; however, it is also the bulkiest with high defensive stats, making it one of the bulkiest and best spinblockers in the LC metagame. Pumpkaboo-XL has a movepool suitable to its role as a spinblocker in conjunction with stats that make it very bulky and a decent attacker, thus making it effective at what it does. However, Pumpkaboo-XL's typing makes it vulnerable to many common types in the metagame as well as the common Knock Off, which is used by most Pokemon in the metagame.

[SET]
name: Special Spinblocker
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Fire Blast / Shadow Ball
item: Eviolite
ability: Frisk
nature: Calm
evs: 204 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Pumpkaboo-XL's main STAB move, which lets it hit Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types such as Chinchou, Slowpoke, Tirtouga, and Mudbray super effectively, and is a semi-reliable recovery option. Pumpkaboo-XL's most reliable form of recovery is Synthesis, allowing it to maintain its longevity in battle to spinblock as long as possible. Will-O-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo-XL to spread status and cripple physical attackers, which switch into this set. Fire Blast is Pumpkaboo-XL's most powerful coverage move, hitting Steel-, Grass-, Bug-, and Ice-types such as Ferroseed, Foongus, Spinarak, and Alolan Sandshrew. Instead of Fire Blast, Shadow Ball can be run as Pumpkaboo-XL's secondary STAB move, hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Abra and Gastly.

Set Details
========

Pumpkaboo-XL's current EV spread maximizes its special bulk, since its Special Defense is lower than its physical Defense. The special bulk also allows it to deal with Staryu, a common spinner. Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize a physically defensive EV spread of 204 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe to increase its already high Defense; this allows Pumpkaboo-XL to efficiently check Mudbray, as it is now more resistant to its physical attacks; however, the spread's lower Special Defense makes Pumpkaboo-XL somewhat vulnerable to special attacks. 28 Speed EVs allow Pumpkaboo-XL to outspeed base 10 Speed Pokemon such as Ferroseed. They also allow it to Speed tie with Pokemon that reach 11 Speed, such as Mudbray. Eviolite is very important for Pumpkaboo-XL, as it maximizes its defenses, which helps it maintain its longevity in battle. Frisk is the ability of choice because it can help determine the foe's set, which provides good foresight. A Calm nature is preferred for Pumpkaboo-XL, as it further increases Pumpkaboo-XL's Special Defense, making it more specially bulky.

Usage Tips
========

Pumpkaboo-XL should be switched into a spinner to attempt to spinblock, allowing entry hazards to stay on the opposing side of the field. Pumpkaboo-XL can also be sent out early-game and spam Will-O-Wisp to spread burns and cripple early-game physical attackers. Pumpkaboo-XL can also switch into Pokemon that it can check, such as Mudbray and some Pokemon that have low Special Defense. It is best to keep Pumpkaboo-XL in the game until all of the opponent's spinners are defeated to ensure that the opposing side's entry hazards don't get removed. Pumpkaboo-XL should also be cautious of Life Orb Ice Beam Staryu, especially if it runs its physically defensive EV spread. Pumpkaboo-XL should generally avoid Knock Off, as it hits Pumpkaboo-XL super effectively and takes away its Eviolite, which is very important in maintaining its precious bulk.

Team Options
========

Since Pumpkaboo-XL is a spinblocker, it would be sensible to have entry hazard setters such as Drilbur, Ferroseed, Mareanie, and Surskit as teammates. The aforementioned entry hazard setters also appreciate Pumpkaboo-XL's utility; however, Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used on teams that don't rely on stacking hazards, as it can still check some Pokemon such as Mudbray. Pumpkaboo-XL's main checks are Dark-, Fire-, and Flying-type Pokemon such as Pawniard, Ponyta, and Vullaby, which can mostly wall all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and defeat it easily. Great partners to check the aforementioned Pokemon are Timburr, Mienfoo, and Chinchou, as Timburr can be good on entry hazard-stacking teams and can handle Houndour and Ponyta, as it doesn't mind getting burned and can KO them; Mienfoo can handle Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard, but it does mind getting burned; and Chinchou can take care of Vullaby and Ponyta with its Water- and Electric-type moves as well as provide a slow Volt Switch to get Pumpkaboo-XL safely into battle if necessary. Knock Off users and Pursuit trappers can be a pain to Pumpkaboo-XL, so Pokemon such as Trubbish and Diglett can be of use; Trubbish can deal with Knock Off users easily because of its decent physical bulk and ability, Sticky Hold, whereas Diglett can trap Pursuit trappers, and most likely OHKO them, and can also deal with Fire-types and some Steel-types for Pumpkaboo-XL; Pumpkaboo-XL can deal with Water- and Grass-types for it in return. Special walls can take nearly all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and proceed to stall out Pumpkaboo-XL until it gets KOed (although some of them don't appreciate getting burned), so powerful physical attackers can help Pumpkaboo-XL take care of them. Pawniard also makes for a good teammate to Pumpkaboo-XL, which cannot block Defog; Pawniard can switch into an expected Defog and gain a Defiant boost in compensation for the removal of entry hazards.

[SET]
name: Mixed Spinblocker
move 1: Giga Drain / Bullet Seed
move 4: Shadow Sneak / Fire Blast
nature: Sassy / Careful

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Pumpkaboo-XL's primary Grass-type STAB move, hitting Rock-, Water-, and Ground-type Pokemon such as Tirtouga, Chinchou, Slowpoke, and Mudbray. It also acts as a source of recovery. Bullet Seed can be used over Giga Drain because it generally hits harder, is physical instead of special, and can break Sturdy, which can be very effective against Pokemon like Onix and Tirtouga; however, Mudbray gets insane Stamina boosts from Bullet Seed and can wall Pumpkaboo-XL as its Defense rises. Synthesis is Pumpkaboo-XL's main recovery option, allowing it to spinblock consistently for its team. Will-O-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo-XL to spread burns and cripple physical attackers that may switch into it. Shadow Sneak is Pumpkaboo-XL's secondary STAB move and a priority move, which allows it to pick off weakened Pokemon and hit Ghost- and Psychic-types super effectively. Fire Blast can be used instead of Shadow Sneak to hit Steel-, Grass-, Bug-, and Ice-types such as Ferroseed, Foongus, Spinarak, and Alolan Sandshrew super effectively.

