Other Features Potential New Mega Mons + Analysis of Announced Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

The title is very much a WIP, but I'm applying to take this idea over from its previous writer. I've changed it considerably, keeping only two Megas from this idea's first iteration.

EDIT: Will add segment suggested by Valentine. Have some irl work to handle atm, but changes should be implemented within the coming week.

Mega Evolution Pairs

1. Ludicolo and Shiftry

- How are they a pair?
-> Early-game counterparts: Ludicolo (Lotad) is exclusive to Sapphire while Shiftry (Seedot) is exclusive to Ruby
-> Both have abilities to boost Speed in their respective weathers (Shiftry-Chlorophyll; Ludicolo-Swift Swim)
- Why would they get a Mega Evolution?
-> Underwhelming, much like regular Mawile, Pinsir and others were; could use stat boosts
-> They would be the first Mega Evolutions who require an evolution stone to reach their final evolutionary stage (Nuzleaf + Leaf Stone-> Shiftry; Lombre + Water Stone -> Ludicolo)
- How would they be changed? (This part is WIP atm)
- > Shiftry would become bulkier, in addition to receiving boosts both to Attack and Special Attack to render it a more potent mixed attacker; it would retain Chlorophyll and as such, receive a minor boost to Speed at most
- > Ludicolo would receive a major boost to Special Attack, in addition to boosts to improve its bulk; would retain Swift Swim (in keeping with the idea that both are closely connected to Weather)

2. Zangoose and Seviper

- How are they a pair?
- > Duo with a long history of rivalry between them, as depicted in the games and show
- > Based on mongoose and snake, which are biological rivals
- > Respective newfound strength would escalate their rivalry
- > Poor stat distribution and low viability at this time
- How would they be changed?
- > Zangoose's main boosts would be to Attack and Speed; could receive a Normal / Fighting typing and get Adaptability (this would allow it to fire off extraordinarily strong Returns and Close Combats)
- > Seviper would take the opposite approach in becoming incredibly bulky; it could receive a Poison / Dark typing, which would give it only one weakness, and the ability Intimidate to help cut the physical power of opponents such as Zangoose. Whereas Zangoose would attack ferociously with its temper, Seviper would stay true to its serpentine origins and play strategically by dodging and wearing down its opponent with status moves and the like.

3. Sharpedo and Camerupt
- How are they a pair?
- > Game counterparts: Camerupt is exclusive to Ruby and Sharpedo is exclusive to Sapphire
- > Camerupt was used by Maxie in Ruby and Sharpedo was used by Archie in Sapphire
- > In trailer, appears that Maxie has a Mega item attached to his goggles whereas Archie has a Mega item attached to his chain; would be logical that they'd use Mega Evolutions of their aces in Ruby and Sapphire
- How would they be changed?
- > Mega Sharpedo would retain its typing and receive boosts to improve its Attack and bulk; either it receives no boost to Speed and keeps its ability Speed Boost, or its ability changes to something like Tough Claws, which would necessitate a strategic decision on when to Mega evolve Sharpedo
- > Mega Camerupt would also retain typing and receive improvements to both offenses and bulk; its ability could be Flash Fire, based on the fact that it thrives in volcanic areas, or Water Absorb, as its design is based on camels, who are able to store water

Stand-Alones

1. Mega Salamence

- Released alongside Metagross in generation 3 as a Pokemon with a BST of 600 (pseudo-legendary), it makes sense that since the former is receiving a Mega Evolution, so will Salamence (technically part of a pair, but won't be written up as such, as there's no point in theorymonning about Mega Metagross)
- Iconic Dragon that fell into obscurity; possible that it will be made to shine once again in OR/AS
- Boosts to both offenses and Speed (still working on typing/ability)
2. Mega Flygon
- Would base this off DeckKnight's idea, with a few minor alterations
- New character, Aarune (in charge of Secret Base-related things), has a Flygon: may very well be made a Mega to place emphasis on this character
3. Mega Milotic
- Would base this off DeckKnight's idea (would be glad to use Sephirona's gorgeous art)
- Could very well receive a Mega Evolution as a nod to Wallace, who was the eighth Gym Leader in Ruby and Sapphire, and the Champion in Emerald (Famed coordinator in anime; his role may be altered to emphasize this in OR/AS, in which case Mega Milotic would be an excellent asset)

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Part of me want to approve this because we've done it before, another part of me feels that there's no way to predict how GF will pick their mega mons, seeing as the only sure-fire ones have been starters thus far. I respect Deck's knowledge base, but his articles can get too fluffy. I do agree with how Camerupt and Sharpedo would be likely candidates for a megalution, though.

skylight Toast Flora Vacate , I'm throwing this one on you.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i really like the thought of having a new one, so i'm behind a new mega prediction article :) i agree with your ideas too even.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This would go off nicely off of the 3rd gen speculation article, which touched upon the 3rd gen mega evos very lightly (wasn't in-depth). I feel the candidates chosen are pretty solid as well. What about Solrock and Lunatone? Pairs and stuff as well and have those lackluster stuff going through them.

Thank you all for your input :) I could definitely look into doing Solrock and Lunatone, I just wasn't sure if I already had too many Mega ideas or not.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, I wouldn't pressure you in doing more. You do have 10, and if you feel that's good enough, that's fine. :)

Approved!

Valentine

Banned deucer.
new megas were recently announced, namely mega salamence, mega altaria, and mega lopunny, more information here.

this article idea is a little less relevant now that gamefreak is revealing what the megas are actually going to be. maybe you could alter the article to focus more on how these new megas will potentially fare in OU, or other tiers, and then speculate on what more potential megas may be.

I absolutely agree. I think Valentine's idea is solid- to do a viability analysis of sorts for the announced Mega mons and then toss in some of the ideas I listed here as a bonus kind of thing. What do you think?

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
An article discussing a combination of competitive value for Megas already revealed and speculation on what's yet to come would definitely be a fun read. You have my support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)