Project Project Monotype POTW #18 maroon

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Approved by the Monotype Moderator Team
Taken over from Cam

Credits to SEO for the banner

During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.

This week I am interviewing someone whos been a long time community member. He's recently joined the Monotype Staff and the Monotype QC team and is currently managing in Monotype Winter Premier!

maroon (iExca)

Tell us a little about your life outside of Smogon.
- I have pretty much lived in California for all of my life and am enrolled in Community College in California. I have really bounced between a ton of different majors, from originally entering undecided, then going to Psychology, then going to undecided again, finally landing again in you guessed it, Psychology. Outside of school I enjoy hanging out with friends, listening to music, watching movies, going to the beach, and hiking.

What are you most known for in the Smogon Community?
- Probably for having been a tryhard in the Monotype community for quite a while, now though probably being really involved in different parts of the forum such as being on the QC team and more recently managing a team in MWP, i guess.

What inspired you to play Pokemon competitively?
- Honestly, kinda vague. But probably in High School, when I first found out about PS it was from a few friends playing Random Battles. I really liked it and played more eventually trying out Monotype, and then getting into leagues such as HM and Phoenix were I started playing competitively.

What’s your favorite Pokémon personally and competitively?
- Personally probably my favorite Pokemon is the Infernape line. Mostly because when I first started playing Pokemon was around the time of Pokemon Diamond, I used it from start to end without catching any other Pokemon aside Dialga. Kinda nostalgia, I guess. Competitively probably Victini and Excadrill, because of their ability to act as fantastic wallbreakers and probably some of my more used Pokemon.

What’s your favorite type personally and competitively?
- My favorite type personally is probably Ground because I played that the most when I first started Monotype, as for competitively my favorite type is probably Psychic, because its has lots of choices and has been a consistent type for a while.

Who are some of the people you’ve looked up to during your time on Pokémon Showdown and in the Monotype community?
-I guess like Lycan and Eien as they both are consistent and fantastic monotype players and are always interesting to watch battle.

What are your thoughts on SM Monotype compared to ORAS Monotype?
- I think both metagames are fairly balanced now, especially after the recent bans in ORAS. In ORAS alot more types such as Poison, Electric and others were unviable, however in USM Monotype only very few types can't be used successfully as compared to ORAS. Which is cool and I'd say USM Monotype is overall more Balanced than ORAS Monotype, but ORAS is better lol.

With Monotype Winter Premier taking place, what are your thoughts on Monotype OMs in general? Favorite Monotyle OM? Least favorite?
- MWP is an interesting tour, yeah let me put it that way. Seeing as most of these metagames that aren't played any other time of the year, makes them sort of whack. Like many OMs have seen lots of usage in a few types at best, but not much usage in the others, perhaps this is because they are undeveloped or whatever but it can get kind of boring. You can kind of see this like in Monotype Ubers Week 1 where Water was brought 5/8 games.

What do u think of the managing experience so far seeing as this is your first time managing in a team tournament?
- I think managing has been a fun experience so far. Everything from creating a draft plan to prepping each week has been fun in their own ways. Think our team environment is good, everybody seems to get along and are good about preparing each week, which is what I think has allowed us to do well so far in the tour, as well as it having been a good experience as a manager.

Do you have any advice for newer players that are trying to improve?
- Feel like this is over said, but it really just takes practice and understanding how each different Pokemon works in the metagame. Watching replays from top level players and playing lots of games are honestly the best way to improve. Also take advantage of all of Monotype's resources, such as the Viability Rankings, Sample Teams, Smogon Pokedex, etc. they are literally there to help newer players improve and get a grasp on the metagame.

With MWP season being here, are there any newer faces that you think would be worth keeping an eye on?
Think particularly, Sedertz is a very good and underrated player in Monotype OMs such as AAA and STABmons as well as Nexecutioner, who has been picking it up in MWP and other Monothreat tours. Outside of the tour, Metariolu shows interest in lots of different Monotype metagames ranging from current to old gens and some of the oms. Metariolu should be interesting to see grow as a player.

