Post Your Scarlet & Violet In-Game Teams!

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Screenshot_20230403_160958_Chrome.jpg

i rotated a bunch of pokemon throughout most of my playthrough just to get a chance to use most of the new gen 9 mons but ended up with these six in the end. was incredibly fun using tinkaton, quaquaval, and ceruledge whose designs i all really like. pressing gigaton hammer on everything filled me with so much joy lol. the whole smoliv line was a necessary addition for me when smoliv's design first got shown, love that lil guy!

frosmoth and rotom ended up making the cut despite not being new gen 9 mons because i just found them really fun to use. being able to use the rotom catalog anywhere from my bag let me swap around its form whenever i felt like it. i'd also never used frosmoth before at all and ended up grabbing a snom early from a tera raid den and got its happiness up enough to evolve it around level 20. just really got attached to the fella and kept them around the whole way through! bug and ice stab was pretty good even if it had so many type weaknesses lol

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wish I had found this thread sooner lol.
This is my first and only team so far. I tried Clodsire and Grafaiai as well but ended up going with Ceruledge in the end. Dachsbun was the "weakest" on the team but still managed to pull its weight with Well-Baked Body and Charm + Rocky Helmet for physical attackers. Quaquaval, Garganacl, and surprinsigly enough, Lokix were the MVPs. Quaquaval is really strong and has amazing STABs, Garganacl can cheese SO MANY fights with Salt Cure + Recover and is just fat and strong as fuck, and Tinted Lens First Impression from Lokix was really strong and pretty monumental on taking down faster stuff.
Screenshot_7.png

If I play the game again, I'll probably use this team. I know I want to use Annihilape, Tinkaton, and Baxcalibur. Everything else is up in the air, though.
Screenshot_6.png

I was thinking a sun trick room team hybrid. It is:
Torkoal @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave

Armarouge @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Armor Cannon
- Energy Ball
- Expanding Force

Indeedee-F @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam

Hatterene @ Mirror Herb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Pollen Puff
- Rage Powder
- Spore

Skeledirge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

And here’s the incomplete Scarlet team:
View attachment 501486
For the Scarlet team’s last slot, I’ve whittled my choices down to eleven options:
-Oinkologne
-Maushold
-Dachsbun
-Mabosstiff
-Grafaiai
-Tinkaton
-Revavroom
-Cyclizar
-Orthworm
-Cetitan
-Baxcaliber

Of these, which is the best option for my last team slot? And while we’re at it, is there a ‘mon I got planned for my Scarlet team that I should reconsider?
OK, so after some deliberation I’ve decided that my planned Scarlet team needs a Ghost resist/immunity more that anything, since I got two Ghost-weak Pokemon and there’s no guarantee Garganacl is gonna have Purifying Salt. Therefore I have reduced my options to:
-Oinkologne
-Mabosstiff
-Grafaiai
-Cyclizar

Which of these four would be the best option?

OK, so after some deliberation I’ve decided that my planned Scarlet team needs a Ghost resist/immunity more that anything, since I got two Ghost-weak Pokemon and there’s no guarantee Garganacl is gonna have Purifying Salt. Therefore I have reduced my options to:
-Oinkologne
-Mabosstiff
-Grafaiai
-Cyclizar

Which of these four would be the best option?
I've got Grafaiai and Mabosstiff on my team and both are pretty good! Grafaiai feels weirdly strong and has a pretty solid offensive movepool early on (Acid Spray, Bite for coverage, Poison Fang isn't super late, Scratch gets you by until Slash) but I'd honestly pick up Mabosstiff. If you can get one with Intimidate... mine hasn't been KOed all game and it's one of my most reliable team members. Snarl makes it tankier on the special side if needed and it hits stupidly hard with Bite once you get it, let alone Crunch at the mid-late game. No real coverage to speak of (mine knows Fire Fang, Trailblaze, Crunch and Snarl and I'm at the 6th gym?) but the utility alone makes it okay. Plus you catch it pretty early too on the way to the first gym. It's good.

Paldea Bird.png

Paldea Dragon.png
Paldea Ghost.png
So, my 3 teams. I ran birds first against the Titans, used the movement abilities to catch and breed a bunch of lvl 1 pseudos/ghosts, then ran Pseudo-Legends against the Gyms. When that was done, I ran ghosts against Team Star.

