Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
approved by The Immortal over PS

logo by Arhops

Now playable at http://50.47.31.69.psim.us

Hello people of smogon!
Welcome to ProjectDPP!

New to pet mods? Well here's a nice little link for ya!

Looking to play classic DPP without all the hassle of learning it from scratch AND finding matches?
Well then, welcome to Project DPP a fan mod based off of the source code of popular Pokemon Sim "Pokemon Showdown" modded and planned by independent developer Oiawesome with additional help from users such as Arhops and DreMZ from gaming website "Smogon".

Well what is Project DPP? And how can I play it?
Project DPP
is a modification to the Pokemon XY engine via Pokemon Showdown which sees XY as a flawed metagame that could be improved. Project DPP includes changes like: Modified stats, abilities and/or movepools for certain pokemon that help bring the feel of DPP back, revamped mechanics that merge playstyles from DPP/XY together, and even whole new moves and abilities in some cases! You can find the list of changes at the bottom of this post

Well that's cool. But seriously, how do I play it?
Project DPP
is still under development however, it is programmed 100% and ready to play for certain people who want to bug and beta test (contact me via private message if interested). However, I am not confident with a public release until we are sure all our ideas and thoughts, not 98/100, not 99/100 not 100/100. It won't take too long for our primary goal to be accomplished, but we just want you to know what is going on.

If you like what we're doing and want the awesome fanbase to grow, please share us with your friends using the links below:

Changelog
  • DPP bans/ubers without latias ban with XY/BW mons that got banned in XY banned
  • NO DW/HIDDEN ABILITIES (including crap like landorus sheer force)
  • Fairy types still here (just confirming it)
  • Ghost/Dark and Steel typechart change REVERSED
  • Only DPP or earlier items
  • XY/DPP Sleep mechanics (just confirming it)
  • TEAM PREVIEW IS ON
  • Electric types can be paralyzed
  • Spore and other powder moves affect grass types
  • Megas are kill (megas banned)

Individial Move and Ability Changes
  • Important: IF a move or ability got buffed or changed in any way then it KEEPS ITS DPPT EFFECT
  • BWXY abilities allowed
  • Knock Off: buff from 20 BP to 40 bp (still no XY boost tho :p)
New concept: Unleashed formes

Unleashed forms are forms for the old DPP top tier mons that buff and nerf certain aspects of old top tiers in order for them to become high-top tier again. Unleashed forms play differently and encourage different play style than their base form, so they are not always superior. These can be accessed by putting the stick item on the pokemon that has the form

Individual Mon Changes

Lucario
  • Stats: 100 Speed
Blaziken
  • Stats: 90 Speed
  • Abilities: Unburden (over blaze)
Scizor
  • Movepool: Pin Missle
Aegislash
  • Unbanned
Tyranitar
  • Abilities: Sand Stream / Strong Jaw
Genesect
  • Unbanned
  • Ability: Mega Launcher (over Download)
  • Movepool: Dragon Pulse, Water Pulse,
Electivire
  • Movepool: Fusion Bolt
Magmortar
  • Movepool: Fusion Flare
Forretress
  • Ability: Regenerator (over Sturdy)
  • Movepool: U-Turn, + Recover
Latias
  • Unbanned due to pre-latias ban rule
Azumarill
  • No longer gets belly drum
Gyarados
  • Movepool: + Slack Off
Gyarados-Unleashed
  • Type: Water / Dragon
  • Stats: 95/140/79/89/79/100
  • Abilities: Primordial Sea
Starmie
  • Movepool: + Volt Switch
Starmie-Unleashed
  • Type: Water / Electric
  • Ability: Lightningrod
  • Stats: 60/75/85/135/85/111
Jirachi
  • Type: Steel / Fairy

The Team
  • Pikachuun - soon to be co-programmer once I revise the github
  • Typhlito - RoA player
  • M Dragon - You said you liked the concept and would like to help after I contacted you over irc. If you gave up on this/forgot about this and would like to be removed, just PM me.

Tagging Jirachee because cool guy and tournament DPP player, so feedback from you would be appreciated! ^_^

I plan to tag more dpp people but I'm too lazy to get the SPL player list

Hope you guys enjoy this and play it once It's released. And yes, there might be more changes once this is up for public beta.

Last edited:
DPP has a huge soft spot in my heart so this is something I could totally get behind. Some things don't make sense to me, though.

How is this learning Pokemon from scratch without the huge learning curve? Seems like a weird tagline when there is more stuff to learn than normal DPP. You have to learn all gen 5 and 6 Pokemon, moves, and abilities.

