Project PU Underdog Project: Chinchou

Summary

Thanks to great attack + Movepool and the ability intimidate + volt-switch, Luxray is able to solidify itself as a great wallbreaker and pivot. Additionally, a guts set allows Luxray to work as a status absorber and wallbreaker. Unfortunately, Luxray suffers from poor speed and bulk, forcing it to run choice items, limiting the effectiveness of it's movepool and making it easy to take advantage of, additionally it is extremely difficult to bring Luxray in. Guts Lux suffers from similar problems, additionally it gets worn down extremely quickly..
CB Wallbreaker/Pivot

Luxray @ Choice Band (or Scarf)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Superpower
- Volt Switch

Guts Wallbreaker

Luxray @ Flame Orb (Or Toxic orb)
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Superpower
- Facade

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Regice @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Earthquake

Usage:

Choiced Pivot Luxray should be used to pivot into weak attackers it can force out and gain momentum. Use volt-switch on bulky teams as a means to wear them down other wise, use ice fang or superpower for bulky grasses and rock/grounds respectively.. Do not switch into defiant user as this will gain them an attack boost, and switch Luxray in through predicted switches, free turns, and slow u-turns from mons like Vibrava, Vullaby, and Lumineon.

Guts Wallbreaker should be used to pivot into predicted status from mons like Gourg and Misdreavus in order to absorb status. Bring Luxray similarly to Pivot Lux, and be sure that hazards and Luxray checks, such as Gourgeist and Stunfisk are kept to a minimum in order to keep collateral damage low. Luxray cannot afford to take heavy hits, so switch it into mons it forces out and predict accordingly.

Team:

Choiced Pivot Luxray's should in offensive teams of which contain hazard setters like Golem, Gabite, and Quilladin to break sturdies and increase collateral damage. T-wave support from mons like Grumpig and Tank Regice is appreciated to allow Lux to outspeed threats. Set up mons like Relicanth appreciate Luxray softening walls.
(Either set)+
upload_2016-6-3_22-7-56.png
(RP or Tank)+
(Physically Defensive)
Luxray breaks down walls and allows Regice to sweep late game. Regi KO grasses and ground which threaten Lux and Vibrava switches into Golem and Camerupt which trouble the latter and KOs them as well as removes rocks for Regi. If Tank Regi, Regice can t-wave faster mons in order for Lux to outspeed them

Guts Luxray should be used in offensive teams with hazards. Slow u-turners, t-wavers and webs all allow Luxray to keep healthy and wallbreak smoothly. Hazard removal is a necessity if Luxray will be switched in and out constantly. Wish support from Mime and Audino is useful in keeping Luxray in the game.

Luxray rests on the C+ Rank in the viability rankings, this is justified as Luxray's lacklustre speed and bulk, means it relies on forcing switches and prediction. It requires the use of choice items in order to keep up power and speed wise, and because of the popularity to Gabite, Golem and Stunfisk, it's STAB is not spammable by any means, like other wallbreakers such as Stoutland. Luxray does have access to volt-switch, allowing it to pivot, it gets outshines by other electric wallbreakers like Raichu, and pivots like Zebstrika, who offer greater speed. In a metagame centralized on offense, these flaws are a great hindrance. All in all, Luxray can be an amazing wallbreaker, with the support it can devastate teams, but low speed and bulk and no move spam all drive people away from it.

Thanks Amberrlamps for slapping sense into me.

I used Luxray in one of my recent seasonal matches just to see if it would do anything or be a threat and I regretted not having a more efficient breaker. Of course it was just one match so the sample size is small but I still don't think Luxray is any good at all. The move it wants to spam the most (Wild Charge) is difficult to actually spam since the tier naturally prepares for it by using Golem, Stunfisk, Gabite, Leafeon and other things that don't really mind switching in to it.

