PU Analysis Discussion Thread

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread's purpose is to provide a way for users to suggest changes or improvements to any currently uploaded PU analyses that will be seen in a public forum. Do not make trivial one-liners, if you want a significant set change then provide some kind of reasoning for why it's an improvement over the current set. For smaller changes, such as EV spreads or a slash, contact a section moderator instead.

This is a question about a PU Analysis, not a suggestion. If I'm supposed to ask this somewhere else, please let me know.

I was reading appletun's analysis, when on it's tank set I saw it suggest no item. Why is this? I see no reason not to run leftovers.

Reactions: gum

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a question about a PU Analysis, not a suggestion. If I'm supposed to ask this somewhere else, please let me know.

I was reading appletun's analysis, when on it's tank set I saw it suggest no item. Why is this? I see no reason not to run leftovers.
No item allows Appletun to wall Trevenant and Gourgeist by making Poltergeist ineffective.

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I would also like to bring about the amount of Pokemon listed in the strategy dex page - A number of Pokemon, like Mr. Mime, Silvally-Rock, and Hattrem have been considered unviable for many months. Would it be easier for them to be removed outright from the ”Other Pokemon with Strategies” page?

I was also thinking about announcements on every 3 months, they detail what Pokemon rose from PU/dropped to PU. For example, the OM analyses thread announces what Pokemon are banned and the shifts Pokemon undergo: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/banned-new-pokemon-announcement-threads.3660435/

Alolan Exeggutor also still has its PU analysis up as well.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I would also like to bring about the amount of Pokemon listed in the strategy dex page - A number of Pokemon, like Mr. Mime, Silvally-Rock, and Hattrem have been considered unviable for many months. Would it be easier for them to be removed outright from the ”Other Pokemon with Strategies” page?

I was also thinking about announcements on every 3 months, they detail what Pokemon rose from PU/dropped to PU. For example, the OM analyses thread announces what Pokemon are banned and the shifts Pokemon undergo: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/banned-new-pokemon-announcement-threads.3660435/

Alolan Exeggutor also still has its PU analysis up as well.
I submitted a CMS edit to remove Alolan Exeggutor's analysis. If the QC team wants me to, I can have a look through the current analyses for unviable Pokemon and remove those - I assume you'd want everything not currently on the VR removed?

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I submitted a CMS edit to remove Alolan Exeggutor's analysis. If the QC team wants me to, I can have a look through the current analyses for unviable Pokemon and remove those - I assume you'd want everything not currently on the VR removed?
That’s how analyses should be. All of the ”Other Pokemon with Strategies” should also be removed, yeah.
Lunatone and Thievul have also been recently ranked, so they should be given sample sets.
Also, there are still mentions of Silvally-Steel and Passimian in pages like the Lanturn analysis, the Hitmontop analysis, and the Ribombee analysis.

May I suggest we ban Silvally? its multiattacks hit like a truck and it does not even have to set up to kill pokemon like I can be winning a fight then a Silvally comes in and sweeps me

this isn't the place to make posts like this. if you believe silvally is an unhealthy presence in PU, feel free to make a case for that claim here - asa

Last edited by a moderator:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I've been looking at the current Swoobat set, and to me, it looks unoptimized. I would like to propose an alternative spread I have been testing out.

Swoobat @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 36 HP / 164 Def / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Substitute / Heat Wave

The EVs, compared to the simple max/max spread of the older set, have been changed around more in order to optimize the bulk of Swoobat's Substitute. Notably, a Substitute always bulks a Ferroseed Gyro Ball after Grassy Seed activation, something the current set cannot do.

The replacement of Air Slash with Substitute comes off the reasoning that this set is meant to be a late-game cleaner; thus, Dark-types are removed, and switch-ins such as Gigalith are weakened to the point where Stored Power after a Calm Mind will KO them. With this in mind, Substitute functions as a stopgap to last-resort measures often used to beat setup sweepers, like Trick or random Toxics. I believe Heat Wave is still a viable choice to immediately threaten Steels, and that is why I did not remove it.

Finally, with more EVs to work with, Swoobat gets an extra 13 points in special attack. While this may not seems like much, it bolsters its offensive prowess and allows it to clean easier, and such a small boost in power can often mean the difference between winning and losing.

0 Atk Ferroseed Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 76-90 (22.4 - 26.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Ferroseed Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. +2 36 HP / 164 Def Swoobat: 58-70 (20.4 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 4 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 135-160 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 56 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 144-171 (38.5 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
I would like to ask why Octillery is not in the PU reserve list at all i think he is a really good Pokemon in the PU tier because of his great moveset and his defenses combined with assault vest so it would be very nice if you could put him on there because i have been using Octillery for a while now and know they are better then some of the other Pokemon on the list

I also would like to write a page in dunsparce

hey for analysis we only write on pokemon that are on the viability rankings, if you think a pokemon holds legitimate merit, write a post there! - ava

I wish to revamp most of Lanturn's analyses. Mainly the spread of the bulky pivot one, as its spread is for some long time unvibale options such as rhydon and basculin. I think at the very least that the analyses and dmg calc spread should match.

I'm plenty familiar with the current meta and relevant pokemon to write an updated version, were I might fall short is my lack of c&c experience. This would be my very first Contribution, I've of course read all relevant threads for beginner's for c&c.

I'm unsure if this is somthing that can even be requsted, I saw/missed no info about it on aforementioned threads.

yeah you can write it, be sure to grab the analysis template and use the on site moveset for pivot (av kinda unviable now). feel free to join the PU discord if you need any advice while in wip -ava

Hello, first time here. Just wanted to give a moveset for Electivire. It would be:
-Cross Chop
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Puch

Nature: Jolly
Items: Air Ballon/ Assault Vault
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd

It's just an idea. Plus, in OU, it can survive to a Landorus-T's Earthquake and OHKO after, even with the Intimidate

hey, we're only writing on pokemon ranked in the pu viability rankings, if you think it's worthy of an analysis try getting it ranked there (keep in mind OU calcs are not relevant to the PU metagame, and you'll need to point out why one shouldnt just use a different pokemon like galvantula, togedemaru etc instead and so on) -ava

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)