Resource Post OMPL VII Thread

pichus

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
hello, this is where u can steal quality outdated ag teams. they are pretty creative and i used new teams for most of my games.
ill do shoutouts and cry about my 2-4 record later in the post

here are the teams + a little explanation:

week 1: vs hunterstorm
im pretty sure this was hunterstorms first game after a long break. I saw him spamming HOs on ladder and roomtours so I figured that ill try to keep my builds anti HO. I also tried to throw in random stall breakers cuz he also likes to use stall.

g1
:rayquaza-mega: :marshadow: :zygarde-complete: :arceus-water: :ferrothorn: :magearna:
if you cant tell already, this team is super super anti HO. zygarde + ferro is such a solid defensive core and walls most of the offensive stuff in ag. i also had a magearna cuz he uses vivillon sometimes. idk if i mentioned this before but I also saw hunter using this lance stall variant without steelceus, which meant that band rayquaza can get free kills. i decided to use the volt switch to band mega ray tech here. waterceus walls dm and zygarde. didnt feel like running ice beam because i had haze glare zygarde for dd zygarde matchup. i think this was really anti hunter in general and i worked super hard on this team and glad that i got rewarded. I was pretty sure that this team was a guaranteed win vs hunter in g1 but if he brought something thats not his standard stuff i wouldve had a hard time.

g2
:rayquaza-mega: :arceus-steel: :arceus-water: :ditto: :groudon-primal: :marshadow:
another anti HO, idek what i had in mind when i was building this. marsh + ditto makes sense but i really have no idea why i added a waterceus and rest pdon on a team like this. but ya ok, this 1 had ditto + marsh for the HO matchup. Ditto also beats stall so thats super cool. CM ID steelceus was the super cool arushi tech at that time. plus i nommed steelceus for A rank for whatever reason so i had to use it in a tour to prove that its good. I had a pretty bad MU in this game but I wouldve 100% won if he didnt crit my waterceus with his ho-oh turn 2 or turn3. idr now but ya the result of this match made me pretty sad because I played fine and shouldve won.

g3
:rayquaza-mega: :skarmory: :necrozma-ultra: :groudon-primal: :arceus-dark: :arceus-water:
this is probably the worst team ive ever built and used in a tour lol. i genuinely do not remember what i was doing here. like, unecro with just photon eq?? REST DON again? rest don kinda makes sense because i was addicted to this set for whatever reason and im pretty sure this costed me the game but not as much as the 12.5% roll on darkceus. cant really blame hax for this tho, i really dont know why i used this. please do not steal this one unless u wanna lose games t1.

yeah i was super demotivated after this week. g2 result especially made me really sad because i shouldve won it. same goes for g3 but now that i look back, i kinda deserved losing this game because the team was just super bad lol.

anywayyy onto week 2

week 2: vs purplegatorade
my strategy was to counter standard balance because PG was in full recycling mode. his most solid teams were the triple arc, band ho-oh, scarf ray and primal kyogre and the cm groundy + ttar + scarf ray. i was 100% expecting these and based my prepped accordingly but looks like he secretly built a few new teams. fortunately i had pretty ok matchups and won yay!

g1
:rayquaza-mega: :shuckle: :necrozma-ultra: :arceus: :xerneas: :yveltal:
this team is actually pretty good. its a standard webs team with a couple of cool sets. this one is super simple and you literally just have to click buttons to win unless you have a garbage matchup. i chose shuckle as my web setter because at the time z move dusk mane was getting really uncommon + pg never used it anyway. had double z here like most of my teams because imagine running just 1 lol (this was obviously a mistake ofcourse, life orb ekiller makes much more sense). also had this cool yveltal evd to tank a super effective judgment at 91%, disable, taunt and then get a free kill. pg played this game really well but i made some weird plays and the mu was slightly in my favour so this turned out to be a win for me.

