Excadrill@Choice band
Trait:Sand Rush
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk)
-Rapid Spin
-Shadow Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

It's probably the only rapid spinner that could act as a bait for ghost types and nail them with Shadow Claw. The other moves are self-explanatory. Rapid spin to clear hazards, Rock Slide for accuracy of Stone Edge for power, but most of the time, with the boost from Choice Band, Rock Slide will suffice and Earthquake for STAB. This can also counter Zekrom really well as it has no way of OHKO or probably Two hit KO'ing you. I usually use this on a rain team, but it could work on a sandstorm team, but you would probably be running Swords Dance, but Band Excadrill serves as a good counter against most Sandstorm teams

Excadrill@Choice band
Trait:Sand Rush
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk)
-Rapid Spin
-Shadow Claw
-Rock Slide/ Stone Edge
-Earthquake

It's probably the only rapid spinner that could act as a bait for ghost types and nail them with Shadow Claw. The other moves are self-explanatory. Rapid spin to clear hazards, Rock Slide for accuracy of Stone Edge for power, but most of the time, with the boost from Choice Band, Rock Slide will suffice and Earthquake for STAB. This can also counter Zekrom really well as it has no way of OHKO or probably Two hit KO'ing you. I usually use this on a rain team, but it could work on a sandstorm team, but you would probably be running Swords Dance, but Band Excadrill serves as a good counter against most Sandstorm teams
There are some things that are wrong with this set. Excadrill does not get stone edge. If this is used on a rain team, Choice band Zekrom outspeeds and 2HKOs so this is not a counter. What does this do anyway? Giratina takes next to nothing and giratina-o can avoid earthquake. Giratina-o will normally not switch in in fear of a +2 life orb Shadow Claw. With this set, you also are unable to switch moves or set up which is what makes Excadrill so good. This has no way of getting past giratina. How does it counter sandstorm teams when they often carry Giratina, Ho-oh and Arceus Grass? The item is quite obvious as well seeing as the common excadrill holds life orb, leftovers or air balloon. Dont post sets without testing first.

If this is used on a rain team, Choice band Zekrom outspeeds and 2HKOs so this is not a counter. What does this do anyway? Giratina takes next to nothing
Specially Defensive Giratina which is the most common set on sand teams takes 47.1% - 55.5% from CB Earthquake. Does not look like a small hit to me. Even physically Defensive Giratina takes 35.2% - 41.4%. If you have Spikes and Stealth Rock support, you might 2HKO it. Also, Excadrill should run at least 217 Speed, underspeeding Giratina is dumb.

Excadrill does not counter Zekrom but it checks it. CB Earthquake OHKOes Max HP Zekrom easily. Obviously, Excadrill should use more Speed.

Don't get me wrong, SD Excadrill is still superior to CB in almost every case.

There are some things that are wrong with this set. Excadrill does not get stone edge. If this is used on a rain team, Choice band Zekrom outspeeds and 2HKOs so this is not a counter. What does this do anyway? Giratina takes next to nothing and giratina-o can avoid earthquake. Giratina-o will normally not switch in in fear of a +2 life orb Shadow Claw. With this set, you also are unable to switch moves or set up which is what makes Excadrill so good. This has no way of getting past giratina. How does it counter sandstorm teams when they often carry Giratina, Ho-oh and Arceus Grass? The item is quite obvious as well seeing as the common excadrill holds life orb, leftovers or air balloon. Dont post sets without testing first.
About Stone Edge, that was my fault, I run it with Rock Slide so I didn't notice that it didn't have Stone Edge. Since it is used on a rain team, that means that there is Kyogre, which will draw in Zekrom's Bolt Strike, which will give you a chance to switch in.

To be honest, this is probably still inferior to SD Excadrill and that it probably can't take care of sandstorm teams' notable walls or faster sweepers, but it can get rid of Tyranitar. I suppose that the reason that I use it is like using SD Scizor over CB Scizor. While you still have trouble with the same Pokemon, you do have the upper hand with the surprise factor. But like you said, it's item will be quite obvious after the first hit, but that doesn't mean it's dead weight.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin

One of the best Groudon checks in the game. If you lead with Claydol against a Groudon on turn 1, you prevent Stealth Rocks and might get off a Toxic or SR of your own if Groudon switches out or chooses to Roar or Dragon Tail you. Claydol can even check the SD set as it is immune to Earthquake and resists Stone Edge, albeit, it won't be hitting Groudon back hard, but with Toxic or Earth Power spam + LO recoil Groudon wears down fast.