Can you showcase a team that represents your style as a player and how to use it?
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Memento

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 60 SpA / 48 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Recover

-this team is a bulky offense psychic team that i have been using lately, with many ideas being from USM Monotype. Such as using Colbur Celebi to check Mega Sharpedo and to use Reuniclus as a dual setup sweeper. The idea initially was to build a team around Calm Mind + Acid Armor Reuniclus, a set in USM OU for ORAS Monotype. Which coincidentally is how I build a few of my ORAS teams. So since Reuniclus can't touch Dark-type Pokemon the mega Pokemon I decided to go with was Mega Gardevoir as it can beat all Dark-types, even ones Mega Gallade can't such as Mandibuzz while also providing a Dragon immunity. The Gardevoir also allows Reuniclus to setup easier by being able to cripple Physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp allowing it to clean late-game with more ease. The team needed a strong physical wallbreaker and that is where Band Victini came in, and Scarf Latios was the form of speed control and emergency defogger. The team overall is meant to get Reuniclus to be able to clean late-game and has a great matchup against fatter teams thanks to Taunt Mega Gardevoir and Choice Band Victini. This is probably my favorite team to use for ORAS Monotype right now.

Any last words you want to leave us with?
- Looking forward to the rest of the MWP Tour, should be fun to see how all teams do! LGI NATUS!
Free Chras vs. Charmflash salty suite cause drama is :umusmug:

This concludes my interview with iExca! A huge thanks to him for his time for the interview! If anyone has questions for him feel free to ask him!

What’s your favorite Pokémon personally and competitively?
- Personally probably my favorite Pokemon is the Infernape line. Mostly because when I first started playing Pokemon was around the time of Pokemon Diamond, I used it from start to end without catching any other Pokemon aside Dialga. Kinda nostalgia, I guess. Competitively probably Victini and Excadrill, because of their ability to act as fantastic wallbreakers and probably some of my more used Pokemon.
When your names were Garchomp and Exca, why was one of them the last mon you thought of here and the other isn't even mentioned feelscri

Hello Moron, If you had to hang with one of these people irl for a day who would you pick?
KevinElf, Prosaic, Roman, Soma, or Waszap

Better Player and Better Person between Ericsayshi and DaysforDabs?

Worst person on this site other than me?

Top 3 Eden songs?

Why didn't you draft yourself for mwp?

Grats on potw, hope you get 8-0d this week!

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hello Moron, If you had to hang with one of these people irl for a day who would you pick?
KevinElf, Prosaic, Roman, Soma, or Waszap

Better Player and Better Person between Ericsayshi and DaysforDabs?

Worst person on this site other than me?

Top 3 Eden songs?

Why didn't you draft yourself for mwp?

Grats on potw, hope you get 8-0d this week!
1) would never spend a day with any ps person.
2) days for dabs is a better person and player. days for dabs started a ladder trend. what has eric done. LOL!
3) charmflash
4) wake up, crash & drugs
5) id rather just manage, since i dont have any experience with that and wanted to focus on it

also lol, just like kingdra's ya fools are gonna blow the 2-0 lead!

Last edited:
From what you can easily recall, what’s been the most exciting Monotype battle you’ve spectated within the last few years or so? Who was battling, was excitement in the air, etc.