g2
:gengar-mega: :arceus-fairy: :arceus: :arceus-dark: :arceus-poison: :ferrothorn:
obviously had to use arc spam atleast once. i initially built the team around wisp gar + cm rere fairy as it was broken at that time (still is). decided to add an ekiller to trap skarms/steelas/support arcs. defensive core is obviously pretty weak but i covered pretty much all the threats i think. something like a stall/sab balance MU wouldve been hard but he brought a standard balance team which didnt trouble me at all. had to make one play with my gengar to ensure win, which i made. also i choked towards the end but still managed to win fair & square.

g3
:rayquaza-mega: :arceus: :arceus-ground: :arceus-fairy: :xerneas: :necrozma-ultra:

made this one for g3 but i won in 2. pretty meh team but yeah again works well vs pg stuff

week3: vs skarph
yeah so uh i really had no idea what to do here, skarph is really good and uses pretty much everything. idk i just used solid teams.

g1
:rayquaza-mega: :deoxys-speed: :naganadel: :xerneas: :arceus: :necrozma-dusk-mane:
The Arushi HO.
i was super excited to use this, mainly because of the dusk mane set. pretty sure im the one who used it for the first time. rest of the team is pretty standard. rayquaza is a must on screens. naga was pretty underused at the time and is broken anyway. obviously had to use deoxys with reflect / light screen. xern & ekiller are also pretty standard. I did not get a chance of use any of these because the necrozma swept which made me super happy. i knew this set was either gonna sweep or just completely fail. glad it worked out tho. this team was super fun to make, i remember i had like tapu koko screens + rocks eleceus here initially so the final team was a massive upgrade. i still use it a lot and its one of my most solid HO teams atm.

g2
:rayquaza-mega: :magearna: :arceus-grass: :arceus-dark: :arceus-ground: :zygarde-complete:
another really weird team, idr what i had in mind while building this honestly. pretty sure i was trying to build around cm groundy. eventually added a grassceus to absorb the leech seeds/origin pulses. rest of the team is really arushi. idk what went wrong here tho, i really didnt mess up at all. his roar toxic fairyceus was kinda annoying but i managed to deal with it. theres just 1 play which he made in the entire game and im guessing thats the one which won him. or maybe it was just one of those games where both players have an equally good matchup and the better player just wins. who cares anyway, i had fun :shrug:

g3

im pretty sure he wasnt going to expect double HO in a series cuz ive always used balance for g3. so i decided to reuse the webs team which i made for my game vs pg. MU was kinda in his favour but it wasnt unwinnable for me for sure. A couple of doubles here and there wouldve won me the game but ya w/e.

obviously i was pretty disappointed but i got RO'd later this week so it was fine. not for long tho, cuz my series vs zenithial sent me back into depression

week4: vs zenithial
yeah idk what i was going to do this week. this zenithial dude just beats me every time in a bo3 unless i bring psyspam. i was also super sick this week which wasnt helping. whatever, i used some okayish teams. obviously got owned again.

g1
:rayquaza-mega: :zygarde-complete: :ferrothorn: :arceus-dark: :arceus-water: :arceus-poison:
i wasnt in a condition to build because of bad health so i just stole a Pigeons team last minute. zen dodged a whirlpool which made the matchup really hard and i lost.

g2
:gengar-mega: :ditto: :arceus-poison: :arceus-water: :groudon-primal: :celesteela:
he brought spikes skarm + mmx and won. i dont even wanna talk about this. shoutout Thimo for building this for me tho <3 and im sorry that i lost :(

he straight up outprepped me.

week5: vs zard

g1

:rayquaza-mega: :gothitelle: :zygarde-complete: :arceus-dark: :arceus-poison: :necrozma-dusk-mane:
cookie cutter gothitelle team. i watched his replays and figured that most of his teams are super weak to dd zygarde. goth seemed like a nice option because he uses fairyceus pretty often. i had a dd glare zyggy + gar team which i wanted to use but i accidentally brought this cuz i forgot about it. but this one worked out as well so its fine.

g2

brought this 1 again because it wins vs his scarf marsh fairy poison pogre team and i was pretty sure that he was going to bring it. he did bring it and i won. ive written the description for this team 2-3 times already so not gonna bother doing it again.