Set Details
========

Pumpkaboo-XL's main EV spread allows it to be quite bulky, increasing its Special Defense to nearly be on par with its already high Defense, which helps it against Staryu, one of the most common spinners in the metagame. The EV spread also allows Pumpkaboo-XL to hit decently hard and outspeed base 10 Speed Pokemon and Speed tie with 11 Speed Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Mudbray, respectively; however, a Sassy nature will cut Pumpkaboo-XL's Speed to some degree. Instead of the main EV spread, Pumpkaboo-XL can run a physically defensive EV spread of 204 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe, which allows it to further enhance its monstrous physical Defense to check Mudbray more effectively, but this leaves it vulnerable to powerful special attackers. Eviolite plays a large role in Pumpkaboo-XL's longevity, as it maximizes its already high bulk. Frisk can potentially determine the set of the opposing Pokemon, creating insight for Pumpkaboo-XL's teammates. A Sassy nature can be used to further enhance Pumpkaboo-XL's Special Defense giving it more bulk at the cost of its Speed, which isn't as important as its bulk. Instead of losing its Speed, Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize a Careful nature, which also increases its special bulk but lowers its Special Attack, making moves such as Giga Drain and Fire Blast less effective, so this nature is prefered if Pumpkaboo-XL chooses to use Bullet Seed and Shadow Sneak.

Usage Tips
========

Like the special spinblocker variant, Pumpkaboo-XL's main purpose is to switch into spinners and prevent them from removing the entry hazards on their side of the field, which helps the sweepers on Pumpkaboo-XL's team to sweep efficiently. Pumpkaboo-XL can deal with and force out most spinners, preventing them from removing the entry hazards. Pumpkaboo-XL should be kept alive until all spinners are defeated, as if Pumpkaboo-XL faints before that, the entry hazards could be removed, decreasing Pumpkaboo-XL's team's sweeping capabilities. Pumpkaboo-XL, like the special variant, should be wary of Knock Off, as it takes away an important factor of its bulk, leaving it more vulnerable to attacks. Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used early-game to spread burns and cripple physical attackers, which renders them mostly useless.

Team Options
========

Since this variant of Pumpkaboo-XL is also a spinblocker, Pokemon like Drilbur, Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Surskit appreciate Pumpkaboo-XL's ability to keep their entry hazards on the opposing side; however, Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used without entry hazard setters, as it can still check important Pokemon. Pawniard is a great asset to the team, as Pumpkaboo-XL cannot block Defog, so Pawniard can punish Defog users by gaining a Defiant boost as compensation for the loss of entry hazards. Knock Off users and Pursuit trappers spell trouble for Pumpkaboo-XL, so Pokemon like Trubbish and Diglett are great partners, as Trubbish can easily take a Knock Off due to its good physical bulk and Sticky Hold ability, while Diglett can trap Pursuit trappers and most likely OHKO them and can also deal with Fire-types that might pose a problem to Pumpkaboo-XL. Pokemon such as Mienfoo, Timburr, and Chinchou can deal with opposing Vullaby, Steel-, Dark-, and Fire-types for Pumpkaboo-XL; Chinchou and Pumpkaboo-XL also have good synergy, as both can deal with each others' checks, and Chinchou can provide a useful slow Volt Switch for Pumpkaboo-XL to safely enter battle.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Trick Room set with Trick Room, either Giga Drain or Bullet Seed, Will-O-Wisp, and either Destiny Bond or Explosion with a Quiet or Brave nature and an EV spread of 44 HP / 44 Atk / 196 Def / 156 SpD / 68 SpA can be used for Pumpkaboo-XL and other slow Pokemon to sweep the opposing team, but with the loss of one of the best Trick Room sweepers, Porygon, this set is underwhelming. Rock Slide can be very effective on the aforementioned Trick Room set, as it hits Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon such as Ponyta, Vullaby, and Slush Rush users super effectively while outspeeding them, but Fire Blast hits Ice-types a lot harder than Rock Slide. Another form of recovery that Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize is Leech Seed + Protect, as it can drain the opposing Pokemon's health and use Protect to heal itself up safely; however, this combination is underwhelming, as it takes up significant space in Pumpkaboo-XL's moveset and is too passive in comparison to the more reliable Synthesis. Instead of Will-O-Wisp, Toxic can be used to cripple setup sweepers and can be spread early-game, crippling opposing Pokemon and some of Pumpkaboo-XL's checks. Pumpkaboo-XL can also utilize Ghostium Z + Trick-or-Treat to gain a boost to all of its stats, but Pumpkaboo-XL's bulk is much more important than stat boosts; Z-Trick-or-Treat is much more fitting for Pumpkaboo-S because of its superior offensive capabilities.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types** Fire-types, especially Houndour, which has a super effective typing against Pumpkaboo-XL's, can resist nearly all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and likely OHKO or 2HKO it with super effective special moves without much difficulty; some Fire-types can also gain a Flash Fire boost if they switch into Will-O-Wisp, causing trouble for Pumpkaboo-XL and its teammates.

**Guts Users** Guts users such as Timburr and Taillow can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp because of the negligible damage a burn deals per turn and defeat Pumpkaboo-XL easily with Guts-boosted Knock Off and Brave Bird, respectively.

**Dark- and Flying-types** Dark- and Flying-types, especially special Vullaby, can easily deal with Pumpkaboo-XL with their super effective STAB moves, either OHKOing or 2HKOing it, and can take all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves, although most don't appreciate being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
giga drain should be slashed first.
I use these EVs on my giga drain pump:

EVs: 204 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD
Sassy Nature

mention the evs for a physical pumpkaboo in set details. but pump is one of the best checks to mudbray so giga drain is important i think.
also mention the evs spread if you're using giga+fire blast (so +SpD - Atk), 28Spe.

will do full check later but i think thats important

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I think there should be two spinblocker sets - one for special attacker (first), one for physical/mixed attacker. Trick Room isn't viable at all anymore without Porygon (not that it was great to begin with), I don't think that warrants a set.