Thought: First off, if you want to do this, just do 2 teams. There was a LOT of grinding in the latter half of Star/Titans, while the League never jumps more than 7 levels at a time and has a lot of extra battles. The TMs and Items available early on in runs 2/3 were broken AF and I usually waited until like lvl 30 to start opening my bag and optimizing my team.
Birds: I ran into obedience issues doing Titans first, but only with Tropius(everyone else was caught early enough it didn't matter), but Tropius was basically unusable lategame. Bombirdier was the Titan catch, and having good IVs and the HA was excellent. Really, there's a LOT of flying options in this game, and I picked good ones. Not much to say there.
Pseudolegends: Painful early game. Basically until Gabite I was having issues. After the first set of evolutions, though, things got a lot easier. Poor Dreepy was a mess, no moves and no evo until late, but it was a beast during the E4.
Ghosts: Palossand and Brambleghast were extremely slow and didn't have much to back it up. The rest were excellent. I did this third because of Gholdengo, and when he evolved he was appropriately busted(compare to my miserable experience trying to evolve the Tumbleweed). Mono-Ghost came with a lot of weird abilities and coverage to work with, so that was fun.

Definitely a worthwhile experience, I'd recommend trying it since we finally have an open-world game to play with.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, my 3 teams. I ran birds first against the Titans, used the movement abilities to catch and breed a bunch of lvl 1 pseudos/ghosts, then ran Pseudo-Legends against the Gyms. When that was done, I ran ghosts against Team Star.

Thought: First off, if you want to do this, just do 2 teams. There was a LOT of grinding in the latter half of Star/Titans, while the League never jumps more than 7 levels at a time and has a lot of extra battles. The TMs and Items available early on in runs 2/3 were broken AF and I usually waited until like lvl 30 to start opening my bag and optimizing my team.
Birds: I ran into obedience issues doing Titans first, but only with Tropius(everyone else was caught early enough it didn't matter), but Tropius was basically unusable lategame. Bombirdier was the Titan catch, and having good IVs and the HA was excellent. Really, there's a LOT of flying options in this game, and I picked good ones. Not much to say there.
Pseudolegends: Painful early game. Basically until Gabite I was having issues. After the first set of evolutions, though, things got a lot easier. Poor Dreepy was a mess, no moves and no evo until late, but it was a beast during the E4.
Ghosts: Palossand and Brambleghast were extremely slow and didn't have much to back it up. The rest were excellent. I did this third because of Gholdengo, and when he evolved he was appropriately busted(compare to my miserable experience trying to evolve the Tumbleweed). Mono-Ghost came with a lot of weird abilities and coverage to work with, so that was fun.

Definitely a worthwhile experience, I'd recommend trying it since we finally have an open-world game to play with.
Love this idea of using a different team for each main story! Will steal it after the DLC comes out which is probably when I’ll do another playthrough.

It's the launch of a new generation. It's always fun to mull around and share what team you want to use! Will you head into the game dead set on a certain squad? Or will you roll with whatever the game gives you and savor the surprise? Share your thoughts!

Of course, once you've beaten the game, feel free to show off your pals that made it all the way in this thread!

You can use this resource to share your planned team:

https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/plan/#sv
Shoutout to the hard work of richi3f for the dope ass team builder

Currently I'm planning on something like...

View attachment 466362

I've got a few weirdo impulses in my brain for making teams for a new game. 1) Use as many dual types without overlapping as possible. 2) Use as many new Pokemon as possible. 3) Try and avoid using a Water-type, if possible (several generations of being forced to be tethered to surf made me want to shake things up a bit). This is the best mix of chapper lads and power I can think up for now. That said, I do plan on having a rotating cast since the EXP share games makes that really easy and my first playthrough of SWSH with like 9 different Pokemon was majorly enjoyable. I'll go wherever the wind takes me (until I catch a Kilowatrel) and try out whatever I stumble upon.

But that's enough about me. What are you all planning on using? Share it below!
My team was skeledirge gardevoir mewscarada Staraptor palafin baxcalibur

Coronis

Impressively round
Alright so team.

Completed the Teal Mask first (apart from postgame stuff like Ogre clan, O’Nare etc), then did the main story. Just finished Way Home.

IMG_8830.jpeg

All of them were traded in (wanted correct natures at least, Infernape/Staraptor/Greninja/Meowscarada also had their HA’s) - I had a rule of not battling or catching any Wild Pokemon unless necessary - failed twice, Arena Trapped by an accidental Dugtrio and caught a random Salandit shiny that showed up. Battled all the trainers I could find. Plan to finish the postgame with these guys, then save them for the next part of the DLC. Also made sure to use each Pokemon once in all the final battles (Geeta, Arven, Clavell, Penny, Nemona, Turo). Had some hairy moments with that. Also no Terastalizing for the whole game - I see it as more of a multiplayer feature, I don’t like using it outside of Raids.