Finals vs Skarph

got subbed in pretty late but i really really wanted to win this one. massive shoutout to HunterStorm , hes the only one who helped me with this series. im super tired rn so ill go over the teams pretty quickly

g1
:sableye-mega: :ditto: :arceus-ground: :arceus-rock: :ho-oh: :ferrothorn:
this team is so fire. hunter tested this vs me for his agpl game and i decided to steal it and use it for my own game instead. this is probably the most anti meta team ive ever seen. sab was a weird choice but ive literally never used it before so why not. double hazards ferro is such an annoying mon. edgequake arc core covers most of the things as well. curse ho-oh really benefits from this solid team support. he also added a ditto which takes care of everything which is not covered by these defensive mons. this was curse ho-ohs debut in a tour game and it swept which is super cool. im officially obsessed with ho-oh now btw, sorry gengar.

g2
:gengar-mega: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :marshadow: :arceus-dark: :arceus-fairy: :groudon-primal:
just realized that i accidentally brought Skarph 's team vs him... in a team tour finals, but im pretty sure that you didnt notice it so its fine. anywayy, uh yeah skarph teams are usually pretty solid. I changed this to taunt 3 attacks and cm rere dark in my own builder but i accidentally used the wrong version which had wisp gar and cm fairy. also missed 3-4 toxics and a couple of other moves so this wasnt a great game. i was pretty annoyed because it lost us the finals but ye cant really blame my luck lol.

g3
:gengar-mega: :arceus-dark: :arceus-poison: :arceus-ground: :ditto: :ferrothorn:
basically my g1 team again, except gar > sab and darkceus > ho-oh as the wall breaker. gar was sub disable, darkceus was cm rere and ferro was double hazards again. super good team. I did pretty well, won 3 50/50 towards the end but choked the fourth one because i misread the HP on my darkceus. I couldve sworn that it was 12.8 but ya w/e, idk how this happened. still wish that poisonceus didnt get every poison from jab but theres rllly not much i can do about it

garbage luck, garbage record, hours of prep wasted and yeahh thats why i didnt wanna play in agpl. little did i know that my garbage luck curse will pass on to my team, but ill talk about that in the ag subforum. this tour itself was super fun cuz i played vs the best ag players and had the best games of my life. huge shoutout to Skarph Zenithial BaconEatinAssassin HunterStorm Thimo ice-master-523 for helping me with teams. idk how i wouldve managed this without you guys. big thanks to Chloe Pigeons for drafting me and im sorry that i couldnt live upto the expectations. s/o to rest of my team for doing great as well and cheering for me. hope to play with u guys again soon
rushi out o/

I'll probably post a team dump later because I had a few interesting builds and a few fun ones I didn't end up using.
I didn't forget about posting a team dump - I just kept putting it off because it was taking ages.
I've skipped a few battles where the teams I used weren't particularly interesting.
----

Week 1 (vs In The Hills)

I wasn't really sure what to expect here, so I figured that bringing a balanced
team would cover the most options. I didn't want to bring a super standard team
though so I decided to build around a few under-rated mons.

Sub-Roost Mega Gyarados was a pretty solid set back in Gen 6 but isn't really
seen any more, and offensive Water types are generally very good in STABmons
so I decided to build around that.

Zygarde-10% was added to help with some of the mons that Gyarados struggles with,
such as Rotom-W and Toxapex. I figured that since Thousand Arrows is banned
people might be using mons like Rotom and Celesteela as their Ground immunes, so
it seemed like a nice anti-meta pick.