Conni

katharsis
I think there should be two spinblocker sets - one for special attacker (first), one for physical/mixed attacker. Trick Room isn't viable at all anymore without Porygon (not that it was great to begin with), I don't think that warrants a set.
giga drain should be slashed first.
I use these EVs on my giga drain pump:

EVs: 204 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD
Sassy Nature

mention the evs for a physical pumpkaboo in set details. but pump is one of the best checks to mudbray so giga drain is important i think.
also mention the evs spread if you're using giga+fire blast (so +SpD - Atk), 28Spe.

will do full check later but i think thats important

Tomorrow is the last day of my first University semester, so I'll get it done by then probably, until then I'm putting this in WIP stage for now.

I'd leave out the choice mentions in OO, as Pump small has better stat distribution for these sets. Pump small doesn't require a boosting nature to hit 14 speed, so it can run Adamant more viably and therefore hit harder than super. Also (more of a GP thing but I'll mention it anyway) you'll eventually need to write out its name as Pumpkaboo-XL throughout the analysis.

I can do a full check once you're ready, looking pretty good so far!

Conni

katharsis
Ok, I implemented a Special Spinblocker set for Pumpkaboo-XL, as Corporal Levi suggested, and implemented the comments you guys have suggested. Also thanks sparktrain for the grammar notice, I've implemented that as well

This is good for QC now.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

I'd specifically mention the prevalence of Knock Off and Pump's weakness to it in this overview, its the major issue for a defensive mon
Also mention that its one of the metagame's best bulky spinblockers

[SET]
smogdex doesn't support slashed EVs, move the second set into set details

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
=====

"Will-O-Wisp is very useful because these physical attackers would be pretty much useless unless they have their status cured or boosted their Attack stat at least 2 stages" - I don't think this is necessary, just say it allows them Pump to spread burns and cripple physical attackers. People know what this means.

Set Details
=======

Move the second spread here, just give the set and explain why it helps

Usage Tips
=======

Mention that you can be surprised by LO Ice Beam Staryu, especially if physdef set
Add that Knock Off should be avoided

Team Options
=========
I'd list a few more entry hazard setters (Mareanie, Omanyte, and Dwebble all come to mind), since Drilbur can only set rocks and thus doesn't appreciate a dedicated spinblocker slot as much

[SET]
same deal with evs

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
====

Mention Bullet Seed breaks Sturdy users (Onix, Tirt) at the expense of checking Mudbray
The Wil-o-Wisp comment is just weird, and makes it sound like not only does it do damage itself but also neuters Special Attackers. I'd change it to something along the lines of "Wil-o-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo to cripple physical attackers, and wear down special attackers for teammates" or something...my writing isn't good but you get the idea
Set Details
=======
Move EV spread here once again
You aren't handling Ferrothorn, you are handling Ferroseed
Usage Tips
=======

"The Sassy nature that was aforementioned above can be used in conjunction with Fire Blast as the Careful nature lowers Fire Blast's power making it isn't as effective" - should be in set details

Team Options
=========

this is ok

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=========

Add Trick Room
"Rock Slide can be used to hit a wider variety of Pokemon such as Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-types which all threaten Pumpkaboo-XL, this is especially fitting on the Trick Room set" - You took out Trick Room. Either remove this or modify it so that its clear that it works in conjunction with Trick Room, not on a given set that isnt there
Explain why Leech Seed is bad (passive)
Checks and Counters
==============
all good

Nice work, 1/3

Last edited:

Conni

katharsis
[OVERVIEW]

I'd specifically mention the prevalence of Knock Off and Pump's weakness to it in this overview, its the major issue for a defensive mon
Also mention that its one of the metagame's best bulky spinblockers

[SET]
smogdex doesn't support slashed EVs, move the second set into set details

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
=====

"Will-O-Wisp is very useful because these physical attackers would be pretty much useless unless they have their status cured or boosted their Attack stat at least 2 stages" - I don't think this is necessary, just say it allows them Pump to spread burns and cripple physical attackers. People know what this means.

Set Details
=======

Move the second spread here, just give the set and explain why it helps

Usage Tips
=======

Mention that you can be surprised by LO Ice Beam Staryu, especially if physdef set
Add that Knock Off should be avoided

Team Options
=========
I'd list a few more entry hazard setters (Mareanie, Omanyte, and Dwebble all come to mind), since Drilbur can only set rocks and thus doesn't appreciate a dedicated spinblocker slot as much

[SET]
same deal with evs

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
====

Mention Bullet Seed breaks Sturdy users (Onix, Tirt) at the expense of checking Mudbray
The Wil-o-Wisp comment is just weird, and makes it sound like not only does it do damage itself but also neuters Special Attackers. I'd change it to something along the lines of "Wil-o-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo to cripple physical attackers, and wear down special attackers for teammates" or something...my writing isn't good but you get the idea
Set Details
=======
Move EV spread here once again
You aren't handling Ferrothorn, you are handling Ferroseed
Usage Tips
=======

"The Sassy nature that was aforementioned above can be used in conjunction with Fire Blast as the Careful nature lowers Fire Blast's power making it isn't as effective" - should be in set details

Team Options
=========

this is ok

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=========

Add Trick Room
"Rock Slide can be used to hit a wider variety of Pokemon such as Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-types which all threaten Pumpkaboo-XL, this is especially fitting on the Trick Room set" - You took out Trick Room. Either remove this or modify it so that its clear that it works in conjunction with Trick Room, not on a given set that isnt there
Explain why Leech Seed is bad (passive)
Checks and Counters
==============
all good

Nice work, 1/3
Thanks for the check! Implemented and ready for the next check.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
you're calling pumpka worse than it is. don't say very common weaknesses, just common. avoid saying its weak to knock off so much too.

[SET]
nature: Careful
[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
=====

giga hits slowpoke already.
Set Details
=======

Careful nature, fix mentions of the nature.

lil wordy overall fyi
Usage Tips
=======
good.

Team Options
=========
toss a timburr mention in there, since its good on hazard stack and doesn't mind pony as much and beats the rest of what you named as well as foo does.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
====
fine

Set Details
=======
good.

Usage Tips
=======
fine

Team Options
=========

fine

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=========

mention z trick or treat & how it is better done by pumpka small

Checks and Counters
==============

fine

QC: 2/3 write up go

Conni

katharsis
Thanks Fiend for your QC check! Implemented Fiend's suggestions and I finished the write-up.
Ready for QC check number 3!