Toxic is to hit spinblockers or common switch-ins like Kyogre on switches, Earth Power prevents Zekrom from setting up on you. Now that I think of it, you could probably get away with using Ice Beam or Earthquake too.

This isn't a set I'd use competitively or completely seriously, but it does have some viability.

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

This is one of my friend's sets. It's pretty cool, since you can sub up on common stall mons like Chansey, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel without Ice Beam, Forretress without Payback, and spam Dragon Tail to rack up hazard damage. If you manage to get 3 layers of spikes up, and SR, this set wrecks havoc. Sub also prevents Pain Split from Forry and helps you win the hazard war. It's ev'd to outspeed Tentacruel to avoid scald burns, and give it some bulk too.

EDIT: might add more sets when i get a chance

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Kyogre @ Mystic Water
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 244 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump / Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

You guys may want to snipe me down right now, but look at what I have to say! The key point in this set is to lure in Chansey and Blissey (and even Ho-Oh thinking you're locked to Ice Beam) and 2HKO them easily with Waterfall. In rain, Kyogre has 91.02% to 2HKO 4/252 Chansey with Waterfall, and it's guaranteed with Stealth Rock! By that you can let other special sweepers, like Palkia, Darkrai, or Shaymin-S to have an easier them against the opponent. Surf or Hydro Pump serve as special STAB, when you don't want to discover Waterfall. But of course that not many people use Chansey as their Kyogre counter, so that's what Thunder Wave is here for. You get to paralyze threats such as Mewtwo and Palkia, that think you will switch as they don't know that you run Water Gem (unless already used), and simply cripple them down. Thunder and Ice Beam are mainly coverage moves, and can trick the opponent to think it's just your regular Choiced Kyogre. The EVs achieve the 2HKO on Chansey as explained with Waterfall, maximize Special Attack, and outspeed neutral base 90's by a few points. I didn't playtest this yet, but damn this looks fun.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Kyogre @ Water Gem
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 244 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

You guys may want to snipe me down right now, but look at what I have to say! The key point in this set is to lure in Chansey and Blissey (and even Ho-Oh thinking you're locked to Ice Beam) and 2HKO them easily with Waterfall. Rain must be up though as Water Gem-boosted Waterfall does 60% minimum and Waterfall does 40% minimum, again, in rain. By that you can let other special sweepers, like Palkia, Darkrai, or Shaymin-S to have an easier them against the opponent. Of course that not many people use Chansey as their Kyogre counter, so that's what Thunder Wave is here for. You get to paralyze threats such as Mewtwo and Palkia, that think you will switch as they don't know that you run Water Gem (unless already used), and simply cripple them down. Thunder and Ice Beam are mainly coverage moves, and can trick the opponent to think it's just your regular Choiced Kyogre. The EVs achieve the 2HKO on Chansey as explained with Waterfall, maximize Special Attack, and outspeed neutral base 90's by a few points. I didn't playtest this yet, but damn this looks fun.
Water Gem is meh, in my opinion. It's only a one use item. You're probably better off using Mystic Water or Life Orb as your item, so that's not a one-off event. With either of these, you still get a 2HKO on Chansey after Stealth Rock (Mystic Water has like 75% chance). Also, I would also prefer to use Surf or Water Spout over Thunder Wave. Not running special Water STABs suck for Kyogre, lol.

Theorymon had a set for this in GenIV at some point, it gets really mixed results. I believe the move set was:
Kyogre@Mystic Water/Sea Incense/Splash Plate
244 Atk/252SpAtk/12 Spe
Mild
Surf
Waterfall
Thunder Wave
Ice Beam/Thunder

It worked last gen because Surf+Waterfall actually KO'd Blissey after SR and Thunder Wave dealt with Latias/Palkia letting your special attacking dragon of choice sweep, but Chansey isn't KO'd after SR by Surf+Waterfall. It doesn't work that well this gen especially because once you do one attack, its obvious you don't have choice specs, Ferrothorn waltzes in and you aren't beating Ferro with this set.

Didn't Locopoke or someone use a set with CBOgre at one point? Physical Kyogre moves are viable, probably less than they used to be because nobody really uses Blissey anymore.