I think people are using Meloetta a bit more now, but at the time it was another
mon that had gone a bit under the radar and seemed like a good anti-meta pick.
Z-Happy Hour was a set I wanted to try as it seemed like a set that had good
potential to clean up late-game. If I hadn't misplayed/not bothered calcing
it likely would have swept.

The rest of the team is pretty standard bulky balance stuff. Scarf Heatran is
because my team isn't particularly fast.

Week 3 (vs KuraiTenshi26)

I was 0-2 after the first two weeks and starting to feel a bit disheartened so
I decided to go full try-hard mode and bring a fat Mega Slowbro team just to
try and get myself a win on the board.

The team has solid answers for the majority of the meta, but struggles massively
with a few mons. Most notably, Hoopa-U and Thundurus-T pretty much 6-0.
Having watched some of my opponent's replays, it didn't seem too likely that
he'd bring either of them so I took my chances and luckily it worked out.

Calm Mind Mega Slowbro is still super good - but hardly anyone uses it for some
reason. I can't complain though as it can be really annoying to face.

Week 4 (vs thimo)

Following on from my week 3 win, I decided that going with another fat team
would put me in a good position. This time I didn't want to risk getting 6-0ed
by Thundurus though so I brought one of my personal favourites: Chople Berry
Rhyperior. Aerodactyl was not yet banned at this point so Rhyperior also helped
deal with that.

Everyone told me to expect something unorthodox from thimo, so I thought that
Vincune could be a good counter-pick. Substitute and Calm Mind can stall out
any terrain/weather/gravity/trick room shenanigans. Plus Pressure is good in
STABmons since people tend to run the most powerful moves they can - which
typically have low PP.
It doesn't gain any useful new moves from the meta but I've also always been a
believer that standard OU sets can still be great in OMs.
Just because you have all these new and shiny options doesn't mean you have to
use them every time.

While I was thinking about OU sets, Volcarona also caught my attention. My theory
was that it could work similarly to how it does in OU. In the sense that it
requires a lot of support, but also just wins against many teams. The thought
of Volcarona with Tail Glow seemed pretty scary so I was determined to make it
work.

I originally had a wack Adrenaline Orb set, but after some brainstorming with
my team, we decided on Z Blue Flare instead.
I ended up giving it HP Electric minutes before the battle started, after realising
that I had no real way of breaking through Mantine. And realising that you can
just click Blue Flare 95% of the time and even resists go down.

The rest of the team is fairly standard. I can't remember what the EV spreads
were supposed to do though. So there's a 50% chance they were finely tuned to
deal with certain threats, but also a 50% chance that I randomly made them up.
Who knows.

Week 5 (vs aesf)
Game 1:

During week 4, two players brought hard stall and they both got destroyed which
raised the question of whether stall is viable in the current STABmons meta
or not.
I think it has potential so I decided it would be a good challenge to build
a stall team to use for week 5.

I ended up tweaking a Shedinja stall team that I'd had a lot of success with in
gen 6 (https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-421433946), as I figured
Shedinja stall was probably the most effective way to stall in the current meta.

The idea of the updated version was to take advantage of trappers - Pursuit Ttar,
Thousand Waves Quagsire, and Anchor Shot Celesteela - to eliminate any threats
to Shedinja and then just wall whatever is left.

It didn't end up working out - but that could possibly be due to me publicly
declaring that I was going to use stall, which led to aesf coming very prepared.

Game 2:

The concept for this team was to use unusual sets on common mons. So at team
preview it looks standard but all is not as it seems. More precisely, they are
Offstat sets - ie sets that do not use their dominant attacking stats.

I'd had some convincing wins with this team during test matches - possibly due
to the element of surprise - so I figured it would be fun to use in the tournament.
However, I ended up facing a Sticky Web team with Thundurus-Therian and Araquanid
(which has now thankfully been banned) on it, which this team was not well
equipped to deal with.