• Hi here are some questions i have always wanted to ask you, please answer them all with thought:
    • What is more difficult for you, looking into someones eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someones eyes when they are telling you how they feel
    • Think of the last time you were REALLY angry. WHY were you angry? Do you still feel the same way?
    • You are on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago non-stop. There is a fire in the back of the plane. You have enough time to make ONE phone call. Who do you call? What do you tell them?
    • You are at the doctor's office and he has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? What do you do with your remaining days? Would you be afraid?
    • You can have one of the following two things. Which do you choose? Why? Love and Trust.
    • You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late even once more, you are fired. Do you take the time to save the dogs life? Why or Why not?
    • Would you rather be hurt by the one you trust the most or the one you love the most?
    • If you could make a 30 second speech to the entire world, what would you say?
    • If you were going to die at midnight, what would you be doing at 11:45pm?
    • How do you really KNOW anything for sure?
    • If you had all the money in the world but still had to have some kind of job, what would you choose to do?
    • When you’re 90 years old, what will matter most to you?
    • What do you regret most so far in life?
    • How can you apply the lesson you learned from that regret to your life TODAY?
    • What would you change if you were told with 100% certainty that God does not exist? Or if you don’t believe in God, that he does exist?
    • If you lost everything tomorrow, whose arms would you want to run into? Does that person know how much they mean to you?
    • How important are dank memes in today's society?
    • Do you fear death? If so, do you have a good reason?
    • What would you change if you knew you were NEVER going to die?
    • Your best friend confesses that he/she has feelings for you more than just friendship. He/she is falling in love with you. What do you (or did you) do/say?
    • Think of the last person who you know that died. You have the chance to give them 1 hour of life back, but you have to give up one year of yours. Do you do it? Why or Why not?
    • Are you the kind of friend that you would want to have as a friend?
    • Why does a 26 year old accountant who makes six figures resort to playing Pokémon?
    • Does love = sex?
    • Your boss tells your coworker that they have to let them go because of work shortage, and they are the newest employee. You have been there much longer. Your coworker has a family to support and no other means of income. Do you go to your boss and offer to leave the company? Why or Why not?
    • When was the last time you told someone HONESTLY how you felt regardless of how difficult it was for you to say? Who was it? What did you have to tell the person?
    • What would be (or what was) harder for you to tell a member of the opposite sex, you love them or that you do not love them back?
    • What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up? Why would it be hard to lose?
    • Excluding romantic love, when was the last time you told someone you loved them. Who were they to you?
    • If there was one moment and one time in the last month what would you change and why?
    • Imagine it is a dark night, you are alone, it is raining outside, you hear someone walking around outside your window. WHO do you wish was there with you?
    • Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying? Why or Why not?
    • You are holding onto your grandmother's hand and the hand of a newborn that you do not know as they hang over the edge of a cliff. You have to let one go to save the other. Who do you let fall to their death? What was your rationale for making the decision?
    • Are you old fashioned?
    • When was the last time you were nice to someone and did NOT expect anything in return for it?
    • Which would you choose, true love with a guarantee of a broken heart, or never loved at all? Why?
    • If you could do anything or wish anything, what would it be?

Thank you in advance

Grats on potw, here’s couple questions (since im still awake and bored)

- if you could change anything about mono what would it be. (Test/staff/Tiering policy/ect..)

-Thoughts on the next wave of players coming from the ladder like peachy clouds,days for dabs and ect.

-Whats an underrated pokemon/set in your opinion.

-What are your top 5 types for monotype.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
From what you can easily recall, what’s been the most exciting Monotype battle you’ve spectated within the last few years or so? Who was battling, was excitement in the air, etc.
can i answer tht after charmflash vs chras happens!

Hi here are some questions i have always wanted to ask you, please answer them all with thought:

1) What is more difficult for you, looking into someones eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someones eyes when they are telling you how they feel
2) Think of the last time you were REALLY angry. WHY were you angry? Do you still feel the same way?
3) You are on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago non-stop. There is a fire in the back of the plane. You have enough time to make ONE phone call. Who do you call? What do you tell them?
4) You are at the doctor's office and he has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? What do you do with your remaining days? Would you be afraid?
5) You can have one of the following two things. Which do you choose? Why? Love and Trust.
6) You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late even once more, you are fired. Do you take the time to save the dogs life? Why or Why not?
7) Would you rather be hurt by the one you trust the most or the one you love the most?
8) If you could make a 30 second speech to the entire world, what would you say?
9) If you were going to die at midnight, what would you be doing at 11:45pm?
10) How do you really KNOW anything for sure?
11) If you had all the money in the world but still had to have some kind of job, what would you choose to do?
12) When you’re 90 years old, what will matter most to you?
13) What do you regret most so far in life?
14) How can you apply the lesson you learned from that regret to your life TODAY?
15) What would you change if you were told with 100% certainty that God does not exist? Or if you don’t believe in God, that he does exist?
16) If you lost everything tomorrow, whose arms would you want to run into? Does that person know how much they mean to you?
17) How important are dank memes in today's society?
18) Do you fear death? If so, do you have a good reason?
19) What would you change if you knew you were NEVER going to die?
20) Your best friend confesses that he/she has feelings for you more than just friendship. He/she is falling in love with you. What do you (or did you) do/say?
21) Think of the last person who you know that died. You have the chance to give them 1 hour of life back, but you have to give up one year of yours. Do you do it? Why or Why not?
22) Are you the kind of friend that you would want to have as a friend?
23) Why does a 26 year old accountant who makes six figures resort to playing Pokémon?
24) Does love = sex?
25) Your boss tells your coworker that they have to let them go because of work shortage, and they are the newest employee. You have been there much longer. Your coworker has a family to support and no other means of income. Do you go to your boss and offer to leave the company? Why or Why not?
26) When was the last time you told someone HONESTLY how you felt regardless of how difficult it was for you to say? Who was it? What did you have to tell the person?
27) What would be (or what was) harder for you to tell a member of the opposite sex, you love them or that you do not love them back?
28) What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up? Why would it be hard to lose?
29) Excluding romantic love, when was the last time you told someone you loved them. Who were they to you?
30) If there was one moment and one time in the last month what would you change and why?
31) Imagine it is a dark night, you are alone, it is raining outside, you hear someone walking around outside your window. WHO do you wish was there with you?
32) Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying? Why or Why not?
33) You are holding onto your grandmother's hand and the hand of a newborn that you do not know as they hang over the edge of a cliff. You have to let one go to save the other. Who do you let fall to their death? What was your rationale for making the decision?
34) Are you old fashioned?
35) When was the last time you were nice to someone and did NOT expect anything in return for it?
36) Which would you choose, true love with a guarantee of a broken heart, or never loved at all? Why?
37) If you could do anything or wish anything, what would it be?

Thank you in advance
1) looking into someone's eye and telling them how I feel
2) last time I was angry was when somebody canceled plans in the last second. fucking rude
3) my mom
4) tell only people I care about so I can spend the last few days with them. I wouldn't be scared just more anxious because it would be terrible just waiting knowing ur gonna die soon
5) Love, you can trust those people
6) save the dog, i don't care abt timing lol. prolly bz my race cba by start times
7) trust, feel like it'd hurt more if you loved them
8) remember good christian children, if you dont sin jesus died for nothing! LMFAO
9) telling everyone I hate to f off or spending every last second w/ ppl i care abt
10) :matrix: :mindblown:
11) if i had all the money in the world the job i would choose to do is probably being a baker
12) doesn't matter if im 20 or 90, always family
13) learning about ps, biggest time waste!
14) lmao don't pick up new videogames or things that will hold you back from doing actual things with life
15) nothing would change if i knew god existed, id live by what i think is right
16) im only 19 so person i care abt the most in the world is my mom or brother & yes they know how much they mean!
17) dank memes are very important
18) I fear death because there is so many things that I want to do in life, like a simple one would be getting a dog. my parents never got me one :sadface:
19) damn no idea
20) say my friendship with them is too valuable to risk messing up
21) last person i know that died i didnt like, horrid member of my family. nah fuck them
22) yes
23) lmao torkool and eien puzzle me, ig they do them.
24) if u add an ing
25) no i dont think so, if they are the newest employee i wouldnt know them at least well enough to make tht sacrifice.
26) i asked my crush out, and it worked in my favor! :blush:
27) im gay, so neither ig
28) damn there are quite a few things i couldnt imagine living without, not really material more ppl
29) my mom & brother on christmas
30) nothing really went poorly for me this past month
31) anyone i would say i love you in tht moment
32) if the cpr involved mouth to mouth, no
33) hello i wouldnt be able to choose, id be paralyzed in tht moment. try to save both
34) lol no
35) when i brought soup and medicine to a friends house last month who caught a cold
36) true love with a guareentee of broken heart, though if its true love will it end in sadness. :monkaS:
37) everyone would have the same opportunities and people/laws didn't discriminate against any race or group of people