There should be a space after every section title

Special:
Moves:
- This part is unnecessary, "Synthesis also works well in conjunction with Pumpkaboo-XL's bulky stats, allowing it to maintain it's health quite easily as long as its checks don't appear"

Set Details:
- The SpDef is primarily to tank hits from Staryu better so it can more reliably spinblock. Also helps against Abra.

Usage Tips:
- This is just obvious and restating already mentioned points, "Pumpkaboo-XL should be comfortable with staying in and defeat the opposing Rapid Spinner unless it switches out, although the opposing team will probably send out a potential Pumpkaboo-XL check so it would be best to switch out"
- Life Orb Staryu isn't that rare
- Avoiding Knock Off is an ok thing to say, but don't say at all costs. There are many cases where it's correct to tank a Knock Off to burn the attacker.

Team Options:
- Pumpkaboo isn't completely useless on teams without hazards, it still checks many important Pokemon. Rephrase this point.
- Replace one of the examples in the second sentence, they're all Dark-types and it should have more variety. I suggest using Ponyta.

Mixed:
Moves:
Mention Bullet Seed just generally hitting much harder

Set Details:
- Again, the spdef is mostly for Staryu and it's is important to note that

Usage Tips:
- These parts are obvious and apply to every Pokemon, they don't need to be said. "although Pumpkaboo-XL has to be cautious of potential checks that could be switched in" "Pumpkaboo-XL can also be switched into Pokemon that it can handle to potentially force them out or defeat them, but it needs to watch out for potential checks switching in."

Team Options:
- Rephrase the first sentence just like in the other Team Options section
- Change Diglett to Pumpkaboo-XL "Fire-types that might pose a problem to Diglett"

Other Options:
- Rock Slide doesn't hit Alolan Sandshrew, the only relevant Slush Rusher. It's ok to mention Rock Slide hits Ice-types, but it should be mentioned that Fire Blast hits them all harder.
- Remove Pain Split, I don't think it's viable enough even for Other Options

Checks and Counters:
- Mention Ponyta somewhere as its the most common Fire-type. Nothing relevant uses Flash Fire, remove that

A lot of this felt unnecessarily wordy, remember to keep this as concise as possible. I'd like to read this over again after you implement this stuff, so I'm going to hold off on giving you your third QC for now. Pretty good work on this though, n_n

Last edited:
I went through and cleaned up some of the formatting. Make sure you add spaces after each section title and have the correct number of equal signs for each one in the future. Other than that, looks good now. QC 3/3! :toast:

Conni

katharsis
Nice! This is good for GP!

conniedit: Talked to this with awesome user OP, and since I'll be away until the 7th, OP will be implementing the GP checks if he can, thanks a lot!

Last edited:

dhelmise

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
add
remove
(comments)

READ MY COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

As the biggest size out of all the Pumpkaboo sizes, Pumpkaboo-XL is expected to be the slowest out of all the sizes,Pumpkaboo forme; however, it is also the bulkiest with high defense stats, making it one of the bulkiest and best spinblockers in the Little Cup metagame. Pumpkaboo-XL has a very fitting movepool, (AC) which benefits to it's role as a spinblocker, in conjunction with fitting stats that make it very bulky and not that bad of an attacker which makes it effective ina decent attacker, (AC) thus making it effective at what it does. However, (AC) Pumpkaboo-XL's problem is that its typing istyping makes it vulnerable to many common types in the metagame, it is also and prone to the common Knock Off, which is used by most Pokemon in the metagame.
(remove blank line)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Pumpkaboo-XL's Grass-type STAB move, which hits Rock-, Ground-, and Water-type Pokemonmain STAB move, which lets it hit Water-, (AC) Rock-, and Ground-types such as Chinchou, Slowpoke, and especially Mudbray, it also is a somewhat (put Rock-type here), (AC) and Mudbray super (where are the Rock-types?) effectively, and it also is a semi-reliable recovery option. Pumpkaboo-XL's most reliable form of recovery is Synthesis, allowing itself to maintain its longevity in battle to spinblock as long as possible. Will-O-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo-XL to spread status and cripple physical attackers that unfortunately, (AC) which switch into this set. Fire Blast is Pumpkaboo-XL's powerful coverage move, (AC) hitting Steel-, Grass-, Ice-, and BugBug-, (AC) and Ice-types such as Ferroseed, (AC) (Grass-type here), (Bug-type here), (AC) and Alolan Sandshrew. Instead of Fire Blast, Shadow Ball can also be run as Pumpkaboo-XL's secondary STAB move, (AC) hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Gothita and Gastly.

Set Details
========

Pumpkaboo-XL's current EV spread maximizes Pumpkaboo-XL'its special bulk, making it more bulky toable to deal with more special attacks, (AC) since it's Special Defense is lower than its physical Defense, this. (AP) The special bulk also allows it to deal with Staryu, a common Rapid Sspinner. Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize a physically defensive EV spread (of 204 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe) to increase its already high physical Defense; this allows Pumpkaboo-XL to efficiently check Mudbray, (AC) as it is now more resistant to its physical attacks,; (ASC) however, ithe spread leaves its lower Special Defense somewhat vulnerable. Pumpkaboo-XL's 28 Speed EVs allows it Pumpkaboo-XL to outspeed base 10 Speed Pokemon and lower such as Ferroseed, t. (AP) This also allows it to Speed tie with base 11 Speed Pokemon, such as Mudbray. The Eviolite is very important for Pumpkaboo-XL, (AC) as it maximizes ithe latter's defenses, (AC) making it more bulkier, (AC) which helps Pumpkaboo-XLit maintain its longevity in battle. Frisk is the ability of choice out of Pickup and Insomnia because Pumpkaboo-XL shouldn't be losing its item in the first place if necessary, and Pumpkaboo-XL is already immune to most sleep-inducing moves, respectively; Frisk can also help determine the variant of the opposing Pokemonfoe's set, (AC) which provides good foresight. A Calm nature is the preferred nature for Pumpkaboo-XL, (AC) as it further increases Pumpkaboo-XL's Special Defense, (AC) making it more specially bulky; thea Calm nature's drawbacks don't affect Pumpkaboo-XL, as this variant of the latterset doesn't use physical attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Pumpkaboo-XL should be switched into a Rapid Sspinner in attempt to spinblock, allowing entry hazards to stay on the opposing side of the field. Pumpkaboo-XL can also be sent out early-game to useand spam Will-O-Wisp to spread burns and cripple unfortunate early-game physical attackers. Pumpkaboo-XL can also switch into Pokemon that it can check, such and Mudbray and some Pokemon that have weak Special Defense. It is best to keep Pumpkaboo-XL in the game until all of the Rapid Sspinners are defeated, (AC) as if ithe former faints before all Rapid Sspinners are defeated, there is a big possibility that the entry hazards on the opposing side will be removed. Pumpkaboo-XL should also be cautious of Life Orb Ice Beam Staryu, especially if it runs its physically defensive EV spread. Pumpkaboo-XL should generally avoid Knock Off, as it hits Pumpkaboo-XL super effectively and takes away Pumpkaboo-XL'its Eviolite, (AC) which is very important in maintaining Pumpkaboo-XL'its precious bulk.