The first offstat set is Calm Mind Tapu Bulu. The high base power of Seed Flare,
plus the Grassy Terrain boost make it very powerful despite the fact it is coming
off Bulu's lower attacking stat. This set actually ended up finding its way onto
a lot of my later builds.

The second offstat set is Calm Mind Landorus-Therian. Landorus actually has a
good special attack stat and Oblivion Wing is one of the best attacking moves in
the game so this is also not a bad set. Once it has a few Calm Mind boosts,
Oblivion Wing is healing a large percentage of your health back with every hit.

The last offstat set is Choice Band Heatran. Honestly, this was added to fit the
theme. I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the other two. But choice
band STAB V-create is still very powerful.

Game 2.5:

In this exhibition match I show why Jynx is an easy S rank. Just look at its
ability to beat 4 mon teams.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-949056483

Week 6 (vs Betathunder)
Game 1:

I'd given up on the idea of building with specific players in mind, or trying to
counter-style at this point in the tournament. I was feeling more confident in
my building/playing by this point so I decided to just start bringing whatever
I felt like.

And for some reason, what I felt like at the time was a Crabominable/Gumshoos
Tailwind team. CM Bulu makes another appearance, plus Triple Fire STAB Zard Y.
I think my logic was that starting a bo3 with a wild team like this would make
the set a bit more hype.

I do feel Crab has some untapped potential in this meta though. It has good
priority STABs and a good ability. In this battle it had super effective STAB
against 5 out of 6 mons.

Game 2:

I was looking for a mon that could abuse Grassy Terrain - and somehow ended up
at Lilligant. I'd already built teams around the obvious choices like Serperior
and Mega Sceptile - so I went looking through the lower tiers for anything with
potential. Access to Quiver Dance with decent speed and spatk caught my attention
- with Roserade being a close second choice.

Lilligant ended up doing nothing, but the Mega Heracross + CB Ash Ninja
double U-turn core turned out to be pretty solid.
CB Gren without Pursuit is not ideal, but I think I ended up replacing it with
Aqua Jet since Aerodactyl was still not banned at this point.

Game 3:

This is probably one of my favourite STABmons teams of this generation (post Lele
ban at least). It's just a simple, mindless Screens/Webs Hyper Offence team.
Lead Ribombee + 5 fairly bulky set-up sweepers.

Week 7 (vs Cam)

Mid-way through building this team, I realised it looked like a really standard
AAA team so I decided to commit to that theme fully.

The Magearna set isn't that great so I'd probably replace that with SD Mega-Mawile
if I were to use this team again.

The idea of Sub Calm Mind Victini was to complement Vincune by setting up on
stuff that Suicune can't. Plus it is able to break annoying Toxapex/Celesteela
cores to help out Buzzwole.

Playoffs (vs Official Fissure)
Game 1:

After facing a few Coil/Quiver Dance Drapions on the ladder, I thought it'd be
fun to build my own team with it. I'd definitely recommend a bulkier spread (and
probably screens support) for anyone wanting to use it though.

Fighting Judgment + Hidden Power Ice Espeon is a pretty nice anti-meta set,
which matches up well against most common hazard setters.

SD Mega Mawile and Autotomize Metronome Celesteela are both great sets that I
hadn't had chance to use in OMPL yet so I decided to awkwardly shoehorn them
both into this team.
Yache Berry might seem a weird choice on Seismitoad - but the idea is that it
can take a Freeze-dry from Rotom and Toxic it to make life easier for Celesteela.

Game 3:

Having used CM Bulu a couple of times by this point, I was realising how good
Grass/Fighting coverage is the current meta. This gave me the idea of using
Virizion. Hidden Power Ice rounds out its coverage nicely - giving it something
to hit Flying types and Dragons.

Despite its great coverage, Virizion is somewhat lacking in power before it gets
any boosts. So bulky Psychic types can usually take a hit and KO it back.
To help with this, I figured Z Dark Pulse Heatran could be a neat tech.
Specs Slowbro completes the Fire-Water-Grass core. If you haven't tried this set
yet, I'd definitely recommend it. It still has the bulk to function as a physical
wall, but also has the power to nuke things.