And yeah, you should just use Splash Plate.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, Mystic Water is probably better. I didn't run a special STAB because I wanted to preserve the Gem boost. Will edit my post right now~

Sub three attack Palkia

Palkia @ leftovers
Pressure
4 hp 252 sp atk 252 spd
Timid
Dragon Pulse/Spacial Rend
Fire Blast
Thunder
Substitute

With the constant presence of Kyorge, Palkia is constantly being used, mostly as a scarfer. But I decided to swap my choice scarf for substitute and leftovers, and i feel this set is superior. Take this scenario; your opponent has a Kyorge at full health, just waiting to destroy your team with a water spout. You switch in your Palkia, and easily take it . Now, your opponent will most likely want to switch, and instead of predicting what's coming, just send out a sub and be on your way. Since Palkia can 2HKO alot of the metagame, I've found this set to be very effective.

I have been using both the Calm Mind Giratina and the Choice Scarf Gengar on a team that has lead to me to success and happiness. So I gotta give a shoutout to NeroZero and Shrang for their sets, and Poppy because I've been using his suggestion of Destiny Bond to great results. Recently, I have been looking for a lead that could reliablly take on all the leads (Kyogre, Deoxys-S, Groudon, Dialga, and Tyranitar) and get SR while keeping theirs off and presenting them from spinning mine away. I saw some crazy guy using Virizion, and while his stabs are great for common leads, Virizion just doesn't have the power to break through Dialga or Groudon even with a choice band. Adamant BandVirizion can only get the 2HKO on Groudon with Leaf Blade. However, I was able to come up with a Smeargle set that works very well as a Vitruvian man of sorts, functioning especially nicely due to the fact that everyone expects him to be a SmashPasser.

Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Magic Coat
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

A first turn Magic Coat against Deoxys-S will swing momentum in your favor as the majority of them will taunt. Against the more threatening leads like Kyogre or Groudon or Dialga, spore first turn is a better choice so that you can avoid death via focus sash. Tyranitar is a trickier beast, considering he has sandstorm to break sash, lum to avoid sleep, and strong offense, so it's probably a better idea to just lead with something else. Lucky Sleep Talk selections can phaze you out early, and when you play against Darkrai's you have to be on that next level shit. Rapid spin works very well later game if they bring out a Skarmory and want to spike up. If they bring in Giratina, just spore him. What is so great about this set is at the very least you have put one mon to sleep if they make it their top priority to kill you. I have not yet had a match where I was dissatisfied with this little guy's performance.

This guy is a beast with Technician...even in Uber!
I am aware that Breloom is rejected in 4 Gen, but that was when he didn't have Technician..

Breloom@ Life Orb
ev 252Atk/252Spd/4def
Ability:Technician
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed
-Stone Edge/Low Sweep/Leech Seed/ Focus Punch

Spore is dangerous as ever, basically always takes one mon out of commission. With base 130 Atk and priority, Mach Punch keep so many threats in check, including but not limited to: Dialga, Darkari, the new Kyurem forms, Rock and Steel Arceus, and more. Bullet Seed is incredibly powerful, only slight weaker than Seed Bomb at worst, and it can be stronger than Focus Punch if it hits five times; it may get resisted by many dragons in the tier, but it hits all weather changers super effectively bar Abomasnow. In the last slot, Stone Edge is useful to hit flying type that thinks they can switch into your stab moves, Low Sweep (and force palm) gives you a strong and reliable fighting stab, Leech Seed is useful to hit opponent switch-ins when a Chansey/Ferrothorn switch out or when you just Spore sth, and at last, Focus Punch is incredibly powerful and can be fired off safely when you put Sth to sleep. Giratina, Lugia, and a lot of faster pokemon can counter/check Breloom, but Spore makes it more dangerous than it may seems. The only downside is Breloom's Crappy defense and Speed.