90% of the time I'd rather just use Stout if I want a somewhat bulky breaker

Sobi

Banned deucer.
thanks for the replies, the best post was 5gen 's so grats to them, our next mon is gonna be Butterfree

nothing really special about it, but it's got a niche in quiver dance + tinted lens, something which should definitely be explored.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
you guys may now post your thoughts n_n

standards:
  • The Pokemon
    • What role does it usually play? How should this Pokemon be used?
    • What moveset does it usually run?
    • Does it have a niche that differentiates itself from other PU mons?
    • Are there any alternatives this Pokemon can run?
    • Why is this Pokemon low-ranked? Why is/n't the meta in favour of this Pokemon? (metagame knowledge gives you plus points)
    • What problems does this Pokemon usually face?
  • The Team
    • What Pokemon work well with the Pokemon?
    • Does the Pokemon need support?
      • Which Pokemon support it?
    • What kind of playstyle does the Pokemon work well on?

012.gif

Butterfree is a unique pokemon in PU. It has access to Tinted Lens, Quiver Dance, and a sleep-inducing move, which seems like an absurdly deadly combination at first glance. However, a closer look reveals that Butterfree isn't as pretty as its design makes it out to be, or at least in battle. A 4x weakness to Stealth Rock is easily the most notable of these weaknesses, wearing Butterfree down fast in tandem with Life Orb recoil, which it needs to obtain crucial KOs. Because of this recoil, Butterfree often requires dedicated hazard control and pivoting to get it in safely, and this is not helped by the fact that it has no defensive synergy whatsoever and often falls to powerful neutral hits, such as Metang's Meteor Mash. All of these attributes, combined with the general oppurtunity cost of using Butterfree (especially in the lead position with double powder), has pushed it to the C rank in the viability rankings.

However, that does not make Butterfree a bad pokemon. If anything, using Butterfree is a bit like using Shell Smash Cloyster in BW OU; it takes skill to use it effectively. It requires the use of a slow U-turn or Volt Switch (or a double switch) to get in safely and fire off a sleep powder or sub. Now, Butterfree typically runs a set to clean late-game, with the following moves:

Butterfree @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder/Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain/Roost

When brought in late-game via good predictions and use of voltturn or double switches, it is very hard to stop. Now, assuming that priority users are gone, and things like Audino have been weakened, the strategy becomes fairly simple; click quiver dance until you can sweep. This may not take getting to +4; in many cases, +1 is enough to finish the game off.

That is probably its best set. You could use a double powder set, but it generally isn't very good, especially with other leads like Glalie and Golem getting entry hazards, taunt, priority, and much more powerful STAB.

Hope you liked this. A bit rushed, but I think I got most of the stuff.

Butterfree's main (and generally only) use is as a Quiver Dance sweeper. It typically runs this set:

Butterfree @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Psychic

Butterfree has a few things that make it the premiere Quiver Dance user in PU. The first is Tinted Lens, which allows it to work around the mediocre coverage provided by its main STAB, Bug Buzz (which is resisted by a whopping 7 types). The second and main thing that makes it preferable over other PU Quiver Dancers like Mothim is access to Sleep Powder, which allows it to neutralize potential counters as they switch in and allow it time to set up. Finally, it has some decent coverage options like Energy Ball, Psychic and even Shadow Ball.

Butterfree does have some other options available; it has acceptable SpD and an array of support moves like Stun Spore, Tailwind, Roost and U-turn. However, it's highly outclassed in this role by things like Roselia, Clefairy and Tangela, and should therefore stick to its Quiver Dance niche.

So why isn't Butterfree out tearing up teams with everything listed above going for it? For starters, its typing puts it at a huge defensive disadvantage, requiring Defog support unless it wants to start every battle at 50% HP due to Stealth Rock. It's also weak to a wide array of common attacking types: in addition to its 4x weakness to Rock, it's weak to Electric, Fire, Ice and Flying. This means common Pokes like Golem, Zebstrika, Swanna, Articuno, Dodrio, Regice and Chatot can tear Butterfree apart if they get the drop on it. It also means a lot of teams will be naturally prepared to handle Butterfree, with multiple options to switch in if the first one is hit by Sleep Powder.

Recent metagame trends have also been unkind to Butterfree. Mawile's drop led to a rise in the use of Fire types, who can completely wall Butterfree sets that run Energy Ball. Most notable is Monferno, who has no problem with Energy Ball Butterfree variants thanks to its 4x resistance to Bug cancelling out Tinted Lens' power boost on Bug Buzz. Mawile itself also does well against Butterfree, sporting the same 4x resistance to Bug and resisting both Energy Ball and Psychic. Swords Dance Mawile variants in particular love Butterfree once something has absorbed Sleep Powder as it gives it free time to set up.

