Media Post some cool obscure games you've played

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Just thought of a fun game I used to play as a young Canadian zoomer, thought I'd drop a place to talk about it

1675885880085.png

Monster Tale, probably my favourite game of all time that no one has ever heard of.

The game combines Metroidvania, Pet Sim and Pokemon style genres to create a really cool experience that used the DS dual screens quite effectively.
Main gimmick of the game was that the top screen was used for overworld exploration / combat, and the bottom screen was a remote portal location where your monster pet chilled out and stored it's items. You could also freely switch your pet from one location to the other, with it being able to use offensive and defensive skills by using some of it's mana.
1675886236160.png

There were also a few fights that incorporated both screens into the fight, usually having your pet monster hitting part of the enemy in the bottom side while you'd physically fight it out with the top side.
1675886863599.png

It also had a pretty expansive evolution tree, with your pet monster turning from a child, to a teenager and finally an adult as you progressed through the game, with each stage having 10 different forms that unlocked unique skills.

1675962901226.png

The game got a ton of good reviews from game journalists, but ultimately didn't really reach a wide audience with the game only being released within the United States. It's also one of the very few games of the time that had a non sexualised female lead, supposedly a controversial decision for the publishers.

That's my blurb, wanted to talk about a game that I had a ton of fun playing and replaying, would highly suggest people try it out.

Now I'd love to hear other games that are generally unknown to the public!

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
4AAA1CA8-643F-4F31-8B3F-F3FAEC452323.jpeg

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart is a fan-made kart racing spin-off of the sequel to a sonic game made in the DOOM Engine… and its one of the best in the genre. Lots of tracks, appealing graphics, tons of playable characters and a decent online mode. Plus its totally free!!! Check it out.

There's this little game called Minecraft, ever heard of it? It's kinda small, but definitely a gem. I'd recommend playing it at some point, you should be able to find it on Yahoo! even if it's not the first result. Just keep an eye out for it when you're scrolling.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol

One of my friends turned me onto this game recently, and despite its 1995 release it's actually really expansive. Obviously not the most impressive graphically (even for the time) and it takes a bit to figure out, but once you get going it really sucks you in. You crawl through a dungeon with a party of up to four characters, defeating monsters, collecting items, leveling up, etc. All sounds pretty standard. But there's just something charming about it. It distracted me from my backlog of Switch games for awhile anyway lol. There's even a Wiki that my friend linked me to that I haven't really dug around in much but apparently it's got a lot of info on the game if you're interested.

cover.png

3-D Ultra Radio Control Racers Deluxe: Traxxas Edition

Incredibly fun and underrated game from my childhood that I wish would get a remaster/remake or, at the very least, a port at some point. It had so much charm, and the racing/power-ups/battling was fun, and the customization was really cool too!

View attachment 490522
Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart is a fan-made kart racing spin-off of the sequel to a sonic game made in the DOOM Engine… and its one of the best in the genre. Lots of tracks, appealing graphics, tons of playable characters and a decent online mode. Plus its totally free!!! Check it out.
srb2-title.png

From what I understand, the whole Sonic Robo Blast 2 fan-made game is really good too!

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
i quite like playing obscure games, particularly ones released for retro consoles, but apparently most I've played are obscure enough where even I can't think of them off of the top of my head haha. on top of that I haven't really been playing many video games lately but i digress.

one of the better puzzle games I've ever played is TRI: Of Friendship and Madness, but in 9 years (damn...) it's only received 334 steam reviews.

it's a first person puzzle game where you change how you traverse the level by creating 3d triangles you can walk on. you look at a floor/ceiling/wall and place an anchor point, and 3 anchor points that can validly connect will form a triangle. if it isn't too steep a triangle you can walk on it to get somewhere and solve a puzzle. there's also crazy stuff like light reflection mechanics
i'm understating it because I don't want to hit you with a wall of text (nor do i want to write one) but the puzzles are incredibly unique and the atmosphere of the game, both in a visual and auditory sense, is incredible. it just flew under the radar so much that I forgot about it even though I played it!

two others I'll mention are roguelands and ratz instagib.
roguelands is a super bog standard roguelike that got abandoned a year or 2 after getting kickstarted. however, a super bog standard roguelike is still decently enjoyable and the combat mechanics are pretty tight. not adding stuff to the game ended up meaning that there was nothing to bog down the fun of the core systems. not worth $10 but if you find it on sale then buy it I guess. i think there's a modding scene too.
ratz instagib is a movement shooter where you fly around the map at 300 kilometers an hour and shoot others with your instakill weapon - if your aim is good enough to hit the other supersonic rats, that is. it's old so the only people you'll find playing it are massive tryhards but it's still quite fun especially if you can somehow get someone you know to buy it. better than quake champions (which is still pretty good) lol

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Monster_Muppet_Adventure.jpg

If we're talking obscure games I gotta bring this bad boy up. A pretty standard PS1 platformer akin to Spyro, a fun mechanic featuring player character monster transformations as powerups, and with accurate voice acting from what I remember. The main standout of the game however is the intense difficulty spike and lack of direction about halfway through the game. I've never seen it again in secondhand stores and I wouldn't have a way to play it anyway lol, but had to give it a shoutout

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I need to dig through my backlog. I have some random retro stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga (yes I own an actual copy) that would be fun to share. The things I have played aren't that obscure for the most part.

The best I can think of is Radiant Historia, but that sold well enough to get a 3DS remake so eh.

Just thought of a fun game I used to play as a young Canadian zoomer, thought I'd drop a place to talk about it

View attachment 490498

Monster Tale, probably my favourite game of all time that no one has ever heard of.

The game combines Metroidvania, Pet Sim and Pokemon style genres to create a really cool experience that used the DS dual screens quite effectively.
Main gimmick of the game was that the top screen was used for overworld exploration / combat, and the bottom screen was a remote portal location where your monster pet chilled out and stored it's items. You could also freely switch your pet from one location to the other, with it being able to use offensive and defensive skills by using some of it's mana.
View attachment 490500

There were also a few fights that incorporated both screens into the fight, usually having your pet monster hitting part of the enemy in the bottom side while you'd physically fight it out with the top side.
View attachment 490507

It also had a pretty expansive evolution tree, with your pet monster turning from a child, to a teenager and finally an adult as you progressed through the game, with each stage having 10 different forms that unlocked unique skills.

The game got a ton of good reviews from game journalists, but ultimately didn't really reach a wide audience with the game only being released within the United States. It's also one of the very few games of the time that had a non sexualised female lead, supposedly a controversial decision for the publishers.

That's my blurb, wanted to talk about a game that I had a ton of fun playing and replaying, would highly suggest people try it out.

Now I'd love to hear other games that are generally unknown to the public!
I remember reading about this game in Nintendo Power before it came out. It sounded fun and wish I got it, but I was still a teen and didn't have a lot of purchasing freedom at the time.

DISTROBRO

Banned deucer.
Does this count? This game has a crazy production story. Budget and crew of a movie production. So expensive that it sunk its studio. Graphic engine still roaring today for other studios that bought the rights back.
titan quest.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)