Didn’t plan for them all to end at the same level but damn, don’t that look pretty.

Last edited:
I beat the main part of the story, still need to find the rest of the Ogre clan, catch the loyal 3, and do Perrin's sidequest, but this is the team I ended up going with. Continuing on with my goal of using different teams for each of the stories in SV (and because all of my base story teams are level 100 now), I put together a new team for Teal Mask. For the DLCs I decided to drop my restriction of only using new mons so that I could use some mons that I haven't used from previous games.

tealmaskteam.png

First, I was hoping that Marshadow would make it in, but it didn't, so rather than hope it makes it in with indigo disk and waiting 3+ months, I just opted to use a raid ghost-tera Annihilape I had sitting in one of my boxes, naming Fauxshadow as my substitute for Marshadow.

Then, I saw on Twitter that the Sinnoh mythicals did make it in, and I had a shiny Darkrai from GO that I had deposited in PLA but didn't really use much of because I had beaten the game well before HOME connectivity. So, I moved this Darkrai over to SV (after having to do the runaround of placing a non-GO Darkrai in SV first -_-) and finally getting to use that in a playthrough. It was originally level 49 or so, so I used it most in the early part of the DLC since it was the lowest leveled mon I had for a bit.

Next, before the DLC dropped I had already decided I wanted to use Gliscor and Trevenant. I ended up getting them much more quickly than I had anticipated: the first day I went to do a 6* raid off toward the timeless woods, and on the way I ran into a Gligar that I added to the team. Then, it turned out the raid boss was a rock-tera Trevenant, which was pretty convenient because at that point I didn't know for sure if Trevenant was a wild spawn. (I was guessing it was, but hadn't checked to confirm). Plus the raid was close enough to the timeless woods that I figured it was practically like I caught it there.

I kept Gligar unevolved for a while, and even though everything was pretty high level it generally held its own, unlike a couple of other mons to be mentioned. I eventually evolved it after a battle with Kieran where my Gligar took down his -- felt look a good story beat that would warrant an evolution in the anime. :P Had to fly to Paldea, though, since I think the time of day is locked during the story.

The last two slots were the hardest to decide on. Other than Darkrai I wanted to use mons I got in-game, so while I had considered using hisuian arcanine if available in game, you can only get the gift after Perrin's sidequest. I was going to use the Chimchar I hatched from Jacq's egg, but eventually decided that I didn't like having 3 flying weaknesses and no resists. I ultimately decided to use Armarogue, even though I used it on my team star story squad, since I don't care for the team I used for that story and wanted a new head-canon team for Armarogue. I grabbed a grass-tera charcadet to use and leveled it up with candies. Like Gligar I wanted to level it up after it got a nice win in a battle, but it wasn't quite able to clutch anything out itself. It did well at keeping Munkidori under control with clear smog in the titan battle, so I decided "good enough" and I evolved it after that battle.

Finally, for the last slot I was really stuck for a while. I kind of wanted a water type, but none of the native kitikami dex species were appealing. I thought about trading for a piplup, but Empoleon felt more like an Indigo disk mon. I decided to try put poliwhirl for a bit, since I've been feeling lately like it deserved more mascot status popularity, but even at high levels it just didn't get to do anything without being ko'd, and I didn't want to evolve it so I decided it had to go. I briefly considered dropping my in-game requirement and catching Manaphy or Phione in PLA and transferring them over, but I happened to see the natdex mono-dragon team tweet from Smogon that had walking wake on it, and I thought "screw, I do like walking wake, and I caught it in game and never did anything with it. It's going on the team." One funny moment using it was when this big scary dino-mon failed to ko an Ogre clan's Ribombee with flamethrower, which quiver danced and took out Wake with a moonblast. :P

Overall I like how the team turned out. I have an idea of what I'll use in indigo disk, but that'll partly depend on whether raging bolt is available during the story, unlike Ogrepon and the loyal 3 here. I'm also curious about how much content there is in the "return to area zero" part of the story -- if it's substantial enough I might make a new team for that and maybe use ogrepon on it since we don't really get to use it much in teal mask.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1695347954960.png

Haven't got the game yet but I like the look of these teams for full main story + DLC playthroughs. Whatever's lying in wait in Indigo Disk, Imma beat its ass with Ogerpon! Or Okidogi. Or Iron Jugulis. Whatever works, man.

The "themes" are as follows:
1. First playthrough. Gonna use my preferred guys from this roster.
2. Second playthrough. A more sterotypically "cool" team with big boys and 3 stagers.
3. Wacky fellas.