Given that, Butterfree definitely needs some support to work. Bulky offense teams will generally serve it best, taking the hits Butterfree can't survive and softening up its counters to allow it to sweep. Swanna is a good partner, taking on Monferno and clearing SR with Defog, although you'll need to be careful of their shared weaknesses. Chinchou resist Ice and Water, is immune to Electric and has a slower Volt Switch to allow Butterfree to come in unscathed. Physical attackers are necessary to take out specially defensive Pokemon like Clefairy and Audino who can take boosted hits from Butterfree. Gabite and Golem can work well, providing decent type synergy and hazards that will help Butterfree net KOs.

Overall, Butterfree can be a fun wincon if you can get it to work, but you might be better off using something that doesn't require so much support and that isn't so easily checked by the average PU team.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
012.png

Butterfree @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Bug Buzz
- U-Turn / Quiver Dance

So even before PUPL started our team started talking about Buttefree because I guess it's one of those cool looking things. The problem is that QD really sucks. Like it's just not worth using. Dual powder at least does something cool and fresh because it's a real pain to deal with as a lead as long as they don't happen to have something like a Vullaby, and that's why I slashed quiver dance because it actually wasn't the worst thing I've used. As a mon to forcibly cripple a few things for the rest of the team, Butterfree doesn't really have much comparison because it has the combination of better speed, being more threatening to common immunities, and being awesome because obviously that has to factor into why you'd want to use this over anything else. So yeah, you lead with it, status a few things or do some damage, probably go down but maybe have death fodder for later, and it's not a terrible way to start off the game. idk what else I'm supposed to say here, there have been some really long posts about fairly straightforward things and this really is as easy as lead, click a powder, click something else, die. As far as actually going on teams, some kind of off-beat offense that wants a more original way to start out that doesn't force it to be hazard centric because for whatever reason you decided to not use spikes on HO in this metagame.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
next topic:

krokorok

discuss~ by the way, i made a few changes to how this will run, each week i'll just give you a pokemon to discuss, battling / voting phase seems really unnecessary :toast:

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Krokorok @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Set I first saw brought by ManOfMany here. It's pretty straightforward with two great STABS alongside Taunt for other leads and SR for hazards.

The role this Krok set plays is suicide lead, Taunting opposing leads or incoming mons like Defoggers and setting up rocks. Knock Off and Earthquake are fantastic STABS hitting most things at least neutrally. The 271 speed is nice because you outspeed a good chunk of leads and other pokemon such as Adamant Stoutland or Grumpig. 82 attack isn't bad either giving it's attacks some power. The ability chosen is Intimidate which is self explanatory, dishing out -1 atk upon switch-in. Focus Sash gives you that insurance vs bad match-ups like being anti-lead by a Ninjask or Float.

Lead Krokorok is best used on offensive teams because of it's suicide lead nature, decent speed and the fact it can't live hits. All in all an alright mon that can provide rocks, an electric and psychic immunity and offensive presence/momentum from the start if played correctly.

Sobi

Banned deucer.

Krokorok @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

came across this set on the internet and it looks pretty interesting. defensive stealth rock is a really cool set and the EVs work so that Krokorok is able to live Timid & Modest grumpig's focus blast as well as mr. mime's focus blast & dazzling gleam, which is quite interesting seeing as it faints to all those attacks when running the standard offensive set. while this set may look outclassed by gabite, krokorok manages to hold its notch with intimidate and taunt, the former allowing it to switch into physical attackers a bit more freely and the latter allowing it to stallbreak which is very useful.
  • 252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Eviolite Krokorok: 252-296 (77.7 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Grumpig Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Eviolite Krokorok: 256-302 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Mr. Mime Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Eviolite Krokorok: 248-294 (76.5 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Eviolite Krokorok: 221-260 (68.2 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Eviolite Krokorok: 186-218 (57.4 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Eviolite Krokorok: 114-136 (35.1 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Metang Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Eviolite Krokorok: 91-108 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

the next pokemon we're going to be focusing on is glaceon

glaceon has a fantastic special defense, defense and special attack stat which allows it to switch into many attacks with ease. however, its poor speed means it can easily be picked off and outsped by common metagame threats.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I really can't speak for Glaceon's viability all that much, but what I can say is that it's an extremely fun/noob-friendly pokemon to use. It's like Exploud in RU. Literally all you have to do is click Specs Ice Beam and watch things die. You really don't even have to predict because Ice Beam does so much to resists, except for Metang which you just Shadow Ball.