A bit of a twist of a basic arceus set that has proven successful to me in the rain:

Arceus@ Zap Plate
Ability: Multitype
Nature: Timid
EV: 4 HP/252SAtk/252Spe
Moves:
Calm Mind
Substitute
Judgement
Surf
This set uses the not as popular as the SD Espeed set, the CM sub set. In the rain surf gets STAB without it having to be a water type. I go with Judgement over thunder on this reason: even though it is a tad weaker, it will never miss as well. As in if something comes in that changes the weather, like Groudon, TTar, even Abomasnow, it will still conenct. I know that having an electric type arceus challenge a groudon is stupid and pointless, but this is after groudon has fainted. Ive versed a team that had a poke with sunny day to mess with my rain team even after groudon had fainted. Yes i know that i lose the chance of paralysis which can alter the flow of battle, but its the 30% chance im willing to take. It has helped me out against rayquaza's airlock. Granted i got a lucky crit that helped, but i was able take it out with out worrying of the accuracy lost. This has been pretty wordy, but hopefully i have gotten my point across. The sub/CM electric type arceus in rain can be lethal.

A bit of a twist of a basic arceus set that has proven successful to me in the rain:

Arceus@ Zap Plate
Nature: Timid
EV: 4 HP/252SAtk/252Spe
Moves:
Calm Mind
Substitute
Judgement
Surf
This set uses the not as popular as the SD Espeed set, the CM sub set. In the rain surf gets STAB without it having to be a water type. I go with Judgement over thunder on this reason: even though it is a tad weaker, it will never miss as well. As in if something comes in that changes the weather, like Groudon, TTar, even Abomasnow, it will still conenct. I know that having an electric type arceus challenge a groudon is stupid and pointless, but this is after groudon has fainted. Ive versed a team that had a poke with sunny day to mess with my rain team even after groudon had fainted. Yes i know that i lose the chance of paralysis which can alter the flow of battle, but its the 30% chance im willing to take. It has helped me out against rayquaza's airlock. Granted i got a lucky crit that helped, but i was able take it out with out worrying of the accuracy lost. This has been pretty wordy, but hopefully i have gotten my point across. The sub/CM electric type arceus in rain can be lethal.
Just want to point out that you should use thunderbolt>Judgement, only 5 base power weaker but with a 10% chance to paralyze, it is generally the superior option.

rapid spin cloyster

Cloyster (F) @ White Herb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 188 HP / 124 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Rapid Spin

Can break through common spin blockers such as sp def gira-a and gira-o easily. Can tank some strong phyiscal attacks and either strike back with with one of its attacks or get a spin off. Very underrated spinner for sun teams.

Accelgor (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)/ Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice/Rock
- Me First

A very underated threat If you ask me, I'm surprised no has posted this yet. Accelgor's Bug typing is a great offensive typing and it's fantastic speed let's it slam many ubers effectively. It outspeeds, and pummels Mewtwo, Darkrai, and many of the psychic types for super effective damage. Focus blast is for those steel types, like Dialga, but keep in mind its only has a 100 base SpA. HP Ice destroys the X4 weak, rayquaza, garchomp, etc. Hp rock is for Ho-oh, who pretty takes nothing from your other moves. Me first is what really sets Accelgor, since it outspeeds almost everything, its a good move, Dming dragons before them and with slighlty power (with out STAB). Accelgor is prone to priorty, Extremespeed causes a lot of problems. Hydration is cool, being immune to status in Rain. Timid is probably better than Modest since you outspeed mewtwo, and the base 130s. I have also tryed Sub/Bug Buzz/Focus Blast/Hidden Ice or Me first with a Petaya berry, and that worked almost as well because it needs all the power it can get

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arceus-Dragon @ Draco Plate
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Recover

Something that I used which was relatively specific to my team, but can be quite useful in general. I needed something to check Latias and Kyogre at once, as well as luring in Ferrothorn and setting up on it. Substitute blocks Leech Seed and status, and lets you set up on a lot of things in general. The only gripe I have about this set is how damn weak it is. I saw a Deoxys-N take only 70% from Dragon Claw, which is fucking ridiculous. Anyways, the Attack EVs let you OHKO 52/0 Latias after SR, max Speed is self-explanatory and the rest go into bulk.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bird is the word

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful nature
~Encore
~Leech Seed
~Sleep Powder
~Substitute

Jumpluff is a huge threat if played correctly in Sun- and it works well with many Sun sweepers such as Ho-Oh, because of it's ability to encore SD Rockceus and Leech Seed stall it to death. Encore is truly a very effective move in Ubers; it puts a stop to many set up sweepers and stallmons. Leech Seed is a great tool, allowing you to suck off of the massive HP's of pokemon like Giratina and Arceus. Grass type pokemon are uncommon in Ubers, so there aren't many pokemon capable of taking a Leech Seed without suffering the consequences. Substitute blocks status, and allows you to stall even more. Sleep Powder is another useful weapon, shutting one opponent down so you can set up. Beware Kyogre, and random MB Ghostceus's.

