Pokemon Showdown LA Story

Congrats on making it to the Orlando tourney(sorry you weren't able to win the Wii not that you really wanted it). I eagerly await pics from Yamipoli. GL on the tourney also cool shirt. Have a nice day ^^.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
awesome

i completely forgot this was yesterday.. looks like you changed your team up quite a bit zerowing unless you were pocketing the other one for orlando..

looking forward to hearing from the other people who went as well

congrats on making top 8

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I...can't believe this. The guy who beat you in the final was more or less my protegé for the tournament. I didn't directly help design his team, but I gave him a lot of advice and had a bunch of practice matches with him.

Side note: I did design the Junior division champion's team.

Nice warstory Zerowing.
Was nice meeting you and playing you in that very tough semi-final match and I had a blast of a day for this. I hope all goes well and I get to see you Orlando Florida!

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
So do any of you know approximately what hacks they checked for at this?
They put your cart in one DS and some other cart in another (didn't look like a normal game), and they ran a program. If green came up on your screen your game was good and hack free, but if it came up red it would show a list of the error codes in the game, some of them are ok so you aren't DQed just yet so they whip out a book filled with them all and determine if you are good or not. After everything is over they give you your game back.

oh god the winner's shirt

holy shit hahahahahhahahahaha I can't believe he made that out of that picture oh god lol

In any case, much congratulations my friend, and I wish you luck in Orlando. This just makes me more upset that I can't go to NYC :[

Hi!
I have a couple questions about the junior divison. I have 2 boys that have qualified for the NYC showdown.
I don't want them to compete against each other in Round 1. Is round 1 randomly chosen? or by order of registering? Would it be best if I had them register with a few people between them so that they do not compete against each other in Round 1?

How tough does the junior divison appear?

Is anyone from here going to compete in the NYC Junior?

Thanks for your help!

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
The pairings are determined by Flight number and from what I saw Flight numbers were given out randomly when you registered so you can register right next to each other and get a different Flight.

About skill level, there seemed to be a huge disparity, the kids were either really bad or really good and from what I saw they loved to use the same Pokemon.

I was there as well, the annoying teen with glasses in the Periodic Table Shirt.

Anyway, the Junior Champion got quite lucky, three Critical Hits in a row. His foe seemed like she was going to win at first, IMO, with Double Intimidate (Gyarados and Salamence).

Hariyama Fake Outs Salamence, it flinches, Gyarados does something, Dusknoir Trick Rooms.
Hariyama gets burned from Flame Orb.

Dusknoir Ice Punches Salamence, Critical Hits and KOs it. Hariyama Rock Slides Gyarados, gets a Critical Hit and KOs it. She sends out Gengar and Alakazam.

I think Dusknoir Shadow Punches/Sneaks Gengar, Critical Hits and KOs. Hariyama Facades Alakazam, it survives with ~30% Health. Alakazam Psychics Hariyama and it faints, he sends out something.

Dusknoir KOs Alakazam.

I tried to raise a team, but I underestimated how long it would take and, as such, my team was not ready for the tournament and I lost in an embarrassing way.

Did they give away any event pokemon at this? Also, I'm thinking about dropping in on orlando as I only live a few hours away (if my summer class is done by then and the fall semester hasn't started yet...When exactly is the orlando competition?). Does it seem worth attending if your not one of the battlers or would I be better off just staying home?

Good job zerowing, awesome story. I'll be heading to Orlando for the TCG World Championships, it'd be cool to meet you and other Smogoners over there.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
That was a great read, and turns out the guy who beat POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN won the entire thing lol. I can't wait to read about Orlando, 5 stars.

I totally went to this. Though I spent most of the time puppydogeyeing cuddles off of Yamipoli and making out with my boyfriend (Blueki), I still saw everyone. XP

CPUV2.0 I totally saw that shirt, so that must have been you.

From what the officials said the hack-checking device only checked the party. I don't know if they were bullshitting though or just plain had no idea. Yamipoli took a million pictures of the boxes with the DS shells and of the slots so I'm sure eventually anyone who didn't get to go and was curious about that will get to see? It took a bunch of Pokesavs and other "Hi I'm not legit" Pokemon, I really think it was only doing like a stat check, like PBR.

Weakestlink33, nope, no event pokemnos.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm still a little confused as to how you lost in the finals to a mono water team but you're going to the finals.
I'm not surprised. Mono-water is the deadliest type of mono team - next to mono-bug, of course. :P

Oh and OmegaDonut and Syberia pretty much match the mental pictures I had of them exactly.
I, uh... don't know what to make of that!

Looking back, I think I should just put a stereotypical archaeologist hat on my head and said I was cosplaying as a Ruin Maniac. Or a Mantine doll on my shoulder and say I was Steve Irwin.

Awesome event. Shame that there weren't any girls there in the top 8 :P
There were, actually! A girl won second place in the Juniors' Division. The poor girl was haxed so badly by Ice Punches and Rock Slides that critted right through her double Intimidate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)