http://hastebin.com/fehagaromi.md

Here's a Glaceon Volt-Turn team. It pairs extremely well with Ninjask btw

Glaceon @ Life Orb
Ability: Ice Body
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Ground / Fighting
- Substitute / Shadow Ball
- Work Up

Has someone tried this one on with Baton Passing from Jask? (I might be using it later) I guess at +1 SpA + LO and +2 Spe, it can blow through a LOT of things... And since its decently bulky, it can setup against a few things... For a Two attack + Sub, HP Ground gives the best neutral coverage, while HP Fighting will be better with Shadow Ball...

Some Calcs:
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Glaceon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 227-269 (55.3 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Glaceon Shadow Ball vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 315-372 (92.3 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Glaceon Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 242-286 (100.4 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I guess with the support from Jask, it can be more powerful and good enough against offense...

cool team, just a few questions if you don't mind answering

- nooby question probably but why do you run both ice beam & frost breath on the same set on glaceon? and what does hidden power ground hit?
- another nooby question but why do you run giga impact on ninjask? and why infiltrator > speed boost?
- when raichu is weakened or fainted, how do you deal with electric-types?
1.- HP ground does have better neutral coverage with Ice Beam/Frost Breath, still getting the 4x hit against Probopass but more importantly doesn't lower your Speed IV, which can be kinda relevant on Glaceon's speed tier for some people... I would personally use HP Fighting with Shadow Ball... About Frost Breath/Ice Beam is just that since Glaceon's movepool sucks badly, you can just use another STAB that could help to beat a few things like CroBink or other Calm Mind Users. However since Frost Breath doesn't have perfect accuracy, Ice Beam is still a better bet against the majority of the enemies.

2.- Jask movepool is also shallow... So, in a Banded Jask, Giga Impact can be a decent neutral hit before falling... Also, since Jask is Banded and part of a Volt-Turn core, why would you need Speed Boost?
3.- From what I see, I think Revenge Killing with Ferno-Jask, looks like the best option... However unless is really weakened, a decent Electric Type can deal heavy damage against this team...

Then, another thing is that I've tried now passing speed to Glaceon and u know what? Every single decently prepared team will blow through that... Even at +1 SpA LO Timid Glaceon struggles a little bit against a few things, just cuz isn't strong enough to blow through Choke and Ferno... Also SR is sooooo common and the defoggers - Spinner that we have, do not have great synergy with Glaceon-Jask... Then I feel that strategy pretty much underwhelming! :(

See ya!

Glaceon is a fantastic wallbreaker with a base 130 SP.A and good offensive typing, coupled with specs, allows for ice beam to be very spammable. Glaceon also has decent bulk, allowing it to take hits fairly. Unfortunately, Glaceon's lack-lustre speed and movepool hold it back from wallbreaking easily. It's SR weakness and allows it to be worn down easily. Additionally, it competes with other offensive ices, like Rotom and Regice, which have a secondary STAB and superior movepool + Rock polish, respectively.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Glaceon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 192-226 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
>252+ SpA Choice Specs Glaceon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Monferno: 204-240 (75.8 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
>252+ SpA Choice Specs Glaceon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ninetales: 120-142 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Glaceon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Floatzel: 208-246 (66.8 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Glaceon @ Choice Specs/Icicle Plate
Ability: Ice Body
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass/Toxic

Usage
Glaceon is best brought in on weak attacks(from walls such as Tangela, whom cannot harm it), slow volt-turns, and free turns) into mons it can scare out namely grasses, and weakened threats in order to gain momentum. Prediction plays a huge role with Glaceon and getting locked into the wrong move can be detrimental, as you give up a turn.

