Policy Review Policy Committee Vote - Evolutions of Existing Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We've had enough discussion on the subject of evolutions. It's time to see what the Policy Committee thinks. [THREAD=50319]The Policy Review thread is located here[/THREAD], for those that have not read it yet.

The Policy Committee [THREAD=48619]was formed[/THREAD] to represent the experienced members of the community that are actively involved in the CAP forum and server. These members were selected to intelligently discuss matters of CAP policy and, in the event that discussions do not produce a general consensus, then the committee must vote to decide a conclusion.

As expected, the policy review on evolutions did not yield a discernible consensus. So we will hold a formal policy vote. Eligible voters are:

• CAP Forum Moderators (Darkie and Bass)
  • Policy Committee Members
  • The most recent CAP TL (in this case Darkie, who is already a forum mod)
  • I will cast a vote, only in the case of a tie
The current Policy Committee members are:

Atyroki
Beej
Elevator Music
eric the espeon
Gothic Togekiss
Hyra
Icy Vegeta
jagged_angel
latinoheat
Mr_Goodbar
ParadOxymoron
Plus
RB Golbat
SkarmBlissCounter
SoT
tennisace0227
Tsukikage
Wyverii
X-Act​

The question to be voted on is:

"Should the CAP community pursue a project for evolving existing pokemon?"
  • A vote of "Yes", means that we will first define the process for such a project before proceeding.
  • A vote of "No", means that evolutions are inherently too problematic and/or inconsistent with CAP goals to continue pursuing.
Eligible voters should post a bold vote in this thread for Yes or No. Reasoning is not required, but preferred. If voters have posted reasoning in the PR thread, then feel free to simply reference that thread with your vote. You don't need to reiterate reasoning here. This is not a general community discussion thread -- all posts by ineligible voters will be deleted.

I will leave this thread open long enough for the committee to make their votes. If all committee members do not post in a timely manner, I will post a notice of when the poll will close.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No

If we would of done it earlier in the project I think it would of been fine, but we're this far in, and starting this just seems like it'd take us in a totally new direction. Sorry if this doesn't make as much sense, it sounded a lot better in my head. However, when it all comes down to it I just feel that this will be a lot more troublesome than expected and really isn't all that needed.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
No

My primary reasoning can be found in the discussion thread, but to summarize I feel that the only benefits to EVO are higher production rate and perhaps additional publicity. In all cases I feel the learning process will be crippled because the Pokemon we choose to evolve has a defined niche that we will merely be enhancing, or we'll pick something with a niche that isn't so well defined and we'll simply be making a CAP with EVO baggage.

No

I was gonna vote yes, because I loved some of the concepts that people had whipped up in SS... then I realized this was a dumb reason, and that EVO has no real potential anywhere else (sadly)...

Edit: Not to mention that this is just gonna take one huge shit on little cup =/

Yes

I think that given the effort and time that has been put into the CAP process, an EVO process could easily be adapted that would meet the needs that everyone has.

In addition, I think that, while the mission for CAP, works for now, there will reach a point where there are no new concepts. Some interesting concepts exists, but currently are hindered by a combination of bad stats/movepoll/abilities/typing, are not even used frequently in UU. These concepts could be resurrected by EVO, and made usable in a current environment, which would still fit the CAP mission statement.

Edit: Also, if this does happen, we wouldn't have to do an EVO for every CAP. We could have EVO happen at the end of every third CAP for example.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes

Even though it would require a very well co-ordinated process to be done well, I have enough faith in the CAP community that we'll be able to pull this off successfully.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes

Though I did not post in the PR I kept up to date with it and have discussed this several times on the server with various people.

My opinion is that if done right EVO could be a great way to explore niches that do not exist in OU by giving the Pokemon that already fit them the required power to be effective. This would be more simple and fast than a full CaP project for, say, a Pokemon that changes type in weather (Castform). There are problems to be overcome but I think that if we take the right attitude to it (basically explore the metagame's possibilitys not try to "fix" it) EVO could be a powerful tool for quick experimentation, though maybe we should have intentional gaps sometimes if the meta is changed too quickly by both projects at full production speed.

Yes

for reasons in the previous thread, but basically I haven't been compelled by any reason not to, and I think it'd benefit in drawing people into CAP.

Yes

So long as there is a concrete process which adheres to the CAP philosophy whilst maintaining a competitive focus. I agree with the reasoning of eric and RB golbat.

I emphasise the need for a water-tight process in whatever may come.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No

I believe it is impossible to run an EVO project while adhering to the philosophy of the CAP project as a whole.

Yes

As long as the process is solid and the TL works hard to keep the project competitive I think EVO will be a nice way to get more people onto the server.

EDIT- Happy B-Day gorm. Irony?

I'm going to vote Yes on this for now. If done right, this will be good, but it will be hard to do it properly. To be honest, I agree with more with Tennisace about the actual arguments, but I share X-Act's sentiment that we can make something useful out of the EVO project (if people actually interested in the process write it, unlike last time).

My vote is more I want to see what EVO can become than me agreeing with it, but the people who also vote yes seem to know what to.

Yes

I really wanted that Camerupt evolution when we voted to scrap the Farfetch'd vote, but we ended up getting nothing at all! We should give it a shot at least once. In my mind, that'd better than leaving it out behind the barn before it was even born.

Yes

As much as i've gotten to loath the idea until we actually manage to get through at least one people are going to whine about this for a long time. Hopefully it won't go so badly this time.

Yes

Given that the main goal of CAP is to explore the Metagame, I think that EVO should at least be given a trial run. I see it as a default that we will learn something new that cant be discovered through CAP. Whether or not it will turn out to be an abbreviated CAP remains to be seen. However I think it will at least bring alot of new members to the forum. If fanboyism can be controlled and competitive reasoning be promoted, I believe that the project would be a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)