ORAS NU Poliwile and friends

Hi guys,

this is one of my very first attempts to build a team in ORAS NU. Any input and hints are greatly appreciated. It is built around a subpunching Poliwrath.

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall

This guy tries to switch into Scalds and other water moves. It can also very well setup a Substitute against slower mons that are scared out by a water type attack like Rhydon or by a potential Vacuum Wave like Aurorus, Pyroar and Shiftry. Adamant Focus Punch gives it the power to break through almost everything not resisting, especially at +1.

As second attacking move I decided to use STAB Waterfall over Ice Punch for significant damage against Focus Punch switchins like Charizard, Rotom and Weezing. This Poliwrath version is walled completely by mons like Mantine, Vileplume and Trevenant. Other team members will have to care for those before Poliwrath can put in work.

Mismagius (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split

This little witch can perform as an anti lead against mons like Rhydon. It prevents rocks and scares them out with a potential burn. Furthermore it can deal significant damage to everything with a status condition that is not a Normal type. It can show its stallbreaking potential against mons like Mega-Audino, Vileplume, Garbodor or Cradily wearing them down with the combination of burn, Taunt and Pain Split. Thanks to the Colbur Berry it can survive many Knock Offs, especially from defensive Mons like Sandslash, and get surprise kills or burns. It can deal with defensive Trevenant which can stop Polywrath effectively. Last but not least it prevents Earthquake spamming with levitate and blocks opposing Rapid Spin.

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 152 Def / 208 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

There is not much to say about this guy. The fish can fish for burns with Scald, keep the other members healthy with Heal Bell and absorbs electric type attacks which Poliwrath does not appreciate. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what Volt Switch and Toxic do in that kind of team :). Lanturn swiches into each variant of Manectric and Mantine which are lured in by Poliwrath and wins 1 on 1 against those.

Sandslash (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

I decided to use (Non-Alolan) Sandslash as an offensive Spinner because it is hard to predict when you play it as a lead. For example an opposing Archeops or Liepard would most of the time click Taunt turn one expecting rocks. This Sandslash can do over half immediately with Knock Off or Earthquake. It also setups against Steelix or Rhydon. Lum Berry helps against already weakened Weezing or makes it less painfull to spin away Garbador's Toxic Spikes and get rid of it with Earthquake. Even though sometimes I might prefer a defensive version of Sandslash as this team lacks a good physically defensive part.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish

This Mesprit allows us to deal with Gastrodon as well as Vileplume and Weezing. It sets up rocks against almost everything and allows to play a bit more aggressive with other mons thanks to Healing Wish. It gives us a second ground immunity and lures in dark types like Tengulist which can be predicted by double switches into Mawile.

Mawile (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch

The second potential star of this team comes from PU and hits harder than you might expect. It's bulk is quite underwhelming but thanks to its excellent typing it can switch into resisted attacks and can be brought back with healing which after leaving some destruction on the opponent's team. Fire Blast ensures that it is not walled by steel types. Ferroseed and Steelix are no Switchins at all when Mawile is played well. The strongest Play Rough in the Tier gives us something for Tengulist, Malamar and opposing Polywrath. Iron Head smacks Arktos, Cradily and Abomasnow. Sucker Punch gives us a bit of priority and gives us a garanteed one shot on Jynx.

Sorry when the analysis got a bit rushed. Feel free to ask me something and give me ideas for improvements and weaknesses I might not see.

Thanks and have a great day.

Hi, I'd like to give you a rate.

At first sight, I can see that your team has a weakness: Psychic mons. Basically, Specs Mesprit has so much fun with every team member.
I'd recommand using Steelix > Mesprit as a rocker as it can check them pretty well.
Moving on, this Poliwrath set isn't really interesting in this team: you can't instantly use any Fighting move, so it'll be harder to decently check Physical water mons; therefore, I'd recommand a Special set.
You don't have really have switch-ins to Freeze Dry or basically a Special sponge, so I think that Hitmonchan > Sandslash can be a good suggestion as it's more reliable than Sandslash and is pretty great overall.
You also don't have a reliable Fighting check, so I'd recommand using Garbodor > Mawile, as it can set up spikes/toxic spikes and also absorb the latter.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

Good luck with your team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)