What's the reasoning behind buffing some of the already good Gen 4 Pokemon? This is less of a concern, I don't specifically care about each change specifically, but what's the goal with the changes? Give players some fun new options? To adjust prominent Gen 4 Pokemon back into relevance so that the meta feels like Gen 4?

Do you think the difference between DPP and later gens is really an issue of systemic changes? And not the amount of new options? It seems a little back and forth with which ones you're reverting.

I don't mean to be antagonistic or anything, those are just the main questions that came to mind after reading the OP. Definitely might make some teams for this at some point, as long as I can see and like where it's going and all.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
DPP has a huge soft spot in my heart so this is something I could totally get behind. Some things don't make sense to me, though.

How is this learning Pokemon from scratch without the huge learning curve? Seems like a weird tagline when there is more stuff to learn than normal DPP. You have to learn all gen 5 and 6 Pokemon, moves, and abilities.

What's the reasoning behind buffing some of the already good Gen 4 Pokemon? This is less of a concern, I don't specifically care about each change specifically, but what's the goal with the changes? Give players some fun new options? To adjust prominent Gen 4 Pokemon back into relevance so that the meta feels like Gen 4?

Do you think the difference between DPP and later gens is really an issue of systemic changes? And not the amount of new options? It seems a little back and forth with which ones you're reverting.

I don't mean to be antagonistic or anything, those are just the main questions that came to mind after reading the OP. Definitely might make some teams for this at some point, as long as I can see and like where it's going and all.
Thank you for showing interest at least in this project. And don't worry, you're not being antagonistic at all man, I appreciate any constructive criticism or positive activity, and you deliver ^_^

Alright so I guess I owe you some answers:

Well, this is a metagame not only built for old gen players, but it's also built to get the new generation of player that are into XY and show interest in older gens, into older gens. So for someone already in to the competitive pokemon scene in general, this does seem like less of a learning curve imo. While I do plan on modifying the changelog more as time goes on to fit this ideal, I still believe it should be fairly easy to grasp for XY and DPP players alike. Which I really like the idea of, since people who play XY don't show much interest in older gens, while some old gen players don't show interest in new gens (for one reason or another).

The reasoning was to create a metagame where both the top Gen 4 and top Gen 6 mons mix at the top to create a mixture and a new metagame would be built around that. The goal with the changes is, well, what I just said. It is to both create a fair and balanced metagame that skill is more important than things like matchup that dpp's meta represents. While also removing some stale aspects and spicing up the meta from the standard gen 4 template.

The engine and systematic changes of later games are definitely a huge part about why DPP is so different BW, XY and even gens before it. The amount of new options is also some problem imo because some options just sway the risk reward ridiculously in their favor, compared to options in DPP

This is an interesting project. I like it!

One question that might sound a little biased: if there are no Hidden Abilities, then why is Greninja still banned while Aegislash, Blaziken and Genesect are unbanned? Torrent Greninja doesn't seem like too much of a problem even in DPP. :/

I wonder what impact Talonflame will make on the metagame. Talonflame's 3 most common Gen XY counters (Tyranitar, Heatran and Rotom-W) are S rank in the DPP viability rankings, but its priority may make boosting sets from Breloom and Infernape less desirable.

Zoroark seems very dangerous without team preview. This seems like one of the best metagames for it to be in.

EDIT: My reading and thinking skills need a bit of work.

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
This is an interesting project. I like it!

One question that might sound a little biased: if there are no Hidden Abilities, then why is Greninja still banned while Aegislash, Blaziken and Genesect are unbanned? Torrent Greninja doesn't seem like too much of a problem even in DPP. :/

I wonder what impact Talonflame will make on the metagame. Talonflame's 3 most common Gen XY counters (Tyranitar, Heatran and Rotom-W) are S rank in the DPP viability rankings, but its priority may make boosting sets from Breloom and Infernape less desirable.

Zoroark seems very dangerous without team preview. This seems like one of the best metagames for it to be in.
The greninja thing was an oversight.

Talonflame has no gale wings since it's a HA.

And there is team preview, check the second post

canno

formerly The Reptile
Me and Monte got the first ever battle. We recorded it old-school style to stay in spirit - pastebin style! also the server isn't registered yet ;_;

you can see read it here

Are the Rotom forms Electric/Ghost again?