Team Options
========

Since Pumpkaboo-XL is a spinblocker, it would be sensible to have entry hazard setters such as Drilbur, Ferroseed, Mareanie, and Surskit as teammates. The aforementioned entry hazard setters also appreciate Pumpkaboo-XL's utility, although; (ASC) however, Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used on non-entry hazard-stacking teams, (AC) as it can still check some Pokemon such as Mudbray. Pumpkaboo-XL's main checks are Dark-, Fire-, and Flying-type Pokemon such as Pawniard, Ponyta, Vullaby, and Pawniard, which can mostly wall all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and defeat it easily, although Pawniard and physical Vullaby sets do not appreciate getting a burn, and defeat Pumpkaboo-XL easilyburned; Ponyta can also easily switch into an expected Will-O-Wisp. In the case of above, great partners to theseGreat partners to check the aforementioned Pokemon are Timburr, Mienfoo, and Chinchou, as Timburr can be good on hazard stackentry hazard-stacking teams and can handle Houndour and Ponyta, (AC) as it doesn't mind getting potentially burned and can KO ithem, Mienfoo can handle Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard bu; (ASC) however, (AC) it does mind getting burned, and Chinchou can take care of Vullaby and Ponyta with its Water- and Electric-type moves,; the former can also provide a slow Volt Switch to get Pumpkaboo-XL safely into battle if necessary. Knock Off users and Pursuit trappers can be a pain to Pumpkaboo-XL, (AC) as both are super effective against Pumpkaboo-XL, so Pokemon such as Trubbish and Diglett can be of use, (AC) as Trubbish can deal with Knock Off users easily because of its decent physical bulk and it's ability: Sticky Hold, while on the other hand,ereas Diglett can trap Pursuit trappers can, (AC) can most likely OHKO them, and can also deal with Fire-types and some Steel-types for Pumpkaboo-XL, while itand Pumpkaboo-XL can deal with Water- and Grass-types for it in return. Special walls can obviously walltake nearly all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and proceed to stall Pumpkaboo-XL until it gets KOed, although some of them don't appreciate getting burned, and proceed to stall Pumpkaboo-XL to death, so powerful physical attackers can help Pumpkaboo-XL take care of the special walls. Pawniard also makes for a good teammate to Pumpkaboo-XL as the latter cannot spin, (AC) as it cannot block Defog, so Pawniard can switch into an expected Defog and gain a free Defiant boost in compensation for the removal of the entry hazards.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Pumpkaboo-XL's primary Grass-typecial STAB move, (AC) hitting Rock-, Water-, and Ground-type Pokemon such as [ROCK TYPE HERE], (AC) Chinchou, Mudbray, and Slowpoke, it also provide(AC) and Mudbray. (AP) it also acts as a source of recovery. Bullet Seed can be used over Giga Drain because it hits harder generally and it hits physically instead of specially, it can break Sturdy, (AC) and can be very effective against Pokemon like Onix and Tirtouga,; (ASC) however, Mudbray gets insane Stamina boosts from Bullet Seed and can wall it as its Defense rises. Synthesis is Pumpkaboo-XL's main recovery option, (AC) as it helps maintain Pumpkaboo-XL's longevity in battle, (AC) allowing it to spinblock for its team. Will-O-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo-XL to spread burns and cripple unfortunate physical attackers that may switch into it. Shadow Sneak is Pumpkaboo-XL's secondary STAB move and priority move, which allows it to pick off weakened Pokemon and hit Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon super effectively. Fire Blast can be used instead of Shadow Sneak, to hit Steel-, Grass-, Bug-, and Ice-types such as Ferroseed, [GRASS-TYPE], [BUG-TYPE], (AC) and Alolan Sandshrew, super effectively.

Set Details
========

Pumpkaboo-XL's main EV spread allows it to be quite bulky on both defenses, mainly increasing it's Special Defense to nearly be on par with its already high physical Defense, making it very bulky, which helps it go against Staryu, one of common Rapid Sspinners in the metagame. The EV spread also allows Pumpkaboo-XL to hit decently hard and outspeed base 10 Speed Pokemon and Speed tie with base 11 Speed Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Mudbray, respectively; however, thea Sassy nature, if used, will cut Pumpkaboo-XL's Speed to some degree. Instead of the main EV spread, Pumpkaboo-XL can run a physically defensive EV spread (of 204 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe), which allows it to further enhance its monstrous physical Defense to check Mudbray more efficiently, although this leaves it vulnerable to powerful special attackers. The Eviolite plays a large role in Pumpkaboo-XL's longevity, (AC) as it maximizes its already bulky defenses. Frisk is the superior choice out of Pickup and Insomnia as Pumpkaboo-XL shouldn't lose its item and is already immune to most sleep-inducing moves; Frisk alsohigh bulk. Frisk can possibly determine the set of the opposing Pokemon, (AC) creating insight for your teammates. ThePumpkaboo-XL's teammates. A Sassy nature can be used to further enhance Pumpkaboo-XL's Special Defense, (AC) giving it more bulk, at the cost of its Speed, (AC) which isn't thatas important as its bulk. Instead of losing its Speed, Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize thea Careful nature, (AC) which also increases Pumpkaboo-XL'its special bulk but lowers its Special Attack, making moves such as Giga Drain and Fire Blast not aless effective, so this nature is prefered if Pumpkaboo-XL chooses to use Bullet Seed and Shadow Sneak.