View attachment 554197
Haven't got the game yet but I like the look of these teams for full main story + DLC playthroughs. Whatever's lying in wait in Indigo Disk, Imma beat its ass with Ogerpon! Or Okidogi. Or Iron Jugulis. Whatever works, man.

The "themes" are as follows:
1. First playthrough. Gonna use my preferred guys from this roster.
2. Second playthrough. A more sterotypically "cool" team with big boys and 3 stagers.
3. Wacky fellas.
I should point out that Okidogi & BM Ursaluna effectively require beating the game and Archaludon probably will too depending on what its evolution method is so I think some of these teams are gonna be a smidge of a timer.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I should point out that Okidogi & BM Ursaluna effectively require beating the game and Archaludon probably will too depending on what its evolution method is so I think some of these teams are gonna be a smidge of a timer.
Ill just run normal mons during the main game and then bonk the DLC stuff with the postgame guys. I aint afraid of no extremely late team shuffling.

Main game:

1696099785178.png

Teal Mask:

1696099884292.png

(the Torkoal was a shiny I caught in base SV)

Really don't know what to do for my Indigo Disk team. I really want to use Ogerpon (I love her a lot), but I don't want to jib my starter considering ID will be a conclusion to the threads presented during the main story. Given that it also follows up on the Kitakami arc I don't want to jib my Teal Mask party either. On top of all this, I'm a massive stickler for not having type overlap. My most likely team at this point is either just my main team or a combination of the two as such (+ the H-Growlithe Perrin gives you):

1696100391522.png

(just pretend there's an "either or" for Meowscarada and Ogerpon)

Alright I beat the teal mask, so imma share the squad! I could've easily just used the op og one where everyone is lvl 100 now, but where's the fun in that? [There'll be spoilers ofc]
IMG_20231005_123526.jpg

:sv/leavanny:
The whole leavanny line are amongst my favorite pokemon of all time, so the moment I saw them amongst the leaked dex I fully decided I'd get this dlc! Floro (he's male) came prepackaged with sticky web, which also got me excited cuz I had never used webs in game apart from in battle facilities. Needless to say, I soon discovered that they are actually pretty op since the in game trainers, unlike sentient players, aren't consistently putting rapid spin or defog/putting heavy duty boots on most of their teams. And Floro did put in his own with swords dance and decently powerful x scissors and leaf blades too!

:sv/crawdaunt:
Much like clodsire with tatsugiri during the main game, I originally used a corphish to filler in until I got a politoed. However, unlike tatsugiri, I never ended up actually seeing a politoed at all, neither in the wild or in a raid... Therefore I had to make do with Langostin the crawdaunt! He actually benefited a lot from his teammates, appreciating the webs from leavanny, burns from ninetales and coil boosts passed from furret (more on the latter two later). All of this meant that he was perfectly free to launch his nuclear crabhammers and crunches at everything. I had knock off there too for an even more powerful dark move, tho not every mon had an item to begin with so it didn't feel as useful as crunch. And swords dance too cuz wynaut! It's not like furret would ALWAYS be able to pass them some boosts.

:sv/sandslash:
I swear that this is the last swords dance user.... Anyway, Amy! She was pretty similar to crawdaunt in her setup-and-sweep playstyle, with the main difference being that she traded sheer firepower for more bulk, ground typing and a little more speed. I did have to slot in dig alongside earthquake for the chaotic three's (that's my nickname for them!) boss fights (to not damage carmine's mons) and the final ogrepon fight (to have a ground move that's not debuffed by grassy terrain). Gyro ball was also there but it was mostly filler and it never rly felt useful.

:sv/furret:
I mean. Come on. They're furret! How could I say no? Besides it's not like there's a lot of options that don't type overlap that I like... Collar certainly had the toughest early stage, not having access to coil as a sentret AND being significantly slower and weaker. However, once she evolved she finally got access to the move and statistical upgrade, and idk, she wasn't half bad. She did require both burns and coil boosts to rly get going, but webs actually meant that wasn't that hard to accomplish. She could then either baton pass the boosts to another teammate or sweep with strong double edges and sucker punches (the latter was also useful for picking up kills on weakened opponents). Not the easiest to use but ultra satisfying to pull off (especially as a furret!)

:sv/ninetales:
The last mon to get on the team, Nine the ninetales rounds out the team's fwg core (I rly don't feel pressured to complete one if there aren't options I like for any part, but luckily there was in this case!) She offered burns through will o wisps, which was an invaluable resource for the team's survivability, as well as strong fire blasts that could be boosted further with nasty plot. She didn't have drought, which was kinda disappointing, but then again that could've ruined any sweep attempts from Langostin, so ig it's fine.