Also, someone who definitely needs some love is Infernape -- the poor guy is C rank and UU by usage -- a far fall from being top tier and even Ubers viable. I'm thinking of something like this for its Unleashed form:

Infernape-Unleashed
  • Type: Fire / Fighting
  • Ability: Technician
  • Stats: 76/124/71/124/71/108
The stats can be tweaked to better account for lack of boosting item, but Technician is absurdly useful on 'Nape because a lot of its popular moves are already below 60 bp: Fake Out, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave and Hidden Power (if IVs are adjusted) will all be much more useful on it, giving it a Scizor-like niche in OU, only it can also use powerful 120 bp STAB moves in both the physical and special variety to back them up.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Are the Rotom forms Electric/Ghost again?

Also, someone who definitely needs some love is Infernape -- the poor guy is C rank and UU by usage -- a far fall from being top tier and even Ubers viable. I'm thinking of something like this for its Unleashed form:

Infernape-Unleashed
  • Type: Fire / Fighting
  • Ability: Technician
  • Stats: 76/124/71/124/71/108
The stats can be tweaked to better account for lack of boosting item, but Technician is absurdly useful on 'Nape because a lot of its popular moves are already below 60 bp: Fake Out, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave and Hidden Power (if IVs are adjusted) will all be much more useful on it, giving it a Scizor-like niche in OU, only it can also use powerful 120 bp STAB moves in both the physical and special variety to back them up.
Rotom forums are still what they ar, because I plan to unleash base Rotom

should you give the rotom forms more moves if so i want rotom-s to get hurricane rotom-f to get either ice beam or freeze dry and rotom-w to get scald

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
should you give the rotom forms more moves if so i want rotom-s to get hurricane rotom-f to get either ice beam or freeze dry and rotom-w to get scald
Those are some good ideas, I might add them in the next update actually. Although you might want to work on your spelling and grammar lol.

Also update- Gyarados-Unleashed has been added

Ok so I tried to talk about this with monte the other day on ps! but we didn't really get anywhere so here goes nothing. I do not understand why team preview is on, we're trying to emulate dpp in current mons and one of the main mechanics of dpp. No team preview also requires quite a bit more thinking wondering things like, "hm I wonder what his last mon is." This teaches you a lot about team building in general which I find is a great thing to learn.

Welp, I guess Exca+ perma sand is back ;_;

I love this idea to death, but I have a couple of things:

1. Latias is unbanned, but wobbuffet and salamence arent? I guess they are just casualties of the Pre-latias rule, but considering goth and Kyu-B are around now, it just seems kinda weird.

2. If the Unleashed forms are supposed to reintroduce former DP threats again, it's kind of a shame gyarados' kinda snatches Kingdra's uniqueness, considering he was also a top DP threat.

OK, Back to going nuts over how cool this idea is :]

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Welp, I guess Exca+ perma sand is back ;_;

I love this idea to death, but I have a couple of things:

1. Latias is unbanned, but wobbuffet and salamence arent? I guess they are just casualties of the Pre-latias rule, but considering goth and Kyu-B are around now, it just seems kinda weird.

2. If the Unleashed forms are supposed to reintroduce former DP threats again, it's kind of a shame gyarados' kinda snatches Kingdra's uniqueness, considering he was also a top DP threat.

OK, Back to going nuts over how cool this idea is :]
The first, I plan to unban those mons, it's just tedious, the next update will unban all broken mons and ban/nerf all the broke mons for sure, dw.

To the second, kingdra still has swift swim and it hits on the special side meaning it can beat certain threats gyara can not. And I believe thats super important. Gyara unleashed might get nerfed since I only gave it prema as filler until I realized how broken it was. Maybe limber or water veil.

Also
What's the point of calling it Project DPP when team preview is on .-.
Ok so I tried to talk about this with monte the other day on ps! but we didn't really get anywhere so here goes nothing. I do not understand why team preview is on, we're trying to emulate dpp in current mons and one of the main mechanics of dpp. No team preview also requires quite a bit more thinking wondering things like, "hm I wonder what his last mon is." This teaches you a lot about team building in general which I find is a great thing to learn.
I know you guys really are concerned. But this was just a by default thing for me since
  1. Team preview promotes building teams to be more solid, and gets rid of 2 very uneeded and filler things in dpp- while they made dpp more hype: scouting out mons and the lead metagame. I find the game to be more hype and skill based if we didn't introduce these aspects. Scouting mons is tedious and while it is tradition, bad tradition is never a good thing. The lead metagame I found cool, but at a certain point it became so conveluted that people were honestly using niche shit that had no worth on a practical team just to beat common leads, and they'd end up losing to common leads anyways.
  2. I might reconsider removing team preview in the next balance patch/update. But those are my thoughts for now, sorry to disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)