Usage Tips
========

Like the special spinblocker variant, Pumpkaboo-XL's main purpose of this set is to switch into Rapid Sspinners and prevent them from removing the entry hazards on their side of the field, which helps the sweepers on Pumpkaboo-XL's team to sweep efficiently. Pumpkaboo-XL can deal with most Rapid Spinners, and force them outout most spinners, preventing them from removing the entry hazards. Pumpkaboo-XL should be kept alive until all Rapid Sspinners are defeated, as if Pumpkaboo-XL faints before that, the entry hazards could be removed, (AC) decreasing yourPumpkaboo-XL's team's sweeping capabilities. Pumpkaboo-XL, like the previousspecial variant, should be wary of Knock Off, (AC) as it takes away an important fractionactor of its bulk, (AC) leaving it more vulnerable to attacks. Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used early-game to spread burns and cripple early-game physical attackers, (AC) which renders them mostly useless.

Team Options
========

Since this variant of Pumpkaboo-XL is also a spinblocker, Pokemon like Drilbur, Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Surskit appreciate Pumpkaboo-XL's utility that keepsability to keep their entry hazards on the opposing side,; (ASC) however, Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used without entry hazard setters, as it can still check important Pokemon. Pawniard is a great asset to the team, (AC) as Pumpkaboo-XL cannot block Defog, so Pawniard can punish Defog users by gaining a Defiant boost as compensation for the loss of entry hazards. Knock Off users and Pursuit trappers spell trouble for Pumpkaboo-XL, (AC) as both can hit the latterit super effectively, so Pokemon like Trubbish and Diglett are great partners, as Trubbish can easily take a Knock Off due to its good physical bulk and its Sticky Hold ability, while Diglett can trap Pursuit trappers and can most likely OHKO them and can also deal with Fire-types that might pose a problem to Pumpkaboo-XL. Pokemon such as Mienfoo, Timburr, and Chinchou, like mentioned in the previous variant can deal with opposing Vullaby, Steel-, Dark-, and Fire-types for Pumpkaboo-XL; Chinchou and Pumpkaboo-XL also have a good typing synergy, (AC) as both can deal with each others' (AA) checks, (AC) and Chinchou can provide a useful slow Volt Switch for Pumpkaboo-XL to safely enter battle.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
(remove line)
Other Options
=============

A Trick Room set with Trick Room, either Giga Drain /or Bullet Seed, Will-O-Wisp, and either Destiny Bond /or Explosion with a Quiet or Brave nature and an EV spread of 44 HP / 44 Atk / 196 Def / 156 SpD / 68 SpA can be used for Pumpkaboo-XL and other slow Pokemon to sweep the opposing team, although with the loss of one of the best Trick Room sweepers: Porygon, this set becameis underwhelming. Rock Slide can be very effective on the aforementioned Trick Room set, (AC) as it hits Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon such as Ponyta, Vullaby, and Slush Rush Ice-types super effectively while outspeeding them as well, this includes Ponyta, Vullaby and Slush Rush Ice-types,; (ASC) however, Fire Blast hits Ice-types much morea lot harder than Rock Slide. Another form of recovery that Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize is Leech Seed + Protect, as Pumpkaboo-XLit can drain the opposing Pokemon's health and use Protect to heal itself up safely; (ASC) however, this combination is underwhelming, (AC) as it takes significant space in Pumpkaboo-XL's moveslot and is too passive in comparison tof the more reliable Synthesis. Instead of Will-O-Wisp, Toxic can be used to cripple setup sweepers and can be spread early-game, crippling opposing Pokemon, and some of its checks. Pumpkaboo-XL can also utilize the Ghostium Z and Trick Or + Trick-or-Treat to gain a boost to all of its stats,; (AC) however, Pumpkaboo-XL's bulk is much more important than stat boosts, (AC) as Pumpkaboo-XL should be as bulky as it can be while Z-Trick or -or-Treat is much more fit for Pumpkaboo-S because of its superior offensive capabilities.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types** Fire-types, especially Houndour, which has a super effective typing against Pumpkaboo-XL's two types (Dark and Fire against Ghost and Grass), can resist nearly all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and likely OHKO or 2HKO Pumpkaboo-XLit with super effective special moves without much difficulty; some Fire-types can also gain a Flash Fire boost if they switch into Will-O-Wisp, (AC) causing much trouble for Pumpkaboo-XL and possibly it's teammates.

**Guts uUsers** Guts users such as Timburr and Taillow can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp because of the reduced damage a burn deals per turn, and instead of getting their Attack stat crippled, it increases to a high degree due to the Guts boost, andso they can just defeat Pumpkaboo-XL easily with a move like Knock Off and Brave Bird, respectively.

**Dark- and Flying-types** Dark- and Flying-types, especially special attacking Vullaby, can easily deal with Pumpkaboo-XL with their super effective STAB moves, although most don't appreciate being burned by Will-O-Wisp, most of them can take all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and retaliate with much stronger moves, (AC) either OHKOing or 2HKOing Pumpkaboo-XL with minimal effort, although most don't appreciate being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

Please read our standards and read over what you write before sending this into GP.
GP 1/2

Conni

katharsis
Thanks!
Sorry for the lack of proofreading, I barely had enough time to with my hiatus approaching, but I'll keep this for further notice.

Tagging OP

edit: fixed gothita mentions, thats the least I can do :)

edit edit: sniped

Last edited:

Conni

katharsis
Free from the grasps of mobile, so I can implement the GP checks now.
Ready for GP: 2/2!