:sv/chimecho:
Finally, Chims the chimecho! I actually got her in legends arceus as a chingling before being fully sold on the dlc (before I knew the leavanny line was in it). So when I finally decided to get it, I decided I would very well use her as my pseudo starter of sorts. However, while she did have recover right off the bat thx to the transfer mechanics, she was still pretty rough to use for the first while especially since she'd only evolve at night. However, once she did evolve she became my definitive defensive cornerstone. She could stomach a lot of non super effective hits and heal them off without needing an item, and if need be even cure the rest of the squad with heal bell! Rly looking forward to the maybe-real-maybe-me-just-looking-too-much-into-a-single-trailer-shot-and-promotional-demonstration-screenshot-of-how-hospitality-works evo! (Man I hope it's real...)

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
So I’m thinking of maybe getting Scarlet as well as Violet. Mainly as an easy way to farm non-breedable exclusives, and also because why break tradition? I’ve had both Versions for every Gen except Shining Pearl and some Gen 5/7 stuff - I think I only got one of BW2 and only one of USUM.

Haven’t decided yet on a team if I do get it. Either I’d be playing through with an all new team of mons I haven’t used. (Meowscarada, Flamigo, Pawmot, Lokix, Espathra, Ceruledge was initial Violet playthrough, secondary one post DLC was Infernape, Staraptor, Garchomp, Greninja, Toxtricity, Meowscarada). Or just trying to speed through the game as fast as possible (though this will probably be less enjoyable)

So what mon(s) would you guys recommend for a speedrun of the game?

I already have a few ideas for an all new team as well, involving Skeledirge, Tinkaton (ok I’ll submit to public pressure) and Baxcalibur - are there any other interesting mons you guys would recommend? (ideally entire new lines, though its not impossible I’d use something like Kingambit etc.)

So what mon(s) would you guys recommend for a speedrun of the game?
Flamigo is the actual speedrun mon if you're THAT bored. It's really that good: basically unresisted stab combo with Scrappy, high BP stabs, relatively fast, can't go wrong with it.

Assuming you want to do a "normal" but fast playthrough, just somewhat fast, Marill is available basically right after the tutorial and I don't need to explain how good Azumarill is.
If you rather want new pokemon, hard to not suggest the rats, you can buy and/or find Wide Lenses relatively early and then just tera normal population bomb go brrrr.
Pawmot is also pretty solid if you can go through the boring process of evolving it, fast electric fighting which gets to abuse tera electric with its signature move, and Lokix is also deceptively strong with its Tinted Lens boosted stabs.

I would recommend Meowscarada as starter though, if anything just so Nemona doesn't get it. Picking Skeledirge means Nemona will have Meowscarada which is both fast, strong and bonks you with tera grass Flower Trick, something you do have to account for.

Can't really recommend any of the others if your objective is to "go fast", slow bulky pokemon are generally bad for this purpose due to requiring to waste time healing them way more often than fast glass cannons who can just tera and 1hko everything they have type advantage on. (Meowscarada is particularly egregious for this purpose too, for the same reason you don't want it against, tera grass flower trick go brrrr)

Coronis

Impressively round
Flamigo is the actual speedrun mon if you're THAT bored. It's really that good: basically unresisted stab combo with Scrappy, high BP stabs, relatively fast, can't go wrong with it.

Assuming you want to do a "normal" but fast playthrough, just somewhat fast, Marill is available basically right after the tutorial and I don't need to explain how good Azumarill is.
If you rather want new pokemon, hard to not suggest the rats, you can buy and/or find Wide Lenses relatively early and then just tera normal population bomb go brrrr.
Pawmot is also pretty solid if you can go through the boring process of evolving it, fast electric fighting which gets to abuse tera electric with its signature move, and Lokix is also deceptively strong with its Tinted Lens boosted stabs.

I would recommend Meowscarada as starter though, if anything just so Nemona doesn't get it. Picking Skeledirge means Nemona will have Meowscarada which is both fast, strong and bonks you with tera grass Flower Trick, something you do have to account for.

Can't really recommend any of the others if your objective is to "go fast", slow bulky pokemon are generally bad for this purpose due to requiring to waste time healing them way more often than fast glass cannons who can just tera and 1hko everything they have type advantage on. (Meowscarada is particularly egregious for this purpose too, for the same reason you don't want it against, tera grass flower trick go brrrr)
Oh I mean either I’ll go for a proper speedrun or do a proper playthrough run, for which I wouldn’t really care about stats etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)