Implemented post-team tournament manager surveys

Status
Not open for further replies.
this would provide a concrete way of polling thoughts players had ab their managers to use for the next years’ tournament to give the community a bit more voice in the manager selection process. we have seen bad / inactive managers fall thru the cracks at times and having a place for players to voice concerns after the fact would help to make tours more enjoyable imo

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
this would provide a concrete way of polling thoughts players had ab their managers to use for the next years’ tournament to give the community a bit more voice in the manager selection process. we have seen bad / inactive managers fall thru the cracks at times and having a place for players to voice concerns after the fact would help to make tours more enjoyable imo
I personally think this is an absolutely fine idea and applaud you for saying it. Just my two cents, but I think if like nobody replies in a few days or you're not getting input (or if everyone agrees with you), you could draft a sample survey yourself and see if people have more input on the specifics.

this is something that we've strongly considered in the past as well and i think it's a great idea to hold managers more accountable. at the time we got stuck on how to 'protect' the people that would submit a negative review, given the risk of your submission being leaked to the managers in question if a large group of people were to have access to it. what if one of the questionable managers is actually a moderator or a tournament director? submitting anonymously doesn't work either because it's easy to deduce who actually submitted the feedback from a small pool of options.

there's something to be said about simply saying it with your chest, but i'd imagine a lot of people will choose their social security and not being outed as a snitch over influencing the managerial selection process. maybe someone not involved in the tournaments scene can be the recipient of the reviews and be used as a resource by the tournament directors for when they need to select managers? that could very quickly turn into the same problem though. so yeah, food for thought i guess. i don't really have an answer but would be interested in hearing how others might view this potential obstacle.

Theia

You love me for everything you hate me for
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Hello good morning friends!

We discussed this among the TD team with SCL starting right after I post this, and we'd like to trial this idea because we think we could gain some valuable insight that we might not otherwise have.

The structure of the form as drafted at this time is roughly five open-ended questions pertaining to team environment and manager involvement, to be distributed at the end of the tour via a Google Form. The answers will be collected by a non-playing, non-managing party (me) and anonymized and summarized to the rest of the TD team as needed.

Thank you for bringing this idea up and we look forward to trying it out!

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hello good morning friends!

We discussed this among the TD team with SCL starting right after I post this, and we'd like to trial this idea because we think we could gain some valuable insight that we might not otherwise have.

The structure of the form as drafted at this time is roughly five open-ended questions pertaining to team environment and manager involvement, to be distributed at the end of the tour via a Google Form. The answers will be collected by a non-playing, non-managing party (me) and anonymized and summarized to the rest of the TD team as needed.

Thank you for bringing this idea up and we look forward to trying it out!
Hello, as someone who has tried to improve as a Manager tournament after tournament, and has extensively used (direct and indirect) feedback from players to do so, I think this is a good idea.

However, I suggest you share your questions with managers (and players) at the beginning of each tournament, so that managers aren't given feedback on hidden or arbitrary dimensions, and you have the chance to make the concepts of "team environment" and "manager involvement" clearer.

like this idea as well, the host could summarize the feedback + give it back to the managers too if they wanted to
This is probably the most important part if your goal is having people rethink about their performances and apply constructive feedback to future tournaments and experiences.

If the goal is merely to "ostracize" those managers who haven't performed well enough according to their players, we wouldn't be exploiting this tool to its full potential. It also wouldn't add much to the current system where complaints are allowed and to the tournaments community as a whole (especially for new managers).

So yeah, to me it's very important that you find a way to aggregate and redistribute results to all involved parties.

Agreed. Being a manager is and should be something really effort demanding. It is not only the "day of the auction", but contributing in several things from organization aspects to general team vibes through scouting, building, and anything. However, I can see that is a position that can easily be taken as not serious and just relax while seeing the players winning. Even though this is still morally fair, I think this kind of strategical policies are key to promote an active manager that gives the tour and their players more fun. Moreover, even though it is not Pokémon specific, these skills are worth to improve and might be welcome in a daily life (some of us have/had or will have some people which we have to supervise/organize). Constructive feedback should always be valued and promoted in a double blind manner and with the TD as the blind maker, in order to ensure the whole process as proper. This might help to choose managers also for other skills that might be important for their role (besides how good are playing mons).

Tldr; holy yes, feedback is always appreciated if it is constructive.

Theia

You love me for everything you hate me for
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Hello and good morning friends! With SCL wrapped up, I'd just like to give an update on how this proposal has worked thus far.

The form I ended up sending out consisted of five open-ended and optional questions (besides mandatory Forum Name and Team Played For):
- How was the environment in your team's server?
- What did your managers do well?
- What could your managers improve on?
- Would you team up with/play for these managers again in the future?
- Any further comments, questions, etc. that you'd like the TD team to be aware of?

Out of the 160 total people drafted in SCL III, 88 took the time to fill out the survey, so huge thank you to all of them for their insight!

For transparency and to hopefully alleviate any concerns on this point, here is an example of how survey results were communicated from me to the rest of the team. While the feedback varied in length per team, this is the general level of anonymity and specific detail put into each one. The only person who has and will ever have access to the form and spreadsheet where the verbatim answers and their attached names are held is me.

1703856133563.png

pix and Hayburner's data used as an example with consent from pix and Hayburner

One final thing to talk about going into SPL is the idea of this feedback being communicated in some form with the managers themselves, which is something a few people have asked about. I will not be doing this for the SCL that just finished because this was not communicated to the players as a possibility. Should this be something we do going forward, the managers would receive summaries akin to the one posted above, but I wanted to broach this as it's something that's been requested a few times and I wanted to give people time to communicate any potential concerns or just speak in favor of this being done before making a decision on it.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far and for any coming feedback!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think presenting the data to managers in that form would raise anonymity concerns at all. It's far too un-specific to give the managers a hint about what individual made certain positive/negative remarks (in your example, hay being slightly less active than pix at the end is something that anyone in the chat could've noticed, so they wouldn't know who said it). With that in mind, I think managers from this SCL should receive a similar summary of their feedback. Knowing where they stand for the future and whether they need to improve feels more important to me than any risks here, because we seem able to totally avoid those risks as long as you keep the summaries at this level of general-ness.

thanks for setting this up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)