Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
What problem would you foresee if one attempted to create an all-bug team, for winning tournaments and climbing high in the ladder? It would also be acceptable to have possibly 5 bug types and one "bug-like" pokemon, either in appearance or character

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
What problem would you foresee if one attempted to create an all-bug team, for winning tournaments and climbing high in the ladder? It would also be acceptable to have possibly 5 bug types and one "bug-like" pokemon, either in appearance or character
While there are many issues with running a Monotype team in PU, the glaring issue is the overlapping type weaknesses. Several of our most prominent Pokemon here in PU such as Pyroar, Aurorus, and Archeops all steamroll over Mono-Bug. When making a competitively viable team, one of the first things you should consider is spreading out your weaknesses. Utilizing Mono-Bug, or any Mono PU team for that matter will have always have a difficult time on ladder (and especially in tournaments) against types that its weak to.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
surely there is a rock-bug, which can be passed speed boosts, or perhaps with the help of a sticky web, to defeat all three listed threats
We do indeed have Armaldo, who also just so happens to be S Ranked for Monotype Bug teams. However, I would like to reiterate that PU still does not enough capable Pokemon to pull this strategy off. For one, Baton Pass is banned from PU and has been for a while now. Sticky Web is also fairly easy for any competent player to Defog or Rapid Spin away from the field. To put it short, there are too many threats that just run through a Mono-Bug PU team for it to amount to any sort of viability or effectiveness.

I haven't played Showdown in about two weeks or so. Why did Mach Punch and Seismic Toss get banned? I've been looking around the forum but I'm only able to find information about mons and not moves.

Because they're incompatible together. You can't have ingame a magmar with these 2 moves.
This. Mach Punch was introduced as an egg move for Magmar in Gen IV, whereas Seismic Toss was a move tutor in Gen III, and a TM in Gen I. Since you can't get a Magmar with Mach Punch in Gen III (or in the Gen I Virtual Console releases), nor is Seismic Toss breedable for Magmar, the combination is impossible.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
What boosted and unboosted mons does timid scarf Rotom outspeed that modest scarf Rotom doesn't? (Frost/Fan)
Choice Scarf:
  • +2 neutral-natured Gorebyss guaranteed (Modest speed ties)
  • +2 neutral-natured Exeggutor-K (Chlorophyll), Golurk, Combusken, Torterra, and Aurorus
  • +2 positive-natured Crustle
  • Neutral-natured Ninjask
  • +1 positive-natured Masquerain and Mesprit
Unboosted:
  • Positive-natured Pinsir, Skuntank, base 80s, Absol, Kingler, Hitmonchan, Alolan Raticate, and Misdreavus
Overall, Timid Rotom-Frost is always worth it over Modest; outspeeding the listed Pokemon is just so important. Same with Rotom-Fan, although if not using Choice Scarf it will not be using Timid either, as its only other set is Defensive Defog.

For future reference, the PU Resources Thread (or, in your situation, the Speed Tiers) are of great help to questions like yours.

I'm uncertain about Aurorus, but I'd like to address the fact that Gastrodon isn't at all broken in our metagame; it's actually a very healthy element, checking threats like Kingler. Just because a Pokemon is used in a tier like OU doesn't automatically make it broken in any of the tiers below.
That makes sense I guess we'll have to deal with that water slug for longer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)