Predictions in usage

I want to use this thread for people to discuss trends in usage they notice from playing UU lately (As opposed to January stats) and what they predict to rise and fall in usage in general.

Mesprit

I predict Mesprit will rise in usage as more people are realizing it can take hits really well like Uxie but also be able to dish out damage at the same time. I have been seeing a lot more leads lately, and mesprit can do the SR/Twave/Uturn/Psychic thing just as good as uxie but can actually hurt things even with 252 HP/252 Def Bold. I'll post some calcs later.

Drapion

I Predict Drapion will rise in usage as it can do so much. CB is more effective than SD, It can be defensive in either Def or Spec Def, and it can phaze and pursuit.

Venusaur

I predict venusaur will remain at the top. It's just too insanely good. The SD set with sleep powder absolutely wrecks, and it's definitly no glass cannon with it's defenses and useful resistances. I think it's a good example of a shift towards more balances teams. Venusaur can sweep when the opportunity presents itself and support it's teammates with its typing and bulk.

Drapion

Yeah I reckon Drapion will also rise. It has so many roles that it can fit it can basically be put on any kind of team and get good results

Chansey

I believe Chansey usage will rise to counter Moltres. Not only that but it's a great utility pokemon and can shut down every Sp.Atter in the UU metagame

Moltres

I believe Moltres usage will rise. Even with it's massive SR weakness it still proves to be one of the most dangerous in the UU metagame. It also counters the most currently used pokemon Venasaur

Are we talking relative to January Usage Stats or what? That's really the only thing we have to compare it to, which was an entirely different metagame. Without concrete stats to compare with, the speculation is basically useless, or it just belongs in the metagame topic.

Personally I'm curious to see what happens to Ludicolo's moveset distribution. Adamant was something like 14% in January, that could very well triple in March.

Are we talking relative to January Usage Stats or what? That's really the only thing we have to compare it to, which was an entirely different metagame. Without concrete stats to compare with, the speculation is basically useless, or it just belongs in the metagame topic.

Personally I'm curious to see what happens to Ludicolo's moveset distribution. Adamant was something like 14% in January, that could very well triple in March.
Yes, January

Ampibomb

I predict ampibom usage will fall. Leads like Omastar, Kabutops, Armaldo, Frosslass, and Mesprit hit hard enough while it taunts and render fakeout fairly ineffective. He's too frail for much else besides revenging late game and there others who can do that on top of other roles. Priority on bulky and powerful guys like azumarill and hitmontop with intimidate don't help either.

Omastar
I predict omastar usage will rise as a lead and it's ability to stack spikes/stealthrock and beat donphan. It has 55 Basespeed vs his 50 and it's ballsy for donphan to switch into surf with his high spec attack and surf. He has a shit TON of defense too, thing doesn't die.

Blaziken
I personally think that Blaziken will fall in useage. This is because with Moltres and Arcanine being the dominant fire types and the rise in popularity of things that counter him such as rain dance and Dugtrio mean he can no longer do as good as he used to.

Sceptile
Sceptile is another Pokémon who I think will be falling as well, because of the fact that alot of the things he is good against can either be beaten better by another Pokémon or have now got ways to get around him.

Sceptile
Sceptile is another Pokémon who I think will be falling as well, because of the fact that alot of the things he is good against can either be beaten better by another Pokémon or have now got ways to get around him.
I agree, every single time I have had a sceptile switch in on me it is OHKO'd by my water type.

Twice by Focus Punches by Poliwrath and once by Azumarill CB return. The only niche it has is subseeding and venusaur just makes it irrelevant for most other things.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Umbreon: Umbreon will definitely rise. It has a shit ton of uses, especially on a stall team. Do you need heal bell to cure all your resting and eating status? You got it. It is so valuable on all my stall teams, since not only does it provide one of the best switch ins to moltres (besides milotic or chansey, which i don't run, but what i do is beside the point), raikou, mismagius, alakazam, and a boatload of other sweepers. It also poses an offensive threat, since it has 95/130 hp/sdef and curse, so you're likely going to not be able to break it, allowing it to get as many curses as it wants. Heal bell is really valuable with all those fucking venusaur running around and spamming sleep powder. so yea, ability to counter three of uu's biggest threats, offensive teams and stall cant break it, heals status. postscript timid life orb moltres scrapes out 40% against max max umbreon (THE ONLY ONE YOU SHOULD USE). And moonlight 8)

Umbreon: Umbreon will definitely rise. It has a shit ton of uses, especially on a stall team. Do you need heal bell to cure all your resting and eating status? You got it. It is so valuable on all my stall teams, since not only does it provide one of the best switch ins to moltres (besides milotic or chansey, which i don't run, but what i do is beside the point), raikou, mismagius, alakazam, and a boatload of other sweepers. It also poses an offensive threat, since it has 95/130 hp/sdef and curse, so you're likely going to not be able to break it, allowing it to get as many curses as it wants. Heal bell is really valuable with all those fucking venusaur running around and spamming sleep powder. so yea, ability to counter three of uu's biggest threats, offensive teams and stall cant break it, heals status. postscript timid life orb moltres scrapes out 40% against max max umbreon (THE ONLY ONE YOU SHOULD USE). And moonlight 8)
I definately agree. I've been using that set and it just does not die. I absolutely hated umbreon before I used it.

I also think Torterra will rise in usuage. It takes on shit like rp aggron and rhyperior that lack megahorn. It also makes a nice check against hp iceless raikou.

I've seen a lot of Slowking lately. Possibly because it can sort of take on Slowbro's duties while having the Special Defense to handle Moltres... otherwise I'm not really sure why. Coincidentally, I've been using Rapidash lately, who absolutely loves teams that use Slowking as their bulky water (Flare Blitz + Megahorn 2HKO's).

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bad Ass knows what the fuck is going on.

Umbreon is an absolute monsters. Curse is damn near impossible to kill if your opponent doesn't have STABed Fighting-type attacks or Bug attacks, and even then those Pokemon can be worn down. Heal Bell makes it impossible to status, and SynchroBell is pretty hilarious if you can bounce a Toxic or Burn back to its recipient and then heal it off. It's a support hero as well, with Wish AND Heal Bell, and Max HP / Max+ Special Defense Umbreon is hilariously effective at walling pretty much anything specially oriented, even Moltres (yeaaaaaaa)! And as Bad Ass said, if you are using anything other than max/max careful, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. It's incredibly useful on pretty much any kind of team, and if played right damn near impossible to kill.

[/hype]

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
....and I suppose it's mere coincidence that once you guys start talking about Umbreon, I see it on every other team on ladder and have to resort to critical hits just to beat it. >_>

Exactly. The most annoying thing about Umbreon is that a lot of teams that run it are stall teams that try to use it as a cleric/moltres counter/stall breaker all at once with moonlight/curse/payback/heal bell while most of these stall teams can't handle Umbreon themselves. So, it often becomes a stall war between Umbreon and Umbreon as neither side can do anything about it besides phazing and using Toxic 8 times.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yes most definetely. Umbreon is extremely beastly.

And as Bad Ass said, if you are using anything other than max/max careful, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. It's incredibly useful on pretty much any kind of team, and if played right damn near impossible to kill.
But I like 252 HP/200 Atk/56 SpD...

I have seen many people using cloyster and omnistar with the high chance of lass leaving. As a result people are finding how could these two spikers are in there own right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)