Glaceon should be used in teams with hazard removal from mons like, Vibrava, Vullaby, and Armaldo. Vibrava and Monferno in particular, having good synergy, with Vibrava checking fires and rocks, and Monferno wearing down Grumpig. Slow pivots like the Probopass, Defensive Mawile, and Vullaby are helpful. Finally, Water and Grass typed wincons like Huntail and other wincons such as Fraxure, which are walled by bulky grasses are good partners.

Thoughts
Glaceon, throughout my games, hit surprisingly hard, offering to be a great wallbreaker, but I found it rather hard to get Glaceon out into the field, SR weakness, poor typing, and barely passable bulk, made this task difficult, though this became far easier with the use of slow volt-turners and hazard control. In the end, I like Glaceon, a special hammer is something that is very useful, with a good amount of speed in the team, it can be very effective.

Glaceon is currently in C- position in the viability thread, this is reasonable as the meta isn't very good for it at the moment. With the drop of Mawile, fire types waters, and steels have become more popular, meaning Glaceon's checks are much more prevalent than before. The metagame also keeps striving for speed, so Glaceon can be easily revenge killed. Lastly, due to the popularity of SR in PU, and Glaceon's item choice specs, if it is locked into the wrong move, it must switch out, wearing it down in the process, assuming hazard control is not available. All in all, Glaceon is a fantastic wallbreaker with an amazingly spammable STAB Ice Beam, but it's speed and the metagame do not help its cause.

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.

iirc there was quite a bit of usage with this mon and i'm definitely interested to know why. if you had something to say about glaceon, you can still say it by the way.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

So this is one of the two members of the infamous swanna-chinchou core oo
the little fish got a nice amount of popularity in pupl which eventually contributed it to make it rise to C+ rank afterwards, as it worked really well in its job to counter electrics, water types and other special threats such as regice as well as being able to stop the opposing momentum while grabbing your own with volt switch. The set listed above is basically the only one it always runs, considering also its lack of recovery which means restalk is crucial here, as it helps it to absorb status, also volt switch gives important momentum while scald is the obvious stab here.
However it has some cons too, having to rely on eviolite means it may lose part of its effectiveness of special wall if it gets worn down by knock off. It needs also a defensive backbone to work with(and here comes swanna, in most of the cases) in order to form an effective defensive core, also I'd like to mention that giving 80 speed evs could help chinchou to deal with max spe adamant 45 base speed threats by outspeeding them.

Overall I'd say its such a nice little bulky water who earned its own place in the tier, also heres a sample featuring this mon
Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Def / 168 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Toxic
- Baton Pass

Swanna @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 236 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Chinchou @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- U-turn

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Klang @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I currently haven't a ton of experience of Chinchuo, because stall bores the shit out of me, but I will still state what I have already accumulated about it just to give this thread some more steam.

Chinchou @ Eviolite ~80 EVs from SP.D, can be invested into speed to outspeed Golem
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Summary

Chinchuo has cemented itself into the PU metagame with its ability to check water, electric and ice coverage. Allowing to check a multitude of pokemon, including Zebstrika, Floatzel, and Regice. Volt-Switch allows it to pivot out into teammates and Scald can cause burns, crippling physical attackers on the switch-in. Chinchuo also has access to restalk and respectable bulk thanks to eviolite, allowing to sponge hits and status, all in all making it a solid addition to bulky, defense-oriented teams.

Like all mons, Chinchuo does come with drawbacks, Chinchuo's low physical bulk means it's forced out by strong physical wallbreakers, and Knock-O severely cripples its sponging abilities. Secondly, Chinchuo is fairly passive, making it easy set-up fodder. Lastly, Chinchuo also relies on restalk, an unreliable form of recovery, to keep itself alive.

Metagame

I wouldn't say the metagame is in favor of Chinchuo as it stands. Due to the ban of machoke, swanna has died off in popularity, giving chinchuo less of a reason to be used, additionally, Machoke's leaving meant the multitude of physical attackers it checked, are used in greater quantity. This change also resulted in the meta becoming more offensive/balance-oriented. Overall making Chinchuo harder to fit in teams, especially with the existance of Seaking, a more offensive alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)