GP 2/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

Pumpkaboo-XL is the slowest Pumpkaboo forme; however, it is also the bulkiest with high defense defensive stats, making it one of the bulkiest and best spinblockers in the Little Cup LC metagame. Pumpkaboo-XL has a very fitting movepool, (comma) which benefits suitable to its role as a spinblocker in conjunction with fitting stats that make it very bulky and a decent attacker, thus making it effective at what it does. However, Pumpkaboo-XL's typing makes it vulnerable to many common types in the metagame and prone to as well as the common Knock Off, which is used by most Pokemon in the metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Pumpkaboo-XL's main STAB move, which lets it hit Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types such as Chinchou, Slowpoke, Tirtouga, and Mudbray super effectively, and it also is a semi-reliable recovery option. Pumpkaboo-XL's most reliable form of recovery is Synthesis, allowing it to maintain its longevity in battle to spinblock as long as possible. Will-O-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo-XL to spread status and cripple physical attackers, which switch into this set. Fire Blast is Pumpkaboo-XL's most powerful coverage move, hitting Steel-, Grass-, Bug-, and Ice-types such as Ferroseed, Foongus, Spinarak, and Alolan Sandshrew. Instead of Fire Blast, Shadow Ball can also be run as Pumpkaboo-XL's secondary STAB move, hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Abra and Gastly.

Set Details
========

Pumpkaboo-XL's current EV spread maximizes its special bulk, making it able to deal with more special attacks, since its Special Defense is lower than its physical Defense. The special bulk also allows it to deal with Staryu, a common spinner. Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize a physically defensive EV spread of 204 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe to increase its already high Defense; this allows Pumpkaboo-XL to efficiently check Mudbray, as it is now more resistant to its physical attacks; however, the spread's leaves its lower Special Defense makes Pumpkaboo-XL somewhat vulnerable to special attacks. 28 Speed EVs allow Pumpkaboo-XL to outspeed base 10 Speed Pokemon such as Ferroseed. This They also allows it to Speed tie with Pokemon that reach 11 Speed Pokemon, such as Mudbray. Eviolite is very important for Pumpkaboo-XL, as it maximizes its defenses, making it bulkier, which helps it maintain its longevity in battle. Frisk is the ability of choice because it can help determine the foe's set, which provides good foresight. A Calm nature is preferred for Pumpkaboo-XL, as it further increases Pumpkaboo-XL's Special Defense, making it more specially bulky; (semicolon) a Calm nature's drawbacks don't affect Pumpkaboo-XL, as this set doesn't use physical attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Pumpkaboo-XL should be switched into a spinner in to attempt to spinblock, allowing entry hazards to stay on the opposing side of the field. Pumpkaboo-XL can also be sent out early-game and spam Will-O-Wisp to spread burns and cripple early-game physical attackers. Pumpkaboo-XL can also switch into Pokemon that it can check, such and as Mudbray and some Pokemon that have weak low Special Defense. It is best to keep Pumpkaboo-XL in the game until all of the opponent's spinners are defeated, (comma) as if it faints before all spinners are defeated, there is a big possibility that the entry hazards on the opposing side will be to ensure that the opposing side's entry hazards don't get removed. Pumpkaboo-XL should also be cautious of Life Orb Ice Beam Staryu, especially if it runs its physically defensive EV spread. Pumpkaboo-XL should generally avoid Knock Off, as it hits Pumpkaboo-XL super effectively and takes away its Eviolite, which is very important in maintaining its precious bulk.

Team Options
========

Since Pumpkaboo-XL is a spinblocker, it would be sensible to have entry hazard setters such as Drilbur, Ferroseed, Mareanie, and Surskit as teammates. The aforementioned entry hazard setters also appreciate Pumpkaboo-XL's utility; however, Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used on non-entry hazard-stacking teams that don't rely on stacking hazards, as it can still check some Pokemon such as Mudbray. Pumpkaboo-XL's main checks are Dark-, Fire-, and Flying-type Pokemon such as Pawniard, Ponyta, and Vullaby, which can mostly wall all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and defeat it easily, (comma) although Pawniard and physical Vullaby sets do not appreciate getting burned; Ponyta can also easily switch into an expected Will-O-Wisp. Great partners to check the aforementioned Pokemon are Timburr, Mienfoo, and Chinchou, as Timburr can be good on entry hazard-stacking teams and can handle Houndour and Ponyta, as it doesn't mind getting potentially burned and can KO them,; (comma) (semicolon) Mienfoo can handle Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard; (semicolon) however, but it does mind getting burned,; (comma) (semicolon) and Chinchou can take care of Vullaby and Ponyta with its Water- and Electric-type moves; (semicolon) the former can also as well as provide a slow Volt Switch to get Pumpkaboo-XL safely into battle if necessary. Knock Off users and Pursuit trappers can be a pain to Pumpkaboo-XL, as both are super effective against Pumpkaboo-XL, so Pokemon such as Trubbish and Diglett can be of use,; (comma) (semicolon) as Trubbish can deal with Knock Off users easily because of its decent physical bulk and it's ability:, (colon) (comma) Sticky Hold, whereas Diglett can trap Pursuit trappers, (comma) can and most likely OHKO them, and can also deal with Fire-types and some Steel-types for Pumpkaboo-XL,; (comma) (semicolon) and Pumpkaboo-XL can deal with Water- and Grass-types for it in return. Special walls can take nearly all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and proceed to stall out Pumpkaboo-XL until it gets KOed, (comma) (although some of them don't appreciate getting burned), so powerful physical attackers can help Pumpkaboo-XL take care of them special walls. Pawniard also makes for a good teammate to Pumpkaboo-XL, as it which cannot block Defog,; (comma) (semicolon) so Pawniard can switch into an expected Defog and gain a free Defiant boost in compensation for the removal of the entry hazards.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Pumpkaboo-XL's primary Grass-type STAB move, (AC) hitting Rock-, Water-, and Ground-type Pokemon such as Tirtouga, Chinchou, Slowpoke, and Mudbray. It also acts as a source of recovery. Bullet Seed can be used over Giga Drain because it generally hits harder, (comma) generally and hits physically instead of specially is physical instead of special, and can break Sturdy, which can be very effective against Pokemon like Onix and Tirtouga; however, Mudbray gets insane Stamina boosts from Bullet Seed and can wall it Pumpkaboo-XL as its Defense rises. Synthesis is Pumpkaboo-XL's main recovery option, as it helps maintain Pumpkaboo-XL's longevity in battle, allowing it to spinblock consistently for its team. Will-O-Wisp allows Pumpkaboo-XL to spread burns and cripple physical attackers that may switch into it. Shadow Sneak is Pumpkaboo-XL's secondary STAB move and a priority move, which allows it to pick off weakened Pokemon and hit Ghost- and Psychic-types Pokemon super effectively. Fire Blast can be used instead of Shadow Sneak to hit Steel-, Grass-, Bug-, and Ice-types such as Ferroseed, Foongus, Spinarak, and Alolan Sandshrew super effectively.