Grats on potw, here’s couple questions (since im still awake and bored)
- if you could change anything about mono what would it be. (Test/staff/Tiering policy/ect..)
-Thoughts on the next wave of players coming from the ladder like peachy clouds,days for dabs and ect.
-Whats an underrated pokemon/set in your opinion.
-What are your top 5 types for monotype.
1) honestly nothing
2) interesting
3) crawdaunt is fire and slept on, esp in rain
4) psychic, ground, steel, flying, fairy

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Hello there iExca, gratz in POTW! I have a few short questions that I would like to ask you:

1. Which metas do you see MetaRiolu7 making the most impact in?
2. Thoughts on Monotype Doubles
3. Stay ORAS or stay BW?
4. Thoughts on sand less grounds versatility?
5. How fat is the current leader of this project? Plz answer in kg btw.
6. Most underrated type?
7. Most overplayed type?
8. Ofc I have to ask how you think fighting is in the meta game.
9. Favorite holiday?
10. Thoughts on forum projects?
11. Main in smash bros?
12. Why isn’t Garchomp your favorite Pokémon?
13. Why is grass ass?
14. Rate me out of 10
15. What do you want to see more in USUM? This can be anything really but I actually want a serious answer.

Thank you and congrats!

maroon

free palestine
RMT & Mono Leader
Hello there iExca, gratz in POTW! I have a few short questions that I would like to ask you:

1. Which metas do you see MetaRiolu7 making the most impact in?
2. Thoughts on Monotype Doubles
3. Stay ORAS or stay BW?
4. Thoughts on sand less grounds versatility?
5. How fat is the current leader of this project? Plz answer in kg btw.
6. Most underrated type?
7. Most overplayed type?
8. Ofc I have to ask how you think fighting is in the meta game.
9. Favorite holiday?
10. Thoughts on forum projects?
11. Main in smash bros?
12. Why isn’t Garchomp your favorite Pokémon?
13. Why is grass ass?
14. Rate me out of 10
15. What do you want to see more in USUM? This can be anything really but I actually want a serious answer.

Thank you and congrats!
1) not necessarily a certain impact on just one, just an overall good player
2) lol mono ubers i sbetter somehow
3) STAY ORAS
4) cool, ground is underrated and should be explored more imo
5) decem asked me not to answer this question bz hes embarassed
6) ground
7) do u mean what is the most overrated type?
8) still trash, play ORAS its good there
9) halloween, if my birthday doesnt count
10) they can be decent depending on how they are run
11) have used like Ike in every game ive played of brawl
12) no idea :blobshrug:
13) its has its uses not tht bad
14) on days you complain -10/10, on days u act normal you're p chill
15) crawdaunt needs to be played more :o

Namranan

:)))))))))))
7) do u mean what is the most overrated type?
Yes, also I have more questions.

1. Do you actually play pokemon? If so, which game is you fav? (Can be a spinoff)
2. Favorite song rn
3. Thoughts on Hyper Offense in this metagame
4. Who do you think are the best players rn? Doesn't have to be in order.
5. Favorite food?
6. Thoughts on Clefable on fairy
7. Plz ignore decem and ansert my previous question about his size

maroon

free palestine
RMT & Mono Leader
Fave panic in the disco music video.
emperor's new clothes

Yes, also I have more questions.
1. Do you actually play pokemon? If so, which game is you fav? (Can be a spinoff)
2. Favorite song rn
3. Thoughts on Hyper Offense in this metagame
4. Who do you think are the best players rn? Doesn't have to be in order.
5. Favorite food?
6. Thoughts on Clefable on fairy
7. Plz ignore decem and ansert my previous question about his size
1) i use to play the cartridges, not really anymore though
2) imagine by ariana grande
3) still a fan, its good
4) theres so many great players, still probably like lycan, eien, paleo, & thorn.
5) zereshk polo w/ chicken kabob
6) its ok, prefer sr on diancie so you can have an extra slot
7) idk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)