Just pointing out that you shouldn't invest in Jumpluff's HP. Instead, you should put them in its defenses. This way you make better use of substitute + leech seed.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Outrage
-Earthquake / Fire Blast

Dragon Dance Rayquaza is extremely threatening, but with all the Choice Scarf Genesect and Choice Scarf Palkia running rampant its extremely hard to use effectively. This Rayquaza attempts to bait out these Choice Scarf Pokemon and setup a Substitute so that it can OHKO them the turn after, meaning it will be able to spam Outrage some more or start an uninterrupted sweep. Substitute has other hilarious merits as well. It allows it to beat Chansey lacking Seismic Toss, successfully troll Bisharp, and perhaps the best use of all, allow it to beat Wobbufett and Mamoswine as it CAN stomach 1 Counter and Ice Shard thanks to Substitute and proceed to 2HKO Wobba and OHKO Bisharp. It does have a bit more trouble deciding whether it hates Skarmory or Heatran more but its not that bad, especially considering how (un)common the two are.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Thunder Wave / Substitute
-Dragon Claw
-V-Create / Earthquake

The same goal as Substitute Dragon Dance Rayquaza is seen in this "twisted" version of Swords Dance Rayquaza. Lure out Palkia and Genesect, and Thunder Wave the switch-in or just throw up a Substitute in front of it, then OHKO either with Earthquake, V-Create, or Dragon Claw. Both moves support V-Create but its slashed with Earthquake anyway in case you have issues with Heatran on your team. The loss of ExtremeSpeed is somewhat compensated for since your revenge-killing issues are assuaged.

Also yes I'm lazy I like to use the same sprites :P. I also do think Steeldragon tried something like this earlier but I can't confirm if he did or not :(.

Nice sets! I think that the fire move will always be a better option to hit the common Forretress and Ferrothorn as well as Skarm.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus

Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 74 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
-Spikes
-ExtremeSpeed / Stealth Rock / Ice Beam / Shadow Ball
-Psycho Boost
-Hidden Power Fire / Superpower

Deoxys-A may not be what you picture as a standard suicide lead for setting up hazards, but it is arguably the only one that can stand and beat all the spinners in the game. Deoxys-A's enormous offensive presence will pretty much force a lot of switches, which is extremely helpful for getting up that extra layer of Spikes. Combine this with the ability to destroy any enemy Magic Bouncers (should they be brave enough to come in anyway) and you've basically guaranteed yourself at least 2 layers of hazards AND a weakened enemy (or just whack something with Psycho Boost)!

Fast phasing Lugia (you heard it here first)

Lugia @ leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
Evs: 96 HP / 80 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Rest
-Dragon Tail
-Roar
-Sleep Talk

I call this set Fast Phasing. The idea is to take a hit and then phase the opponent out. After that you rest Lugia to heal off the damage and use sleep talk for the two turns of sleep. Using sleep talk allows you to bypass the -6 priority that dragon tail and roar both have, so Lugia takes no damage for the two turns that it has to phase. Obviously having stealth rock and spikes up is important, so if they have a spinner take it out before attempting this. The ev set is meant to increase speed and defenses as much as possible, though rest-multiscale will protect you better than anything else. naturally this has no finishing power, so use it in the middle of the battle. (Works great with extreme killer arceus
The weaknesses of this set are, faster pokemon, priority, and taunt. Faster pokemon, (like Mewtwo, Darkrai, or Arceus) can be a problem but you can generally phase them out without too much trouble. Also most scarfed ubers outspeed Lugia, but if multiscale is up it can take most hits, most notably a boltstrike from Zekrom. Priority can be an even larger problem because it defeats the speed phasing idea and breaks multiscale, leaving Lugia exposed (well sort of, it still has its absurd defensive stats). Taunt stops this set dead in its tracks, so watch out for Thundurus and Deoxys s and a, though you can always switch out. Also regenerator generally prevents this set form working effectively, though only for the pokemon with that ability.
So give it a shot, it's pretty easy to fit on any team with a poke that sets up hazards, and it generally frustrates people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)