Set Details
========

Pumpkaboo-XL's main EV spread allows it to be quite bulky, increasing its Special Defense to nearly be on par with its already high Defense, making it very bulky, which helps it go against Staryu, one of the most common spinners in the metagame. The EV spread also allows Pumpkaboo-XL to hit decently hard and outspeed base 10 Speed Pokemon and Speed tie with 11 Speed Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Mudbray, respectively; however, a Sassy nature will cut Pumpkaboo-XL's Speed to some degree. Instead of the main EV spread, Pumpkaboo-XL can run a physically defensive EV spread of 204 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe, which allows it to further enhance its monstrous physical Defense to check Mudbray more efficiently effectively, although but this leaves it vulnerable to powerful special attackers. Eviolite plays a large role in Pumpkaboo-XL's longevity, as it maximizes its already high bulk. Frisk can possibly potentially determine the set of the opposing Pokemon, (AC) creating insight for Pumpkaboo-XL's teammates. A Sassy nature can be used to further enhance Pumpkaboo-XL's Special Defense, (AC) giving it more bulk at the cost of its Speed, (AC) which isn't as important as its bulk. Instead of losing its Speed, Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize a Careful nature, (AC) which also increases its special bulk but lowers its Special Attack, making moves such as Giga Drain and Fire Blast less effective, so this nature is prefered if Pumpkaboo-XL chooses to use Bullet Seed and Shadow Sneak.

Usage Tips
========

Like the special spinblocker variant, Pumpkaboo-XL's main purpose is to switch into spinners and prevent them from removing the entry hazards on their side of the field, which helps the sweepers on Pumpkaboo-XL's team to sweep efficiently. Pumpkaboo-XL can deal with and force out most spinners, preventing them from removing the entry hazards. Pumpkaboo-XL should be kept alive until all spinners are defeated, as if Pumpkaboo-XL faints before that, the entry hazards could be removed, decreasing Pumpkaboo-XL's team's sweeping capabilities. Pumpkaboo-XL, like the special variant, should be wary of Knock Off, as it takes away an important factor of its bulk, leaving it more vulnerable to attacks. Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used early-game to spread burns and cripple physical attackers, which renders them mostly useless.

Team Options
========

Since this variant of Pumpkaboo-XL is also a spinblocker, Pokemon like Drilbur, Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Surskit appreciate Pumpkaboo-XL's ability to keep their entry hazards on the opposing side; however, Pumpkaboo-XL can also be used without entry hazard setters, as it can still check important Pokemon. Pawniard is a great asset to the team, as Pumpkaboo-XL cannot block Defog, so Pawniard can punish Defog users by gaining a Defiant boost as compensation for the loss of entry hazards. Knock Off users and Pursuit trappers spell trouble for Pumpkaboo-XL, as both can hit it super effectively, so Pokemon like Trubbish and Diglett are great partners, as Trubbish can easily take a Knock Off due to its good physical bulk and its Sticky Hold ability, while Diglett can trap Pursuit trappers and can most likely OHKO them and can also deal with Fire-types that might pose a problem to Pumpkaboo-XL. Pokemon such as Mienfoo, Timburr, and Chinchou, (comma) can deal with opposing Vullaby, Steel-, Dark-, and Fire-types for Pumpkaboo-XL; Chinchou and Pumpkaboo-XL also have good synergy, as both can deal with each others' checks, and Chinchou can provide a useful slow Volt Switch for Pumpkaboo-XL to safely enter battle.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Trick Room set with Trick Room, either Giga Drain or Bullet Seed, Will-O-Wisp, and either Destiny Bond or Explosion with a Quiet or Brave nature and an EV spread of 44 HP / 44 Atk / 196 Def / 156 SpD / 68 SpA can be used for Pumpkaboo-XL and other slow Pokemon to sweep the opposing team, although but with the loss of one of the best Trick Room sweepers:, (colon) (comma) Porygon, this set is underwhelming. Rock Slide can be very effective on the aforementioned Trick Room set, as it hits Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon such as Ponyta, Vullaby, and Slush Rush Ice-types users super effectively while outspeeding them as well; however, but Fire Blast hits Ice-types a lot harder than Rock Slide. Another form of recovery that Pumpkaboo-XL can utilize is Leech Seed + Protect, as it can drain the opposing Pokemon's health and use Protect to heal itself up safely; however, this combination is underwhelming, as it takes up significant space in Pumpkaboo-XL's moveset and is too passive in comparison to the more reliable Synthesis. Instead of Will-O-Wisp, Toxic can be used to cripple setup sweepers and can be spread early-game, crippling opposing Pokemon and some of its Pumpkaboo-XL's checks. Pumpkaboo-XL can also utilize Ghostium Z + Trick-or-Treat to gain a boost to all of its stats, however, but Pumpkaboo-XL's bulk is much more important than stat boosts,; (comma) (semicolon) as Pumpkaboo-XL should be as bulky as it can be while Z-Trick-or-Treat is much more fitting for Pumpkaboo-S because of its superior offensive capabilities.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types** Fire-types, especially Houndour, which has a super effective typing against Pumpkaboo-XL's, can resist nearly all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves and likely OHKO or 2HKO it with super effective special moves without much difficulty; some Fire-types can also gain a Flash Fire boost if they switch into Will-O-Wisp, causing trouble for Pumpkaboo-XL and its teammates.

**Guts Users** Guts users such as Timburr and Taillow can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp because of the reduced negligible damage a burn deals per turn, (comma) and instead of getting their Attack stat crippled, it increases to a high degree due to the Guts boost, so they can just defeat Pumpkaboo-XL easily with Guts-boosted Knock Off and Brave Bird, respectively.

**Dark- and Flying-types** Dark- and Flying-types, especially special Vullaby, can easily deal with Pumpkaboo-XL with their super effective STAB moves, either OHKOing or 2HKOing it, and can take all of Pumpkaboo-XL's moves, (comma) and retaliate with much stronger moves, either OHKOing or 2HKOing Pumpkaboo-XL with minimal effort, although most don't appreciate being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)