Finals (vs plas)

Mega-Medicham has very few reliable switch-ins and is a great revenge killer
thanks to its dual priority. Banded Tyranitar takes care of the bulky Ghosts
and Psychics that wall Medicham. Eviolite Type:Null is super bulky and can
Glare stuff to make Medicham and Ttar even more threatening. Slowking is a mon
I haven't really been using that much in the current meta - mostly because of
Ash-Greninja - but it is still a solid special wall. Tapu Bulu helps with the
Ash Gren match-up. The Calm Mind set makes another appearance because I already
have enough physical attackers. Defensive Landorus-T does typical Lando things.

I'm pretty happy with how this team turned out overall. Out of all the teams I
used, this one is probably one of the better ones.

Tiebreak (vs motherlove)

For some reason, I really wanted to use Quiver Dance Buzzwole here.
It's a bit of a meme set but it's fun when it sweeps
(https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-942350541)
and I thought it could be a really hype way to end the tournament.

Nasty Plot Ash Greninja is my main wallbreaker - plus it also works well vs
offence because of its speed tier. Z Grass Knot was designed to lure stuff like
Tapu Fini and Rotom-Wash to facilitate a Buzzwole sweep later on. It is also
just a general nuke under Grassy Terrain.

The rest of the team is pretty standard. Celesteela has Energy Ball to catch
the same bulky Water types.

Team Dump:
https://pokepast.es/b430da08be978a0d
I got a bit carried away building teams over the course of the tournament as I
kept thinking of sets that seemed fun to build around - but here are most of
the ones that turned out alright. The ones near the top are the ones I was close
to using

Last edited:
Bit after the fact but I wanted to say I actually really enjoyed this OMPL. Glad to have been a part of it and I want to thank everyone who participated and helped make this an enjoyable tournament.

I don't want to tag everyone so big thank you for Chloe and Pigeons for drafting me. The draft is always stressful but I'm glad to have ended up on your team.
Shoutouts to everyone on my team who kept believing and brought us this far, y'all were awesome
Chazm brings about a feeling of safety as you know his game is in the bag. You were a big help throughout the tour, much appreciated.
GL Volkner Responsible in no small part for me coming back to this site and playing in ompl, I feel like we made a good team in BH and I really enjoyed it.
pichus GRNBLN we didn't speak too much cause I was out of the loop for ag but I always had an eye on your teams and games and really enjoyed watching both. I think you both deserve more credit.
Hassin627 mans took the reigns when the other BH players were pissin' themselves and that's all that matters. That you beat the baddest boi of the tier is the cherry on top.
Plas Your presence is always appreciated, really brings the tour to life and always there to keep the boat sailing.
a fruitshop owner absolute goat honestly, loved watching your games.
KuraiTenshi26 unfortunate that you couldn't play more but man you really came through and proved yourself. I hope to see you in future OMPLs (and hopefully in the same team as me). Hope everyone is gucci for you irl.
Shiba Ending that act debacle in true style man, I'm glad you got the chance to catch a win.

Everyone was a bit on edge by the end, but this remains my most enjoyable OMPL and I'm glad to have spent it with you.

And a special thank you to
TheCoastsOfToast vivalospride aesf y'all basically got me back in this game and made mons fun again. I love you all so much :blobnom: <3 Don't you ever forget that I love you.
Catalystic honestly a lot of people were helping us by the end, but man it really feels like we couldn't have done it without your help. So thank you.
Shoutouts Sylveon for haxing me both games :( It was a really fun series and I'm happy we got to play eachother in a tournament setting.
Racool I don't think you quite realize how much your constant support has helped me. Honestly thank you for believing in me.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed and hosted. Hope to be part of this again next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)